What Was Your Favorite Album At 21?

This is an odd topic, I guess, but a few weeks ago, I was listening to a couple of my students talk about songs and albums and how what they liked "long ago," i.e., when they were in high school, lol, is so different from what they like now that they'd "become men."

And it got me thinking: What album(s) did I like the year I became a legal-in-this-country man? (21 I mean, of course).

The answer came immediately to me: There was a clear standout.

Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia, by The Dandy Warhols.

It's acutely intelligent, both musically and textually. And it's kinda trippy and amorphous, sonically. It got great reviews, not that that means anything. And I can still listen to it with enjoyment today. My favorite track from the album is the hazy, hypnotic "Sleep."

So. My question to you, should you choose to answer, is "What album grabbed you the most the year you became a legal adult?" Or, if you're not 21 yet, "What album do you like the most right now?"

• Site Administrator

It's hard to remember back that far, sad to say, but I liked Nirvana's Nevermind and Guns and Roses album with November Rain

I think I owned about half of the monthly top ten album list for that entire year, but the album getting the most play time during the month I turned 21 (Legal was 18 back then) was Endless Love by Dianna Ross & Lionel Richie. It was #2 on the charts for that month.

I've never really been an album guy, but these were my favorite tunes the year I was 20/21 (2006-2007):

"Where'd You Go?" by Fort Minor

"When You Were Young" by The Killers

"Phantom Limb" by The Shins

"Open Your Eyes" by Snow Patrol

"Stolen" by Dashboard Confessional

"It Ends Tonight" by All American Rejects

"Objects of My Affection" by Peter, Bjorn, and John

And by the same guys...

"Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn, and John

Yep, those are my favorite tunes from circa 2006-2007.

• Like 1

Apart from some Swedish bands you all never heard of (Bo Kaspers and Kent) I listened A LOT to Achtung baby by U2. I'm not a huge fan of their other work prior or since, but this album just grabbed me and hasn't let go. I'm immediately transported back to my 18 year old self. I still know the songs by heart.

Mine would be Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.

40 years later, it's still one of my favorites.

I have fond memories circa 1993 of listening to "I'm in the high fidelity, first class traveling set and I think I need a Leer Jet"  whilst riding in a Gulf Stream somewhere over the middle of the Atlantic   :P

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I can't remember exactly for when I turned 18 (the legal age here) or 21, but it was probably Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf. That was my favourite record from about the age of 16 onwards for several years. I used to play it with the headphones on, sitting on the floor of my parents house in the corner of the living room where the sound equipment was located. There wasn't a single song on that album that I didn't enjoy.

• Like 2

When I turned twenty-one I was just about to finish my term of service as a Mormon missionary. I don't know what you know about Mormons, but on your mission you aren't allowed to listen to any music not sponsored by the church. If I had to answer this question based off of the day that I turned 21, then I would have to answer with an album produced by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir titled "Love is Spoken Here".

Just a few months later I was home from that mission and almost immediately I went out and bought a Rise Against Album titled "Appeal to Reason". I'd have to say that I would choose that over the Mormon Tabernacle Choir any day.

This is one of my favorite songs of all time. :)

*Whistles* Don't mind me shoving my poor taste in music into your faces.. :P

Kelly Clarkson - My December

Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Who We Are - Lifehouse

Carnival Ride - Carrie Underwood

:)

Pink Floyd's The Wall has to be the one. Honorable mention goes to Led Zeppelin's In Through the Out Door, and The Game from Queen.

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

I was 21 in 2013 so I remember listening to:

Racine carrée by Stromae

Settle by Disclosure 

If you wait by London Grammar

and a lot of Bad Blood by Bastille

Maybe I stretch the definition of "album" a bit, but when I turned 21 (back in the 70's) I just started collecting the cantata's of J.S. Bach in the interpretation of Nicolaus Harnoncourt with his Concentus Musicus Wien.

He was the first of the musicians that tried to execute that music authenticly, meaning that authentic instruments were used and the singers were all male (boys for the soprano-parts and counter-tenor for the alto-parts).

Every few months a cassette with 2 LP's (vinyl of course) would come out and being a poor university-student I tried to save every cent I could to be able to afford the next one.

I got all 200+ of the cantata's in the end and still enjoy them this day.

Popular music was not and still is not my thing, although my partner "educated" me just a bit in that field.

Like Jeremy, i never did albums either but i did do songs! 

For a legal adult here (18, so in 2012) it probably would have been a mix of things! that was the year i went to college so it was a mix of my real tastes, some indie kid music, and normal club music ;) but stuff like Hurts, Red, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and Imagine Dragons ;) then 'those' songs like Call Me Maybe, We Are Young, Die Young, Somebody That I Used to Know, Gangnam Style and Drive By... and then random things like 'before he cheats' and radiohead! oh and Birdy - Skinny Love

As for 21, well ;) at the moment, im listening to Bastille, Imagine Dragons, Lana Del Rey, Fall Out Boy, Sam Smith, Red Jumpsuit, OneRepublic, Hurts, Raleigh Ritchie, Arctic Monkeys, Florence and the Machine, etc..

my music tastes are all over the place :P

Maybe I stretch the definition of "album" a bit, but when I turned 21 (back in the 70's) I just started collecting the cantata's of J.S. Bach in the interpretation of Nicolaus Harnoncourt with his Concentus Musicus Wien.

He was the first of the musicians that tried to execute that music authenticly, meaning that authentic instruments were used and the singers were all male (boys for the soprano-parts and counter-tenor for the alto-parts).

Every few months a cassette with 2 LP's (vinyl of course) would come out and being a poor university-student I tried to save every cent I could to be able to afford the next one.

I got all 200+ of the cantata's in the end and still enjoy them this day.

Popular music was not and still is not my thing, although my partner "educated" me just a bit in that field.

I've listened to--and played--so-called "classical" music since I was in elementary school. So I appreciate your post a lot. As you can see by the other entries, including mine, it's kind of hard to find a group of people at the popular level who listen to that genre of music.

But I'm right there with you re: Nicolaus Harnoncourt. I'm generally happy with most of what John Eliot Gardiner did, especially the Bach Christmas Oratorio (how could anybody not break into a smile at the opening chorus?) and his recording of Messiah. Baroque is my favorite period, though right now I'm really enjoying the Mozart Horn concerti as played by Lowell Greer on the cor naturel (how can he DO that without valves? Amazing!!!)

I'll talk that kinda music with anybody anytime. So I'm glad at least somebody in thiis post got in a good word for the long-revered Dead White Europeans. :P

• Like 1

Oh so many...

Led Zeppelin 1 and 2

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida... Iron Butterfly

Fleetwood Mac... Rumours and Tusk

Bob Seger... Night Moves

Linda Ronstadt... Simple Dreams

America...A Horse With No Name

Supertramp... Breakfast in America... Crisis what Crisis

Alice Cooper... Billion Dollar Babies

The list is endless for me...Doors, Yes, Boz Scaggs, Eagles, Bob Dylan, And for sure... everything Janis Joplin ever did!!!

Though I am only 2 years older than you, but I don't think I was listening to Dandy Warhols at that age.  That would be year 2001 for me when I turned 21.  If there was some album I was listening to, it's probably some classical music.  I wasn't very interested in popular music at that age or music in general.  I think someone might have introduced Death Cab for Cutie's Transatlanticism to me, but that might have been 2002 or 2003.  2001 was kind of like a blurb to me. 

I was 21 in 1995 and I worked at an indoor playground called FunDazzle (like Chuck E Cheese) doing kid's birthday parties. The music that played there all day was pretty entertaining. For example I remember hearing 'Eep, Opp, Ork, Ah-ah!' from the Jetsons and Tim Curry's 'Toxic Love' from 'Fern Gully'.  

Besides that I remember listening to a lot of No Doubt's 'Tragic Kingdom' album and Oasis' '(What's the Story) Morning Glory?' album.

Cure ~ Wish

Title Track:

This was kind of my anthem then as I figured I'd never be able to come Out and find happiness.

Not a very happy time in my life.

Edited by MrM