The Drop in Centre

4 hours ago, CassieQ said:

That is the worst part of getting older, in my opinion.  My right shoulder has been killing me for the past several days.  My crime?  Carrying my whiny 3 year old nephew for about ten minutes while walking to our parking spot downtown.  He can't be more than 30 or so pounds.  

The funniest thing for me ...

If I don't work out for more than three days, my shoulders, hips, and lower back all begin to ache. If I work out too much, I'll almost certainly injure my left shoulder. It's a matter of threading the needle between those two things. Working out is maintenance for my body, but too much is asking for punishment later. About fifty minutes a day seems to be the magic spot now. It has taken years for me to figure this out, but that's where my body is at this point in time. I say it like that because I know it'll change once more, and I'll have to adjust to some unknown, new normal.

I truly envy people in their mid-fifties or older with great physiques. I'd love to be ABLE to put in the kind of work required for that, but this shell is simply incapable of it. Oh well. We work with what we've got.

This is a bit of a funny note. I had a recent vaccination, and the guy administering it gripped my deltoid and said, "Wayne, you need to relax."
"Yeah, I am. Go for it."
"Re... really?"
"Yep."

So ... that felt good. I don't look like I work out, but I feel like it. Even to others. LOL

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

The funniest thing for me ...

If I don't work out for more than three days, my shoulders, hips, and lower back all begin to ache. If I work out too much, I'll almost certainly injure my left shoulder. It's a matter of threading the needle between those two things. Working out is maintenance for my body, but too much is asking for punishment later. About fifty minutes a day seems to be the magic spot now. It has taken years for me to figure this out, but that's where my body is at this point in time. I say it like that because I know it'll change once more, and I'll have to adjust to some unknown, new normal.

I truly envy people in their mid-fifties or older with great physiques. I'd love to be ABLE to put in the kind of work required for that, but this shell is simply incapable of it. Oh well. We work with what we've got.

This is a bit of a funny note. I had a recent vaccination, and the guy administering it gripped my deltoid and said, "Wayne, you need to relax."
"Yeah, I am. Go for it."
"Re... really?"
"Yep."

So ... that felt good. I don't look like I work out, but I feel like it. Even to others. LOL

I do cardio 3 x week and strength training 2 x.  I would like a bit more, but when I push, my shoulders or knee starts to act up.  I have a moderately physical job, which also helps and will sometimes exercise with my patients.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

I do cardio 3 x week and strength training 2 x.  I would like a bit more, but when I push, my shoulders or knee starts to act up.  I have a moderately physical job, which also helps and will sometimes exercise with my patients.  

Sounds like you're doing what you're able to do. I know that feeling pretty well. It's hard to "surrender" the activities we'd rather be doing in favor of what our bodies can handle, and that adjustment sucks (no other word for it). Picking it up after you've done so is hard, so great job.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

I truly envy people in their mid-fifties or older with great physiques. 

Those over 50 with great physiques are the true unicorns of the world.

So you don't look like you work out but feel like it? You fantastic beast you... kudos!

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, kbois said:

Those over 50 with great physiques are the true unicorns of the world.

So you don't look like you work out but feel like it? You fantastic beast you... kudos!

"I work out! Feel me!"

For some reason, I don't think that'd work out like I envision.

• Love 1
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, kbois said:

Hitting 50 was akin to being given a roulette wheel of potential random injuries... 

Sneezing.. will it be a pulled back muscle or peeing just a little?

Coughing.. was that a rib cracking or did part of my lung dislodge.. oh wait.. it was a busted eye vessel. 

Laughing... yeah, that one is definitely peeing a little 

Waking up... could be a multitude of issues or any combination thereof.

Going up stairs.. hmm.. hip or knee?

Going down stairs.. hmm.. knee or hip?

Running... 🤣😅😆 like that's ever gonna happen again. 

Carrying a 30 pound, dead weight ankle-biter... recipe for disaster!

Lol.

If you think 50 is fun, just wait till your next decade. That's when your body really starts doing things that make no sense. 

Blueberries? Nope. They give me heartburn. But I can eat hot peppers with no problem. 

Pulling your neck when you turn your head to check your mirror before a lane change is really fun. That sharp burning pain that runs up the back of your skull for days after is like nothing you've ever felt before.  Then there's the side eye you get from your doctor when you try and explain how you did it. 

Those itchy, burning, watery eyes you thought were allergies?  Not so much allergies as dry eye disease. Your eyes are pouring water but you have dry eye disease.  🤷

Invest in a good reclining chair. You'll be using it when the pop up out of a dead sleep at 2 a.m. wide awake and can't go back to sleep. 

Whoever coined the term "golden years" needs to be slapped. 🤣

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
19 minutes ago, spyke said:

If you think 50 is fun, just wait till your next decade. That's when your body really starts doing things that make no sense. 

Blueberries? Nope. They give me heartburn. But I can eat hot peppers with no problem. 

Pulling your neck when you turn your head to check your mirror before a lane change is really fun. That sharp burning pain that runs up the back of your skull for days after is like nothing you've ever felt before.  Then there's the side eye you get from your doctor when you try and explain how you did it. 

Those itchy, burning, watery eyes you thought were allergies?  Not so much allergies as dry eye disease. Your eyes are pouring water but you have dry eye disease.  🤷

Invest in a good reclining chair. You'll be using it when the pop up out of a dead sleep at 2 a.m. wide awake and can't go back to sleep. 

Whoever coined the term "golden years" needs to be slapped. 🤣

Every time I talk to my best friend we are gobsmacked by how we got to be the same age as our mothers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It sounds like you're all sitting in a circle with blankets over your knees, reminiscing about the good old days.

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, Wayne Gray said:

For some reason, I don't think that'd work out like I envision.

oh, i don't know.. .i think there's a few people who'd be happy to grope you

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

It sounds like you're all sitting in a circle with blankets over your knees, reminiscing about the good old days.

They were good old days... we could still move without creaking and cracking.

• Love 2
  • Haha 2

My apologies...it seems I didn't tell you yesterday that it was National Garlic Day. Better late than never, and you can still mark your calendars for next year!

So, Happy Tuesday. We're just waiting to see if the weather is gonna get worse. Still have an advisory for wind/rain. It's getting gusty. Anyway...have a good Tuesday wherever you are.

image.png.0404cc77aa2b72e7e86b881c345609c9.png

• Like 1
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Do we get doughnuts with the coffee x

Bit forward aren't you chris... well squeaky wheel and all that :) ... yes you have the choice of a boston cream doughnut or donut (as per your preferred spelling) or a sour cream glazed, your choice.  They are on the table. image.png.71bbdb51791bee942b3b5c1b0e59b457.pngimage.png.98b9c8a74e579322ee63ddf3f855f746.png

• Love 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..