Authors who don't interact with the community

I've noticed that GA has a number of Authors who post Stories to the Stories Archive, and that's the limit of their participation here on Gay Authors. There is no talking in clubs, as they are not members of them, no talking on forums, but they may or may not respond to chapter comments. How can an author do that? How can they not interact with the community, and still have their stories read?

It's mind-boggling.

Edited by BHopper2
  • Like 5

For those authors who are not members of any of the clubs and don't post on the forums, have you looked at the number of people following their story? The numbers are generally very low. That means only a handful of people actually read their story. If a story I wrote didn't get at least a decent following, I would consider shelving it and forgetting about it. Sometimes, though, some people just feel they NEED to get their story out and published somewhere where someone might actually read it. They don't care about how the story reads, grammatical errors, story structure, or anything else. They just want to be able to say they have a story they've written published somewhere and they can show that off. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Cia said:

I like mine to be the leaves/bark/flowers loose-leaf type of tea that I steep myself.

That's how I like mine as well. But, there is some Apricot that someone gave me, in bags, that is to die for.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Okay, this is true and I've just checked through my old comments to make sure I get it right.

Like a lot of members I like to binge read old stories. It's not always easy to comment on a chapter a year after everyone else but I went through a phase last year where I decided that I was going to try, even if it was only one line.

There is a signature author who is well-known on the site and still actively posting stories. One of them is about a bird not singing in a storm. So now you know. Anyway I read a few of his stories and left loads of chapter comments, all of them upbeat, friendly, telling him how I was enjoying the particular story I was reading. He never gave a single reply to any of my comments not even a like. I was baffled to the point where it became quite amusing and politely pointed this out to him after the last chapter of the story I mentioned. This was what I wrote:

Thanks for the story. I enjoyed reading and commenting, even though I'm pretty certain that every single one of my comments has been completely ignored. That must be some kind of record. Maybe it's because I'm a year behind everyone else, but it's still kind of rude!  

I didn't get a reply to this either but he liked the comment directly below so I know it was read. How about that for arrogance? Maybe he had a good reason at the time. Maybe he was ill, having a breakdown, moving house, going through a divorce. I don't know. What I do know is I still get comments on chapters that I posted two years ago and I always reply, even if it's just a quick, 'Thank you for reading'. Even when I've been 'Cia' like busy doing double shifts at work and driving hundreds of miles with other commitments. I've replied to comments in motel rooms, at airports, at friend's houses, at my families houses, in Canada, in the US, in England and even when I was in hospital!

If anyone accused me of being rude or ignoring them, then I would go out of my way to apologize or offer some kind of explanation. I would never simply ignore it. It's not like he's shy because he uses the forums when it suits him. Anyway, that kind of thing tells me a lot about somebody.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
12 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Okay, this is true and I've just checked through my old comments to make sure I get it right.

Like a lot of members I like to binge read old stories. It's not always easy to comment on a chapter a year after everyone else but I went through a phase last year where I decided that I was going to try, even if it was only one line.

There is a signature author who is well-known on the site and still actively posting stories. One of them is about a bird not singing in a storm. So now you know. Anyway I read a few of his stories and left loads of chapter comments, all of them upbeat, friendly, telling him how I was enjoying the particular story I was reading. He never gave a single reply to any of my comments not even a like. I was baffled to the point where it became quite amusing and politely pointed this out to him after the last chapter of the story I mentioned. This was what I wrote:

Thanks for the story. I enjoyed reading and commenting, even though I'm pretty certain that every single one of my comments has been completely ignored. That must be some kind of record. Maybe it's because I'm a year behind everyone else, but it's still kind of rude!  

I didn't get a reply to this either but he liked the comment directly below so I know it was read. How about that for arrogance? Maybe he had a good reason at the time. Maybe he was ill, having a breakdown, moving house, going through a divorce. I don't know. What I do know is I still get comments on chapters that I posted two years ago and I always reply, even if it's just a quick, 'Thank you for reading'. Even when I've been 'Cia' like busy doing double shifts at work and driving hundreds of miles with other commitments. I've replied to comments in motel rooms, at airports, at friend's houses, at my families houses, in Canada, in the US, in England and even when I was in hospital!

If anyone accused me of being rude or ignoring them, then I would go out of my way to apologize or offer some kind of explanation. I would never simply ignore it. It's not like he's shy because he uses the forums when it suits him. Anyway, that kind of thing tells me a lot about somebody.

I do understand life happens.. Your response was a little passive/aggressive... I get it, because I’d probably react the same. No response just shows character in my opinion. Now you know for future. I just think you reap what you sow with something like that.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@Dodger I am not justifying that person's actions. I have four GA members on my ignore list, two of which are authors. They've never commented on any of my stories, but I will say if they did, I would still ignore them.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Myr said:

Damn... this topic has gotten me excessively philosophical today.  silly birthday is making me reflective. lol.

Again. Happy Birthday Myr. I'm wondering if I need to apologize now for starting this thread now. LOL. 😋

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Myr said:

Kind of a long way to say... it has been my experience in life, that you can be a happier person if you don't dwell on what others think of you while you strive to be the best you can be.  We're all flawed... no need to dwell on other people's flaws when we can be working on our own.  Your mileage may vary.

This is so true, and well said.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Myr said:

But what differences does it make?  Don't give the power to make you miserable to other people.  They haven't earned that from you.  I can't really think of any circumstance where anyone could earn that right.

At first, I thought it was funny but I admit, in the end, it did wind me up! It's pathetic I know because it had no effect on my life whatsoever but I couldn't help being annoyed (not miserable).

Anyway, he's the one who lost a reader and a lot of future comments and reviews not me. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2