Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

That is what happens when people who don't understand teens try to write about them. Would be like me trying to write about being a victim who survived Chernoble. I have no clue so could not do it well.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

That is what happens when people who don't understand teens try to write about them. Would be like me trying to write about being a victim who survived Chernoble. I have no clue so could not do it well.

Sometimes I think it is a case of not only not knowing your subject but also not doing any research to be able to present your subject logically either. You have to love a story where you can imagine meeting the characters in the real world. 

• Like 4

Man, this was like getting to the party after the cake was served... Sometimes work just gets in the way of a great discussion.... :/

Canadian hugs are very welcome around here. Sorry 1810, tim may get a longer lasting one while I try to feel him up.

We all read for different reasons. Some seek solace, some escape, and some will read anything put in front of them. Writers I think function in a similar manner. We all write for different reasons and they can change with time. CJ began during a dark period in my life, it was my way of affirming life didn't all have to be angst and sadness. I do believe in HEA eandings, it's the unicorns, floating hearts and rainbows I can't stomach. Well maybe a rainbow here and there's okay considering all the gay people in the story. :P

The one character I killed wasn't anyone readers had grown attached to so there wasn't a big push back. Hell I haven't even gotten to the point that death will make sense. There will be more death  in the future, let's see what happens then. But I promise there's a good reason behind those.

:o Stop it! I don't care how logical it is, there is no one, I can imagine being dead right now except for tertiary players.  And what's wrong with unicorns and floating rainbows!

***while reading this exchange, Mann wrings his hands maniacally knowing what comes in the future***

Muhahahaha....

That's just not right! 

• Like 1

Man, this was like getting to the party after the cake was served... Sometimes work just gets in the way of a great discussion.... :/

:o Stop it! I don't care how logical it is, there is no one, I can imagine being dead right now except for tertiary players.  And what's wrong with unicorns and floating rainbows!

That's just not right! 

I'm still stuck on the super *cough*cough* hug I'm gonna get :)

• Like 2

Well in this case it works and there's enough adults around to keep him honest. Too many stories have teens doing god knows what without an adult in sight and they talk and react like they are 45.  When I was a kid, there was shit i didnt know.. i thought I did, but I didnt and that's what many people get wrong in their teen stories.

That's a great comment tim!

What's funny is that in my 18 Weeks, which has a plethora of teenage characters, most appropriately clueless, the most complaints I get are from that exact cluelessness. :rolleyes:    I guess in fiction, readers want the characters to know everything, whereas in real life (especially at 15) you only have small pieces and have to make your best guess about the rest.

• Like 2

I'm still stuck on the super *cough*cough* hug I'm gonna get :)

If I thought it would do anything, I'd tell Mike, but he's probably laughing as usual... 

What's funny is that in my 18 Weeks, which has a plethora of teenage characters, most appropriately clueless, the most complaints I get are from that exact cluelessness. :rolleyes:    I guess in fiction, readers want the characters to know everything, whereas in real life (especially at 15) you only have small pieces and have to make your best guess about the rest.

Huff and sigh....I'll take that under advisement... Although, I'm not so bad..m

My biggest complaint was David's father not actively participating in family life. You did a pretty good job dealing with that in the last chapter.

Tim and I discussed the preponderence of stories with teens before, trying to figure out why. I think there's a lot of reasons, from good to disgusting, I fell into it by accident (just check anything else I've written, can't recall any other kids) and I'm lucky I have a bunch of nieces and nephews to draw inspiration from.

If I thought it would do anything, I'd tell Mike, but he's probably laughing as usual... 

Michael and I would end up being best of friends. Tim would get hugged front and back :D

maybe you're right, but it sends me crazy, so I just dont read that stuff personally... 

yes he'd be laughing ... he knows.. i dont keep secrets and if i try.. he usually knows.. 

My biggest complaint was David's father not actively participating in family life. You did a pretty good job dealing with that in the last chapter.

Tim and I discussed the preponderence of stories with teens before, trying to figure out why. I think there's a lot of reasons, from good to disgusting, I fell into it by accident (just check anything else I've written, can't recall any other kids) and I'm lucky I have a bunch of nieces and nephews to draw inspiration from.

Michael and I would end up being best of friends. Tim would get hugged front and back :D

Maybe i dont want to read them because,  i never really got to be a teenager and  maybe people like to write them because they are trying to make it right this time... just a thought

I'm afraid of what you and Mike would get up to... with me in the middle.. 

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Re: spikey's query about Harley's parents.

Hey Carlos, I know it was only a "bit moment" but somewhere, most likely after an interaction with Cesar and Brett and how they treated him, Harley did make mention of his dad's view of his hyperness and talkative behaviour. It was something akin to shut up, cease and desist, or that's enough. Not sure if there was anything truly negative or disparaging behind the dad's remarks, but the way Harley relayed this information, I got the feeling that the dad wasn't very tolerant of Harley's being the way he is. Hence, Harley loving being with CJ, Cesar and Cap. I'm thinkin it was a dinner scene with his folks, but it was the dad's comment that stuck with me seeing as how we had all come to love Harley and his uniqueness by that point.  The dad's attitude didn't sit right with me. 

PS: After today's chapter ending, I think we should be calling you Mr. Cliffie from now on... :P

• Like 1

Re: spikey's query about Harley's parents.

Hey Carlos, I know it was only a "bit moment" but somewhere, most likely after an interaction with Cesar and Brett and how they treated him, Harley did make mention of his dad's view of his hyperness and talkative behaviour. It was something akin to shut up, cease and desist, or that's enough. Not sure if there was anything truly negative or disparaging behind the dad's remarks, but the way Harley relayed this information, I got the feeling that the dad wasn't very tolerant of Harley's being the way he is. Hence, Harley loving being with CJ, Cesar and Cap. I'm thinkin it was a dinner scene with his folks, but it was the dad's comment that stuck with me seeing as how we had all come to love Harley and his uniqueness by that point.  The dad's attitude didn't sit right with me. 

PS: After today's chapter ending, I think we should be calling you Mr. Cliffie from now on... :P

Harley's dad was probably exhausted. He has to deal with his son's hyperactivity constantly, Cesar and Brett get him in small doses LOL I have some backgroung for Harley's family but it won't come out for a while.

The master of cliffies around here is CJ! (C James, that is) I can't hold a candle to the old goat. It's only been 2 little ones so far in this book :P

I simply wanted to see what people would guess the message was all about and from whom!

• Site Moderator

Harley's dad was probably exhausted. He has to deal with his son's hyperactivity constantly, Cesar and Brett get him in small doses LOL I have some backgroung for Harley's family but it won't come out for a while.

The master of cliffies around here is CJ! (C James, that is) I can't hold a candle to the old goat. It's only been 2 little ones so far in this book :P

I simply wanted to see what people would guess the message was all about and from whom!

Guessing who is sending the texts - I am thinking it is the same person (can you send a text to more than one person :unsure: ) is really giving me pause for thought. CJ and Chipper's comment isn't much help illuminating exactly what has occurred either...

Oh well, you know what I'll be doing next Friday, don't you? :P

• Like 1

Guessing who is sending the texts - I am thinking it is the same person (can you send a text to more than one person :unsure: ) is really giving me pause for thought. CJ and Chipper's comment isn't much help illuminating exactly what has occurred either...

Oh well, you know what I'll be doing next Friday, don't you? :P

I'm sure there's a limit on the number of recipients but texts can be sent to several people at the same time. My brothers and I do it all the time and usually include the wives and the kids if appropriate.

I'm sure there's a limit on the number of recipients but texts can be sent to several people at the same time. My brothers and I do it all the time and usually include the wives and the kids if appropriate.

Yes group texting is possible. My aunt unfortunately figured that out a couple of years ago and used to send out all kinds of stupid texts to our entire family. I think the limit for me the last time I sent one was like 8 or 10 recipients.

Anyway, Carlos can only be the master of cliffies when they don't confuse me. :D

I get to the end of the chapter and I'm thinking "Wait what? Was that a cliffhanger? What just happened? Maybe he just decided to end the chapter that way. That's weird."

Regarding "teenage" stories, I do tend to read a lot of them, but then again I tend to read a lot of anything that catches my interest. I don't really consider CJ to be a teenage story personally, because he sometimes acts a lot more mature than a typical teen, but then there's times when he acts like every annoying teen you've ever seen. But he's surrounded by a bunch of other people who aren't teens and their tales get woven into the narrative and become super important as well.

As for why I read any teen stories, I really like coming of age type stories and romances and a lot of those just happen to feature teenagers in high school. CJ though is less those and just more of a general drama, though the kid does seem like to learn a lot from his Dads and uncles.

Edited by spikey582
  • Like 1

. PS: After today's chapter ending, I think we should be calling you Mr. Cliffie from now on... :P

. It's only been 2 little ones so far in this book :P

Carlos, It is only chapter 2!

• Like 3

Yes group texting is possible. My aunt unfortunately figured that out a couple of years ago and used to send out all kinds of stupid texts to our entire family. I think the limit for me the last time I sent one was like 8 or 10 recipients.

Anyway, Carlos can only be the master of cliffies when they don't confuse me. :D

I get to the end of the chapter and I'm thinking "Wait what? Was that a cliffhanger? What just happened? Maybe he just decided to end the chapter that way. That's weird."

Regarding "teenage" stories, I do tend to read a lot of them, but then again I tend to read a lot of anything that catches my interest. I don't really consider CJ to be a teenage story personally, because he sometimes acts a lot more mature than a typical teen, but then there's times when he acts like every annoying teen you've ever seen. But he's surrounded by a bunch of other people who aren't teens and their tales get woven into the narrative and become super important as well.

As for why I read any teen stories, I really like coming of age type stories and romances and a lot of those just happen to feature teenagers in high school. CJ though is less those and just more of a general drama, though the kid does seem like to learn a lot from his Dads and uncles.

I tend to read a little bit of everything, but the teen stories are so abundant I don't follow many of them. Anyway, I prefer beef to chicken even if Kitt had some doubts recently.

CJ started out with a different main character. The kid took over the story and I was thinking the other day it was the right thing to do. It gave me the opportunity to use him as the axis around which I could weave a bunch of different stories using mostly adults as the stars of each. And it gave me the perfect way to pontificate on issues I consider important by having CJ lear about those subjects with the help of the adults.

CJ has been scared and angry a lot over the year he's been in DC. But each instance has been different and he's come out of them stronger every time. I hope I can keep that streak going.

• Like 2

It's such a short lived event the pink actually makes it more memorable. The must be millions of blooms involved.

As for the house, Kitt is correct. Bloody authors are allowed poetic license. Says so in our collective bargaining agreement. Did you go by there to check out the places I wrote about?

I'm at leaast the second writer to take liberties with that house. In The Exorcist, Blatty has it right next to the stairs and disregards the courtyard and plants between them. I also made it a three story house instead of just two.

Most of my locatios are real, some are adapted and a couple are pure fiction. Danno's 'warehouse' exists and it's located right where I say, but it's just a warehouse. Rogo's next door is entirely fictional. I think there's a small office building in that location.

The house in Alexandria was fiction. The dock's real but it's shared by the townhouses around it instead of it being the sole property of one house.

Mary's place is technically there also, but I've take liberties with it also. But I put a driveway between both places and gave them garages in the back.

Of course you have poetic license - just teasing..... :boy:

Our visit to DC was planned well before I found the CJ series, but the story was a welcome inspiration as to which sights in DC to see. By sheer coincidence we actually stayed in Georgetown, and it was really good to see the story's setting for real. As I'm living in Europe, I'll probably not get that opportunity again. So, thanks a lot for providing an extra reason for a memorable vacation! :worship:

• Like 1

Our visit to DC was planned well before I found the CJ series, but the story was a welcome inspiration as to which sights in DC to see. By sheer coincidence we actually stayed in Georgetown, and it was really good to see the story's setting for real. As I'm living in Europe, I'll probably not get that opportunity again. So, thanks a lot for providing an extra reason for a memorable vacation! :worship:

I'm delighted I provided some inspiration. So far I've concentrated on describing well known sights, but hope to throw in some obscure ones in the future. I'm glad your vacation was memorable. Washington is a city I never get tired of visiting.

• Site Moderator

*Pause button stabbed*

Low blow mom! Grounding punishments should not include denying Patrick a chance to see his dad and his pops. Unless he committed a murder or high treason their isn't any justifications for this because she's punishing Tom and JP too!  :angry:

So a bit on the melodramatic side, but doesn't she understand that being with Tom and JP could help with corralling Patrick's behaviour? Also, she is punishing them too and that's just not right with how little Tom has been with Patrick.

Okay, so I haven't gotten to the details regarding his transgression, but I don't think that matters because dollars to doughnuts it has to be more of the same of what he's been dealing with already.

Grrr!

*Pause button released*

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 4

*Pause button stabbed*

Low blow mom! Grounding punishments should not include denying Patrick a chance to see his dad and his pops. Unless he committed a murder or high treason their isn't any justifications for this because she's punishing Tom and JP too!  :angry:

So a bit on the melodramatic side, but doesn't she understand that being with Tom and JP could help with corralling Patrick's behaviour? Also, she is punishing them too and that's just not right with how little Tom has been with Patrick.

Okay, so I haven't gotten to the details regarding his transgression, but I don't think that matters because dollars to doughnuts it has to be more of the same of what he's been dealing with already.

Grrr!

*Pause button released*

I had much similar thoughts about this, they've barely just started to reestablish that relationship, not exactly the best time to treat going to stay with dad for a week the same as not letting Patrick go with his buddies to the baseball game or something. However I didn't consider it a malicious punishment, and since we don't have details on what exactly happened, I didn't want to judge too harshly. It also helped that Tom was headed up there to spend time with them and talk to the ex. She's obviously having trouble with Patrick, he's at that age when boys start acting out more (those damn puberty hormones don't help) and he's dealing with stuff at this age that Brad certainly didn't have to deal with. This upheaval in the family dynamic, and the fallout with the extended family has caused a lot of problems for Patrick, probably much more so than Brad. Mom doesn't know what to do, and I've my own predictions about a solution that will work for everyone.

As a side note Carlos, you know your story has to be pretty good when it causes this much discussion about side characters that got a brief mention and weren't even "on-screen" as it were. :)

• Like 3

I'm reserving judgement on mom till I find out just what Paddy did. I would think seeing dad is pretty important to him right now, and withholding that should be kept for a whopper transgression, something that if mom doesn't deal with quickly could go really bad.

• Like 3