Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 507 Words
  • 967 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Egaran Stars - 73. Faro Lost

Galen stared at the tablet blankly, his mind trying to catch up to what he had just read.

“‘Gone’? What the fuck do you mean, ‘gone’?” he demanded. “I was there, I made sure he got on the shuttle.”

“Cassandra said she lost him on the liner, not long after their jump,” Noreen said slowly. “You might not know the distances involved in travelling, but Uisge is over five hundred light years away. Even if she wrote these letters not long after boarding, they would have taken two months to get back here-”

“I don’t care about Cassandra, or the time. I just want to know where he is!”

The tiger dropped the tablet on the couch, pacing as growls rumbled through his throat. Gone… who the fuck loses a passenger on a spaceship?

“Galen, you have to look at the facts. They would have torn the ship apart looking for him. If they couldn’t find him… well, companies like this would never say it out loud, but there are a surprising number of people who go on journeys like this, who… don’t intend to reach the end,” Noreen said carefully.

The Egaro stopped cold, the feeling draining from his body as he started to understand the Xanar’s implications.

“No. No, he has me. He has his kits. He has everything to live for. You can’t tell me he would do that! He was going to come back; he promised me he would come back!”

Noreen was silent, letting the tiger reach the conclusion for himself. Dropping back onto the couch, Galen found himself curling up into a ball, every inch of his soul wracked with the knowledge that Reinard had tried multiple times, that this was exactly the kind of thing he would do.

“But there was no body… nothing…” he whimpered, knowing it didn’t matter, that Reinard would have found a way to go out without hurting anyone.

Anyone except for the tiger who had given his heart to him.

“So he went overboard,” the Xanar said. “It happens, Galen. You just never hear about it. And you probably never will. It’s been two months, with no sign of him. He got on the ship, he never got off. Reinard is gone, Galen.”

“How… how can you just sit there calmly and tell me this?!” Galen snarled. “Did he mean so little to you-”

“Galen, please,” Noreen said loudly, startling the tiger. “I’m… I’m not made of stone. I cared for him too, and this hurts. But I can’t calm you if I’m also trying to calm myself. I need distance right now, and I can mourn him after I help you.”

“I don’t need your help, HE needed your help. And you let him go, you let him…”

The tiger let out a loud sob, choking on his words. His body shook as tears flooded from his eyes, and Galen broke down, fear and anger and sorrow all rushing through him as he realized his Faro was dead, lost to him forever.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Such a sad chapter. Finally Galen finds out about Reinard and we see  him break down in tears, suffering many emotions.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment

A very sad chapter. I would be very angry and Bard, except I know he loves twisted plots and extended cliffhangers.  I suspect that Cassandra's message was to protect Reinard from further attempts on his live aboard the ship. (fingers crossed)

  • Sad 2
Link to comment

This chapter is more tragic than I could imagine. Galen and Noreen are under the report's assumption that Reinard committed suicide. I'm getting vibes that the Faro's body will never be found, which won't reveal any of the murder's details. The assassin's mode of killing was perfect, unless there was a witness or camera footage (I'd imagine there would be. As I'm typing this, I'm leaning towards raven1's thought process. It's a spaceship, and there is no security camera on the airlock?! I'm clinging on the shred of hope Reinard's death scene was a nightmare of sorts...).

Needless to say, fantastic work!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

It's a spaceship, and there is no security camera on the airlock?!

That, or someone erased any evidence the camera had.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
Just now, Yeoldebard said:

That, or someone erased any evidence the camera had.

I've been typing, then deleting, then typing, then deleting. The only thought I got is if someone erased the evidence, then it would be apparent to some security-watch scrub. I'm going to be thinking about this chapter, and the past few ones as well, inside a rabbit hole of convoluted conspiracies and potential possibilities.

I'm hesitant to pull out the I'm Callin' It cap. The variables are too fuzzy, and I want to be surprised. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

This could go one of three ways i think...

1. Reinard is presumed dead, but leaving galen thinking he purposely floated himself.

2. Reinard is confirmed to be dead, through the uncovering of some kind of evidence that is to be determined. The next book will be galen searching the stars until he exacts revenge on the faro that took his beloved from him.

3. Somehow, someway, by radical divine intervention, reinard lives and returns to galen years later after he's finally recovered from his near death experience and his kits, if they survive to be born, are able to travel for two whole months via spaceship. The series leaves us with reinard getting off the godawful craft toting his brood along, thinking thoughts of a happy much needed reunion with his bonded, and how surprised Galen's face will look when he answers his door.

Unfortunately i think #3 may be the least plausible, but hey that's the one I'm rooting for. 

  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..