Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,027 Words
  • 959 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Egaran Stars - 17. Reinard- Nepáta

The smell of mint filled the kitchen, Reinard standing on a stool and stirring a mug. A solitary leaf steeped in the boiling liquid, the fox staring at it in interest.

"It doesn't smell that strong… are you sure they gave me the right stuff?" he asked, looking at Themis.

The tiger was busy setting up a pasta, humming quietly, a strange bouncy tune.

"Oh yeah. Nepáta is a controlled substance. Noreen used an entire plant bred for smell in the office. The stuff you have was designed for the taste. They're entirely different effects. Smelling nepáta is for energy, excitement. Eating nepáta is for relaxing, feeling happy and peaceful. That's why they gave you the inhaler too. If you stick it in your nose, you get the smell. It's for emergencies, or when eating will disrupt what you are doing."

The fox nodded, starting to understand.

"So… I drink a cup of tea every morning and night… and use the inhaler when I'm about to feed myself to the Cnidarian."

"Not that you have to worry about that. I'm having a chelöna delivered tonight. He should take care of the Cnidarian with no problem."

"A what?"

"Chelöna. They eat Cnidarians. One of their few predators. And totally safe to swim with. The water around here should be perfect for one."

The tigress pulled a pan out of the oven, setting it to cool.

"Here, frost this," she said, setting a jar next to the tray.

"I don't trust strange jars…" Reinard grunted, staring at it.

"It's jelly," Themis said, rolling her eyes. "It will enhance the sweetness of the nepáta in the brownie."

She put a small spoon into the jar, pushing it toward the fox. Frowning as he stepped off his stool, Reinard took a tentative lick at the spoon, making a face.

"It's salty…"

"And will mix perfectly with the sweet," Themis insisted.

The Faro shook his head.

"I think I'll pass," he said, climbing back up to check his tea.

Pulling out a fork, the fox stirred slowly, pressing the leaf against the side of the cup. He scooped the leaf out, flicking it into the recycler, before sipping at the drink.

He swallowed with a grimace, gulping at the rest of the drink with little regard for the heat.

"Reinard, slow down… is that hot?" Themis scowled, pushing the cup gently onto the stove.

He could feel it now, the blistering pain on his tongue, the fox whimpering quietly as he stuck his tongue out.

"You vlákas…" Themis sighed, reaching for a cup. "If the water is hot, don't drink it. Are you a cub?"

She thrust the cool water at the Faro as a voice laughed.

"I'm starting to think he is," Galen said, stepping into the kitchen.

"Oh, hey, sorry I missed your first video," Themis said. "We can watch the repeat tomorrow if you want."

"Don't worry about it. I… skipped," Galen shrugged, his ears folding over.

"Culent 'o int?" Reinard smirked.

"At least I didn't stick my tongue in boiling water," Galen shot back.

"Oh stars…" Themis sighed. "Look, Ryan asked me out to dinner. If I leave you two alone, will I have employees tomorrow?"

"Oh yeah. He and I have an agreement. We don't touch each other," Galen said, as Reinard pulled a surprisingly long tongue out of the water.

"You toufed me vis morning…" the Faro denied.

"That doesn't count. I was saving your life," Galen corrected.

"Oh, that reminds me, Galen, you'll have to sign for the chelöna. It's paid for, and will stay here long enough to either scare that Cnidarian away or eat it," Themis said.

Reinard rolled his head with a quiet sigh, feeling… rather light and airy.

"Nepáta? I didn't realize we could have that…" Galen said suddenly.

"No, it's for Reinard. Make sure he drinks his tea every morning," Themis said, heading out of the room. "I'll have someone clean the basement out tomorrow. I'm sorry I forgot about it today…"

"It's fine…" Galen trailed after her, leaving Reinard to his predicament.

The fox slid off the stool, collapsing with a giggle as he hit the floor. He almost crawled to the table, climbing back up to stare at the brownies. The Faro was rather hungry… maybe he could…

"No you don't," Galen frowned, sliding the tray away. "You need actual food, before dessert."

"You're not my Segal…" Reinard slurred.

"Come on, Themis made a nice vegetable pasta. You should eat it for her at least," Galen sighed quietly.

He set a bowl of pasta on the table, sliding it in front of the fox. Reinard grunted, picking up a fork. He was hungry… and it was Themis' pasta…

The Faro began eating voraciously, filling his small stomach. Even so, there was still nearly half a bowl of pasta left as he finished, only able to eat a little before he was stuffed.

"I'll finish the rest," Galen said, pulling the bowl toward him.

The tiger ate quickly, as Reinard cut a piece of brownie. He stared at it almost uncertainly, not sure he'd be able to eat it.

"Just save it for later," Galen said, patting his own stomach lightly. "Ugh, I just know I'm going to regret this tomorrow…"

Muttering quietly, Reinard glared at the tiger, before setting the brownie down and getting a cover for the tray.

"Tomorrow," he grunted, his tongue feeling a little better.

Sliding off his chair, the Faro reached for the tray, standing on his toes.

"I got it," Galen sighed, picking up the tray.

He slid it into the bottom of the fridge, low enough Reinard could reach it at any time.

"We should try to do some down scaling when we get a chance," Galen said with a sigh.

"I thought you weren't staying longer than a week," Reinard breathed, feeling rather sluggish. "I… I think I'm going to head to bed…"

Sliding off the stool again, the fox stumbled out of the room, slowly prodding to the bedroom. Climbing heavily up the side of the bed, Reinard flopped flat across the bed, snores escaping him minutes later.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Haha 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The nepata seems to be evening Reinard out.

Galen appears to be unconsciously going into a caregiver mode and more than willing to modify the living space to help Reinard.

It's difficult to imagine a creature fierce enough to eat the monster lurking around their place and yet safe to swim with.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drpaladin said:

The nepata seems to be evening Reinard out.

Galen appears to be unconsciously going into a caregiver mode and more than willing to modify the living space to help Reinard.

It's difficult to imagine a creature fierce enough to eat the monster lurking around their place and yet safe to swim with.

The key here is fierceness. There's nothing saying a predator has the be fierce 😜

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Yeoldebard said:

The key here is fierceness. There's nothing saying a predator has the be fierce 😜

I suppose it comes down to perspective. To a mouse or a felinophobe, your cuddly housecat is a monster.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I swear, if the chelona is a cute, pink fish, I'll giggle so hard! Never judge a book by its cover. 

Here's a non spoiler hint. Egarans are heavily influenced by ancient Greece, and the names of their animals are very Grecian in nature.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..