Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,528 Words
  • 1,867 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy’s Terrible Prompt Stories - 57. Prompt 560 I'll never, ever, forgive you!

Surprise, a Ryan POV chapter with Rob on a mission.

‘I'll never, ever, forgive you!’

Fuck. Ryan took a gulp of his coffee and tried to pretend the hurt burning in his chest were due to the too hot drink, not the memory of his cousin’s harsh words. Rubbing his eyes happened because he was tired from a bad night’s sleep, not to get rid of excess moisture.

“Dude, are you OK?”

Arrghh. He felt like banging his head against the wall. The last person he wanted to see right now was nosy, clever Rob Perry.

“I’m fine. Fuck off and leave me alone.”

No such luck. A strong, comforting arm descended on his shoulders, and Rob’s calm voice spoke quietly next to him.

“Ryan, your game was a bit off last night, and you look like hell today. You can pretend to be gruff and tough all you like, but your friends know better.”

“What friends?” He almost succeeded in keeping the bitterness from leaking out.

“Jasper, Kenny, Adam,” Rob listed their teammates, and Ryan shrugged. Yeah, Ken and Adam were his closest friends since fourth grade, but even they had tired of the angry Ryan, who pushed everyone away.

“Me,” Rob ended and gave his shoulder a quick squeeze before he leaned back. Ryan finally glanced up, but the concerned look on Rob’s face had him avert his eyes fast. Shit, he did not need this on top of everything else.

“We’re not friends,” he muttered, hoping this would scare Rob off. But he knew better, and the blond jock simply snorted.

“Maybe not yet, and I guess there’s not much time left to become high school buddies. But even if we can only be friends for a few months, it might be worth it.”

“For who?” Ryan shot back. “I’m no charity case, and—“

Rob interrupted him. “Did I say you were? I would benefit just as much, maybe more.”

“How?”

“Well, friends would meet up to play baseball during the summer holidays, right? I can use all the extra practice I can get, if I’m going to play baseball in college. Most of the junior and varsity teams are on board, but I’d love to have our best second baseman participating.”

“I have to work during the summer.” Ryan’s dad had made that perfectly clear.

“But not every day, right? What about weekends? Don’t tell me you won’t miss baseball on Saturdays.”

Ryan shrugged, and Rob seemed to take it as agreement. He immediately returned to digging, the persistent bastard.

“Now tell me what happened yesterday afternoon. You were fine during lunch, but your running and ball-throwing sucked last night.”

This time the wince and the knot of shame in his guts were due to the memory of Coach yelling at him to get a grip. The surprised and annoyed looks from his teammates hadn’t helped either.

“Anyone can have a bad day. Did you get up early just to come here and piss me off?”

“Nope, to find out what’s wrong,” Rob admitted and gave his best disarming grin when Ryan glared at him.

“Why are you poking your nose into other people’s business?”

“I’m a free man now, with time on my hands. I don’t have to pick up the ex, and Eric stayed at Nelson’s house last night, so there was no slow bro to give a lift either.”

The topic of Rob’s ex was better than the lovebirds, as Jasper had dubbed them, so Ryan tried to divert the direction of their talk.

“Melanie tries to pretend she dumped you, but we all know better.”

“If it makes her feel happy, I don’t mind her telling people she broke up with me. In fact, you might say she did initiate the break-up. All the more reason for me to hang around with other single guys, who’re going stag to the Prom.”

“So why are you hanging around here? I don’t fit those specific criteria.”

“Ohh, fancy words there. Aren’t you single?”

Ryan shrugged, but he was forced to nod.

“But you’re not going stag? Or maybe you aren’t going to the Prom at all?”

“Not much point, is there?” Ryan downed the rest of his coffee and stood up. School didn’t start for another twenty minutes, but he wanted to get away from Rob’s relentless probing. Of course, the idiot couldn’t take a hint, but came along as if they were buddies hanging out.

“Not much point in what? Going to the Prom? Taking a girl as your date? Life in general?”

WTF? Ryan didn’t like what Rob was trying to hint with those questions. But the blond menace didn’t give him time to object.

“Never mind, you don’t have to answer any of that. But you are going to tell me what’s making you look like you’re swallowed a scared porcupine.”

“Fuck off, Rob. I’m not in the mood.”

“Nope. Tell me or else….”

“Else what? You’re gonna punch me again?”

“Nah, I’m just gonna follow you around and nag.”

Rob smirked when Ryan gaped at him. “Works with Eric, and let me tell you, he’s a hard nut to crack. It took me six months to get him to tell me he’s gay. I had to resort to dirty tricks.”

Shit. Ryan knew Rob was more than capable of carrying out his threat, especially now that he didn’t have a girlfriend to occupy his time. Well, if Rob was going to be like that, Ryan would let him have it, both barrels.

“I called my cousin.”

“You called…oh fuck, you called the cousin you outed,” Rob stopped walking, and Ryan swung around to face him.

“Duh! Just rub it in some more.”

“That bad, eh? What did he say?”

“I'll never, ever, forgive you!” Why the hell did those words still hurt?

Next thing he knew Rob was hugging him. It was brief but full-on, and afterwards his arm stayed around Ryan’s shoulders.

“Man, that was harsh. You were just a kid who saw it as no big deal and couldn’t imagine adults acting like hateful idiots, and….” Rob was going full-on crusade mode when Ryan started to laugh.

“Will you calm down, dude. Yeah, that’s what he said just after it happened, and what he told me he’s felt for a long time. He knows better now, and we’re cool.”

“What? You’re cool?” Rob looked like Ryan had taken him out with a fast catch at second base, something which rarely happened.

“OK, I’ll admit some of it was tough, but Jordan actually apologized for treating me like shit for ages. I’ve avoided him for the last couple of years, and apparently he’s worked out his issues about the whole incident recently.”

“So why hasn’t he gotten in touch with you? Didn’t he realize how much this meant?” Rob looked ready to go off on another rant.

“Nah, like I said nobody ever talked about it in our family. I mean, Jordan was out, and everyone sort of got over the shock, moved on and ignored it.”

“Dude, not talking about it, that’s…that’s crazy,” Rob said, and Ryan shook his arm loose with a grin.

“No, you’re the crazy jock, doing all this emotional sharing shit like a chick, and hugging people whether they want you to or not.” He punched Rob on the shoulder playfully and shifted away when he tried to retaliate.

“Like I said, I’m fine. I had things on my mind last night, but I’ll be back to normal on Thursday and ready for the game on Saturday. You just concentrate on hitting the ball, and I’ll do my part to get us another win.”

Rob held up his hands, and Ryan gave him a double high-five to seal the deal. But as they walked into West Hill High together, bantering about baseball, he had to admit talking with Rob made him feel better. Telling someone about working matters out with Jordan turned it into reality, rather than wishful thinking.

“Hey, my RBI[1] is better than yours,” Rob insisted.

“Only because your brother does the stats,” Ryan teased back.

“Fuck you, Eric would never—“ Rob began, but he was cut off.

“Dude, you’re too easy. I know he’d never do that. Your RBI is due to your place in the line-up. Us guys in front do the hard work getting on base, and all you have to do is hit the fastball.”

Ryan almost pissed himself laughing as Rob sputtered furiously over this description and tried to come up with a good reply.

“Never mind, just make sure you don’t let us down on Saturday. My cousin said he’d drive up to watch the game.” Ryan finally felt more happy than nervous about the prospect, and it certainly shut Rob up about the subject of how Ryan felt. But of course the blond bastard had to get the last word, just before they parted.

“It was cool hanging out with you, Ryan. Only one question. Are you ready to join the GSA now?”

Fuck. Jordan might never forgive him if he said no.

 

[1] RBI: Runs Batted In – for those of you who’re not baseball savy. :boy:

I’m not doing a full Ryan spin-off, but this prompt was too tempting. Hope you liked it. Thank you to AC Benus for another smooth beta/edit job.
Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Tim, I really liked how you focused on a character other than Nelson, Eric, or Rob. :)

 

I'm so happy that Ryan and his cousin have worked things out. :D And right n ow, I am laughing that Ryan got the upper hand with Rob, you don't usually see Rob sputtering. :lol:

 

Thanks for a wonderful chapter Tim! :hug:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Ryan gets a POV, but we still haven’t had one from ‘Sir Traffic Cone’? (Who only got a mention this time around!) Do we need to start an International Jazz Day and form a picket line around Denmark? (Three or four people should be sufficient since it’s so tiny!) The carrot jpgs didn’t work, do I need to drag out the pitchfork again? (Or do you need more carrots?)

Link to comment

Nice chapter. You pulled in someone other than the primary characters. Expanding the potential for interactions and youthful hijinks [that means bein' naughty]. It was fun to see somebody get the upper hand on Rob. He's rarely at a loss for words. Only thing missing was some ginger spice.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

What a wonderful and unexpected POV. It was great to see Rob from the point of view of someone outside of his immediate circle. The one thing I learned was: no matter who he's dealing with, Rob will always be Rob. He's tenacious that way.
I'm really happy that Ryan and his cousin managed to clear the air. It would be terrible believing that a family member hated you for something you didn't mean to do. Rob was right, Ryan was just a kid at the time. How was he to know how bad the reaction would be? I think Ryan needs to forgive himself as much as he needed forgiveness from the cousin.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well, sure wasn't expecting this today...and definitely not from Ryan's view. Once more we see Rob's charm at work, and it makes me want to know him even more!
I laughed at Ryan's comment that Rob was all into doing emotional shit like a chick--that's very uncool for a teen, let alone a jock--and yet, Rob pulls it off. I really hope he's going to try dating a guy some time...sigh. :D
Tak for kapitlet, min ven!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well, that was lots of fun. Perhaps not a whole spinoff on Ryan, but it was good to see Rob be so good for him, and to him. Everyone needs friends like that.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

"... persistent bastard" :funny: ... that's our Rob. Nice bit of fun, Tim. I enjoyed this. Rob is like this knight in shining armor, but it's completely genuine. I would like him as my friend :yes: cheers, buddy... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/9/2017 at 7:46 PM, droughtquake said:

Ryan gets a POV, but we still haven’t had one from ‘Sir Traffic Cone’? (Who only got a mention this time around!) Do we need to start an International Jazz Day and form a picket line around Denmark? (Three or four people should be sufficient since it’s so tiny!) The carrot jpgs didn’t work, do I need to drag out the pitchfork again? (Or do you need more carrots?)

 

LOL, no, I'm good on carrots for now, drought. But you have a good point about Jazz. Now, that I've branched out on POVs, I should do a couple of chapters from Jasper's POV too. And perhaps I can do one with Trevor as well? But it all depends on getting some inspiring first line prompts.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nice to see things can work out, even when you make a huge (unintended) mistake. All is not lost and an honest apology can mend even the deepest of wounds. Still, it's annoying anyone should care enough about other people's love lives to make it an issue...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/9/2017 at 7:40 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

Tim, I really liked how you focused on a character other than Nelson, Eric, or Rob. :) 

 

I'm so happy that Ryan and his cousin have worked things out. :D And right n ow, I am laughing that Ryan got the upper hand with Rob, you don't usually see Rob sputtering. :lol: 

 

Thanks for a wonderful chapter Tim! :hug: 

 

Thanks, Drew, I'm glad you liked the unexpected POV. Ryan was always a guy with a quick wit and a cutting tongue, but it went overboard when his anger got worse.

But yeah, it was sort of fun to render Rob speechless. :rofl: 

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/10/2017 06:15 AM, dughlas said:

Nice chapter. You pulled in someone other than the primary characters. Expanding the potential for interactions and youthful hijinks [that means bein' naughty]. It was fun to see somebody get the upper hand on Rob. He's rarely at a loss for words. Only thing missing was some ginger spice.

Thanks, dugh, I relieved my readers enjoyed the shift of POV and Rob sputtering. :lol: I just gave you some ginger spice, but you hungry bird are insatiable, eh? Oh well, I've already promised drought a Jazz POV chapter, so I'll just spice it up a bit for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/10/2017 06:22 AM, LitLover said:

What a wonderful and unexpected POV. It was great to see Rob from the point of view of someone outside of his immediate circle. The one thing I learned was: no matter who he's dealing with, Rob will always be Rob. He's tenacious that way.

I'm really happy that Ryan and his cousin managed to clear the air. It would be terrible believing that a family member hated you for something you didn't mean to do. Rob was right, Ryan was just a kid at the time. How was he to know how bad the reaction would be? I think Ryan needs to forgive himself as much as he needed forgiveness from the cousin.

LOL, Lit, I guess tenacious is a nicer term than persistent bastard. :rofl: It was fun to show Rob from Ryan's POV, so I'm glad you liked it.

Ryan was almost as badly hurt from his mistake as his cousin and the boyfriend. He may scoff at Rob's crazy idea about talking to heal, but he needed it desperately. Mostly with his cousin, but also with his friends, in order to get some perspective, since the rest of his family played ostriches.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/9/2017 at 10:02 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Well, sure wasn't expecting this today...and definitely not from Ryan's view. Once more we see Rob's charm at work, and it makes me want to know him even more!

I laughed at Ryan's comment that Rob was all into doing emotional shit like a chick--that's very uncool for a teen, let alone a jock--and yet, Rob pulls it off. I really hope he's going to try dating a guy some time...sigh. :D 

Tak for kapitlet, min ven!

Selv tak, min ven. :hug: 

I wanted to try the prompt from two weeks ago, since no one else had at the time. And Ryan's reveal in an earlier chapter was sort of hanging loose. It was fun to do a completely different POV of Rob, but now I'm getting demands for Jasper's POV. Then it'll be Trevor, and the next thing I know, I'll have as many different POVs as you do in Jay & Miles. :facepalm: How do you keep it all straight? uhmm, I mean... :lol:

Rob seems to be able to pull off a lot of crazy stunts, including getting their parents to let Eric have a sleep-over with Nelson. I'm surprised no one has demanded to know how that went. :P

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/10/2017 01:38 PM, Parker Owens said:

Well, that was lots of fun. Perhaps not a whole spinoff on Ryan, but it was good to see Rob be so good for him, and to him. Everyone needs friends like that.

Thanks, Parker, glad you enjoyed it. You're right about everyone needing a friend or brother like Rob, even when they do annoy the shit out if us. :lol: I'm sure he'll be around for Ryan to talk to now and then - whether he wants to or not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/10/2017 at 6:41 AM, Headstall said:

"... persistent bastard" :funny: ... that's our Rob. Nice bit of fun, Tim. I enjoyed this. Rob is like this knight in shining armor, but it's completely genuine. I would like him as my friend :yes: cheers, buddy... Gary.... 

Thanks, Gary, I love how Rob the Knight strikes a cord with you, since most of your stories are filled with heroes and guys with big hearts. :heart:

I like having one story where I can indulge in some fun. :D 

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/10/2017 at 5:23 PM, Puppilull said:

Nice to see things can work out, even when you make a huge (unintended) mistake. All is not lost and an honest apology can mend even the deepest of wounds. Still, it's annoying anyone should care enough about other people's love lives to make it an issue...

You're absolutely right, my Swedish friend; it really makes me :pissed: too. Ryan's teasing should have evoked no more rebuke than if Jordan had a girlfriend visiting without permission. But now the cousins have both apologized for their mistakes, things'll hopefully get better. :yes: 

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..