Good News Thread

• Site Moderator

In a time when the country and its citizens seem to be at odds with each other, it is always heartwarming to come across a story which makes you never want to stop believing in humankind. 

I do not live in Brooklyn NY, but I’m there often enough that I feel like part of the landscape. There is a supermarket a few shops away from a favourite lunch/brunch spot. Outside, used to sit two homeless men ringing their cups for spare change. 

When my niece was in utero, one said to her mom as she gave him a dollar, “I hope you’re reading to the little one. It’s never to early to start.” She is weeks from 3 now, with a 6month old baby sister. 

He was right of course, and I was amused until I found out that he encouraged everyone to read a book. 

The kids didn’t know much about him, but here is the little I was told. He had been a fixture in front of the supermarket, for as long as they could remember. The Church across the street sheltered him and his friend. You didn’t have to give him money. A meal, a bottle of juice, fruit, water, clothing; anything was accepted and he always thanked you politely and profusely, and always, always reminded you to read a book. 

He was taken care of and had gained the affection of many. 

As often as I visited Brooklyn, I became accustomed to his presence like a true local.  

Yesterday, he wasn’t there, but his friend was. I jokingly asked for him, and was told he had passed on. I didn’t expect to feel so sad at the news, but then, a bright spot. The community had erected this plaque in his honour. 

47698ACA-7B93-4D12-95E2-D20B740782F8.jpeg.bff5fca921432ab2f12cfcf9da320415.jpeg

Found out that many in the community chipped in to give him a good send off. They felt like they had lost a friend, because they knew him. I imagine they knew his story. I only know that his friend is Wendell, and that they had been best friends. 

It is enough to know they had people who looked out for them. Who cared enough to leave a reminder of him, for all of us, to perhaps smile in his memory. And on a cold and blustery New York day, that warmed me up like nothing else. 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

@Defiance19 What a truly wonderful “story” you have shared for us to read. You carry the torch well, my friend. :heart: this. 

Thanks Reader...xo

I didn’t realise you couldn’t see his name on the plaque. 

Derrick McGlashen

Friend of the neighborhood..

Edited by Defiance19
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • Site Moderator

The story of three year old Casey Hathaway is a real good news story. He endured freezing temperatures, rain, and says he hung out with a bear. He is a "tough little fella."

https://www.wral.com/he-s-a-tough-little-fella-says-relative-who-was-caring-for-casey-hathaway-when-he-disappeared/18150186/

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Site Moderator
22 minutes ago, CarlHoliday said:

An interesting article about a gay man in Cairo and all that he goes thru to get out alive.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/01/egyptian-refugee

Ive only read a bit of the article so far, but am I am hooked. I lookrward to finishing it tonight. Thanks for posting it, Carl. :) 

• 1 month later...
  • Site Moderator

Cole Favro, an 18 year old born with cystic fibrosis, went old school viral with a note in the window of his room at Golisano Children's Hospital. Send Pizza.

https://bobbybones.iheart.com/featured/bobby-bones/content/2019-04-26-tmsg-teen-receives-pizzas-in-hospital-after-writing-send-pizza-on-window/

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When one of our autistic students aged out of the system that was paying for his riding, instead of saying he could not ride because of money issues we threw him a "graduation". We used the deaf peoples clap(sorry if that term is politically incorrect but I have no idea what they call it now.) Hold both hands in the air and turn them back and forth quickly, like a fast "royal wave".

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Site Moderator
23 minutes ago, Kitt said:

When one of our autistic students aged out of the system that was paying for his riding, instead of saying he could not ride because of money issues we threw him a "graduation". We used the deaf peoples clap(sorry if that term is politically incorrect but I have no idea what they call it now.) Hold both hands in the air and turn them back and forth quickly, like a fast "royal wave".

There was a woman on stage who was doing that wave, though I didn’t know that’s what she was doing. Kitt, thanks to you, now I know. :D 

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Site Moderator

Just heard about this on the radio, so went searching for an article that explains it all. It’s pretty awesome, imo. :D 

There are videos online, too. 

https://www.boredpanda.com/border-collies-summer-olivia-das-seeds-francisca-torres-forest-fire-chile/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

• Love 1
  • Site Moderator
On 10/17/2019 at 10:41 AM, Reader1810 said:

Just heard about this on the radio, so went searching for an article that explains it all. It’s pretty awesome, imo. :D 

There are videos online, too. 

https://www.boredpanda.com/border-collies-summer-olivia-das-seeds-francisca-torres-forest-fire-chile/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

An innovative solution to a huge problem. Good to run off some of the boundless energy border collies are imbued with too.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
21 hours ago, wildone said:

You know, sometimes something happens and it makes you say WOW. This appeared last night on a national broadcast of a hockey game between periods. What immediately caught my attention is that my best friends oldest son played with the youngest boy, Oasiz, last year. Watching him play, although smaller than most others, you knew the skill and drive was something special.

All four are drafted and playing in the WHL, a Junior A league of semi pro athletes that is one of the main feeder leagues to the NHL.

Yes, it is hockey, but a real feel good story :D

That's a really sweet story! ❤️ 

Spoiler

What's up with those names, though? :P 

• Like 2

Maybe not spectacular or wrenching the heartstrings completely, but I found Mathilda, a young trans woman, to be brave role model. Even today, even in Sweden, it isn't an easy decision to be open and out. It's in Swedish, but your devices can perhaps help you translate. 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/50QlMX/mathilda-25-foddes-i-fel-kropp--nu-bryter-hon-tystnaden

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator
5 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Maybe not spectacular or wrenching the heartstrings completely, but I found Mathilda, a young trans woman, to be brave role model. Even today, even in Sweden, it isn't an easy decision to be open and out. It's in Swedish, but your devices can perhaps help you translate. 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/50QlMX/mathilda-25-foddes-i-fel-kropp--nu-bryter-hon-tystnaden

It did, thank you. :)