Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 1,152 Words
  • 3,072 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Summer Job - 10. Rodney in Distress

Phillip saw Jeffry Cummings arrive at the second floor with a slightly younger boy named Rodney in tow. He opened the door and beckoned the pair into his office. They both looked troubled.

Jeffry said, “So this is where you’ve been. We’ve been looking for you.”

“I just got assigned to my new office at lunch. What’s up. You two don’t look too happy.”

Rodney said, “Jeffry is my cousin. He said I should talk to you but, it’s really embarrassing... its guy stuff I just can’t talk to mom about and... I need some advice.”

Phillip said, “I understand. This is just between us and goes no further.”

Jeffry added helpfully, “He’s cool Rodney. He’ll tell you what you need to do or, he’s smart enough to find out.”

Rodney sighed and said, “Well it started over the weekend. One of my balls feels funny. It’s sore and feels like its heavy or something.”

Phillip said, “I’ve got to ask a couple of embarrassing question Rodney. Aren’t you twelve?”

Rodney nodded and said, “I’ll be thirteen soon and in seventh grade this year.”

Phillip said as delicately as he could, “Have you started to... cum yet?” and made a jacking motion with his hand.

Rodney giggled and said, “Yeah, it’s my new favorite hobby. Me and my friend race to see who can spurt fastest and furthest. It makes me a little hard just thinking of it.”

Phillip chuckled, put his hand on Rodney’s arm and said, “That’s OK buddy. That’s every boy’s favorite hobby. Some of us can’t go to sleep at night until we nut.”

That had the effect Phillip had been hoping for. There was still a slight blush but, Rodney laughed and smiled. “That’s for sure. I give my box of Kleenexes pure hell.”

Phillip said, “One of my friend’s mother is a nurse. I can call her and let you talk to her. She’ll know what’s best.”

Rodney grudgingly said, “Well, OK. It’s one of my balls after all.”

Phillip texted Mrs. Carlson: Mrs. Carlson. One of the boys here at the Y has come to me with a medical issue. Would you please call me back and talk to him?

Mrs. Carlson texted back: Wait one. Will call.

They waited less than a minute and Phillip’s phone rang.

Phillip answered and Mrs. Carlson asked to speak to Rodney.

She talked to him, and he reluctantly answered her questions and finally whined, “Do I have to?”

Rodney got a little teary and said, “Well OK. I’m handing the phone back to Phillip now.”

Mrs. Carlson didn’t pull any punches. She said, “Phillip, we need to see him right away. Bring him to the ER. Can we get in touch with his parents?”

Phillip asked Rodney, “Can I get your Mom’s number?”

Rodney sighed and said, “This just gets better and better.”

“Mrs. Carlson, I’m going to put you on hold for a minute. I am going to try a three-way call. If the call drops, call me right back.”

He put Mrs. Carlson on hold, dialed the number, and it answered on the second ring, “Martha Jefferson.”

“Mrs. Jefferson, I’m Phillip Wright. I work at the Y. I have Mrs. Carlson, RN on the line, and I’m going to bring her on.”

Phillip brought Mrs. Carlson into the conversation, “Mrs. Jefferson, this is Mrs. Carlson— she’s a nurse at County. Please tell Mrs. Jefferson what she needs to know.”

Mrs. Carlson said, “I’m sorry to have to meet you this way Mam. Phillip is a good friend of my son and all the kids at the Y think of him as a good, smart big brother. They come to him with icky boy questions they’re too embarrassed to talk to their Mom’s about. Rodney is complaining of symptoms that are consistent with early stage testicular cancer. We need to see him yesterday. If it is what we think, it’s imperative we get it before it spreads. I want Phillip to bring him to the hospital, and you can meet us here.”

Mrs. Jefferson said, “Oh my God. Thank you. Thank you both so much. I’m on my way.”

Phillip took them by the office and told a stunned Mr. Campbell that with Rodney’s mother’s verbal consent, he was taking the boy to the hospital. Jeffry insisted that he ride with them.

It was about a fifteen-minute drive and Rodney started crying. Jeffry put his arms around him and held him in a hug. Phillip found a parking place in the emergency lot and carried Rodney inside. Shirtless and wearing only a Speedo, Jeffry elected to wait in the car.

Mrs. Carlson was waiting with a wheelchair to take Rodney away, but he would have none of it. Phillip had to follow holding his hand.

They took him up to the fourth floor to an area marked Urology and, Mrs. Jefferson was already there. They had to take him in but, Rodney needed hugs from his mother and Phillip first.

Once he was inside Mrs. Jefferson said, “You’re Philip?”

“Yes Mam.”

With tears in her eyes, she engulfed Phillip in a hug and said, “Thank you for my son’s life. They told me that if it had gone on much longer the cancer could have spread and, we might have lost him.”

Phillip sputtered, “I’m just glad I could help Mam. The kids seem to like me and most of their questions are easy, common sense stuff. I knew this was over my head so, I reached out to Randy’s Mom... I mean Mrs. Carlson. She got the ball rolling.” Inwardly he winced at his unintentional pun.

She smiled brightly and said, “Well, I’m absolutely delighted Rodney has a good, smart, big brother on call. Every boy should. You did a fine thing today and I’m profoundly grateful.”

Mrs. Carlson came out and said, “Dr. Kramer is looking at him now. It looks like we caught it early. If all goes well, we’ll have him home by the weekend Mrs. Mayor.”

Phillip thought Mayor? “I’ve got Jeffry in my car so I’d better get back.”

Mayor Jefferson said, “Thank you again Phillip. I hope you’ll come over and visit when we get him home.”

“Call or text me when he can have visitors. I’ll bring a few of his friends by.”

Phillip managed to escape after a few more hugs and effusive praise from both Mrs. Jefferson and Carlson.

 

As he went downstairs, Phillip texted Brice: Something came up. I had to leave but, I’ll be back in about an hour.

On the way down the stairs Brice texted back: We met some of your friends in the mat room. Seth, Timmy, Billy, Owen, Mikie and Randy say hi, and they ask for your vote.

Knowing exactly what they were thinking about Brice and Tanner, Phillip texted back: Tell them my vote is yes.

Copyright © 2021 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 16
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, what a great chapter. Philip is becoming a big brother to alot of these boys. He really helped Rodney, preventing a far worse situation.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

This chapter is a perfect example of why many of the boys at the Y want Phillip to be their big brother! It also shows his caring and compassion for the guys. Big Brother is a perfect fit for him! And thank goodness Jeffry convinced Rodney to talk to Phillip. Thanks. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The problem with a situation like Rodney has is that it can be very scary to the boy and they’re embarrassed at the thought of having to talk to their moms about it. I had a friend go through something similar to this situation and it turned out that his testicle had to be removed to keep him from getting cancer. He’s doing better now and from what his grandmother told me is that he shows no symptoms of infection now and he’s back going all out again like a normal teenaged boy.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..