Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,284 Words
  • 3,320 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy’s Terrible Prompt Stories - 4. Prompt 323 Can I talk to you? (I)

em>After the family, it's time to tell your best friends.
An Eric POV chapter

“Can I talk to you?”

Eric caught up to his best friends Tony and Maria, just as they were leaving school. They turned and smiled at him. Maria let go of her boyfriend’s arm to greet him with her customary hug and quick peck on the cheek.

“Of course, Eric. Where do you want to go?”

“How about my place? I think there’s fresh chocolate cake.”

Tony immediately turned round and started for his car. He was a huge fan of chocolate cake, which was why Eric had asked his mom to make one. She knew he was going to come out to his friends today.

His parents had absorbed the sudden announcement at the dinner table last night in a graceful and supportive manner, which was no surprise. Eric knew they were tolerant and liberal-minded and would love him and his brother no matter what. They cared about education and good manners and being kind to others, and they expected their sons to work hard. But they also wanted them to be happy and enjoy life, and they trusted Rob and Eric to be sensible.

Originally he had meant to tell his best friends on the way to West Hill High School this morning. Maria shared most of his classes, and since Tony usually picked her up, Eric often walked ten houses down the road and got a lift. The alternative was going with Rob and enduring the bright chatter of his brother’s girlfriend, since Rob collected Melanie on the way to school most days. Luckily, Eric’s childhood friend Maria was not a morning person either, and Tony knew better than to disturb their too-early-in-the-day mood, unless it was important.

However, Maria had texted him last night, saying she was worried about the English test today, so Eric decided not to distract her. Anyway, it was probably better to have time to talk and relax afterwards, even if he expected them to be cool about him coming out. They were clever and caring and patient about his various quirks – which Maria insisted were endearing personality traits.

She probably suspected his disinterest in girls, but while she might ask teasing questions, she never pried if he really refused to answer. A ‘one-in-a-million’ girl, as Tony called her.

When they arrived, Eric led Tony and Maria via the kitchen to his room. They picked up chocolate cake, OJ, and some tea for Maria. The couple sat together on cushions leaning on the side of his bed, while Eric chose the window seat. Tony made sure to have the plate of cake on the floor next to him, while Maria’s mug of tea and his glass was safe on the bedside table.

“So, what did you want to talk about, Eric?” Maria asked.

Tony grinned and helped himself to the largest piece of cake. “Yeah, it must be pretty important, if you asked your mom to bake this death-by-chocolate favorite.”

Eric had already decided it was best to be blunt. “I thought it was time I told you I’m gay. I came out to Rob and my parents yesterday, so of course you guys are next.”

Maria squealed, jumped up and hugged him. Tony was clearly satisfied when Eric confirmed they were the only ones apart from his family that he had confided in. He conveniently omitted the part about Rob outing him to Nelson. This would only lead to prying questions about his interest in the handsome junior.

While Eric was willing to trust Tony and Maria with one of his long-kept secrets, and knew they wouldn’t gossip about it, the matter of his crush on his fellow drama club member was private and sensitive. Luckily the couple wasn’t part of the drama crowd. He did not want Maria’s observant eyes following him while he worked up the nerve to ask Nelson out.

Assuming Nelson didn’t make the first move.

Rob had tried to convince his brother that the beautiful brown eyes of the dark-haired martial arts prodigy had been glued to his face during the last half of the Christmas play. He swore that Nelson had admitted liking Eric and the only thing keeping him away was the fact that the freshman wasn’t out. Perhaps, but Eric wasn’t placing any bets on it. He knew Nelson was reserved and unassuming, in spite of having a certain status for being unabashedly out.

“So what made you decide to tell us now?” Tony asked around big mouthfuls of chocolate cake. This matter was interesting enough to make Maria sit down on the bed and stare at her friend.

“Yes, do tell, Eric. Why now? You never do anything important rashly, or without a reason. Do you have a boyfriend?”

The blond boy shook his head and tried to act casual. “Rob has been poking at me for a few weeks, and he finally made me confirm it yesterday. But I’ve thought about it for a while. Some things might be easier, if I come out. Such as not having girls flirting and harassing me for dates.”

Maria smirked, “Instead now you will have boys doing the same. Is there anyone you are interested in?”

Oh no. Eric had a feeling where this was going if she kept asking those questions. He decided to try and divert her attention.

“I’m not really interested in flirting. And I’m not going to announce this in school, either. I may tell one or two people in the drama club, but that’s it. Please don’t make an effort to spread the news, but if someone asks you, you can tell the truth. Has anyone hinted about the possibility?”

Maria shook her head. “No, not really. Oh, there is always speculation when a good-looking guy like you doesn’t date or go after girls. But according to Cassie, Rob didn’t either when he was a freshman. He still ended up going out with Melanie, so people just assume you haven’t found anyone you like yet.”

Tony nodded. His older sister Cassie was in Rob’s class, and in fact both the blond Perry brothers were his friends. But since he had started dating Maria, who had been Eric’s friend since pre-school, he had spent more time with the younger sibling.

“I haven’t heard any rumors either. However, no one would dare make rude comments about you, because they know Rob would beat their ass. Well, unless Nelson got to them first. That guy is such a contradiction. He’s quiet most of the time, but if anyone says something bigoted, he lays into them immediately. And even the biggest bullies are scared of him, since he wiped the floor with that Clayton guy.”

Eric tried to pretend only a normal interest in Tony’s words, and he was considering asking for details about the Clayton story, although he had heard the tale from his fellow drama club members. But he wanted to know what his friend thought of the guy Eric was in love with.

However, Maria decided to interrupt. “Nelson, isn’t he that handsome dark-haired junior who usually hangs out with Carolyn’s boyfriend? The redheaded guy called Jasper, the one who is on the junior baseball team?”

Trust Maria to keep track of things like that. But since she was on the cheer-leading squad with Carolyn and Melanie, maybe it was only natural.

Eric wanted to curse when Rob chose that exact moment to stick his head in the open door.

“Hi, Maria, guys. What are you doing?”

Of course, Maria had to say, “Talking about a cute junior named Nelson.”

Rob grinned at his brother, and Eric had no chance to stop him.

“Awesome. Did you ask him out yet?”

As always my gratitude to AC for his efforts in improving my stories and to comicfan for inspiring first liner prompts.
Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/26/2014 07:12 AM, Irritable1 said:
ROB! That kid needs to grow some tact....
Or else Eric needs to be more specific, lol. He did tell Rob he would come out to Tony and Maria today, but omitted the bit about keeping his crush on Nelson a secret.
Link to comment

Oh come on Irri! Rob just helped him cut through about three weeks worth of roundabout conversations LOL!

Nice going Timothy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/26/2014 07:37 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Oh come on Irri! Rob just helped him cut through about three weeks worth of roundabout conversations LOL!

Nice going Timothy!

Thanks Carlos. I guess you're right, lol.

The funniest thing was that Irri shouted almost exactly what Eric did: "ROB! Why can't you keep your mouth shut!"

Link to comment

Excellent as usual Tim! In a way I feel sorry for Eric, but Carlos has a good point. :)

 

Thank the gods I was blessed with older sisters, who all moved out before I hit high school!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/26/2014 08:32 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Excellent as usual Tim! In a way I feel sorry for Eric, but Carlos has a good point. :)

 

Thank the gods I was blessed with older sisters, who all moved out before I hit high school!!

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

Yes, Carlos does have a way of cutting straight to the heart of the matter. And Maria was already on the right track, so Eric didn't stand a chance, lol.

Link to comment

HaHa. Ya gotta luv Rob. He is like an adorable bull in a china shop. I think Eric needs his brother to push him so he doesn't let fear and trepidation stop him from letting his life move forward. It is a huge thing that Eric admits to himself that he in love with Nelson. This isn't just a crush so there is a lot at stake here and while Eric wants to take baby steps, that may not be what's needed here with Nelson being unabashedly out. Rob is the perfect catalyst for this story Tim, as you make it all work beautifully. I am totally captivated by the story and the characters and the upcoming date. Well done as always...Cheers...Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment

One thing (among many) that I really like in this piece is how casually Eric already considers that he loves Nelson. That seems right to me, that seems the way kids feel and are able to recognize their emotions. I think that as we grow we start to become hurt and cautious, and many times begin to doubt our own hearts. Not so for Eric, not so for Nelson. I hope all goes well, and I have to agree – despite his rough introduction – Rob is a real charmer. He could have saved the boys a ton of time if they simply listened to him (like I suggested for chapter 1!), and gone off to chat the instant Rob spilled the beans. Oh well, drama drama drama, it keeps all us reading, lol!

 

Now, I can't wait to see what little ole Nelson is up to.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/26/2014 10:16 AM, Headstall said:
HaHa. Ya gotta luv Rob. He is like an adorable bull in a china shop. I think Eric needs his brother to push him so he doesn't let fear and trepidation stop him from letting his life move forward. It is a huge thing that Eric admits to himself that he in love with Nelson. This isn't just a crush so there is a lot at stake here and while Eric wants to take baby steps, that may not be what's needed here with Nelson being unabashedly out. Rob is the perfect catalyst for this story Tim, as you make it all work beautifully. I am totally captivated by the story and the characters and the upcoming date. Well done as always...Cheers...Gary
It's so sweet the way you all like Rob. I even got a disappointed PM because Rob didn't have a bigger role this time, lol.

You have some good points, Gary, and Eric needs to put himself out there to make a bid for Nelson. At least he knows he has several people wishing him luck.

Link to comment
On 10/26/2014 11:25 AM, AC Benus said:
One thing (among many) that I really like in this piece is how casually Eric already considers that he loves Nelson. That seems right to me, that seems the way kids feel and are able to recognize their emotions. I think that as we grow we start to become hurt and cautious, and many times begin to doubt our own hearts. Not so for Eric, not so for Nelson. I hope all goes well, and I have to agree – despite his rough introduction – Rob is a real charmer. He could have saved the boys a ton of time if they simply listened to him (like I suggested for chapter 1!), and gone off to chat the instant Rob spilled the beans. Oh well, drama drama drama, it keeps all us reading, lol!

 

Now, I can't wait to see what little ole Nelson is up to.

Well, since both Eric and Nelson are in the drama club what else do you expect? LOL

and you know what Nelson is up to, you bad boy, since the next prompt is already written and vetted by you.

Link to comment

I'm group Rob. Everyone needs a Rob every now and then to get things going, although we would never say that out loud. All this tip-toeing around...jeez.

Okay, so this went well. What's next?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/26/2014 09:20 PM, aditus said:
I'm group Rob. Everyone needs a Rob every now and then to get things going, although we would never say that out loud. All this tip-toeing around...jeez.

Okay, so this went well. What's next?

Hmm I can see I'll have to do a Rob chapter soon. I'll have to go looking for an appropriate prompt.

The next chapter is ready to post, and the one after that just hit AC's mail box. I think you'll like both of them.

Link to comment

Seems Rob has a way of crashing Eric's plans! Quite funny really, except to Eric! Though sounds like Maria will be helping him make a date with Nelson. Maybe they'll go on a double date.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/27/2014 12:19 AM, Jaro_423 said:
Seems Rob has a way of crashing Eric's plans! Quite funny really, except to Eric! Though sounds like Maria will be helping him make a date with Nelson. Maybe they'll go on a double date.
The best laid plans of mice and men, eh?

I think Eric would very much like NOT to have anyone 'helping' him invite Nelson out. He's had all the help he can stand for now. The only question is how he'll do it - and whether Nelson beats him to it.

Link to comment

Brother Rob needs to learn to think before speaking, but he is kind of adorable.

Chocolate cake always makes things better :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/03/2014 06:16 AM, Suvitar said:
Brother Rob needs to learn to think before speaking, but he is kind of adorable.

Chocolate cake always makes things better :P

I'm a great fan of chocolate cake too. :)

You'll have to join Team Rob over at the forum.

Link to comment

Ha Rob strikes again! So much for Eric keeping his crush on Nelson a secret! Maybe Eric needs that push though?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/02/2015 12:40 PM, EagleIsaac said:
Ha Rob strikes again! So much for Eric keeping his crush on Nelson a secret! Maybe Eric needs that push though?
Yes he probably did, and I bet Maria agrees. She would not be pleased if Eric tried to keep more secrets, lol.
Link to comment

Hmmm, does Rob need a shovel??? He could either use it to pry his foot out of his mouth, or to dig himself out of the hole he keeps getting into. :P
Great chapter as always :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/23/2015 08:44 PM, Caz Pedroso said:

Hmmm, does Rob need a shovel??? He could either use it to pry his foot out of his mouth, or to dig himself out of the hole he keeps getting into. :P

Great chapter as always :)

LOL, I'm sure Rob would use a shovel to dig traps for others to fall into. But we sort-of can't help like him even so, right?

Link to comment

And even the biggest bullies are scared of him, since he wiped the floor with that Clayton guy.

 

- Woo! Go Nelson.

 

Of course, Maria had to say, “Talking about a cute junior named Nelson.”

 

Rob grinned at his brother, and Eric had no chance to stop him.

 

“Awesome. Did you ask him out yet?”

 

- LMAO! Gotta love siblings. I'm enjoying this story way too much, ha ha.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/11/2017 09:36 AM, Thirdly said:

And even the biggest bullies are scared of him, since he wiped the floor with that Clayton guy.

 

- Woo! Go Nelson.

 

Of course, Maria had to say, “Talking about a cute junior named Nelson.”

 

Rob grinned at his brother, and Eric had no chance to stop him.

 

“Awesome. Did you ask him out yet?”

 

- LMAO! Gotta love siblings. I'm enjoying this story way too much, ha ha.

Thank you - I'm enjoying your reviews. :D It's fun to revisit old chapters, and the end of this one is a favorite :facepalm: moment.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..