Jump to content
    Caz Pedroso
  • Author
  • 759 Words
  • 3,754 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Here Kitty, Kitty - 16. Chapter 7.3

“When can we go home?” “I want to go back to grandma’s house.” “I’m tired.”

The kits had been wonderful, but the constant traveling was wearing on all of them and the kits most of all. Simon felt Kitryn tense and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Deep breath,” he muttered and received a tight smile.

Meg had moved to walk with the kits and she could be heard explaining once again why they couldn’t return to her house.

Simon looked at the sky. “We need to find shelter soon.” Kitryn nodded and they started checking the sides of the path looking for anything that may indicate a way to head. They had decided early on to only travel at night. Not only would it be more convenient than Kitryn having to carry Simon, it also made it harder for the hunters to track them. Meg had used strong smelling flowers to cover their scent and Kitryn used branches as brooms to dust away their tracks.

They found shelter and it wasn’t long before Simon felt the now familiar lethargy falling over him. “We need to make a better plan," he managed to say to Kitryn before he fell into unconsciousness.

***

Kitryn was standing watch when he heard footsteps approaching. He turned to see Simon and grinned.

“Awake again,” he called softly by way of greeting.

Simon came up beside him. “Yep, so starts another night in the life of the differently alive.”

Kitryn shook his head. It had taken a long while for he and Meg to convince Simon he wasn’t an undead thing now. Vampires were a funny species. The most common perception was that a vampire drained all the blood from a human and replaced it with their own. Well, that was impossible. The vampire would have to drain themselves entirely to replace their intended turnee’s blood. Thus draining themselves and therefore killing themselves. No, all a vampire did was drain their intended until they were unconscious and then give them the equivalent of a cupful of vampire blood. Then it was just a case of waiting and seeing if the turning took. The new vampire would wake up hungry and confused. The sire would then be responsible for their new child until the young one had full control. If Kitryn ever found out who had turned Simon and left him, the vampire would regret his actions.

“So,” Simon said as he sat on the ground near Kitryn’s watch post. “Any ideas on a plan? We can’t just keep running with no direction in mind.”

Kitryn looked up at the stars. “Meg reminded me of a few nearby shifter groups. There’s a wolf pack about two nights journey to the north and there’s a bear den three night’s journey to the southwest.”

“Which do you think would be the more welcoming?”

“Well, the wolves are usually a rather standoffish group. And some packs have a kill first, ask questions—such as ‘Who are you?’ and ‘Why are you here?’—later. The bears are more welcoming but they are also further away and that increases our chances of getting caught.”

Simon seemed to be thinking. “Who is our best defense against the hunters if we reach them?”

“The bears,” Kitryn instantly replied. “The bear's den is in a cave and the hunters can’t approach without being seen and the bears can pick them off before they get anywhere near us or the kits.”

“Then I think the bears are our best bet. If you're able to take the extra work, we can keep moving part of the day as well and you can carry me. But only if it doesn’t put any of us in danger.”

Kitryn nodded. “We’ll rest here for tonight and start out at noon tomorrow. I’ll carry you until you wake up and then we can stop for food and rest before carrying on through the night. That way we’ll have three adults to the three kits and we can carry them if or when they get tired.”

Kitryn grinned as Simon nodded and let his head fall against Kitryn’s leg. I felt good to have a plan, that meant they wouldn’t be moving aimlessly anymore and, in a few days, they would hopefully have some protection.

Kitryn allowed himself to slide down the tree he was watching from until he and Simon were leaning on each other. Simon’s vamp senses would warn them if anyone tried approaching. Meanwhile, it was good to just relax and look at the stars.

Prompt Used -  None, it was a free week :)

As always thank you to everyone who reads/reacts/comments on my story. 4716.gif

Thank you of course to Timothy as well for all his corrections. 6607.gif

Copyright © 2017 Caz Pedroso; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I really want them to find a safe haven.  All of the running and hiding can't be good for any of them. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
12 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter, I hope they find safety from the hunters soon.

 

I think they are going to have to find some allies first and then find out how the hunters are finding them and why the hunters are so intent on getting them in particular. 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting :hug: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, LadyDe said:

I really want them to find a safe haven.  All of the running and hiding can't be good for any of them. 

 

Maybe the bears will be able to give them a chance to rest and regroup. Then they can make more permanent plans. 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting :hug: 

Edited by Caz Pedroso
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Oh. A cave full of bears. :D  Seriously, it sounds like the best plan, although I do know some wolves who would be welcoming. :P  I like the ending, where Simon and Kitryn lean on each other as they look at the stars. Sometimes we just need to take a breath and enjoy those moments. Nice one, Caz... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Oh. A cave full of bears. :D  Seriously, it sounds like the best plan, although I do know some wolves who would be welcoming. :P  I like the ending, where Simon and Kitryn lean on each other as they look at the stars. Sometimes we just need to take a breath and enjoy those moments. Nice one, Caz... cheers... Gary....

 

Hopefully, the bears will protect them and they can start getting some answers. At least may find some respite and maybe some new allies. 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting, Gary :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Caz, I am really liking this story.  I really hope they can find both allies and safety.  It will be interesting to see how the story unfolds. You have left many clues that there is something more sinister afoot.  I really, really want Kitryn to find the vamp that turned Simon and make good on his thoughts........  Great writing Caz.  Keep it up :) .

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A trial on them all to keep moving like that. Especially with Simon falling asleep unconditionally... I'm curious to meet those bears. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 4/18/2018 at 4:32 PM, wenmale64 said:

Caz, I am really liking this story.  I really hope they can find both allies and safety.  It will be interesting to see how the story unfolds. You have left many clues that there is something more sinister afoot.  I really, really want Kitryn to find the vamp that turned Simon and make good on his thoughts........  Great writing Caz.  Keep it up :) .

 

I think they will find some more allies soon. But, as for safety? I think that will be longer in coming. This story is unfolding as i write it so i'm learning as you all do. 

 

As for the bad vamp? Well, Kitryn may be able to track him down at some point. Who knows maybe he has something to do with things? We'll find out together :) 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting:hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Puppilull said:

A trial on them all to keep moving like that. Especially with Simon falling asleep unconditionally... I'm curious to meet those bears. 

 

I'm cautiously optimistic about the bears they are heading for. At the moment they seem to have thrown the hunters off their trail, here's hoping :) 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting. :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am glad that they are taking time to strategize and seek out allies.  Keep up the great writing.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..