Jump to content
    Parker Owens
  • Author
  • 206 Words
  • 2,334 Views
  • 7 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Occasional Poetry - 46. Thunder and The Universal Gas Constant

u>Warnings for technical language and equations. Universal Gas Constant is dedicated to Adi, whose challenge it was to conceive it, and who deserves my thanks for making me try. All errors of any sort or description are mine, of course.
 
Thunder
 
You hear the thunder rumble far,
despite the distance, it may jar
the listener to think it wise
to close the windows in the car.
 
For thunder is not seen with eyes,
but still we know it's not some guys
in heaven dropping bowling balls,
but lightning's pulse that heats the skies.
 
As charges flash celestial halls,
the air surrounding so appalls
with thirty thousand kelvins* plus;
a jolt the nearest cloud befalls.
 
The fire expands the air, and thus
a rapid shockwave makes a fuss;
with your embraces on a par,
which in our chamber, we'll discuss.
 
 
 
Universal Gas Constant
 
A mole of gas may be ideal,
at least, that's how the chemists feel,
but energy and heat relate
in ways that laymen think surreal.
 
Now pressured volume will create
some form of energy elate
in Kelvin's oft-discussed degrees,
times moles and sums commensurate.
 
This constant number, if you please,
is universal, to appease
a host of different units used
in PV = nRT's.
 
Your face appears a mite confused,
In this you might be well excused,
for if a torrid kiss I steal,
just how much pressure is suffused?
 
div>*Kelvins refers to degrees Kelvin, the temperature scale which begins at absolute zero. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin for more information.
 
In the poem, pronounce the letters and symbols exactly as written. P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of a gas, T is the temperature in degrees Kelvin, and R is the Universal Gas Constant, the subject of the poem. You can find out more about the Universal Gas Constant here http://ch301.cm.utexas.edu/gases/ideal-gas-law/idealgaslaw-all.php, or here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_constant .
 
If you leave a review, you need not show your scratchwork. English imperial units will be accepted.
 
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

:worship: :worship: :worship:

 

Physics and Chemistry!!! :o What next Law and Accountancy???

 

Just wonderful poems Parker. You are giving new trend of teaching perspectives. Bravo...

 

~Emi.

Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 04:18 AM, Emi GS said:

:worship: :worship: :worship:

 

Physics and Chemistry!!! :o What next Law and Accountancy???

 

Just wonderful poems Parker. You are giving new trend of teaching perspectives. Bravo...

 

~Emi.

Alas, I shall stick to maths and sciences for the time being. But perhaps you enjoyed these despite their kind of esoteric subject areas.

Link to comment

Wow ... you done good. Thought moles were little underground critters.. hehe. Seriously now.. those are both wonderul!!

Link to comment
On 09/24/2016 06:27 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Wow ... you done good. Thought moles were little underground critters.. hehe. Seriously now.. those are both wonderul!!

I thought the same thing about moles, and it was almost my undoing in Chem class all those years ago. Couldn't get the image of gassy moles out of my mind...I am glad you liked these. They were fun to write!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

*flashbacks to chemistry class* Yet another seamless pairing of science and poetry. Never would have thunk it possible... lol Well done, as always. :)

Link to comment

Gassy moles... grassy knolls ... I think there's a poem for you in there :) .
Love this:
The fire expands the air, and thus
a rapid shockwave makes a fuss;
with your embraces on a par,
which in our chamber, we'll discuss.

 


I love how even your nerdy(yes, I said it... nerdy) poems always come back to the sharing of love... I might scratch my head occasional-ly (see what I did there?) but I usually get the message... because you are clever... and romantic... thanks for these, my friend. A talented man with thunderous gas indeed... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

"Your face appears a mite confused"

 

Yes, that's me :blushing Again, it's all well above my poetry pay-grade....

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..