Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 2,053 Words
  • 1,853 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental. Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy’s Terrible Prompt Stories - 35. Prompt 299 I’m going to give him a piece of my mind!

There may be more to Rob than meets the eye.

A Nelson POV chapter

“I’m going to give him a piece of my mind! And if that doesn’t work, he can have my fist, again.”

All of us stared at Rob, trying to work out whether he was joking or not. Mr. Perry clapped his hand over his eyes and shook his head sadly. Eric’s mom had been the one to ask Rob what he was going to do if Chris or Ryan did anything to Eric and me.

Before Mrs. Perry could jump all over him, my mom spoke.

“So Rob, have you thought about whether your two teammates meant to insult Eric specifically, or are simply general bigots?” Hmm, Rob’s parents had obviously been telling mine about the fight, and I cringed a bit as I wondered if the Perrys had been told of my old ‘encounter’ too.

“Huh?” Rob stared at her, while his mom cleared her throat. He rephrased, “I mean, sorry, I don’t understand.”

Mom smiled at him.

“Before Nelson came out at school, we talked about how he should deal with bigotry. My advice to him was to think about whether anyone harassing him thought they had a problem with gay people in general and simply used him as a representative to vent their stupidity. Or whether that person disliked him personally and just used homophobic slurs to try and get to him. Do you see the difference?” Her question was directed to all of us, but Rob answered.

“I think so. If they’re attacking Eric directly, I take it personally, no matter what they say about him. It doesn’t matter whether they call him egghead or queer, I’m gonna whip their butts. But if they spout general BS about gay people, then I’ll let Jazz teach them a lesson. He was awesome at the Mall.”

Rob’s mom exclaimed a bit over the first part of Rob’s statement, but her curiosity about the Mall incidence got the better of her. Soon Rob was telling the story, making all the rents laugh and applaud Jasper, but also shake their heads over Melanie, her cousin and Chris.

“So I guess Chris belongs to the general haters?” Rob asked my mom at the end of his story.

“Yes and Jasper’s tactics are good against people who attack you from a religious standpoint, or think it’s a ‘choice.’ Other answers can be used for idiots who confuse gay men with pedophiles, or think being gay is ‘unnatural.’ The last one is usually easy, since you only have to point out there are gay animals in nature. In every case, the important point to make is that being ignorant is terrible but they can do something about it; like the way Jasper told them.” Mom waved her hand at my best friend, who blushed a bit, but enjoyed the attention. We all laughed once more as Rob rephrased Jasper’s punch-line.

“‘The cures for being ignorant and indoctrinated are called science and education. Get help before it’s too late and you have to spend your life in shameful stupidity.’ I’m gonna remember that one forever, Jazz.” They high-fived each other.

Rob turned to his mom. “And stop frowning at me, Mom. I’m not stupid enough to hit anyone in school, unless it’s in self-defense. I never have and I never will.” I could see on his face that he was telling the truth.

But Eric had noticed the same thing as me. “Have people been saying stuff about me before? Why didn’t you tell me?”

Rob shrugged. “Nothing important, bro. Just silly high school gossip and envious idiots. And it wasn’t you especially. All freshmen students get joked about.”

“If it was nothing special, why would you have to defend me? And how would anyone know I’m brainy?”

I decided to back him up. “Good question, because you look hot rather than nerdy. On the other hand, I think most of the drama club members get the nerd name flung at them. I know I did, but it’s true, so I don’t care.” All the rents laughed politely in that ‘isn’t-he-cute-when-bravely-honest’ manner which I disliked, but had gotten used to from age six.

Eric squeezed my hand under the table. “Nelson and I are proud to be both clever and out. You simply should have ignored the idiots.”

Rob rolled his eyes at us. “Don’t you understand? It wasn’t about you, Eric, it was about me. They wanted to see whether I gave a damn about you, or whether you were a sore spot to be exploited, or someone I’d listen to.”

He scowled at his audience. “Don’t look at me as if I have two heads. I may not be as intelligent as you, bro, but I know all about how to gain and maintain social status in the small shark pond of high school. I bet it’s excellent training for college, the corporate world, and similar places.”

My father nodded and gave Rob a conspiratorial thumbs-up.

“So when you started last year, I had two choices. I could pretend I didn’t care about you at all and hope you’d be left alone, and that the friendship with Maria and Tony would be enough protection. Or I could take a stand right from the start and make it clear that anyone messing with you would regret it.”

Eric shook his head. “How about taking the middle road? Doesn’t a strong reaction prove exactly how much you value me?”

“Yes.”

“But you wanted to avoid exposing me as your ‘sore spot’ or as influential, didn’t you?”

“No. I’m fine with everyone knowing you’re important to me, and I don’t see it as a weakness. I know how stubborn and clever you are, bro; no one can make you do anything you don’t want to, including getting to me through you.”

Once more I wondered how Rob’s girlfriend could have been dumb enough to reveal her thoughts about Eric to him. Surely she must have known how much he cared about his brother? But I was more interested in the description of Eric as stubborn; maybe I’d gotten a glimpse of where his persistence came from. I had the feeling he could be quite single-minded in his pursuit of what he wanted. Lucky me…

“Anyway, no one gets away with dishing my brother, after the first week all the guys knew it. The girls thought my protective-older-brother act was cute.” He rolled his eyes. Hmm, probably anything Rob did got admired, and maybe they hadn’t realized how serious he was.

“Yes, Rob, we know you will protect Eric at any cost, but you need to find a balance and control yourself. However, this isn’t what we wanted to talk to you about.” Mr. Perry paused, but none of us said anything. “You told us you and Eric plan to join the GSA at West Hill tomorrow.”

Rob and Eric nodded and exchanged glances. Mr. Perry smiled at them. “Your mom and I think it’s a good idea, and Nelson’s parents have reinforced this opinion. However, I want you to think about why you’re doing this, Rob.”

The blond jock frowned. “I’m doing it for Eric, of course.”

His dad shook his head. “You can be a supportive brother in many ways, Rob. But if you join the GSA, it should be to support gay people in general, as well as other groups facing prejudice or bullying. You can’t just stand up for Eric or Nelson. You will have to stand up for everyone, perhaps even people you don’t like.”

“Not if they’re obnoxious towards Eric! And Paddy Evers had better keep his distance!”

Rob’s scowl was epic, but I didn’t blame him. Paddy was the resident high school sleaze, a high-profile GSA member, and self-proclaimed equal opportunity exploiter. The latter simply meant he chased males and females in equal measure, giving everyone the chance to get fucked over by him. In my opinion, he didn’t care who he played around with, as long as he got off. He was good-looking, charming, had rich parents who provided him with all kinds of material goods, probably to make up for a lack of caring. Yeah, yeah, I know, I’m stereotyping, but it was easier to deal with him if you kept telling yourself he was damaged goods.

Mr. Perry held up his hand. “I’m not saying you have to be buddies with everyone in the GSA. I’m sure they, like any group, have their share of people you won’t get along with, but you can’t tease them or single them out by picking on their orientation or gender, and you should object if anyone else uses those tactics.”

He leaned forward and held Rob’s eyes. “So here’s the deal, Rob. I’d like your word that you’ll also join the GSA at college and stay a member for all four years. We want you to take active part in their work, engage yourself in the cause. You have great social skills and they should be used for something worthwhile, not just building your own status. If you’ll commit to that, I’m fine with you joining your high school GSA tomorrow.”

I think Eric was as stunned as I was. We exchanged looks, and he squeezed my hand. “Do I have to promise the same, Dad?” My boyfriend didn’t seem happy with the idea.

“No Eric, you can join or not as you like, but your mom and I would be pleased if you did in high school. Particularly since you have another three years there, two of which will be after Nelson leaves. The GSA can provide you with friends and support, because let’s not kid ourselves: being out isn’t always easy.” He sighed and ran his hand down over his face. “I have patients who’ve had a tough life due to gender and repression issues, and… Well, it’s heartbreaking at times.”

Eric turned his head to whisper in my ear: “Dad’s a psychologist; he takes private patients as well as teaching courses and doing counseling.” I looked at my hopefully future father-in-law with new respect.

Rob cleared his throat and we all turned to him. “Eric, what would you like me to do? Join the GSA or not?”

“Why are you asking me? You don’t have to join for my sake. And you’ll be busy in college.”

“Come on, bro, think it through. Knowing you, your GPA will gain you admittance to almost any college you want. I’d love for you to join me, but I suppose that depends on where Nelson is headed.” He nodded at me, and I gave him a warm smile for his assumption of Eric and me being together three years from now.

“In fact, I should ask your opinion too, Nelson, as I hope you both end up at the same school as me. Would you mind if I joined the GSA?”

I shrugged, confused why he asked. ”It’s up to you, Rob, why should I mind?”

Rob rolled his eyes and took a deep breath before spelling it out for us. “Will you be OK with me having established myself in the one social setting in college where the two of you have a natural advantage over me? I thought you and Eric wanted me to stay out of your business.”

Ah, so Rob was aware of Eric’s issue of being in his older brother’s shadow? Interesting, but I decided to be honest about my own view. “I don’t know how Eric feels, but although I’m sure I’ll join the GSA at college, I have no urge to be in the spotlight. You being a prominent member is fine with me, and in any case we might end up at different schools.”

Rob gave me a nod, but his attention was on his brother. “Eric? Please be honest, and you don’t have to explain. I’ll respect your wishes; just say no if you don’t like the idea.”

Mr. Perry broke in, “Think about it, Eric, we don’t need to know right now. Why don’t you boys go upstairs for a bit? We’ll call when Beth and Paul are ready to leave.” He gestured to show he meant all of us, and we lost no time in escaping. That was one unexpected conversation. Why did Rob’s parents want him to do this?

Should Rob join the GSA or not?

Thanks to AC for a fast editing which kept readers off my back. Thanks to Litlover and Drew for encouraging images in the discussion forum. ;) 

Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental. Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

:blink: well onkel Tim....I didn't really expect you to be scared by my :fight:
but any ways I think that this chapter shows how much of a protective older brother can Rob be :yes: ....and how much supportive all the parents are :yes:. you also provided a good insight of GSA :yes: ...
overall a good and slightly serious (in a nice way) chapter ^_^ ....thank you onkel Tim :hug:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/28/2015 07:11 AM, Victor Gutte said:

:blink: well onkel Tim....I didn't really expect you to be scared by my :fight:

but any ways I think that this chapter shows how much of a protective older brother can Rob be :yes: ....and how much supportive all the parents are :yes:. you also provided a good insight of GSA :yes: ...

overall a good and slightly serious (in a nice way) chapter ^_^ ....thank you onkel Tim :hug:

You're welcome, Victor. I felt bad about not posting for so long, and I'm susceptible to the stick-and-carrot method. :lol: LL and Drew provided carrots :P and you had the stick. :o

As to the GSA insight, all praise goes to my beta (AC), since I have no idea about or experience with this admirable US institution.

We'll get some more protective Rob, but hopefully also some fun along the way. And I hope you enjoy the Nelson POV.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Personally, I see no problems with Rob joining the GSA; if he never tries experimenting, he's still open-minded and tolerant, just the type of members the group needs to bolster their image as a group for both gay and straight segments of school life.
In addition, Rob will be more likely to encounter girlfriends who are more like him in outlook than if he wasn't a member...so it benefits him in that way as well.
While Eric worries about being in Rob's shadow, on this issue, he's on the opposite side of the balance--bringing his own strengths to the gay side of the group, while Rob does the same for the straight side. Each brings something the other can't, and that is only for the good. It boggles the mind to consider what the two of them could do for the group if they teamed up.
Go for it, and on to the next chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

That was an interesting conversation. I sort of get Rob's parents' point about standing up for everyone, not just his brother, but I don't know if it's necessary to force him into an all or nothing scenario with the GSA. Maybe by making him join they are hoping to encourage his protective insinct to become more global?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This is a great chapter. I liked that it was Nelson looking at the interaction of those around him, his is a good perspective to have.
I can see the parent's viewpoint. Rob typically being protective of his brother and Nelson often acts only on their behalf. Making him aware that he should come to the cause of anyone being abused/bullied/harassed is important to his growth.
Rob is obviously more aware of Eric's feelings than first thought. Asking if he and Nelson were okay with him becoming part of the GSA was thouhtful.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

:thumbup: I give this prompt response not one, but TWO conspiratorial thumbs-up! :thumbup:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:


But seriously, my interest is piqued now by Eric and Rob's father. The fact that he's asking his teenage son (Rob) to commit to four years of college-life involvement with Gay Rights advocacy is fascinating. I hope and fully suspect we will get more insight into what the man is thinking with this request in the upcoming installments.

 

If I were Eric, I might seriously have to consider Rob's involvement in the H.S. GSA. The reason is, the younger may inadvertently make the older begin to resent him. But maybe I'm wrong; we'll just have to see.

 

Thanks for another thoroughly enjoyable chapter in the Rob and Eric, I mean Nelson and Eric romantic saga. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/28/2015 07:43 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Personally, I see no problems with Rob joining the GSA; if he never tries experimenting, he's still open-minded and tolerant, just the type of members the group needs to bolster their image as a group for both gay and straight segments of school life.

In addition, Rob will be more likely to encounter girlfriends who are more like him in outlook than if he wasn't a member...so it benefits him in that way as well.

While Eric worries about being in Rob's shadow, on this issue, he's on the opposite side of the balance--bringing his own strengths to the gay side of the group, while Rob does the same for the straight side. Each brings something the other can't, and that is only for the good. It boggles the mind to consider what the two of them could do for the group if they teamed up.

Go for it, and on to the next chapter!

Thanks CG, I think you're right. Rob could do the GSA some good, and they would be good for him too, including making him understand some of the challenges Eric and Nelson may face.

I like the idea of Rob and Eric teaming up, and in a way they've always done so as Brothers. Or at least Rob has seen them as a team, but Eric needs to see the same. The next chapter is begun, and I hope for some writing time during the weekend.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/28/2015 07:43 AM, EagleIsaac said:

That was an interesting conversation. I sort of get Rob's parents' point about standing up for everyone, not just his brother, but I don't know if it's necessary to force him into an all or nothing scenario with the GSA. Maybe by making him join they are hoping to encourage his protective insinct to become more global?

Rob's parents have several motives and they should become clear later. But the one you mention is on the list. :)

Glad you liked the chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/28/2015 08:00 AM, dughlas said:

This is a great chapter. I liked that it was Nelson looking at the interaction of those around him, his is a good perspective to have.

I can see the parent's viewpoint. Rob typically being protective of his brother and Nelson often acts only on their behalf. Making him aware that he should come to the cause of anyone being abused/bullied/harassed is important to his growth.

Rob is obviously more aware of Eric's feelings than first thought. Asking if he and Nelson were okay with him becoming part of the GSA was thouhtful.

Thanks dugh, I'm partial to Nelson's POV too, and the next chapter will be the same.

You hit on an important motive. Rob has become the star of this story, and I think I'll have to do a Rob in college spin-off at some point or be nagged to death by hungry birds - not to mention what JAR might send my way. :o

So having Rob grow as a person and giving him a more complex personality is important, and this slightly serious chapter was me trying to achieve this, but without losing the fun and lightness of the prompt story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/28/2015 08:46 AM, AC Benus said:

:thumbup: I give this prompt response not one, but TWO conspiratorial thumbs-up! :thumbup:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

But seriously, my interest is piqued now by Eric and Rob's father. The fact that he's asking his teenage son (Rob) to commit to four years of college-life involvement with Gay Rights advocacy is fascinating. I hope and fully suspect we will get more insight into what the man is thinking with this request in the upcoming installments.

 

If I were Eric, I might seriously have to consider Rob's involvement in the H.S. GSA. The reason is, the younger may inadvertently make the older begin to resent him. But maybe I'm wrong; we'll just have to see.

 

Thanks for another thoroughly enjoyable chapter in the Rob and Eric, I mean Nelson and Eric romantic saga. ;)

LOL, yeah this has become more about Rob than Nelson and Eric. But luckily Rob will graduate and leave for college soon - although with the pace of this story, I'll have written 100 chapters before we get this far. :facepalm:

I don't think Rob could ever resent Eric, it's not in his nature. But being protective is, and his parents approve but would like him to widen his scope. Other motives are there too, and yes, we'll get to know about them. ;)

You may come to regret it if Rob joins the GSA, since you'll have to carry me through on a subject I know nothing about. (As you've already found out :no: )

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The biggest thing for me in this chapter is that you gave Rob more depth as a character. You have cast him in a more complex light. He is not just a reactive, caring brother. He is aware of situations and consequences, and it much more thoughtful of his actions than I first thought. Originally I thought he was impulsive and out of control. Now I see that he is really more deliberate than that. And the whys of that are explained in the words and questions of his and Eric's parents. Their influence is evident. Seeing this from Nelson's POV made it work quite well. Good job on a more cerebral chapter than usual, Tim... Cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Mmmmh. Not sure I like thoughtful Rob.
But: Rob and Eric's father does remind me of someone ... care to explain, Tim? ;-)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/29/2015 07:27 AM, JohnAR said:

Mmmmh. Not sure I like thoughtful Rob.

But: Rob and Eric's father does remind me of someone ... care to explain, Tim? ;-)

Rob's been thoughtful = considerate during the whole story, so what's the difference? And anyway why do you think Rob is aware of Eric's issues? If he actually is, because this was Nelson's interpretation. But you sort of give the answer in your next comment. ;)

:huh: I have no idea who Mr. Perry reminds you of, please tell me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/29/2015 04:38 AM, Headstall said:

The biggest thing for me in this chapter is that you gave Rob more depth as a character. You have cast him in a more complex light. He is not just a reactive, caring brother. He is aware of situations and consequences, and it much more thoughtful of his actions than I first thought. Originally I thought he was impulsive and out of control. Now I see that he is really more deliberate than that. And the whys of that are explained in the words and questions of his and Eric's parents. Their influence is evident. Seeing this from Nelson's POV made it work quite well. Good job on a more cerebral chapter than usual, Tim... Cheers... Gary...

You're right, Gary. Rob is more than just an impulsive jock with a heart of gold. He has a lot of 'social' intelligence, meaning he reads people well and knows how to act to have things going his way. His father has helped him see why and how, but he had the instincts already.

However, I think you'll find that so far his real insights are confined to his brother (even though he'd begun to tire of his girlfriend). But this it what Mr. Perry wants to change, he wants Rob to expand his understanding of human dynamics and motives during college. Of the choices as I understand them, I think Rob and Eric's dad prefer the GSA to a Frat Society. :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This chapter makes me happy. You have really given Rob a lot more depth than simply an overprotective jock here. He is thoughtful and aware of his actions and realizes that joining the GSA could potentially mean overshadowing Eric. I already liked Rob but this chapter made me really respect him too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/29/2015 09:55 PM, LitLover said:

This chapter makes me happy. You have really given Rob a lot more depth than simply an overprotective jock here. He is thoughtful and aware of his actions and realizes that joining the GSA could potentially mean overshadowing Eric. I already liked Rob but this chapter made me really respect him too.

I'm glad I've improved your opinion about Rob. He may be a dominant older brother and high-status jock, but he does respect territories, and the GSA is Nelson and Eric's turf as far as Rob is concerned. Thus the need to get their approval. Of course, their dad may have helped Rob see how Eric feels, but the fact that he cares about him enough for it to matter is due to Rob alone.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was reading on my phone and couldn't leave comments, so here's what I think of the story so far :P
Nelson and Eric are so sweet together, hopefully that'll last :wub: Rob is a very supportive and protective brother :hug: Jasper is a great friend :thumbup: And both sets of parents are brilliant, and understanding and loving :)

 

These short prompts of yours are fabulous to read :read:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/23/2015 02:27 AM, Suvitar said:

I was reading on my phone and couldn't leave comments, so here's what I think of the story so far :P

Nelson and Eric are so sweet together, hopefully that'll last :wub: Rob is a very supportive and protective brother :hug: Jasper is a great friend :thumbup: And both sets of parents are brilliant, and understanding and loving :)

 

These short prompts of yours are fabulous to read :read:

Aww, thanks. What a wonderful summary. :D

I'm glad you've caught up and have enjoyed the trip so far. I shall have to get back to the boys soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The parents are sometimes a little über-perfect, but that could just be me. Rob on the other side...he is the perfect, slightly annoying, considerate brother and he is good at it. WOW. Um...yeah, team Rob and all.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/04/2015 09:50 PM, aditus said:

The parents are sometimes a little über-perfect, but that could just be me. Rob on the other side...he is the perfect, slightly annoying, considerate brother and he is good at it. WOW. Um...yeah, team Rob and all.

Well, perhaps the parents were on their best behavior too, since they may have wanted to impress their sons' future in-laws? :lol:

But yet they are perhaps too ideal, but I like to think I would react like them if I had a son who was gay. I don't want to imagine having a son like Rob. though - even as an older brother I'm not sure I could have coped. :rofl:

Did you perhaps want to design more Team Rob T-shirts?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I’d like your word that you’ll also join the GSA at college and stay a member for all four years. We want you to take active part in their work, engage yourself in the cause. You have great social skills and they should be used for something worthwhile, not just building your own status. If you’ll commit to that, I’m fine with you joining your high school GSA tomorrow.
- Pressure's on, Rob! Pressure's on! That's more like a mission right there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/17/2017 at 8:08 PM, Thirdly said:


- Pressure's on, Rob! Pressure's on! That's more like a mission right there.

 

You're right, but Rob has broad shoulders and a strong mind. He can deal with the high expectations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..