Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,577 Words
  • 2,501 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy’s Terrible Prompt Stories - 42. Prompt 360 Why do I even bother? (III)

Another one for team Rob. :P
Back in the café, and later during lunch, Rob has his say.
A Rob POV chapter

“Why do I even bother? You’re determined to take anything I say the wrong way.”

Ryan looked half furious, half resigned, and Rob decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.

“OK then, explain to me why you made a fuss about my brother and his boyfriend joining us?”

“This get-together is for the baseball team and their supportive fans. All the non-players here are involved with helping during games or practices. We’ve never let general fans join, apart from girlfriends of the team members and helpers.”

Rob nodded, conceding the point.

“Eric and Nelson aren’t helpers and they’ve never joined us before. I bet they were only here to provoke us.”

Rob saw quite a few heads nodding at Ryan’s shrewd observation. The guy was clever, he had to hand him that.

“I don’t give a shit about them being a couple, as long as they keep their gay stuff out of sight, but I sure as hell ain’t gonna let you change the unspoken rules of the team.”

Rob waited a couple of seconds to see whether Ryan had anything to add, holding his gaze with arms folded across his chest. He felt the tension of the whole group rising, and just before it could break into shouting or people leaving, he launched his counter-attack.

“I agree about the unspoken rules, Ryan, and you’re brave for speaking your mind.” Rob left unspoken the ‘standing up to one of the popular jocks’ modifier to the word brave.

“But you’re wrong about Eric not being a helper as well as a fan. You know all those baseball statistics the coach hands out? The ones you enjoy showing off and comparing with everyone?”

Ryan nodded but shrugged, as he had no clue where Rob was headed. But the blond jock soon had him ripped out of his ignorance.

“My brother does part of the leg work. He’s got this computer program and he’s been doing my scores for years. When our coach realized that last year, he asked me about it. Eric volunteered to do the same for everybody, so I take home all the notes Stuart and Milly write during the games.”

Rob waved his hand at the two juniors sitting at the next table. The dark-haired girl blushed at having everyone’s attention on them, but her boyfriend hugged Milly closer by the arm around her shoulders and simply winked back at Rob.

Mitchell asked the obvious questions, “Why haven’t you told us this before now? Or invited Eric to join us?”

“Because he didn’t want anyone to know. He’s shy and hates getting attention. Being the only freshman in the group and not knowing anyone but me would make him feel awkward. Having Nelson here, as well as knowing Jazz and Carolyn, made Eric agree to join us, but he still didn’t want you to know about doing the scores. Only since Ryan insisted on making an issue out of it…”

Rob gave the second baseman another glare and was pleased to see him squirm. Suddenly he was the one getting disapproving looks for his behavior. Served him right.

“Anyway, I doubt Eric and Nelson will be joining us again, cuz they probably didn't feel very welcome, what with all their 'gay stuff' being scrutinized. But if you can all keep your mouths shut about the number job, I’m sure he’ll go on calculating the scores for the baseball team next year.”

There was a chorus of reassurances from everyone, and then the conversations moved on to something else. When no one was paying attention to them, Mitch leaned in once more.

“You’re not fooling me, Rob. I know you asked them here to make a point.”

“Yes, but which point?”

“Hmmm, at first I thought you wanted to pick another fight with Chris and Ryan. Or make them apologize to your brother before you apologized for hitting them.”

“Nah, Eric would be embarrassed, and he doesn’t know what they said. As far as I’m concerned, they’ve already learned their lesson, and I’m fairly sure they won’t make the same mistake again. Me neither for that matter.”

“So what was your point?”

“I’m sure you can work it out for yourself, Mitch. Eventually.” Rob smirked and stood up. The rest of the group was also getting ready to go over to the school. First bell would ring ten minutes from now, and most of them needed to drop by their lockers for books.

***

At lunch Rob stood by the doors and scanned the room until he spotted Eric. He and Nelson were sitting with Tony and Maria, and Rob nodded with satisfaction. For once Jasper wasn’t having lunch with his best friend; instead the redhead seemed to be deep in conversation with Mitchell. Most likely about pitching, but maybe not. Rob didn’t mind Mitch taking an interest in Eric and Nelson, the senior was calm and clever and his girlfriend was sweet if a bit giddy at times. She didn’t go to West Hill High but was in a private girls-only school a few miles away.

Rob kept looking around until he found the dark-haired guy he was searching for. Casually making his way between the tables he managed to get there before anyone else could grab the free chair opposite the other senior.

“Hi Trevor, OK if I sit here, or are you expecting someone to join you?”

Surprised dark orbs rose from the smartphone in front of him to meet Rob’s blue eyes, but the GSA president was as collected and polite as ever.

“Certainly, Rob. I’m always pleased to have lunch with another GSA member.”

His voice wasn’t loud, but somehow it cut through the buzz of conversations around them. Rob grinned; yeah Trevor was a damn smart guy. He knew Rob had joined the GSA to make a gesture, and that sitting with Trevor at lunch meant he wanted to spread the news as fast as possible.

“So who is manning the GSA office now?”

“The Vice and the secretary. They live too far away to do the morning stint, so they have the lunch-hour duty. They’re a couple and spend their breaks together anyway.”

Both of them ignored the furtive glances and the interest from people around them, pretending it was normal for them to have lunch together. Rob got out his bag of sandwiches; he had decided to bring his lunch in order not to waste time in the line.

“Cool. By the way, I’d like to sign up for monitoring duty at the Junior Prom. I didn’t want to say anything this morning.”

“Yes, I know what you mean. Thanks Rob, I’ll put your name on the list. Do you want to do the early or the late stint?”

“Hmm, I think I’d prefer the six-to-nine job, but I’ll hang around till the end. Or at least until Eric wants to leave.”

Trevor nodded and took a bite of his own sandwich. Both of them ignored the topic of Nelson as Eric’s boyfriend.

“Congratulations on your home run, by the way. I hear it was spectacular and clinched the game.”

“Thanks, I was lucky to have two bases loaded. You don’t watch our games?” Rob was fairly sure he’d never seen Trevor at any of their home games.

“Unfortunately, I usually work during the weekend, and home work takes up the rest of my time.”

“Where do you plan to apply?” Rob was fairly sure Trevor had good enough grades for college, perhaps even for a scholarship. His fellow senior confirmed the assumption, and they discussed the merits of various places for the next ten minutes.

Rob let the GSA president finish his food and water before he brought up the next topic. After all, he didn’t want the poor guy to choke or something.

“So, are you taking anyone to the Senior Prom?”

This time every single conversation within earshot faltered, and Rob wanted to smirk at the expectant hush and Trevor’s momentarily shocked face. He so did love to rattle confident or stubborn guys, and Trevor was a lot more fun to tease than Eric. Particularly, since he rallied beautifully.

“Well, I thought I was going stag. How about you, Rob? You going to ask anyone?”

“Touché, Trevor.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to rub it in, but you have to know your break-up with Melanie is…” He didn’t finish the sentence, but waved his hand to indicate the whole school. Rob rolled his eyes and nodded. The buzz of people talking, gossiping more likely, gradually resumed around them.

“Well, to be honest I haven’t decided yet. But anyone I asked to the Prom would be in the friend zone and not a date. I’m done with dating for now.”

“Even casual dates, no-strings-attached? Friends with benefits?”

Now it was Rob's turn to be glad he hadn’t just taken the sip of water. But he did his best to shrug carelessly.

“I’m not sure such a thing happens with chicks in high school. But in college perhaps?”

“I wouldn’t know. No experience with college – or girls.”

They stared at each other for a moment. Rob broke down laughing first, with Trevor following close behind and high-fiving the hand Rob held up.

“You’re cool, dude. We should get together more. And let’s make sure both the Junior and Senior Prom is a good experience for everyone; gay, bi or straight.”

“Sure, Rob. My pleasure.”

Sorry about the long wait, but I hope Rob made up for it.
Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Rob is so well spoken ... nearly destroyed my fantasies with him ;-).
Nearly.

 

Thank you for digging him out from wherever you had buried him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Seems to me Rob is still on his LGBT crusaders' mission...but, does that overall campaign somehow include Trevor in his plans...? Hmmmmmm, interesting little ending, Tim.
The coffee shop scene was pretty brilliant. I guess passive-aggressive bigotry got a little slap across the mouth, hehe. Good on you (and Rob!)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was sure Rob was going to ask Trevor to the prom. I still think that's a strong possibility particularly after the friends only statement. He intends to make a point/statement before he graduates and has a plan. He's come so very far from who it seemed when we first met him.
Excellent chapter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/12/2016 07:25 AM, JohnAR said:

Rob is so well spoken ... nearly destroyed my fantasies with him ;-).

Nearly.

 

Thank you for digging him out from wherever you had buried him.

You're welcome, JAR. ;)

Don't forget, Rob had plenty of time to plan what he would say to Trevor, who on the other hand took everything in his stride and played the game too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/12/2016 07:29 AM, AC Benus said:

Seems to me Rob is still on his LGBT crusaders' mission...but, does that overall campaign somehow include Trevor in his plans...? Hmmmmmm, interesting little ending, Tim.

The coffee shop scene was pretty brilliant. I guess passive-aggressive bigotry got a little slap across the mouth, hehe. Good on you (and Rob!)

You can pat your own back too, my friend, since you helped out with both the coffee shop and the ending. :thankyou:

Oh yes, Rob's on a mission, and since Eric and Nelson won't be part of it anymore (as per their deal), Rob has to find another play fellow. Is Trevor game for this? We'll see. Maybe. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yay!!! :D

 

I really loved how Rob stood up for Eric and Nelson at the coffee shop! The one moment that sticking in my mind was that ingenious move that Rob made by asking Trevor who his prom date is in public. That certainly got the attention of everyone, hehe. I will look forward to how Rob continues to drive home a point against bigotry. :)

 

Thank you for another great chapter Tim! :hug:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/12/2016 07:33 AM, dughlas said:

I was sure Rob was going to ask Trevor to the prom. I still think that's a strong possibility particularly after the friends only statement. He intends to make a point/statement before he graduates and has a plan. He's come so very far from who it seemed when we first met him.

Excellent chapter.

Oh dugh, I'm so pleased you read and reviewed. :hug:

I think Trevor may have had the same feeling about Rob and the Prom possibility. Or they could go with other stag guys in a group. Time will tell, or is this where I dig out the :X ?

Yes, Rob has become the rising star of the story somehow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/12/2016 07:44 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

Yay!!! :D

 

I really loved how Rob stood up for Eric and Nelson at the coffee shop! The one moment that sticking in my mind was that ingenious move that Rob made by asking Trevor who his prom date is in public. That certainly got the attention of everyone, hehe. I will look forward to how Rob continues to drive home a point against bigotry. :)

 

Thank you for another great chapter Tim! :hug:

My pleasure, Drew. :lol:

Rob loves getting attention as well as going all out to reach his goal. Let's hope I can come up with a good plan on his behalf. :unsure:

Glad you liked the coffee shop scene too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I loved the coffee house scene. Rob seems to have a very strong sense of right and wrong and combines that with strong protective instincts where his brother is concerned. I pity any fool who actually verbally or physically 'bash' Eric. Between Rob and Nelson there wouldn't be enough of the body left to identify ;)
I wonder if Rob will go stag with Trevor to prom. I could see it... Rob picking him up, or including him with Rob, Eric, Nelson, Jasper and the gang. Regardless if they went as each others 'date' or not they would get a lot of tongues wagging. The bonus is that Rob know that Trevor likes a statement as much as he does so going 'together' would make a point without leading Trevor on.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/12/2016 11:16 AM, LitLover said:

I loved the coffee house scene. Rob seems to have a very strong sense of right and wrong and combines that with strong protective instincts where his brother is concerned. I pity any fool who actually verbally or physically 'bash' Eric. Between Rob and Nelson there wouldn't be enough of the body left to identify ;)

I wonder if Rob will go stag with Trevor to prom. I could see it... Rob picking him up, or including him with Rob, Eric, Nelson, Jasper and the gang. Regardless if they went as each others 'date' or not they would get a lot of tongues wagging. The bonus is that Rob know that Trevor likes a statement as much as he does so going 'together' would make a point without leading Trevor on.

Thanks Lit, you have good instincts regarding Rob and his MO. And of course in this case he gets to do both.

Same for your idea about Trevor, although remember Nelson and Jasper are juniors, so they won't go to the Senior prom. But I'm sure Rob could find a few other single friends, and perhaps Trevor could too. Wagging tongues, oh yeah, Rob wouldn't mind at all. :P:X:rofl: as I said he likes the attention. :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

They were two wonderful scenes, Tim. The coffee shop scene was masterful on Rob's part, and the cafeteria scene was on both their parts. I like Trevor, and I can see the possibilities for something that furthers the cause of teaching bigots a lesson. or at least making them think. I don't know what you have planned, but I think Rob's motivation is the safety and security of his brother once he leaves for college. I think the baseball team might be more inclined to watch out for 'one of their own' without Eric even realizing it... well done, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/13/2016 03:13 PM, Headstall said:

They were two wonderful scenes, Tim. The coffee shop scene was masterful on Rob's part, and the cafeteria scene was on both their parts. I like Trevor, and I can see the possibilities for something that furthers the cause of teaching bigots a lesson. or at least making them think. I don't know what you have planned, but I think Rob's motivation is the safety and security of his brother once he leaves for college. I think the baseball team might be more inclined to watch out for 'one of their own' without Eric even realizing it... well done, my friend... cheers... Gary...

Thanks Gary, I'm glad you approve. As to what Rob has planned, well I'm waiting for him to tell me himself, ;) You now how it is with characters talking in your head, lol.

I think your take on his motivation is perfectly credible. And Jazz may remind the baseball team if they forget. Hopefully, by the time he and Nelson leaves for college, Eric will have lots of friends to look out for him, and most of the bigotry wil be weeded out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/14/2016 06:36 PM, Suvitar said:

Oh, I really like Rob :yes: He's such a wonderful brother and overall great person B)

Welcome back, and if you haven't gotten the Team Rob T-shirt already, please proceed to the story discussion forum for one. :lol:

I'm glad you liked this chapter, I had such fun writing it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Just found out this story was updated...it's harder to find things now without a current link, so I had to consult my followed content to see what was added to since Christmas.
Dang, I was so hoping Rob was going to ask Trevor to the prom. :)
On to the next one!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


1

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 4/12/2016 at 11:58 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Just found out this story was updated...it's harder to find things now without a current link, so I had to consult my followed content to see what was added to since Christmas.

Dang, I was so hoping Rob was going to ask Trevor to the prom. :)

On to the next one!

Hi CG, glad you've found your way back to Rob and Co, hope you enjoy the added chapters, even if Rob didn't invite Trevor to the Prom. (Yet? :unsure::lol: )

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/31/2017 07:12 AM, droughtquake said:

I don’t know, it certainly sounded like Rob was hinting that he’d like to take Trevor to the Prom… Trob!!! ;-)

Yes I agree, it did. Maybe Rob got cold feet? Or perhaps he simply laid the groundwork for a later invitation? Even if they went as friends only (with or without benefits :P ) it would be a strong statement, right?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Rob kept looking around until he found the dark-haired guy he was searching for. Casually making his way between the tables he managed to get there before anyone else could grab the free chair opposite the other senior.
“Hi Trevor, OK if I sit here, or are you expecting someone to join you?”

 

- I secretly ship these two in my mind, yep. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/19/2017 at 6:28 AM, Thirdly said:

 

- I secretly ship these two in my mind, yep. 

 

I think you're not the only reader to do so. :wub: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..