Crazyshadows13

What did your parents do?

On 7/29/2014 at 2:01 PM, jamessavik said:

My dad punched me so hard I crashed into and broke through the dry wall.

I was kept inside without contact with anyone for weeks except for church. Just church- no Sunday school or social stuff.

Tell the truth, I don't want to think about it anymore.

Im glad that is over now. It's really hard to move through stuff like that. They never hit me hard or anything but still the stuff they did haunt me till this day. I still have nightmares about it sometimes. Best thing we can do is to live the best life we can and be who we are and surround ourselves with calm, gentle, kind, and open minded people who will support us no matter what because they see us for who we are as a person. It hurts and is infuriating to think about but I'd like to think we are better now because of what we went theough. It made us able to understand and feel for others. The world wouldn't be able to function without people like us. You are the glue that keeps people together and the support for people who are falling apart. I love you *hugs*

• Like 1
  • Love 3

They did way too much. It's traumatizing but life goes on. My grandmother one time came up to me and said to me, " Don't be gay! I read online that gay people play with the butt!!!" With a horrified expression on her face. I definitely snickered at that. I miss her so much. She was my biggest supporter. My biggest regret is that I wasnt strong enough to come out to her and wasn't able to be there for her on her death bed.

Edited by jryski
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, jryski said:

They did way too much. It's traumatizing but life goes on. My grandmother one time came up to me and said to me, " Don't be gay! I read online that gay people play with the butt!!!" With a horrified expression on her face. I definitely snickered at that. I miss her so much. She was my biggest supporter. My biggest regret is that I wasnt strong enough to come out to her and wasn't able to be there for her on her death bed.

That's pretty funny, what your grandmother said. I don't think that not coming out to her has anything to do with strength, though. That stuff is hard, and sometimes we worry about the feelings of others as well. Not just about whether they'll accept us, but also how it'll make them feel. I don't think I'll ever come out to my grandmother, not out of worry about her accepting me, but because she wouldn't understand and it would be distressing to her. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

That's pretty funny, what your grandmother said. I don't think that not coming out to her has anything to do with strength, though. That stuff is hard, and sometimes we worry about the feelings of others as well. Not just about whether they'll accept us, but also how it'll make them feel. I don't think I'll ever come out to my grandmother, not out of worry about her accepting me, but because she wouldn't understand and it would be distressing to her. 

You're definitely right. It's still sad but you're right.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, drown said:

I told my dad when I was 17. We were in the kitchen. After working up the necessary courage, I calmed myself and simply said, "Dad, I'm gay." (in German). He was silent for a moment and said, "this is worse than the death of your mother. Go to your room."

We just never really talked about it again and after a few weeks, things seemed to be back to normal. I wasn't going to bring it up again. I had moved away to study and when I had my first serious relationship, I told my father that I wanted him to meet someone. So he met the man of my dreams when he came to visit for dinner. It was a good evening. His only response was to later tell me on the phone that he had bought a bigger guest bad if we wanted to come visit him together. I cried.

Fast forward 18 years—I'm living with the man of my dreams and the relationship with my father couldn't be better. I guess this is an "it get's better" story.

Thats beautiful! 😢😢😢

• Love 3

Even though this section of the forum is for young gays I thought some of you may be interested in what it was like to come out to your parents in the 1970’s.

I didn’t have to come out to my mother. Like so many mother’s her instincts had alerted her to me being ‘different’ very early on. Her only comment was to say to me one day “ I don’t care if you turn into a queen but if you turn into a really dizzy, queeny queen that would be too much". 

Soon after my mother died suddenly and my father re-married. Came home one day to find he’d moved out. Took me over a month to discover he’d married a local woman and was living in a boarding house in another suburb. He didn’t attempt to contact me so I rented a room to a friend to make ends meet. About two years later he made contact by writing me a snail mail letter. ( no internet then). It was short and to the point informing me he’d re-married and as his new wife ‘. . . . didn’t want to live with a pervert’. I was given a week to vacate the family home. Some thirty years later he phoned me starting off with a load of superficial chat. I asked him why he’d finally contacted me ” Oh, Molly died last week and I’m lonely”  At first I had no idea who he was taking about. Then it hit me, this must be my step-mother’s name. I ended up caring for him in his last days. Something I still have doubts about. Even now at age 73 I find myself thinking I should have let the old bastard rot.

The other side of this saga was having to learn to be totally idependent at an early age. Luckily I found a brilliant job with the federal govt looking after foreign students and never looked back.

The oddest thing about all this is the family history on my father’s side. His brother (also gay but very closeted) took me aside when I was about 16 and filled my in. My Great, Great Grandfather had been of the Welsh landed gentry, Supreme Court Barrister, church elder, organist and chiormaster. Every year he and his wife entertained the chior, bishop and other church dignitaries ( I wonder at that term) to a ‘Pleasant Sunday Afternoon’ at the family pile. This particular year Great, Great Grandma was taking the bishop, choir etc on a tour of the new orchid house when a breeze blew up stamming the door locking them in. Great, Great Grandma unpeturbed advised the ladies (and the bishop?) to lift their skirts and exit via the back door through the stables. There they surprised great, great, grandpa fucking ( permitted to use that term here?) the stablehand. 

Arrested and placed on trial he was (due to his connections with the court etc) given a chioce between hanging and transportation to the penal colony of Australia.

That’s how the family came to live in Australia.  

So why am I here now? Nothing really to do with being gay but due to my view of where our species is dragging us - another topic for another part of the forum maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, Dissily Mordentroge said:

Even though this section of the forum is for young gays I thought some of you may be interested in what it was like to come out to your parents in the 1970’s.

I didn’t have to come out to my mother. Like so many mother’s her instincts had alerted her to me being ‘different’ very early on. Her only comment was to say to me one day “ I don’t care if you turn into a queen but if you turn into a really dizzy, queeny queen that would be too much". 

Soon after my mother died suddenly and my father re-married. Came home one day to find he’d moved out. Took me over a month to discover he’d married a local woman and was living in a boarding house in another suburb. He didn’t attempt to contact me so I rented a room to a friend to make ends meet. About two years later he made contact by writing me a snail mail letter. ( no internet then). It was short and to the point informing me he’d re-married and as his new wife ‘. . . . didn’t want to live with a pervert’. I was given a week to vacate the family home. Some thirty years later he phoned me starting off with a load of superficial chat. I asked him why he’d finally contacted me ” Oh, Molly died last week and I’m lonely”  At first I had no idea who he was taking about. Then it hit me, this must be my step-mother’s name. I ended up caring for him in his last days. Something I still have doubts about. Even now at age 73 I find myself thinking I should have let the old bastard rot.

The other side of this saga was having to learn to be totally idependent at an early age. Luckily I found a brilliant job with the federal govt looking after foreign students and never looked back.

The oddest thing about all this is the family history on my father’s side. His brother (also gay but very closeted) took me aside when I was about 16 and filled my in. My Great, Great Grandfather had been of the Welsh landed gentry, Supreme Court Barrister, church elder, organist and chiormaster. Every year he and his wife entertained the chior, bishop and other church dignitaries ( I wonder at that term) to a ‘Pleasant Sunday Afternoon’ at the family pile. This particular year Great, Great Grandma was taking the bishop, choir etc on a tour of the new orchid house when a breeze blew up stamming the door locking them in. Great, Great Grandma unpeturbed advised the ladies (and the bishop?) to lift their skirts and exit via the back door through the stables. There they surprised great, great, grandpa fucking ( permitted to use that term here?) the stablehand. 

Arrested and placed on trial he was (due to his connections with the court etc) given a chioce between hanging and transportation to the penal colony of Australia.

That’s how the family came to live in Australia.  

So why am I here now? Nothing really to do with being gay but due to my view of where our species is dragging us - another topic for another part of the forum maybe. 

That's a fascinating piece of family history right there.

• Love 1

I was sick to my stomach with worries when I told my family as we sat around the dinner table.

My older sister snorted; "Ya think?!"

My older brother; "You finally figured that out?  Pass the potatoes."

My dad; "Same rules apply.  No closed bedroom doors if you have company."

My mom; "Oh!  A friend of mine at work has the cutest son!"

Sort of anticlimactic. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

It was sort of naturally between us cause I started living on my own in another country quite early and they were just calling me to check up if everything's ok and I just told them about my bf and they were like fine, hope to see both of you here, and after a while we came together and felt comfortable enough. anyways, I'm not sure whether they felt bad about it a first but I'm glad that if they did they managed to figure that out 

• Like 1
  • Love 1