Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 2,041 Words
  • 1,965 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy’s Terrible Prompt Stories - 40. Prompt 460 Who invited you?

Sorry about skipping the rest of Sunday night, but this first line prompt was too good an opportunity to miss.
Rob's plans are carried out on Monday morning.
A Rob POV chapter

“Who invited you?” The disgust and annoyance was obvious in Ryan’s voice, but Rob was pleased to see Eric and Nelson ignored the second baseman completely.

“I did!” Rob flashed a quick grin at his new ginger-haired friend across the coffee shop table, as they both spoke at the same time. Jasper gestured at him to keep going.

“And why shouldn’t they be here?” Rob stared at Ryan who tried to look unconcerned. When Rob had joined the gathering a few minutes earlier, he had been hailed as the game hero by most of them, but the SB, Chris and a few others had ignored him. Fine by Rob, but he wasn’t going to let anyone pick on Eric.

The guy with dark brown hair shrugged. “They’re not part of the team.”

“Neither are our girlfriends, but nobody objects to them being here.” Jasper turned to claim a kiss from Carolyn. She had been busy helping Nelson distribute the cups from the tray he held. Afterwards he and Eric settled down on the chairs she and Jasper had kept free for them.

“Speaking of which, where’s Melanie?” somebody said behind Rob.

“I don’t know and I don’t care.” Rob could see most of the people around him had already heard about the break-up, but he wondered how many of them knew the reason. Not that it mattered either.

His casual dismissal of his ex-girlfriend caused the hush to deepen, but surprisingly no one commented or asked any of the questions which were probably on at least some people’s minds.

“Anyway, here’s to the win of the weekend; you guys were great!” Rob raised his cup and nodded to those teammates who were ahead of him in the line-up. The two runners he’d let score with his home run, raised their cups back at him, and everyone joined in on the cheering.

The normal chatting and banter picked up again, and Rob grinned at Eric and Nelson. This morning had gone exactly as planned so far.

***

They’d met in the parking lot half-an-hour earlier. Jasper had picked up Carolyn on the way to school, and they headed towards the coffee shop. Nelson led the way to the GSA ‘office,’ and Rob noticed his brother and the normally shy junior casually held hands as if they’d been boyfriends for months. Yes, this was exactly the cool attitude he wanted from them.

Trevor was alone in the room, tapping away at his laptop when Rob opened the door for the lovebirds. Over Nelson’s shoulder he could see Trevor’s eyes flick down to the joined hands and back up to their faces before his gaze met Rob’s.

“Good morning guys, what can I do for you?”

“Hi Trevor. Eric and Rob are here to join the GSA.” Nelson sounded deeply satisfied.

Rob wanted to shake his head at how oblivious Nelson was. He treated Trevor as if they were acquaintances or casual friends, but to him it was clear Trevor had once hoped they might be more. However, he had to admit the dark-haired guy hid it well. He smiled and welcomed Eric, and joked with Rob about leaving it to the last minute to join.

“Yeah, sorry about that, Trev. I would have done so long before now, if someone hadn’t been a stubborn idiot.”

“Rob!” Eric punched his arm, and the blond jock grinned. Good to see he could still wind up his little brother. They finished the formalities and talked for a few minutes more, and Rob’s respect for Trevor increased. The calm and collected senior seemed genuinely pleased for Nelson and Eric about their new status while they discussed the possible challenges with being out in high school and going to the prom as a couple.

As they finally turned to leave, a group of freshmen – or perhaps sophomores – entered; two guys and three girls. They stopped and huddled just inside the door, and Rob nudged Eric.

“Come on, guys, let’s go.”

Eric got the message, and he took Nelson’s hand. As they walked past the group, Eric greeted a couple of them by name, confirming Rob’s guess of them being in his year. He noticed both boys looked at the couple with wide, envious eyes, while at least one of the girls sighed with what seemed a mix of admiration and regret. When her eyes moved on to Rob who was a few steps behind, he gave the pretty girl his cheeky smile, and was rewarded by a charming blush and a smile in return. Oh yeah, he still had the power, even if she was way too young.

The corridors were pretty much deserted. None of the school buses had arrived yet, and Rob knew most of the seniors who came in early would be in the coffee shop. Time for the next mission of the day.

“So, that was Trevor; he seems nice.” Eric’s casual comment didn’t fool Rob one bit. Hmm, Trevor had taken Nelson to the prom, but what else might have happened, and had he told Eric?

“Yeah, he’s a good GSA president. He makes people feel comfortable and safe, but he’s not afraid to speak up for our rights. I wish I was more like him.”

Rob’s mouth fell open, and as he stared at Nelson’s back, Eric expressed both their thoughts.

“What the fuck…oops, what on earth are you talking about?” Even though they were alone, Eric looked around for any teacher who might have caught him swearing in school. He turned back to Nelson. “You’re always the first to confront any bigots and stand up for gay rights.”

“Oh, I can do so if I’m angry or upset. But getting up in front of a crowd and addressing them like Trevor does, now that takes guts. He wanted me to run for GSA president, but it won’t happen. In any case, it should be a freshman or a sophomore, since I’ll graduate next year.”

Afterwards, Rob would swear he saw the lightbulb go on over Nelson’s head. Maybe Eric did too, because he stopped and turned to face his boyfriend.

“Oh, nonono, don’t you dare—” he began.

“Why not? I think it’s an excellent idea, bro.” Rob caught up and clapped a hand on Nelson’s shoulder. “You’ll make a great GSA president, Eric, if you put a bit of effort into it. Nelson and Jasper will back you up, and so will Dad. He’s good at all those ‘how to motivate people’ tactics.”

“But…but…” Eric stammered, and to Rob’s amusement Nelson leaned forward to shut him up with a quick kiss.

“Let’s talk about it later, babe. It was just a random idea.” He pulled on Eric’s hand to get them walking again, and Rob followed with a smirk on his face. Oh yeah, Nelson had already found out how to deal with Eric. He had to get used to new suggestions or plans gradually, but once they’d settled in his head, or he’d thought them over for a while, he usually gave in. Rob would make sure this great idea would not be forgotten.

Before they entered the coffee shop, Rob gave Eric a bunch of money. “You know what I like, bro, and I guess Nelson can order for Jazz and his girl. Get whatever you want for yourselves too.”

“Thanks, Rob. We will.” Nelson nodded at him, and Rob knew his promise covered the unspoken part of the plan too.

He turned and entered the shop, making a straight line for the back of the room where the baseball team, their girlfriends, and a few other supporters always gathered. Their noisy greetings and congratulations attracted the disapproving attention of a few morning-grumpy customers, but Rob didn’t care. He gave high-fives and backslaps to various guys and smiling nods to everyone else.

When the eyes of several teammates were pulled away from him, he knew Eric and Nelson had entered the coffee shop. He didn’t turn around, but locked eyes with Jasper.

“Hey Jazz, you’re up early this morning. How’s your wrist doing? I hope you gave it a rest last night.”

“Very funny, Rob. My wrist is OK, and I expect I can start training tonight. The coach has promised to help me with some strengthening exercises.”

“That’s cool; we miss you on the pitcher’s mound, right, guys?” Rob included their main catcher and the senior pitcher, Mitchell, in the conversation, and both of them made appropriate and genuine affirmative noises. By now most people’s attention had returned to the group, so Rob snagged a chair and sat down. While he did, he flicked his eyes towards the counter and as expected, Eric and Nelson were in the process of ordering. He relaxed and waited.

Mitchell, who was seated next to him, leaned in and spoke in a low voice. “Your brother and Nelson look cool together, holding hands like that at the counter. Don't take my word for it; a lot of people up there think so too.”

Rob let his eyes rove across the other customers in the coffee shop. Some were seated at tables near the windows, and others were waiting near the counter for their to-go coffees. By now, most of them were ignoring Eric and Nelson, so he was unable to confirm Mitchell’s observation. But he did see a couple of young women giggling and nudging each other as they ogled the teen couple.

“I don’t know what it is with girls and good-looking gay guys. Amy was all ‘Awww, adorable’ after the match, and in the Mall too.” Mitchell’s voice held good-natured laughter rather than irritation.

“Shit, that’s right. You and Amy were at the Mall when Jazz went off at those idiots.” Rob suddenly recalled seeing them in the background. He turned his head to look at the pitcher, and they both repeated ‘shameful stupidity’ and burst out laughing.

“Oh man, the look on their faces! Priceless.” Mitchell was shaking his head in admiration. “Ahh, your brother’s on his way.”

Rob had shifted his gaze to the group of baseball players who ignored his arrival, in time to observe their reaction to Eric and Nelson. Chris turned his back, most of the others looked surly but resigned, and only Ryan had dared to voice any objections. Speaking of which, it looked like the idiot was trying to garner some support amongst the others. Time to act, but first he needed to get rid of the lovebirds.

Rob caught Eric’s eyes and gave a small head toss and a nod, meaning ‘Get out of here, if you want to.’ Eric didn’t acknowledge him, but a couple of seconds later he leaned sideways to whisper into Nelson’s ear. The junior nodded and said something to Jasper, who grinned and held up his hand to high-five his best friend.

“So, I guess you’re not taking Melanie to the prom?” Mitchell asked, and Rob gave an affirmative grunt, his eyes moving from his brother to Ryan to make sure the jerk didn’t say anything before Eric and Nelson had left.

“I promised Amy I’d ask if you might consider taking her sister instead. Apparently, she has a crush on you.”

“What the fuck, dude?!” Rob’s attention was wrenched away, but he registered the lovebirds leaving, hand-in-hand, out of the corner of his eye. “I don’t even know Amy’s sister. Is she at West High?”

“Uhmm, yeah, I think she’s a freshman. Eric might know her.”

“No fucking way, jeez Mitch, what were you and Amy thinking?” Rob shuddered at the thought of taking a fourteen-year-old girl to the Prom. Her parents would kill him – so would Mom and Dad, come to think of it.

“I know, I know, and Amy tried to tell her sister. But at least now she can say I asked. And honestly Rob, you’re suddenly single, so all the unattached chicks are gonna come running. Don’t tell me you’re surprised?”

“I hadn’t really thought about it.” Rob lied.

“Yeah, right,” laughed Mitch and punched his shoulder. Rob shrugged and turned his head to make sure Eric and Nelson were gone. Now he was ready to deal with Mr. Who-Invited-You and any other bigots lurking around.

My thanks to AC for a fast edit.
Next chapter will be devoted to Nelson and Eric.
Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I loved the chapter onkel Tim :lol: I am sometimes amused by Nelson's obliviousness to his surroundings. He atleast has a reason in Eric now :gikkle: . I like Trevor :yes: he's really mature. I feel bad for him, maybe he should get a boyfriend too :) I am waiting to see how Rob's going to deal with the bigots :unsure: (sometimes I wonder what Rob's full name is :huh: ) so, is Eric going to be GSA's next president :huh: that would be fun, really fun :lol: thanks for the chapter onkel Tim :hug:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I do love Rob chapters... but you ended it before he told off the bigots! Of course that just means another Rob chapter ;) It's interesting how observant Rob actually is. He noticed that Trevor's interest in Nelson and he notices other people watching Eric and Nelson. I wonder if he's that observant about himself?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Yay!!! :D

 

I am so looking forward to how Rob handles the bigots! I'll just have to get the popcorn for that chapter ;)

 

And Rob and Eric are now GSA members! This'll be fun! :lol: and yeah, Rob joined at "the last minute" but he'll leave a mark on GSA in his last remaining months as a senior :yes: As for Eric, he has the next three years, and there is a whole lot of possibilities for him :)

 

Tim, this was a delight to read after I woke up from a nap, thank you :hug:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Rob is still a great, if bossy, big brother. He sees a lot and is able to work angles how he wants them. He'd be a very successful businessman or a great politician. lol I think it's only a matter of time before they convince Eric to go for GSA President. I think it would be good for him to put himself out there like that. It would be good for his confidence, especially when both Nelson and Rob are away at school.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

What the hell? Cliffhanger? So not fair. Oh well, you are a 'bloody author' after all. So Eric for GSA president. I like it. Trevor looks like he's a good guy. Maybe him and Rob... :*) Oh never mind... not going to happen. But Rob does need a date for the prom :unsure: . Anyway, back to you being cruel... you owe us for this, buddy. Great chapter, Tim... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another amazing chapter, Tim! My favorite part was Rob noticing that Nelson knew how to deal with Eric already--letting an idea sit in his head a bit before discussing it further. :)
I was also impressed how Rob picked up on Trevor's feelings about Nelson...he's far more aware of things than I had thought about people's feelings. He's going to make a good GSA member in college.
I'm eager to see how Rob is going to address the team problem...we know physical acts are out--at least for now. Sic'em Rob! :)
More please Tim Prime!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Leaving us wanting more! LOL Good job though. Everyone just has to love Rob. Will be interesting to see how he handles things...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2015 10:00 AM, Victor Gutte said:

I loved the chapter onkel Tim :lol: I am sometimes amused by Nelson's obliviousness to his surroundings. He atleast has a reason in Eric now :gikkle: . I like Trevor :yes: he's really mature. I feel bad for him, maybe he should get a boyfriend too :) I am waiting to see how Rob's going to deal with the bigots :unsure: (sometimes I wonder what Rob's full name is :huh: ) so, is Eric going to be GSA's next president :huh: that would be fun, really fun :lol: thanks for the chapter onkel Tim :hug:

Thanks, Victor. I feel a little bad for Trevor too, maybe I should tell his story and what happened after he went to college. He's a great guy, and I'm not sure Nelson appreciated him enough. Actually, AC pointed this out to me, since I was almost as oblivious as Nelson. :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2015 11:26 AM, LitLover said:

I do love Rob chapters... but you ended it before he told off the bigots! Of course that just means another Rob chapter ;) It's interesting how observant Rob actually is. He noticed that Trevor's interest in Nelson and he notices other people watching Eric and Nelson. I wonder if he's that observant about himself?

Yes, Rob is actually quite observant - although he did miss the signs with Melanie, plus Eric managed to evade him for a while about being gay. But I think he does best when he's on a mission and alert, which was the case here.

Another Rob chapter? hmm, see the story discussion forum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2015 12:53 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

Yay!!! :D

 

I am so looking forward to how Rob handles the bigots! I'll just have to get the popcorn for that chapter ;)

 

And Rob and Eric are now GSA members! This'll be fun! :lol: and yeah, Rob joined at "the last minute" but he'll leave a mark on GSA in his last remaining months as a senior :yes: As for Eric, he has the next three years, and there is a whole lot of possibilities for him :)

 

Tim, this was a delight to read after I woke up from a nap, thank you :hug:

You're welcome, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. We'll have to see what happens with the GSA, the Eric for President was a spur of the moment lightbulb moment for me too.

Feel free to come up with suggestions for the bigot confrontation, my mind is blank :o

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2015 at 3:04 AM, EagleIsaac said:

Rob is still a great, if bossy, big brother. He sees a lot and is able to work angles how he wants them. He'd be a very successful businessman or a great politician. lol I think it's only a matter of time before they convince Eric to go for GSA President. I think it would be good for him to put himself out there like that. It would be good for his confidence, especially when both Nelson and Rob are away at school.

 

LOL, Rob will always be a bossy, big brother. :rofl:

At least we can hope he'll use his people management skills for good causes.

Yes, Eric as GSA president might work out well, and I don't think he has a chance against the combined persuasion skills of Nelson and Rob. :)

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2015 03:44 PM, Headstall said:

What the hell? Cliffhanger? So not fair. Oh well, you are a 'bloody author' after all. So Eric for GSA president. I like it. Trevor looks like he's a good guy. Maybe him and Rob... :*) Oh never mind... not going to happen. But Rob does need a date for the prom :unsure: . Anyway, back to you being cruel... you owe us for this, buddy. Great chapter, Tim... cheers... Gary...

:blink: I honestly didn't see this as a cliffhanger! But I'm glad you like Trevor. He and Rob should have fun teaming up as the GSA representatives at the Junior Prom. As for anything else, nope (as you rightly concluded). But I'll try to think of something nice for Trevor in college.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2015 10:27 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Another amazing chapter, Tim! My favorite part was Rob noticing that Nelson knew how to deal with Eric already--letting an idea sit in his head a bit before discussing it further. :)

I was also impressed how Rob picked up on Trevor's feelings about Nelson...he's far more aware of things than I had thought about people's feelings. He's going to make a good GSA member in college.

I'm eager to see how Rob is going to address the team problem...we know physical acts are out--at least for now. Sic'em Rob! :)

More please Tim Prime!

Thanks, CG, that was actually my favorite part too. :D

Yes, Rob had a Sharp eye for Trevor's feelings, but you'll have to remember he also saw him together with Nelson at the Junior Prom.

As to Ryan et al, see the forum. :facepalm:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2015 10:41 PM, Puppilull said:

Leaving us wanting more! LOL Good job though. Everyone just has to love Rob. Will be interesting to see how he handles things...

LOL, I'd say that was one of the purposes of an author of an incomplete story, leaving his readers wanting more. You do too...

I can see you're a core member of Team Rob. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Isn't there an old saying about how we paint the scene with the brush we want? I wonder if Rob is just so on the lookout for bias against his brother, that's he's projecting it onto the situation here.

 

If that's the case, you've done it nice and subtly. First off with the comment of 'What's he doing here,' which Rob takes to mean one thing, but which Ryan explains is a question of why Rob would let his younger bro come with him. We might think it's a homophobic statement, when it's really more a cub thing; he's not a part of our team.

 

I think you reinforce this by having the second friend point out how 'cool' it is that Eric and Nelson are holding hands, and everybody's admiring it.

 

All that put together could make for an interesting encounter to come in the next chapter. Can't wait to see it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/19/2015 11:20 AM, AC Benus said:

Isn't there an old saying about how we paint the scene with the brush we want? I wonder if Rob is just so on the lookout for bias against his brother, that's he's projecting it onto the situation here.

 

If that's the case, you've done it nice and subtly. First off with the comment of 'What's he doing here,' which Rob takes to mean one thing, but which Ryan explains is a question of why Rob would let his younger bro come with him. We might think it's a homophobic statement, when it's really more a cub thing; he's not a part of our team.

 

I think you reinforce this by having the second friend point out how 'cool' it is that Eric and Nelson are holding hands, and everybody's admiring it.

 

All that put together could make for an interesting encounter to come in the next chapter. Can't wait to see it!

Sorry about missing this wonderful review until now. It's a very interesting theory, AC, and I shall have to think it over carefully before I write the next chapter. Ryan did say something at the party, which caused Rob to punch him, but that may have been drunken stupidity. Hmmmm...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Since you already have someone calling you ‘ven’ and another one ‘oncle’ (my little translation utility couldn’t find the Danish word for ‘nephew,’ but it did find non-blood-relative ‘cousin’), I’ve decided you’re my ‘fætter.’ I just need to remember to keep calling you that – and how to spell it! ;-)

 

By my count you’re planning on at least two college spinoffs: one featuring Rob and the other with Trevor. I don’t know when you’re going to get around to them, but maybe yo could lighten your load a bit by having Rob and Trevor attend the same college. And maybe more? ’Trob?’ ‘Rovor?’ ;-)

Link to comment
On 01/30/2017 08:50 PM, droughtquake said:

Since you already have someone calling you ‘ven’ and another one ‘oncle’ (my little translation utility couldn’t find the Danish word for ‘nephew,’ but it did find non-blood-relative ‘cousin’), I’ve decided you’re my ‘fætter.’ I just need to remember to keep calling you that – and how to spell it! ;-)

 

By my count you’re planning on at least two college spinoffs: one featuring Rob and the other with Trevor. I don’t know when you’re going to get around to them, but maybe yo could lighten your load a bit by having Rob and Trevor attend the same college. And maybe more? ’Trob?’ ‘Rovor?’ ;-)

Nevø, onkel and fætter are only some words for male family members. Farbror, morbror, farfar and morfar are other options. Not to mention svigerfar, svigersøn and svoger for the in-laws. But fætter is normally a blood relation, since you'd share grandparents.

Don't remind me of all the possible spin-offs here, I have a hard enough time arriving at the Prom. :facepalm: For Rob-at-college I recommend Meta.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2015 at 9:22 AM, Timothy M. said:

LOL, Rob will always be a boosy, big brother. :rofl:

‘Boosy’? Is that a combination of bossy and boozy? That doesn’t sound good! A drunk older brother giving orders! There’s been no foreshadowing of this important flaw in perfect Rob. Will he have a debilitating accident that ‘robs’ him of his sense of purpose and balance? What a bizarre turn of events! You definitely have to fill us in on this nightmare future Rob! What? It’s just a typo? In the word’s of Emily Litella (as portrayed by the immortal Gilda Radner on Saturday Night Live in the late ‘70s), “Never mind!”  ;-)

Link to comment
5 hours ago, droughtquake said:

‘Boosy’? Is that a combination of bossy and boozy? That doesn’t sound good!

 

LOL, I can't believe I didn't notice that typo. :facepalm: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..