Authors, what was your favorite Comment or Review?

Well, I'll start and this was right after I finished Book 1 of 0's and 1's:

I shared this with @Kitt as well, because she deserves part of the praise. Writing a story is one part writer and one part editor/beta reader. Most of you know my grammar and typos are atrocious, but my ideas are interesting and thought provoking with grounded reality to what is "possible" within the realm of conspiracies and human nature.

Sent: Friday, September 9, 2016 9:15 PM
To: xxx
Subject: "Zeros and Ones"

Dear WL,

I just discovered your story "Zeros and Ones".  What a great story line!  I had a hard time putting it aside to get other things (like eating) attended to.

I also want to commend you and/or your proofreaders.  I'm a picky reader and my eye/brain often spot incorrect words (typos that happen to get by the spellchecker) or grammatical errors.  I have served as a proofreader for some other stories.  I saw practically no errors in your story.

I liked the philosophical debates between the characters, and the different personalities and approaches they each contribute.

Jesse seems a bit unbelievable as a 12 year old, but I liked him anyhow.  Hope he continues to have a role in Book 2.

Is Book 2 available yet?  Maybe on a different site?  Bad enough to leave us hanging at the end of Book 1 -- sure hope the story hasn't ended there.

One more question:  This is just fiction, isn't it?  It's an awfully scary, but believable plot.  You don't actually have any knowledge of a C.I.S.S. type group, do you?

Stan

--------------------------

This was hands down, when I knew I had created an interesting story and needed to keep going into book 2.

• Like 3

So Timmy, was it one of the ones where I tell you that I want two of your apparently straight character to fall in love with each other? Or when I suggest that someone should send you a couple cases of mouthwash-flavored ice cream? Or do you prefer when I call you ‘Denny’ (after Brother Denmark in SatW)? I know, the one where you responded by saying we’re both in danger of becoming ‘Eric.’  ;–)

45 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I do appreciate your clever poking, DQ, but teasing will never be a favorite of mine. ;) 

Well now that you’ve Commented, many more people will check out the Topic because they’ll see your name (the goal of the poking). I never expected that any of my Comments would ever be mentioned by any author. There are too many others who are much more insightful than I could ever be. I think unusual and idiosyncratic are the most charitable descriptions possible for my musings.  ;–)

17 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I’m sorry I misunderstood your first post. I guess I was expecting more what @Dodger and @Mikiesboy wrote and your more succinct response threw me. But you posted exactly what I asked for.

I try to say as much as possible with as few words as possible. That also applies to my writing. If you ever read anything of mine, you'll notice my writing is a bit more stark and subdued than others.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I try to say as much as possible with as few words as possible. That also applies to my writing. If you ever read anything of mine, you'll notice my writing is a bit more stark and subdued than others.

I should get into your writing.

I am the opposite, I try to say as much as possible with more technical knowledge than can fit into a chapter.  :lmao: :D

I wonder what drives writing styles? Are authors attracted to a genre or genre attracts an author?

Edited by W_L
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Thirdly said:

By this point I pretty much kidnapped @Hellsheild and poked at the previously mentioned mentors about miscellaneous opinions and tips.

All I'll say about this is that you can't kidnap the willing. I saw the free candy sign on the van and hopped in willingly. But if a ransom appears you can tie me up for appearance...I may like it.

• Haha 5
4 hours ago, W_L said:

I should get into your writing.

I am the opposite, I try to say as much as possible with more technical knowledge than can fit into a chapter.  :lmao: :D

I wonder what drives writing styles? Are authors attracted to a genre or genre attracts an author?

My editor has been a huge influence. One tiny example. How many times have we read 'so and so nodded their agreement'? Not in my writing. Nodding signifies agreement so the last two words are not needed. You'll find dozens of similar examples in my stories.

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, MacGreg said:

A long, long time ago, someone emailed me this regarding a story posted elsewhere:

I don't normally email the authors of stories, but I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your writing.  Most of the stories on ____ tend to be poorly-written and unrealistic, but this story actually had good grammar and a character who acted in a realistic manner (so far).  You kept up with Hemingway's Iceberg Principle, which I idolize, and for that I say, hurrah! Props to you, sir..."

It was the first "review" on a published piece of writing that I'd ever received, and being compared to Hemingway was hella humbling and motivating.

More recently, I received a comment from a reader about a chapter in my Dissonance story here on GA. I've received a ton of great comments on this story from readers along the way, and I appreciate every single one of them, but this comment got me right in the gut, and I always remember it:

Got to say I hate this chapter.

And I've got to explain that statement. Travis did to his abuser what I wanted, and to some degree still do, to do to my abuser.

It's taken me three reads to read and take in each word. The first couple of times there were sentences and paragraphs that I just glanced over. I couldn't deal with it.

Mac, don't apologise for writing so well.

Years ago an English teacher told a class I was in, "A story should make you cry, shout and scream, and if it doesn't then it has failed to tell it's story honestly."

Keep telling your story honestly.

I know from what I and several other people I know have experienced, that what you have written happens, no matter how much we try to ignore and dismiss it.

We all want our lives and the lives of our friends and loved ones to be all happy happy joy joy, but the reality is it's rarely the case. We have troubles, joys, love and laughter, grief and agony. You've just written what happens. Keep doing that.

Love you and what you write.

Makes writing worth it.

I love that! :wub:

That reminds me of something, my English teacher came into our literature class (we could do both as seniors in high school) and we had prepared questions to ask about books we had to read throughout high school. It was on the topic of critically evaluating books we studied.

Our questions were meant to be part of a critical review for stories, we had read. It's kind of like high school kids getting our reviews in for books we had to suffer.

I had one question in particular:

"Is there merit reading "Goodbye Mr. Chips" versus any of the thousands of other stories with similar settings and plots as students?"

My Literature teacher hated "Mr. Chips" and my English teacher loved it, so it set them off on a debate, on whether the story is for students or self-aggrandizement for teachers, who teach old English literature. No one else had anywhere near the fireworks my question sparked between those 2, I got an A from both of them, because my question and the critical review later not only challenged a reader's interpretation of an author, but also the interpretation itself from established source.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I appreciate all comments/feedback from readers, but I have to say I particularly looked forward to @CassieQ's comments on The Hollow Hills.  She never held back in regards to one character in particular, and I loved how the story invoked such strong emotion.  I also appreciate @TimothyM''s support and lovely comments about The Old Ways.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3