Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,664 Words
  • 3,214 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy’s Terrible Prompt Stories - 13. Prompt 364 That is the last time I am telling you anything! (I)

em>The boys meet Jasper's girlfriend - and Rob.
A Nelson POV chapter.

“That is the last time I am telling you anything!” Tina snubbed the two other girls, who were dragging her away from us. They were clearly embarrassed by the spectacle of their friend cooing over us and saying “I just knew it!” I imagined all of us thought ‘yeah, right’ to her outburst since it was highly unbelievable that Gossip Girl would pass up on a chance to share the interesting tidbits she loved to ferret out.

I was never more grateful for the ability of my best friend to face any kind of situation with a shrug and a joke.

“Right, I guess the town crier has done her duty, and you’re now well and truly launched as a couple. Such drama, but what can you expect?” Jasper suddenly grinned, “Maybe she’ll get course credits for the performance. Is Ms. Neall here?”

He made a show of looking around for our drama club teacher, and several people laughed. I heard one girl say that Ms. Neall would have appreciated the show, but criticized the over-the-top acting. I agreed.

We made our way to where we wanted to sit and got ourselves organized. We had brought extra clothes in the form of warm sweatshirts, thin but insulating socks and windproof coats. We spread one thick blanket on the bleacher seat, sat down and folded the sides up and over our outer thighs, before draping the other blanket over our laps. Jasper grinned at us; he had opted for green thermo gear leaving him free to move around, but looking somewhat like a bulky, reverse-color carrot.

“Don’t you look cozy! Hmm, I may have to try this idea with Carolyn. I bet you can get up to all sorts of fun under the cover of staying warm.”

“Shut up, Jazz,” I said, but I couldn’t really be mad at him, since Eric’s arm was around my shoulder and he was nuzzling my hair with his nose and whispering that he liked the idea. So far all of our hands were firmly above the blanket, but once the game got going, people would stop paying attention to us. Or so I hoped, because I wanted to hold his hand underneath the cover.

***

My prediction came true, more or less. No one paid us any attention once the game started. We held hands and kept each other warm, except whenever Rob was in action. Then Eric was busy entering data on his smartphone, explaining that he did all of his brother’s baseball statistics for him. He would also comment on the game at other times, and he was clearly well versed in all the aspects of baseball.

During the first hour of the game, things were pretty equal, but by the bottom of the fourth inning, West Hill had a lead of 5 to 2. I felt Eric tense up before the beginning of the fifth, and when I asked why, he said, “My dad’s here.”

I saw a tall blond man talking to Rob by the dugout. He turned around and after a bit his eyes found us. Eric raised his hand and his dad nodded at him. When he made no move to join us, my boyfriend relaxed again. I couldn’t help giving him a questioning look and Eric turned his head to speak in my ear.

“It’s not that I’m ashamed of us, or of him. But I don’t want to introduce you here.”

I nodded, since I could see his point. I wanted him to meet my parents in the relative calm of my own home too.

As we got closer to four o’clock, Jasper began to look around for Carolyn. He had managed to turn his phone on and texted her a couple of times. She agreed to come over to the school to meet him, after she finished work. Since the sixth promised to be another quick affair, both of them would probably stay for the 7th and last inning.

In fact, we were well into the bottom of the sixth, when Carolyn found us. Jasper greeted her with a hug and a quick kiss. She said, “Hi Nelson, Eric,” and I gave her a quick wave, but Eric’s attention was on the game. There were runners on third and first, two outs, and Rob was at bat, one strike down. I heard Jasper give his girlfriend a pointer and she immediately focused on the game too. She’d gotten quite fond of baseball after she started to date my best friend.

The pitcher threw a curve, but Rob didn’t swing, and it was called a ‘ball’. The next pitch was a fastball and Rob swung. The sound as the bat hit the ball was loud and sweet, and Jasper immediately yelled, “Home run!” Eric jumped up, spilling blankets, our bag of peanuts, and me all over the place. My friend’s prediction was soon vindicated, and I stood up to join the cheering as the ball sailed out of bounds and Rob started his amble around the bases waving at the crowd.

“Oh man, Dad is going to be over the moon. Rob will be so pleased we were here to see this.”

“Do you go to all his games?”

“Most of them. Baseball is the only sport we all like; even my mom will watch it on TV with us.”

“I’ve been to one or two of Jasper’s games, but I have to admit, it’s more fun when I’m here with you.”

Rob finally finished his home run and my boyfriend turned to smile at me.

“Thanks, Nelson. I enjoyed myself a lot more too. Would it be OK, if we went down to congratulate Rob after the game?”

“Sure. After all, we do sort of owe him, don’t we?”

"We do..?"

I smiled, and got close to his ear. "Well, he did play Cupid, after all." Eric agreed with a big blush and grin.

The seventh inning was nothing more than a formality and the two relief pitchers shut the game down with no more runs. I could see that Jasper and Carolyn were anxious to go, so I made a quick decision.

“Don’t wait for us, Jazz. We want to congratulate Rob, but it will probably be a while before he’s available. We’ll find another way home.”

I basked in the warmth of three grateful looks, mainly the one from Eric who was obviously torn between the desire to be here for his brother and the worry of annoying the friends of his boyfriend. After all, we had originally meant to go home an hour ago.

“Thanks Nelson, I’m worn out after a busy day at work, so I want to go home and relax. Eric, will you please congratulate Rob from Jazz and me?” Carolyn smiled at both of us, and Jasper nodded and took her hand. From the twinkle in her eye, when she said “Have a nice evening, boys,” as they left, it was obvious Jasper had spilled the beans about Eric and me.

We got our belongings together, stuffing the blankets and sweatshirts into our backpacks but keeping our coats on, since the wind was getting stronger. By the time we made our way down to home plate, the visiting team had gone in to shower, but most of the home team was still celebrating their win. Rob was being hugged and kissed by a buxom blonde girl, whom I assumed was Melanie; I could vaguely recall having seen the senior around.

Rob’s dad was standing next to them, and I wondered if the prospect of facing both of them would deter Eric. But he kept a firm hold of my hand and we bided our time. Once Rob had disentangled himself from his girlfriend, she turned to speak to his dad. Rob’s eyes scanned around and as soon as he caught sight of us, a huge happy grin appeared on his face. Without the slightest hesitation he pushed his way through the crowd to get to us.

Eric began talking the moment Rob was in earshot.

“Well done, Rob, that was awesome…”

He got no further before Rob crashed into us and gave us both an exuberant hug.

“You stayed! I wasn’t sure you would, but I spotted you during the warm-up. I went out there and told myself, ‘This one is for Eric and Nelson’, and I just knew I would nail it. I saw you cheering too. Thanks, guys!”

He squeezed once more, before letting us go. I held on to Eric who put his arm around my shoulders to steady me while I got my breath back.

Eric said, “That was your fifth home run, wasn’t it, Rob? One last year, and four this year is pretty good for a twelve game season. And your batting average and RBI were better than normal too.”

“Well bro, you would know.” Rob grinned and turned to me. “My clever brother has done all the statistics for me ever since I started playing.”

Just then Rob and Eric’s father came over and the coach shouted at the players to grab their stuff and go clean up, since the locker rooms and showers were now free. Rob grinned at us and jogged off, pausing for a quick word with Melanie, before he picked up his gear and disappeared inside. She followed at a slower pace, together with the girlfriends of other players, and I recalled that Eric had told me they were all going out to celebrate.

I turned my attention back to Eric, whose cheeks were a bit red, and suddenly noticed that his dad was looking at him expectantly.

“Ehm, Dad, would you mind giving Nelson and me a lift back, since Jasper left already?”

“No problem. But maybe you have time to come home with me for an hour or two? We’d love to meet Nelson properly. When do your parents expect you back for dinner?”

Uh oh…

I apologize for any baseball mistakes. I looked up the rules, and it said that high school games usually had 7 innings. As always my profound gratitude to AC for beta and edit help.
Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Any aseball mistakes are forgiven. You made me smile.

The way you described their sitting arrangement on the bleachers and the banter with Jared was most enjoyable.

I'd like to start TEAM JARED..... dual membership with TEAM ROB is acceptable those two crack me up. Sorry to say I like them even more than I like Nelson and Eric. It may be because you're giving the two baseball players all the fun stuff to do and say but they keep me coming back! Can't wait until there's a triple date! You better make that chapter looooooong!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/27/2014 at 7:34 PM, Carlos Hazday said:

Any baseball mistakes are forgiven. You made me smile.

The way you described their sitting arrangement on the bleachers and the banter with Jared was most enjoyable.

I'd like to start TEAM JARED..... dual membership with TEAM ROB is acceptable those two crack me up. Sorry to say I like them even more than I like Nelson and Eric. It may be because you're giving the two baseball players all the fun stuff to do and say but they keep me coming back! Can't wait until there's a triple date! You better make that chapter looooooong!

Well, it's not the first time that the comic relief characters are more popular than the main ones. Just think about Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing (not that I'm comparing my story to his). I always liked the 'I'm an ass' guard best.

Feel free to start a TEAM Jasper, and I'll try to give him more time. Triple date, hmmmm...

Edited by Timothy M.
Link to comment
On 11/28/2014 05:59 AM, Irritable1 said:
Aw. My antiRob heart is melted.
Glad to hear that, Irri. Let's hope it lasts. :lol:
Link to comment

Another great chapter Tim. Rob is just so adorable...whether he is straight or gay. Such a caring relationship with his brother. I agree with Carlos...I'll join team Jared now too. I loved you showing two high school guys being able to snuggle under blankets at a baseball game without being hassled...It's a beautiful thing.I liked the end of this chapter...awkward :o Thanks for keeping the good feeling going Tim...cheers...Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/28/2014 07:13 AM, Headstall said:
Another great chapter Tim. Rob is just so adorable...whether he is straight or gay. Such a caring relationship with his brother. I agree with Carlos...I'll join team Jared now too. I loved you showing two high school guys being able to snuggle under blankets at a baseball game without being hassled...It's a beautiful thing.I liked the end of this chapter...awkward :o Thanks for keeping the good feeling going Tim...cheers...Gary
People might have objected to the boys snuggling (even if it was discrete), but no one would want to confront Nelson about this. Or at least that is the idea of him being proficient in martial arts an the school being progressive on this.

I'm glad you noticed the potential awkwardness at the end.

Link to comment

Always a wonderful surprise to read your work! My heart fluttered at the last bit just as Eric's did--Nelson better answer before Eric blurts out what he is so good at--the truth is not helpful right now...maybe Nelson could say that they (him and Nelson) were planning on going out to eat, and his parents left things open due to the game?

 

Once more Rob and Jasper know just how to break any tension, though Rob can create it better. :)

 

Thanks for the nice imagery, and baseball errors would pass me by--I consider it as exciting as watching grass grow. I'll take soccer or rugby any day over and other sport...though swimming has it's own special appeal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another great chapter. You are really keeping them going which is great. I'm blowing on the fires of inspiration to fan them too. This is such a delight and so enjoyable. Thanks for writing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/28/2014 07:23 PM, Jaro_423 said:
Another great chapter. You are really keeping them going which is great. I'm blowing on the fires of inspiration to fan them too. This is such a delight and so enjoyable. Thanks for writing.
Thanks Jaro, glad you're still feeling entertained and want me to keep writing. That's the best incentive to post more chapters.
Link to comment
On 11/28/2014 09:53 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Always a wonderful surprise to read your work! My heart fluttered at the last bit just as Eric's did--Nelson better answer before Eric blurts out what he is so good at--the truth is not helpful right now...maybe Nelson could say that they (him and Nelson) were planning on going out to eat, and his parents left things open due to the game?

 

Once more Rob and Jasper know just how to break any tension, though Rob can create it better. :)

 

Thanks for the nice imagery, and baseball errors would pass me by--I consider it as exciting as watching grass grow. I'll take soccer or rugby any day over and other sport...though swimming has it's own special appeal.

I actually enjoyed watching baseball during my year in the US once I understood the rules. But cricket is boring.

So you assume Eric has the same tendency as Rob to blurt out the truth ? Hmm maybe, but time will tell. :)

And I'm glad Jasper is forgiven for interrupting their kissing.

Link to comment

Well since I bungled and gave review comments for chapter 13 in the 12 review (ooppps), I will say here how much I liked Eric and Nelson just being nonchalant in the previous chapter, even in the face of 'Gossip Girl.'

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/29/2014 02:13 AM, AC Benus said:
Well since I bungled and gave review comments for chapter 13 in the 12 review (ooppps), I will say here how much I liked Eric and Nelson just being nonchalant in the previous chapter, even in the face of 'Gossip Girl.'
That's OK. I managed to reply to Carlos' ch 1 review as if it was on ch 7. So I'm glad I'm not the only one to make mistakes.

I suspect they've learnt from experience (in the drama club) how to deal with Tina in an exuberant mood. Sort of grit your teeth and wait for it to be over.

Link to comment

Yes I enjoyed the chapter very much and I wouldn't know if there were any mistakes although I actually watched the occasional baseball game because Dave's fascination with the game made me curious. But I can't get over Rob being Cupid... I picture him with a bow and wings...well... :rofl:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/30/2014 05:52 AM, aditus said:
Yes I enjoyed the chapter very much and I wouldn't know if there were any mistakes although I actually watched the occasional baseball game because Dave's fascination with the game made me curious. But I can't get over Rob being Cupid... I picture him with a bow and wings...well... :rofl:
Eeww I may need a brain wash to get rid of that image. :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it and hopefully more fun will be coming soon.

Link to comment
On 12/11/2014 02:27 AM, Suvitar said:
Another wonderful chapter :thumbup:
Thanks, I'm glad you're still happy to ride along.
Link to comment

Well now - how do the boys get out of this? :P I have a funny feeling they're going to end up back at Eric's house for the rest of the day haha. I like Jasper and Rob. They are both great guys. It was nice to have a scene with Eric and Nelson sitting with each other - wrapped in a blanket - at a high school game - and no one cared (well except Jas who was wildly happy for his friend lol)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/03/2015 11:47 PM, EagleIsaac said:
Well now - how do the boys get out of this? :P I have a funny feeling they're going to end up back at Eric's house for the rest of the day haha. I like Jasper and Rob. They are both great guys. It was nice to have a scene with Eric and Nelson sitting with each other - wrapped in a blanket - at a high school game - and no one cared (well except Jas who was wildly happy for his friend lol)
Your instincts are good. :) Glad Jasper gets your approval as well as Rob. Most people are there to watch the game, so discreet snuggling is not a problem. Not that anyone would dare to confront Nelson, lol.
Link to comment
On 07/24/2015 12:12 AM, Caz Pedroso said:

Oh, dear. Now just how are they going to get out of that one???

Well, you already know the answer to that, lol. (They're not.)

Link to comment
On 03/11/2017 11:32 AM, Thirdly said:

Ha ha ha! Oh, come on boys. Get the "meet the parents" over and done with. No fear!

Yeah, rip the band aid off fast, right?

Link to comment

“You stayed! I wasn’t sure you would, but I spotted you during the warm-up. I went out there and told myself, ‘This one is for Eric and Nelson’, and I just knew I would nail it. I saw you cheering too. Thanks, guys!”

Aww❣️❣️ 

The poop’s going to hit the fan now, unless Eric and Nelson are quick on their feet liars (not). 

Edited by FanLit
  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, FanLit said:

“You stayed! I wasn’t sure you would, but I spotted you during the warm-up. I went out there and told myself, ‘This one is for Eric and Nelson’, and I just knew I would nail it. I saw you cheering too. Thanks, guys!”

Aww❣️❣️ 

The poop’s going to hit the fan now, unless Eric and Nelson are quick on their feet liars (not). 

See, Eric does admire his older brother and appreciate his good qualities. ;) 

Yep, there will be some explaining to do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..