Jump to content
    Doug Spencer
  • Author
  • 12,504 Words
  • 2,163 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

DJ - 14. Chapter 14

Note: All sexually involved characters in this story are Eighteen years of age or older. There may be description of gay sex in this chapter.

In Chapter 14
DJ’s new manager is working DJ’s ass off
DJ and Jamie receive their final grades
Randy and Daryl rent the house
Christmas Eve, Celebrating Jamie’s 20th Birthday
Looks like a White Christmas is in store


Sunday morning, December 10th DJ and Jamie were up quite early because Randy had asked DJ to come in early, at noon, and work through 9:00 that night. Randy wanted DJ there to help handle the after church crowd that always comes in every Sunday after church lets out. Jamie was also going in earlier than usual, to handle a group in the party room from 2:00 PM until ? and he would be working until close at 9:00 PM.

Jamie had told Karen and Carl that likely, over the winters break, that he and DJ would probably spend more nights at DJ’s. His home is closer the where both boys work, although Jamie’s home is closer to the college campus, and they like to leave from there on school days.

While Jamie sipped his juice, and DJ had his first cup of coffee, Jamie took two sheets of notepaper, and wrote down their schedules of availability for after Jan 15th.

Work availability:

WF after 2:00 PM,
Thur after 6:00 PM
Tues, Sat and Sun anytime.
Off Mondays

“DJ,” Jamie said, “here is a schedule we can give our bosses so they know when we’re available to work, after college resumes.”

DJ, looking at the note, “Our classes let out earlier than that.”

“But we have to have time for some lunch, and to change and travel. And on Thursday, time for a shower and to eat, I can grab something to eat at work, but you don’t have that option.”

“I guess you’re right, baby, I’ll give this to Randy, shall we get a shower?” The two boys headed into the bathroom.

They were soaping each other up and Jamie spent some extra time fondling DJ’s BBC and it became hard. Jamie dropped to his knees, and sucked it into his mouth. DJ grabbed the top of the shower doorframe, enjoying the feeling of his cock inside Jamie’s mouth, while the water sprayed on both of them.

Jamie quietly soaped up his hand and started to play with DJ’s hole, sliding his finger inside of it, then pushed it in a little further, finally stimulating DJ’s prostate.

“Oh, Jamie! I’m gonna cum! Oh, fuck! Damn, feels so good!”

Jamie had DJ backed against the end shower wall, continuing his assault on DJ’s cock, feeling DJ pulsing, then exploding into his waiting mouth, and swallowing DJ’s delicious cream that he loves so much. After Jamie released DJ’s penis, and pulled out his finger from DJ’s hole, DJ was panting. Jamie’s own cock was throbbing, begging for it’s own release.

“Baby! Jamie exclaimed, “Ride me!”

“Ride you?” DJ questioned, “How?”

“Let me lay down, and just lower your hole onto my stick, you have control as to how fast and how much you take. It’ll be like giving me a blowjob, with your ass.”

“I don’t know about this,” DJ spoke softly, while squatting above Jamie, feeling the head of Jamie’s cock, touching his anus. Jamie had already soaped DJ’s anus with his finger shortly before. He cautiously lowered his anus feeling the head of Jamie’s cock press into his hole, he relaxed his sphincter ring, allowing the head of Jamie’s cock to enter his rectum.

DJ paused for a minute, getting used to the intrusion, then slid down a little more, gradually starting to ride up and down on Jamie's hard and excited cock. Jamie was in heaven, loving the feeling of DJ’s asshole sliding on his cock.

“Baby, you’re doing great!” Jamie exclaimed, “that feels utterly fantastic! Please don’t stop!”

“I’m all the way down, Jamie, and it feels like I’m gonna cum again! I don’t think I can though, cause I just did. Are you close?”

“Probably just a couple minutes, I can feel it building.”

“Jamie, look how hard I am again. I can’t believe this!”

“Baby!” Jamie exclaimed, “I’m gonna fill you, right no—Oh fuck, I’m cumming, big—time!

Feeling Jamie’s release into his gut triggered DJ to cum again, the first spurt landing on Jamie’s face, and a second, smaller one just kind of dribbled out, running down DJ’s own cock. Jamie wiped the spurt off his face and licked it off his finger, grinning.

The two boys just stayed that way for a couple of minutes, smiling at each other. DJ started to rise up, and Jamie pushed him back down.

“Not yet,” Jamie said, “I want to stay in you for a while, it feels so good.” Jamie knew he would deflate soon enough.

After a couple more minutes they realized the water was starting to cool. Jamie told DJ he could squat and release the sperm out of his butt and the water would rinse away the evidence. Both boys took a last rinse, turned off the water, and hugged, shared a romantic kiss, then dried each other off.

“Jamie,” DJ spoke softly, “I feel empty, I think I like the feeling of you inside me! I still can’t believe I came twice.”

“Baby, next time it’s my turn to ride you, can I assume you liked what we just did?”

“You don’t have to assume, I’ll admit it, that was beautiful. I like having you make love to me. I love you so much!”

“No more than I love you, baby,” Jamie replied.

When the boys returned to the bedroom, they noticed Joe and I sitting at the kitchen table. DJ looked at the clock and it was already 11:00 AM and DJ is scheduled at noon today. I had already started to cook some bacon and eggs, so had some breakfast nearly ready for DJ.

Joe, grinning, “I guess some young men had some fun in the shower this morning!”

A suddenly red faced DJ replied, “You were spying on us?”

“No DJ, we weren’t spying,” Joe answered, “Doug and I needed to pee, so we used the toilet and just over heard some of the activity. It’s all good, I just had to pick a little.”

Joe and I both grinned. I think we all know that Joe loves to pick, if he thinks he can get a rise out of someone. DJ ate quickly, got dressed for work, picked up one of those notes to take to Randy and left for work. Joe and I had another cup of coffee and the three of us sat naked at the table for a while, chatting.

I remember how self-conscious Jamie used to be, when he and DJ first became friends, about being naked in front of us. Now he is just like the rest of us, strutting around here naked is like second nature. DJ has told me that they only strip to their underwear when they’re at Jamie’s house, I suppose because of respect for Karen. I’m betting they still sleep naked, even there.


* * * * * *

DJ walked into the store about 11:55. Gloria greeted him cheerfully when he was clocking in.

“Good morning, Sweetie,” Gloria said, “you might want to check the schedule for this week. Randy put it up last night, and you are getting some hours!”

“Gloria,” DJ asked, concerned, “Why are you always calling me ‘sweetie’?”

“Because you are sweet, and I like you a lot, does it bother you?”

“It’s just—well—I‘m am hoping you aren’t liking me for the wrong reasons.”

Gloria, a hand on DJ’s shoulder, “DJ, we need to talk.” She led him to the back of the pharmacy.

“To begin with, this company has a stringent policy on fraternizing between management and subordinates. If such were to occur, someone will be transferred to another store. Secondly, I have someone in my life, my boyfriend and I have dated for about 6 years, and we’ve lived together for over three. We just haven’t married, yet.”

“If I was looking for someone, I wouldn’t choose a young, gay kid like you, I would be looking for a woman’s man.”

“Who told you I was gay?”

“Sweetie, I’ve been around, and I know people. Nobody told me, I sensed it, the first day we worked together. It’s not a bad quality, just a little unique. When I asked you about becoming a cashier trainer a few days ago, it was due to your qualities, and qualifications. You have the desire to please, and do things right, and patience. That’s why I think you are the right person for that position. Feel better?”

“Yes, I do, Thanks, Gloria.” DJ displayed that captivating smile.

“DJ,” Gloria stated, “You’ve got the most beautiful smile of anyone I know, can I still call you ‘sweetie’?”

DJ, smiling again, “Sure, Gloria, if you wish.”

On the way to the front of the store, Gloria handed DJ a till and told him he is on terminal 3 today. Church has let out, and there are quite a few customers in the store. When things are slower DJ will check out the next weeks schedule.

When I arrived to start my shift at 3:00 PM, I checked the schedule. Randy had changed mine, from the usual 3-9 every day to 3-7 on Saturday and Sunday, but still 3-9 on the other days. I’ve had a habit of writing down DJ’s schedule, and was quite surprised to see the hours he is scheduled for this week. He’s not going to have a lot of playtime this week. I wrote down his schedule.

DJ- 12/11 – 12/17

Monday Off
Tuesday 10-9
Wednesday 3-9 Del
Thursday 12-9
Friday 12-9
Saturday 12-6
Sunday 10-5
Total 48

“Doug,” Randy said, “I’ve noticed we have very few deliveries later on Saturday’s and Sunday’s, so I trimmed your hours back to 7:00 PM those days. You can make them up, if you want to go on the registers, especially between now and Christmas.”

“Randy, I’m not really comfortable on the registers, it’s kind of new to me.”

“You’ll be OK Doug, you just need some more practice. When you’re in here, between deliveries, or when you’re done for the day, I want you to go on DJ’s terminal, and have him shadow you. He’ll be right there to assist you, and you’ll get better.”

“OK Randy, I’ll give it a shot,” I told him, “I need to give you a heads up on something else, but please keep this secret. Jamie’s parents, and Joe and I have chipped together to give the boys something really special for Christmas, but they don’t know yet. We don’t want them to know, until Christmas Day. We’re sending them on a five day vacation to Disney World.”

“Awesome!” Randy exclaimed, grinning, “They’re going to have a ball. When are they going?”

“I’m not sure of the exact date’s yet. It’ll be during the first half of January, as they need to be back before the 14th, which is our wedding day, and also their classes will be resuming on the 15th.”

“Wow!” Randy commented, “January is going to be a busy month for your family, are you guys going to go on a honeymoon?”

“Yes, we get married on Sunday, the 14th, then we’re flying to Miami on Monday, and doing a gay cruise to the Bahamas on Tuesday through Friday, we’ll be coming home Saturday.”

Randy, smiling, “Have you ever been on one of those cruises?”

“No, it’s something both of us have always wanted to do. Joe already secured the reservations.”

“Daryl and I went on one, I think three or four years ago, Doug, you two are going to love it! I’m so happy for both of you! There are only a couple of deliveries right now and they can wait for a while. Let’s go up front.”

“DJ,” Randy said, “I want you to continue working with your Dad on checkout. Please let him do the work, and guide him when needed, OK?” DJ nodded, there were three customers in line.

DJ informed the customers that I was in training. He coached me as to how to handle prescriptions, how to ID customers that may be underage, and purchasing tobacco or alcohol. DJ worked with me for about 2 hours, and never once touched the terminal. I then left to take the deliveries, and later, continued to train with my Son.

At about 7:00 PM, Randy gave me a choice, either clock out, or stay on the register and continue to train, and I chose to train on. By 9:00 PM, I was handling all the transactions with very little help from DJ. When we were ready to clock out, Randy informed me that when I come in tomorrow (Monday) at 3:00 PM he was going to give me my own terminal for the shift, and I would be cashing out some customers in between deliveries.

DJ, just noticing his schedule, “Holy shit, Randy, you’ve got me scheduled 48 hours this week! Are you trying to kill me?”

Randy replied, smiling, “DJ, you’re young, and I know you can handle them, but please don’t say anything around the others. You’re the only one that’s getting overtime, and that’s time and a half pay rate. Take it while you can get it, kid, Christmas only happens once a year.” DJ smiled, realizing Randy is actually favoring him, with the extra hours and overtime hours.

Wednesday, December 13th seemed to be a day of good news. Gloria opened that morning. When Randy came in that afternoon at 3:00 PM he shared the information that his “roommate” was getting a transfer to the local CVS store, effective on January 1st so he was now officially in search of a two or three bedroom house to rent, for Daryl and himself.

When DJ got a break, he called me and informed me of Randy’s announcement. I took a little drive around to the house where Justin used to live, as I knew it was a decent house with modest rent and was a two-bedroom house. I made note of the realtor’s name and phone number, and will give it to Randy tomorrow. Only DJ and I know that they really don’t ‘need’ a 2 bedroom house, but…..

After I gave Randy the information on Thursday, he called the realtor, and made an appointment to see the house the next Tuesday, the 19th, when he and Daryl would both be off, and could check it out. If they accept the house, they would like to move between Christmas and New Years, when they likely could both get a couple of days off together.

Thursday evening, December 14th, Anthony had a discussion with Jamie, asking his help. He said he had more school orders for class Christmas Parties than what Jamie would be able to deliver, and wondered if DJ could maybe make some deliveries. Jamie told him that Randy had DJ already overloaded with hours, then Anthony asked about if maybe I could do some school deliveries. Jamie gave Anthony my cell number, and asked him to call me.

Friday morning, December 15th at about 9:15 AM my phone rang, and I didn’t recognize the number.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Is this Doug Kendall?” the voice asked.

“Speaking.”

“Doug,” Anthony spoke, “This is Anthony, at the pizzeria, I’m hoping you can help me out. I’ve got a shit load of school orders for next Tuesday and Wednesday, the 19th and 20th, and I know Jamie can’t deliver all of them. You don’t work until afternoon, do you?”

“Usually 3:00 PM, Anthony, and I’m usually off on Wednesdays”

“I really need some help, some are elementary and middle school, and some are high school. They’re scheduled anywhere from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM. I’ll be glad to pay you, and you’ll likely get some tips, can you help me? Please?”

“I’ll help you, Anthony, what time would you like me to come in?”

“10:30 would be fine, Doug, I’ll be in at 8:30 and I’m bringing Jamie in at 9:00 to help top and box them up. Both Tuesday and Wednesday, OK? Wednesday is the last day of school and the kids will be out until January 2nd, Doug, I really appreciate your help.”

“OK Anthony, I’ll see you Tuesday morning.”

Anthony sounded so desperate, and he and Maria have been really good to our family, there is no way I can not help him, and I know where all the schools are. It won’t affect my store schedule, and it’s only for those two days. Anthony is even letting Joe and I use the party room for our wedding and reception without rent. I’m not going to even let him pay me, I’m not that tight for money!

These last couple of weeks before Christmas has all of us getting some extra hours. Even Joe has been doing off-duty security at the mall from open until he has to go on his regular patrol at 3:00 PM. He is mostly handling the arrest of shoplifters at the mall. DJ’s working hard, Jamie’s had a lot of parties to work, and now I even have a couple days of pizza delivery to schools.

That same Friday that Anthony called me, the mailman delivered an envelope addressed to Kendall, Douglas Joseph from the college. When we got home from work that night, DJ was smiling even before he opened it, just seeing his name printed out on the envelope. He then opened it, and read it.

“Dad,” DJ stated, “these are my final grades for the semester, I got A’s in Math and Government, and B’s in English and Psychology.”

“Great, I’m proud of you, Son,” I said, smiling, I was very proud of him. He’d worked hard, and deserved those grades. I am pleased that DJ is taking his education seriously, and really trying to get good grades.

Being this was a Friday evening, Jamie would be working until 11:00 PM. DJ text’d Jamie to let him know that he’d gotten his grades from college and likely his would also have been delivered. Jamie passed the information on to Anthony.

“Jamie,” Anthony stated, “bring that letter in tomorrow, you know I want to see it. Your scheduled work hours next semester depend on those grades.”

“Okay, Anthony, let me call Mom right quick and see if mine was delivered today also, and if it was, I’ll pick it up tomorrow before I come in to work.”

Anthony nodding in approval, “Fine, I need you in here at 11:00 AM tomorrow for a party, but I’ll try and get you out after the dinner rush, about 8:00 PM.”

Jamie called his Mom and determined that the letter from college had indeed arrived. Since Jamie has to be at work at 11:00 Saturday, and DJ is scheduled at noon, Karen ‘insisted’ that the boys spend Friday night at their home, and she would be happy to serve them a nice breakfast before they both had to go to work. DJ told me of their plans, and left my house about 10:30 PM to hook up with Jamie at the Seldon’s home. Joe will be home about 11:00 PM and I guess we have the house to ourselves tonight, although we both miss the boys when they’re not here.

Over the course of time, some of DJ’s clothes have migrated to the Seldon’s home and about an equal quantity of Jamie’s clothing has taken up residence here at my house. Karen and I have both given up trying to separate their individual garments, and just let the boys decide whose is whose. Their sizes are so close, they can both wear each other’s clothes, and that often happens. The one thing that has changed, there is rarely any soiled boxers to be laundered anymore, just a lot of boxer-briefs.

DJ walked in the kitchen door of the Seldon home, now finally without knocking, about 10:50 PM. Karen was prepared, as she heard the Tracker pull in and park. She opened her arms to warmly welcome her second son, and they hugged and kissed. DJ sat at the table, while Karen was preparing something at the stove.

It would probably be another 40 or 45 minutes before Jamie would arrive. DJ pulled the letter from school from his back pocket and proudly showed it to Karen. They discussed DJ’s grades, and Karen smiled happily, hoping Jamie’s grades would be as good.

“DJ,” Karen asked, “can I pick your brain? You know Jamie’s birthday is only a few days away. What would be a good Birthday Present? What do you think he would really like, and we want to keep it separate from his Christmas present, which is already taken care of.”

“Mom, Jamie has mentioned that he would like to have a Notebook, or Laptop. We are going to be taking a Computer Software class next semester, and it would help him a lot, doing research and stuff. I’m quite computer illiterate, and he could probably teach me how to use one also.”

“He has access to a computer here,” Karen responded, “Any time he needs one.”

“Yeah, but that one is like the ones that Dad and Joe have, and it’s wired to the house. A laptop is portable, and he could use it anywhere, like at school or even at Anthony’s, as Anthony has WiFi at the pizzeria.”

“Thanks, honey,” Karen stated, “I think you just helped us solve a dilemma. Carl and I were at a loss, as to what to give him. I’ll discuss it with Carl, but please don’t tip Jamie off, okay?”

“My lips are sealed,” DJ answered, “I’m thinking that with some of this extra money I’m making with all these hours, I might buy one for myself after the first of the year, maybe. Now I have to ask, what does Jamie need, that I can afford to buy him?”

Karen, thinking, “He has outgrown his winter jacket. It’s old and too small for him now. I think he was 14 or 15 when he got that one, and he has grown some since then. Any help?”

“Thanks, Mom, that’s a lot of help. I know if I buy one that fits me, it will fit him. We’re about the same sizes all over.” Karen smiled.

About 11:30 Jamie walked in the door, DJ stood up, Jamie removed his jacket and hung it up, then the two boys embraced and shared a romantic kiss. Karen was watching them, smiling, and appreciating how much love these two young men have for each other. Then Jamie walked over to Karen, hugged her and kissed her.

Karen served them bowls of macaroni, beef and tomatoes, and they finished off their meal with some of Karen’s homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies and glasses of milk. Karen then handed Jamie the envelope from college. Jamie opened it, with some reservations, and looked at the grades.

Jamie stated. “Baby, I’ll show you mine, if you show me yours.”

DJ exclaimed, grinning, “Jamie, we already know what each other looks like!”

“Silly!” Jamie replied, “I’m referring to the grades.” Karen almost lost it, giggling, but catching the connotation.

Jamie, looking at the letter, “Mom, I got A’s in Math and English, and B’s in Government and Psychology. I’m surprised I did that well in Government and Psychology, those classes were so boring!”

“It’s probably good,” Karen commented, “that you both did well in Math. Didn’t you tell me you were going to be taking Algebra next semester? What is your class schedule for Spring Semester?”

“I’ve got a copy in my backpack, I’ll get it,” Jamie said, running to his room.

Jamie, returning to the kitchen table, “Here it is, Monday, Wednesday and Friday are the same. Algebra 1 at 9:00 AM, English 101 at 10:00 AM, and Intro to Computer Software at 11:00 AM. Then on Thursday from 9:00 AM to noon we have a Computer Software Lab, and on Thursday afternoon from 2:00 to 4:00 we have our fun class, Phys Ed, which is Volleyball. DJ, you do like to play volleyball, don’t you?”

“I don’t know, baby. I’ve never played it. You gotta consider where I grew up, ‘bout the only thing the guys there did was shoot basketball, and I never really even had time for that, with having to watch over my siblings while Mama worked.”

That comment brought tears to both Karen’s and Jamie’s eyes. Both Karen and Jamie realized, once again, that DJ had never had the opportunity to be a kid!

“Baby,” Jamie responded, “I’m really sorry you got shafted so bad as a kid, but that’s in the past. You have a new life now, and things will be better, I promise you! You have two sets of parents now that love you unconditionally, and a boyfriend that worships the ground you stand on.”

Jamie stood up and walked behind DJ, then wrapped his arms around his boyfriend and kissed him tenderly on the lips.

“I just don’t know, about this volleyball thing,” DJ stated, “do you know how to play it?”

“Kinda sorta,” Jamie returned, “we played it a little bit in high school, maybe 3 or 4 times. I think you’ll enjoy it, once we get into it, and the Phys Ed instructor will teach us how to play. That’s why it’s offered, as a class. We’ll be fine, baby. Right now, though, we need to get some sleep, it’s an early workday for both of us tomorrow, and it’s already almost 1:00 AM. I’m due in at 11:00 AM and you’re scheduled at noon, aren’t you?” DJ nodded.

“If I plan breakfast for about 9:30 will that work?” Karen queried.

“That’ll be fine, Mom,” Jamie replied, grabbing DJ’s hand and leading him towards their bedroom.

They removed their outer clothes, made a quick trip to the bathroom, then returned, dropped their boxer-briefs to the floor and snuggled up. Neither of them even thought about having sex, they were both tired and needed sleep. They fell asleep shortly, enjoying the sensation of their naked bodies lying against each other, and each with an arm wrapped around the other.


* * * * * *

Collectively, Christmas shopping will be relatively simple this year. Joe and I had already decided, as the honeymoon cruise had cost a pretty penny, and our half of the boys Disney trip was still quite a lot, and I’m still recovering from the cost of DJ’s Tracker, we are not getting anything for each other for Christmas.

Jamie and DJ had decided that having each other was a great gift, and decided against swapping gifts for Christmas. Although Jamie had ordered a special pair of sexy swimming trunks for DJ, before they decided not to swap gifts.

Karen and Carl thought pretty closely the same way. Karen insisted they get some small gifts for Steve’s kids, and they spent about $60 on some toys for the youngsters. They did take DJ’s suggestion, and purchased a Laptop for Jamie, for his Birthday, and DJ went to the mall and found a nice warm blue winter jacket to give his boyfriend for his birthday, and had it gift wrapped.

Joe and I had told the boys that just having our family complete was all the Christmas present we needed, so save your money. Joe went to Target and picked up two nice flannel shirts for us to give to Jamie for his birthday, and had them gift-wrapped.

Jamie had noticed that both of his parent’s house slippers were getting worn out, and went to Target and purchased some new replacements to give them for Christmas, and had them gift wrapped.


* * * * * *

Tuesday morning, December 19th is a little different. DJ is working his typical open to close, from 10 AM to 9 PM, Jamie is going in at 9:00 AM to help Anthony with the school orders and I am going in to help deliver school pizza orders at 10:30 AM today and tomorrow.

The boys were up and showering at 7:30 AM, and DJ started the coffee brewing. Jamie said he would just grab a couple sausage biscuits on the way, DJ and I have a little more time before we have to leave.

Randy is off today, but he and Daryl have an appointment to check out the house where Justin used to live. Daryl drove down from the city Monday night, and was able to spend the night with Randy at the hotel.


* * * * * *

It’s 11:00 AM in room 106 at the Shady Inn, and Daryl’s eyes fell open. He raised up on one elbow and is gazing onto his lover’s face, and tempting lips. Temptation overcomes, and he lowers his lips onto Randy’s lips, which respond in seconds. The two share a passionate kiss and hug, then both men are feeling the pleasure of their erections kissing each other down below.

“What a glorious way to wake up in the morning!” Randy exclaimed, “Did you sleep well, my love?”

“I always sleep well, when I sleep with the man I love! What time is our appointment with the real estate person?”

“1:00 PM,” Randy replied, “Shit—it’s after 11:00 already, we gotta get moving, babe! I know, after last night, that we both need a shower.”

“You know,” Daryl commented, “the beauty of making love in a hotel is that we don’t have to worry about cleaning the sheets. The sixty miles between here and the city is killing me.”

“Yeah, I know, it feels like a thousand miles sometimes,” Randy stated, “but if we can bear just a couple more weeks, we’ll be together, every night. I’m so happy that you got that transfer.”

The two men jumped in the shower together, washed each other, helped each other get dry, and then got dressed to meet the outside world. Randy stopped at the office and requested that room service make up the bed with clean sheets. They stopped at Bojangle’s and grabbed some breakfast then drove to the address of the house they were to check out, arriving at about 12:45. The realtor was not there yet.

While they were waiting on the realtor, Daryl and Randy checked out the back of the house, and the back yard. In the back corner of the yard was a swing set. They surmised that it might actually belong to Justin, the former occupant. It was a decent sized yard, large enough to entertain a few people, and secluded to the point where they likely could even have sex and the neighbors would be clueless. It also had a nice deck, right off the kitchen.

“Daryl, I think we should rephrase how we refer to each other. The term ‘roommate’ refers to two people sharing a single room, as we did in college when we were dorm mates. ‘Housemates’, on the other hand, refers to two or more people sharing the same house, and we can cover by stating that we have our own separate bedrooms. Isn’t that why we wanted to rent a two bedroom house?”

“You’re absolutely right, Randy, and that brings up another question, would you consider being my housemate?”

“Fool!” Randy laughed, “Only if we can share each other’s beds once in a while, like, maybe once a day?”

“Randy, I love you!” Daryl blurted, and pulled Randy to him, planting a kiss on Randy’s lips, just as the real estate guy walked into the back yard, unnoticed.

“Excuse me, am I interrupting something?” he questioned.

“Busted!” Randy exclaimed, his face turning red, “You’re Brett?”

“It’s Brad, not Brett, and you must be Randy Shultz?”

“That’s me, and this is my part—housemate, Daryl Cartwright.”

The three of us shared handshakes, and Brad smiled.

“Guys, relax,” Brad stated, “this is far from the first time I’ve encountered same-sex couples, and I know it isn’t the last. So, how long have you two been together?”

Daryl spoke, “Well, three years at the university, and…..”

“Almost 4 years since graduation, so, going on 7 years all together,” Randy completed the answer.

“Awesome,” Brad commented, “You guys seem pretty stable. Shall we check out the house?” Brad led them to the front door.

When they walked in they were immediately inside a reasonably good sized living room, beyond that was a dining room, and then the eat-in kitchen, with no appliances. Coming back to the living room, at the right side was an open doorway into a hallway that had three doors on the right and a fourth door at the left end.

Going down the hall, the first door opened into a nice sized bedroom, the second into a large bathroom, and the last into another bedroom of equal size to the first. The door at the far end opened into the kitchen. The bathroom was very unusual, having a door from the hall, and doors on each side into the two bedrooms. There was no bathtub, but it had a huge shower, easily large enough for two adults. Daryl smiled when he saw that shower.

“Brad,” Randy asked, “what is the rent for this house? And how long is the lease?”

“Six, plus a one month security deposit. It’s a 2-year lease. I think it’s quite reasonable. Of course that depends on you guys passing a credit check. Would it be in both of your names?”

“Daryl, let’s go outside a minute, Brad, we’ll be back in a few.” Once outside, “What do you think, Hun?”

“I love the house, and I know I fell in love with that shower. $600 is $200 less than we are paying now for just a 1-bedroom apartment. We need to have appliances though. My biggest concern is, what if one or the other of our employers decides to move one of us somewhere else?”

“Southside usually makes it an offer, and we can decline, or accept,” Randy replied, “how does CVS do that, I know you were able to get a transfer, by your choice. Are you comfortable with us doing this as a couple, in both of our names?”

“I think,” Daryl responded, “after the last 7 years, I don’t see an end to us anytime soon. I love you as much as ever, even more. I do think we should consider marriage, and maybe some family.”

“Oh my god, babe, I never realized you might want kids, and I want to be a Daddy so bad! Let’s go back in, and get those papers signed. We do need to push for appliances, though. We can ask.”

“Well, guys,” Brad queried, “What’s the verdict?”

“Here’s the situation,” Randy explained, “we currently have an apartment in the city. We’ve been on a month to month since the lease expired. We have our own furniture, but the appliances belong to the apartment. Can you help us out with appliances?”

“Maybe,” Brad replied, “new appliances would add $100 a month to the rent, but we could maybe come up with some used but serviceable appliances, Range, Fridge, Washer and Dryer, for maybe $50 extra a month.”

“Hold on a minute!” Randy stated, “Daryl, if you were serious, about what we touched on a few minutes ago, we might be better off to get our own appliances.”

Daryl, loving the way Randy is talking, “And then if, two or three years from now, we decide to buy a house, we’ll have the appliances already, and they would probably be paid for.”

Randy, smiling, “Brad, I think the verdict is in. We want the house, but we’ll buy our own appliances.” Daryl is nodding in agreement.

“Guys,” Brad said, “It looks like a done deal, are you prepared to put some money on it? And when would you want to move in?”

“Daryl, did you bring your checkbook? I’ve got mine, one of us can pay the deposit, and the other can pay the first month’s rent. I think we’d like to be moved in before New Years Day. Daryl isn’t officially transferred here until January 1st.”

Daryl, checkbook and pen in hand, “We figured we could get two days off together sometime between Christmas and New Years, and could make the move then. We would need the keys, probably, the day or two before Christmas.”

“Fine,” Brad smiled, “Let’s get these papers signed. Assuming your checks and the credit check clears, I can drop the keys off to Randy at the store, probably on Saturday, the 23rd. Will that work? Then you’ll have the whole week between Christmas and New Years, to get your appliances delivered and make your move.”

Randy, smiling and taking Daryl’s hand, “I think that will work just fine, Brad, and thank you for working with us.”

They spent the next half an hour, filling out papers and signing them, both Daryl and Randy wrote out checks and gave them to Brad.

“Gentlemen,” Brad stated, “It’s been my pleasure to help you, and I don’t foresee any problems. Please keep it in mind, that we not only handle rentals, but also sell homes. If you decide to buy a home in the future, I’ll be more than happy to help you find one.”

The three men walked out of the house, Randy and Daryl holding hands, and Brad locking the door behind all of them.

“Babe,” Randy commented, “I know you have to drive back to the city tonight, but we still have a few hours. Shall we go shopping for some appliances?”

“Sure, hun, that would seem like a logical next step, and then maybe a nice place for dinner. You’re coming up Christmas Eve aren’t you?”

“That’s my plan,” Randy replied, “We’re closing at 6:00, and I’m already collecting boxes at the store. I have a feeling we’re going to spend Christmas Day packing. I hope you haven’t bought me anything for Christmas.”

“Actually, I’ve be procrastinating, what about you?”

“I think, considering this move, we should hold on to our money as there will likely be some other things we haven’t planned on that will require money. We’re going to have to rent a U-haul truck, and we’ll probably need a deposit for the electric. I hope we’ll have plenty of Christmas’s in the future we can spoil each other with.”

Daryl, chuckling, “Remember the day I caught you with grindr open on your phone?”

“Yeah, that was 7 years and three phones ago! I don’t think I ever told you, but I deleted that app the next day,” Randy confessed, “Somehow, I just knew I wouldn’t need it anymore. I’m so glad we fell in love, the last seven years have been the best years of my life.”

“I think, Babe, that was just the first seven years of a lifetime of love and happiness for us to share. I love you so much!”

The two went to Lowe’s, purchased all the needed appliances in matching Stainless Steel finish, and made arrangements to have them delivered, but needed to confirm the delivery date for after they had received the keys.


* * * * * *

Thursday morning, December 21st, Randy received a phone call from Brad. Brad stated that everything was clear, and he could drop by the store to give Randy the keys. Randy told Brad that he was doubling today, and would be there until 9:00 PM that evening. Brad said he’d be there sometime in the afternoon.

Randy checked the schedule for Friday, he was opening and Gloria was coming in at 3:00 PM and closing. He then called Lowe’s and made arrangements for the appliance delivery for Friday, after 4:00 PM.

Randy is wishing, at this time, that they had made another purchase, a bedroom suite for the spare bedroom. Oh, well, they can do without the other bedroom for now, but if they had it, Randy could actually move into the new house Friday evening, and get out of the Shady Inn.


* * * * * *

It’s Sunday morning, December 24th, Christmas Eve and the day of Jamie’s 20th Birthday Celebration (although his actual birthday isn’t until December 25th). DJ, Jamie and I are all up at 8:00 AM, and looking out the window to see that it is snowing lightly with about 1” on the ground. DJ and Jamie are both due to work at 10:00 AM, I’m due at 3:00 PM.

Because of Jamie’s Birthday, Anthony said he would get Jamie out early, and the drug store is closing at 6:00 PM tonight. We’re hoping that Applebee’s won’t decide to close too early because of the snow, we have a reservation for 7:00 PM.

While I was preparing breakfast, Jamie and DJ both got dressed, and borrowed the broom to sweep the snow off their cars. DJ dug out his old boots and put them in the Tracker, just in case, but was wearing a pair of sneakers. He also took out an old jacket, and covered up the package in the rear of the Tracker that contained the new jacket he was giving Jamie, mainly to hide it.

By the time DJ and Jamie were ready to leave for work, about 9:30 AM, there was over 2” of snow on the ground. Jamie decided to leave his car here, and the boys both left in DJ’s Tracker. My car was under the carport, so it wasn’t getting covered with snow.

DJ parked next to Randy’s car, Jamie walked over to the pizzeria and DJ entered the store to clock in.

Randy, as DJ clocked in, “DJ, I know it’s not what you were hired for, but can I ask you to take this snow scraper and clean off the sidewalks around the store, and sprinkle some rock salt on the concrete?”

“Sure, Randy, do we have any gloves? I don’t have any.”

“DJ, go over to that rack and pick out the ones you want, and bring them to me, and I’ll write them off, as well as a bag of rock salt.”

DJ did as Randy requested, and was done and back in the store about thirty minutes later. Meanwhile, Evelyn called out, saying she was afraid to drive in the snow. Randy called me.

“Doug, I know you’re not due in until 3:00 PM, but I’m in a bind. Can you come in ASAP, Evelyn called out, and I really need another cashier. I’m not accepting any delivery orders today, it’s not worth taking the chance with this snow falling.”

“Joe and I just sat down to breakfast, but I’ll come in as soon as we finish. Is that OK?”

“That’ll be fine Doug, and I really appreciate it, thanks,” he hung up.

Joe, looking out the window, “I sure dread tonight. I know what a day like this brings, all kinds of fender benders, so many people don’t know how to drive under these conditions. It’s likely I won’t make it to Jamie’s birthday celebration, or if I do, I won’t be able to stay more than a few minutes. I assume, from that phone call, you’re needing to go to work early?”

“Yeah, the drawback of being cross trained as a cashier. I guess I’d better get ready, he wants me in ASAP. Randy’s not accepting any deliveries today.”

“Smart man, I’d be mighty uncomfortable knowing you were out there and making deliveries on these roads.”

I got dressed, started my car to warm up, came back in and sprayed on a little cologne and finished my coffee. I kissed Joe goodbye and left for the store. When I got to the shopping center, I parked next to Gloria’s car and wondered where Randy’s car was.


* * * * * *

I walked in, and walked back to the pharmacy to clock in, where Gloria met me.

“Where is Randy?” I asked.

“You just missed him, he left here about 5 minutes ago. He wasn’t scheduled to leave until 4:00 PM but he was pretty concerned about the roads, and the 60 miles he has to travel to get back to the city. We’re not extremely busy, and I told him I could handle everything OK. Here is your draw, and you’re on station 2 today.”

“But you’ve got some distance to drive when you get off, too.”

“It’s only about 20 miles, and Jerry’s got a 4X4, he’s coming to pick me up at 6:00 PM.”

“Is he going to bring you in to work Tuesday morning? Don’t you have to open Tuesday?”

“Jerry will be at work, I might just have to requisition the services of a really sweet young gay guy with a Tracker to come and pick me up Tuesday morning,” Gloria said, smiling. My jaw dropped.

“Are you OK Doug?”

“Yeaaaaah, you just caught me a little off guard.”

“Honey, I know more about a lot of people in this store, that they don’t know that I know. I’m a people person. I know that you are about to marry one of the local boys in blue next month, and I certainly hope you plan to invite me to that celebration of love.”

“Well, it wasn’t really my intention, but since you put it that way, would you be comfortable attending a gay wedding?”

“Why wouldn’t I be, Doug, is anything more beautiful than two people in love with each other, and committing to each other? I’m a believer that love is love, and love knows no gender.”

“Gloria,” I commented, with wet eyes, “You’re an awesome lady.”

“Doug, are you aware that Randy and Daryl have rented a house together?”

“No, I wasn’t. I knew they were looking. Have you met Randy’s housemate?”

“No,” Gloria answered, grinning, “I’ve met the man he introduced as his housemate, but I know they’re not housemates, they’re soul-mates! One would have to be blind not to see the love they share.”

“I guess I’d better get out on the floor and quit milking Randy’s clock,” I smiled, “and thanks for the update!”

I don’t want her to necessarily know it, but the more I work with and get to know Gloria, the more she grows on me. When I first met her, I didn’t think I was going to like her, but I do now. I like her a lot. I think DJ likes her too.

So much for Randy keeping his ‘gay secret’ secret. Gloria is on to him, but I don’t think Randy has anything to fear, Gloria is about as open-minded as they come.

* * * * * *

Mike picked up Joe at 3:00 PM with one of the Departments four SUV’s, which are 4X4’s and better for this foul weather.

Joe, after just a few minutes on the road, “Crap!”

“What’s the matter, Joe?”

“Jamie’s Birthday present is in the trunk of the cruiser we usually have. I told Doug I would at least try to drop it off tonight if we got close to Applebee’s between 7:00 and 8:00.”

“I’m one up on you, Joe, I transferred it to the back end of this one, when I had to switch vehicles today.”

“Oh, thank you Mike, you may be a rookie, but you’re going to make a good partner for any cop. I really appreciate that. I know we’re going to have lots of accidents today, so many of these people just don’t know how to drive on these roads.”

“Thanks for the complement, Joe.”


* * * * * *

With this snow falling, the pizza trade has all but ceased. Jamie has had only two tables all afternoon, and it’s nearly 4:00 PM. Usually there would be more carryout on the eve of a holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas, but evidently, the snow has scared those would be customers from wanting to leave their homes.

“Jamie,” Anthony said, “we’re just wasting our time hanging around here. We don’t even have any pick-up orders, except this one that cancelled. Do you think your friends at the drug store might enjoy some free pizza?"

“Maybe, let me call DJ right quick.” Jamie made a phone call, then replied, “DJ says they’re all starved, and I’ll take it over to them, Thanks Anthony.”

“Hold up a minute, Jamie, here is your letter, with your decent grades, no cutback on your hours for next semester!” Then, handing Jamie a sealed card, “This is from your co-workers.”

Jamie opened it, the card front read ‘Happy 20th Birthday’ and when he opened it up, the inside read ‘Jamie, we all love you!’ and $37.00 cash fell out. The card was signed by all that worked here, even a couple servers that Jamie didn’t think liked him. Jamie brushed a couple tears aside, tore off the stiff cardboard back from an order pad, and wrote a note. ‘Thank you to everyone that made my birthday a little bit happier. I love you all too, Jamie.’ He then scotch taped it next to the work schedule and smiled at Anthony.

“Jamie,” Anthony said, “Great job this week, and tell Doug I really appreciated his help. Everything went down very well.” Then, wrapping his arms around Jamie, “Happy Birthday Jamie! and many more to come. Now take these pizzas and feed your friends, and I’ll see you next week, Oh, and Merry Christmas too.”

“Merry Christmas Maria, and Anthony,” Jamie wished them, as he picked up the pizzas, and Anthony held the door for him, then turned the sign that said ‘CLOSED’ he locked the door and they all left. Jamie headed to the drug store with the two pizzas. DJ had just finished cashing out a customer, and saw Jamie heading toward the door with the pizzas. He rushed to the door and held it for his boyfriend to enter.

“FOOD!” DJ hollered, “Jamie, can you take those back to the break room, next to the pharmacy?”

Lois and Gloria were both working on some prescriptions and saw Jamie in the doorway.

Gloria, quickly gathering some papers up that were on the table, “You can set them right here, sweetie. You must be DJ’s boyfriend! Let me finish this order, and I’ll be back.”

DJ, coming in from the front, “Gloria, I’m Jamie’s transportation tonight. The pizzeria has already closed, is it OK if Jamie chills out back here until we get out of here?”

“Sure, sweetie, Jamie, make yourself at home. I think DJ could have done a little better on introductions, though.”

“I’m sorry, Jamie, this is Gloria Stephens, our Assistant Manager, and Gloria, this is my best friend, Jamie Seldon.”

“Best friend?” Gloria queried, “I thought he was your boyfriend.”

“Well—“DJ stumbled, his face a little pink, “he’s both—my boyfriend and my best friend.”

“It’s pretty natural,” Gloria commented, “in a healthy relationship your partner, or husband, or wife, or boyfriend should also be your best friend. Don’t you agree?” Both boys nodded, and smiled at each other as Lois entered, and helped herself to a slice of pizza.

“You just gotta love DJ’s smile,” Lois remarked, “It could melt an iceberg, but I can remember a time when we rarely saw it. He’s come a long way since he first came to work here.”

We got a break, with no customers in the store, Cindy and I both headed to the break room to grab some of that pizza, and were standing in the doorway, overhearing some of the conversation.

“A lot has changed,” DJ commented, “since I first came to work here. When I was first here, I didn’t have family that loved me, and made me feel wanted. I have that now, and I feel so much more secure. I’m living now, instead of just existing. The day that judge gave me a new name, and a real father to love, and love me, is still the best day of my life!”

“By the same token,” I added, “that judge gave me the most wonderful gift, my very own son! The only thing I regret is that I couldn’t have had him from a baby. I missed out on him growing up, but I’m still thankful to have him, and he means the world to me.” I walked behind DJ, wrapped my arms around his neck, and kissed him tenderly on the cheek.

It was now 5:50 PM and a tall black man walked in the door.

Gloria yelled out, “Come on back, baby!” then, “DJ, will you turn off the ‘OPEN’ sign, secure the doors and get your draw”

“OK,” Gloria said, “while we’re all here, Jerry, this is Doug Kendall, our delivery driver and part time cashier, Doug’s son, DJ, and Cindy, both cashiers, Lois, our pharmacy tech, and this is Jamie, he is DJ’s boyfriend and works at the pizzeria across the way. Jerry is my boyfriend of six years, and I hope soon to be my fiancé, hint, hint.”

“Be patient, woman,” Jerry retorted, “I’m working on it!”

“Doug, did you run the tally on your terminal?” Gloria asked.

“No,” I replied, “I don’t know how to do that, but I counted the till down.”

“DJ, will you run the tally on station 2 for us, please, sweetie.”

“It’s 6:00 PM, we’re officially closed,” Gloria remarked, “I’m going to do something against company policy. I’m not doing recounts on your draws tonight. We’ll just put the tally strips with the deposits, separately, and lock everything up. DJ, if I need you to, are you willing to come out to my house Tuesday morning and pick me up?”

“Sure, Gloria, but I don’t know where you live.”

“It’s about 20 miles out. You have GPS on your phone?” DJ nodded, “OK, put my number in your phone, it’s XXX-XXX-XXXX, I will call you fairly early Tuesday morning if I need you to do this, and give you my address so you can find me. If this snow melts off by tomorrow night, Jerry can bring me down here to get my car.”

DJ, on our way out of the store, “Gloria, can I take one of these snow brushes with me, and I’ll pay for it Tuesday?”

“Go ahead, sweetie, and I trust you to remember.”

Cindy and Lois had already left, and had their cars warming up. They both lived within just a few blocks of the store. Gloria and Jerry climbed into Jerry’s 4X4 and took off. DJ started the Tracker and started to sweep the snow off while it was warming up. It was just a few minutes past 6:00 PM and we now had about 5” of the white stuff on the ground, and it was still falling.

I took the back seat and let the boys have the front. DJ and Jamie both fastened their seat belts. I don’t think Tracker’s are designed for old people, I know this back seat isn’t the most comfortable.

“Jamie,” DJ whined, “I’m scared, have you ever driven in snow?”

“Yes, you just need to take it easy, don’t gun the engine, and don’t spike the brakes. When you need to stop, or slow down, pump the brakes. If you go hard on the brakes, it will put you in a skid, and you lose control. Just try it a couple times, here in the parking lot where there is nothing much to run into. Just take it up to about 10 mph, and try stopping.”

DJ took off, nice and easy, shifted and was at 10 mph, Jamie told him to stop. DJ pushed out the clutch and brake, and the Tracker slid ahead and sideways.

“See, baby, you didn’t pump the brakes, and you went into a skid. Do it again, but pump the brakes.”

DJ gave it another try and did much better, pumping the brakes, and stopped without skidding.

“Great, now one more time, but take it to about 20 mph this time, and pump to a stop.”

DJ did as Jamie instructed, and brought the Tracker to a smooth stop with no skidding. DJ was smiling.

“You’re going to be OK, DJ, just remember, when on slippery pavement, pump down. Next stop, Applebee’s, just take it slow and easy, we’re not in a hurry, we just want to get there safe and without wrinkles on the Tracker.”

About 15 minutes later we pulled into Applebee’s parking lot, and parked right next to Seldon’s CRX. I showed DJ how to raise the wipers so they wouldn’t freeze to the windshield. DJ grabbed the package from under the old jacket in the back, and we walked in.

The manager met us at the door and informed us that they were closing early tonight, due to the snow. They had already closed the bar, and were asking folks to try and finish up by 8:00 or so, as he wanted to get everyone, including the staff, out by 8:30 PM. I told him that we had a 7:00 PM reservation for a party of 6, but I wasn’t sure what the name was that Joe had given. Looking at his chart, he asked if the name might be Seldon, and we said that would be correct. He led us to a table where Carl and Karen were already seated, and said our server would be with us shortly.

About two minutes later, “Hi, I’m Bryan, and I’ll be your server tonight. Were you informed that the bar is closed?”

“We’re here mainly to eat, Bryan, so no problem,” I said.

“Can I get your drink orders for non-alcoholic beverages?”

Carl and I ordered coffee, Karen a sweet tea, and both boys asked for Pepsi’s. Bryan said he’d be right back with our drinks, and invited us to check out the menu.

Bryan, returning with the drinks, and smiling, “I know you guys, DJ, Jamie, from school.”

“Of course,” DJ exclaimed, ”Jamie, you remember Bryan, Phil’s boyfriend.”

Bryan, looking down, “Ex-boyfriend, we broke up.”

“I’m so sorry, Bryan,” Jamie replied, “What happened?”

“I can’t talk about it now, it hurts too much! Can I take your orders?”

We all gave Bryan our orders, and he left to put them into the computer.

“Jamie,” DJ said, “he’s hurting bad, and it hurts me to see anyone hurting the way Bryan’s hurting. I thought he and Phil had it all together. I feel so helpless.”

“DJ, one of the primary purposes of the Rainbow Alliance is to offer support. Maybe we ought to make ourselves available for some support for Bryan. It’s a long time before the February meeting.”

“Excuse me a minute,” DJ said, as he headed to the front desk, picking up a couple of business cards, and returning.

“Dad, do you have a pen?” DJ asked.

I nearly always have one, and gave it to DJ. He wrote his name and phone number on the back of one card, and then handed the other card to Jamie, to do the same, then returned my pen.

Bryan delivered our food, and frequently checked up on us, he was a superb server. We finished our dinners, and Bryan carried off the dirty dishes, then offered us dessert, which none of us really desired, as we were stuffed. Bryan then brought the tickets, and lay them on the table.

Carl picked up the three from his family, piled them with his debit card, I picked up the ones from DJ and my self and laid my debit card with them.

When Bryan brought back the receipts, Carl signed the one and I signed the other and we both added appropriate tips. While we were signing the receipts, Jamie and DJ ganged up on Bryan, and asked if they could talk for just a minute. The three young men left the room.

“Bryan,” Jamie spoke, “you’re our brother, and we care about you, we don’t know what went down, but we know you’re hurting. If and when you need someone to talk with, or even just hang out with, we’re here for you.”

“Bryan,” DJ added, “we are your friends, when you need to reach out, here’s our phone numbers, we’re only a phone call away. And, by the way, you’re an excellent server. We’re celebrating tonight, Jamie turns 20 tomorrow.”

“Happy Birthday Jamie, and guys, thanks, it’s good to know I have friends like you two. I’ll be in touch, I promise.” Bryan smiled.

DJ and Jamie returned to the table, and Karen and I were in a conversation.

“But, Doug,” Karen stated, “there is no reason you have to go home tonight. You and Joe are not strangers, you’re family. You’re going to be at our home for Christmas anyway, what’s to worry about an extra couple people for breakfast.”

“Joe won’t break policy,” I said, “he insists that he has to secure his weapons if there are other people living in the same residence. It’s a safety thing, for everyone’s protection. I need to call Joe, anyway, he had planned to stop by here tonight, but evidently got held up and couldn’t make it.” I pulled out my phone, and hit the fast dial.”

“Hi baby,” Joe answered, “I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to stop by Applebee’s tonight, it’s just been one crash after another, all shift long, and we’ve still got two and a half hours to go. Are you all still at Applebee’s?”

“Yeah, but the manager is trying to get us out of here so he can go home. They’ve closed because of the storm. Karen and Carl want us all to spend the night at their house, and we’d be there for Christmas tomorrow.”

“I can’t baby, I have to go home to secure my weapons, you know what the policy is.”

“Joe, if Mike were to drop you off, at the Seldon’s, could he maybe take your weapons and secure them with his own, and then bring them back out tomorrow when he picks you up?”

“I don’t know Doug, let me discuss that with him, and I’ll call you right back in about 5 minutes.” Joe hung up.

The manager, coming to our table, “Folks, we appreciate your patronage, but you are the last customers here, we are closed, and I hate to push you out, but I need to, so Bryan and I can get out of here before the snow gets any deeper.”

“OK sir,” Carl said, “We’re leaving, and thank you for allowing your best server to take care of us tonight, Merry Christmas to both of you.”

“Thank you,” the manager remarked, putting his arm around Bryan’s shoulder, “he is one of our best. Merry Christmas to all of you.” Bryan was beaming, due to the last couple of comments.

Carl picked up the two still wrapped birthday gifts that Jamie had not gotten a chance to open, and we all headed to the cars. DJ opened the tailgate on the Tracker, and Carl lay the gifts inside. Carl and DJ both started the vehicles and then used snow brushes and scrappers to clean off the windows. My phone rang.

“Hi Baby.” I answered, “what’s the scoop?”

“Mike said he didn’t see anything wrong with that plan, so we should be at Jamie’s house about 11:00 PM. Mike wants to give Jamie a birthday hug.”

Great, Joe, so we’ll see you and Mike about 11:00.”

Karen is signaling that she wants to talk to Joe.

“Hold a second, Joe, Karen want to tell you something.”

“Joe,” Karen said, “Tell Mike to come in with you, I don’t have any doughnuts, but I’ll have some hot chocolate, and some homemade cookies.”

Joe, chuckling, “OK Karen, I’ll tell him, we might get him to stay for a few minutes, see you about 11:00.” Joe hung up and Karen handed me back my phone.

“Doug,” Karen suggested, “why don’t you ride back with Carl, I want to ride with the boys.” And so it was.

Carl, pulling out of the parking lot, “Doug, what do you think of DJ’s ride?”

“Well, I don’t think it would be my choice in a vehicle, and the back seat is horribly uncomfortable.”

Carl, chuckling, “Have you driven it?”

“Nope, it’s been many years since I drove a manual transmission, but DJ seems to have adapted well, and he loves that vehicle. I’m wondering why Karen wanted to ride back with the boys.”

“Doug, I don’t really understand it, but Karen has always had a very close relationship with Jamie, and it seems that relationship has now extended to include DJ. They both seem a lot more comfortable discussing some issues with Karen than they do me.”

“I’m fortunate, Doug, to have married a woman that has the ability to see things in a different light than I sometimes do. I wanted to nip this relationship between the boys in the bud, but Karen told me, and she was 100% right, that we needed to accept it, or we would lose our son, and that would have killed me.”

“I’ve come a long way, Doug, it took me a while to finally accept that our son was gay, but I have, and now, having gotten to know DJ, the two boys are nearly equal in my mind. Karen and I were discussing this a few weeks ago. Their relationship seems pretty strong, and if anything ever comes between them, we wouldn’t want to lose touch with DJ, because we love him, he is truly our second son.”


* * * * * *

“Mom, the back seat isn’t very comfortable in this Tracker, I’ll take the back and you can ride up front with DJ. Baby, just remember, take it easy and pump the brakes. Home, James!”
Both boys snickered.

DJ carefully backed out, and then drove them out of the parking lot toward the Seldon home.

Karen asked, “OK, what’s with this Bryan guy?”

“We really don’t know,” DJ answered, “he’s one of the boys in our club, and we thought he had a great relationship going with Phil. Their relationship started back in High School, and they’ve been boyfriends for several years. They were actually living together at Bryan’s parents house, and now he’s told us they’ve broken up.”

“That’s really about all we know,” Jamie added, “but we both realize he’s hurting real bad, and we wanted to let him know that we care about him, and will try to support him any way we can, and that’s why we gave him our phone numbers.”

“Jamie,” DJ said, grinning, “Just give him one of your kisses, and make him feel all better. You said he was a good kisser.”

“DJ!” Jamie blurted, “you know what that was all about!”

“But you were enjoying it, baby, too much,” DJ remarked.

“Somehow,” Karen stated, “I feel there is more to this story.”

Jamie and DJ told her about that meeting, and about the ‘kiss test’.

“I think I can relate,” Karen replied, “I think I’d be uncomfortable kissing another woman.”

“Not if you were a lesbian,” DJ remarked, grinning.

“But I’m not one,” Karen replied, smiling, “If I was, Jamie would have never happened.”

“I’m glad you weren’t,” DJ responded, “because I couldn’t picture my life today without Jamie in it!”

“You know,” Karen commented, “Having an awesome son brings a lot of pleasure to parents, and having two awesome sons doubles the pleasure.”

“Thanks, Mom,” DJ remarked, “we both love you and Dad, a lot!”

Carl and I arrived, and Carl pulled under the carport. We exited the CRX and Carl unlocked the back door and we were in the kitchen. We both removed our wet shoes and placed them on the boot tray, just inside the back door.

“I thought DJ was right behind us,” Carl lamented, “I hope they’re ok.”

“DJ’s inexperienced in this kind of driving, and probably drives slower than you do,” I replied.

“Well, if they aren’t here in five minutes, I’m making some phone calls.” Then, “whew, they’re pulling in now.”

DJ pulled in and parked right behind the CRX in front of the carport. They all got out, and DJ opened the tailgate. Jamie grabbed his unopened presents and DJ grabbed his boots. They all trudged through the now nearly 8” of snow to the back door, which Carl had already opened for them.

“Dad,” Jamie asked, “Can you please take these?” and handed the two packages to Carl, he carried them over to the table and set them down. Karen was the only one actually wearing some boots, both boys had soaking wet sneakers covering soaking wet socks, covering cold wet feet that felt like blocks of ice connected to their legs.

The boys removed their sneakers and set them on the boot tray and immediately went to their bedroom. They removed their wet socks and Jamie dug into the top draw and pulled out two pairs of dry socks, tossing one of them to DJ. Both boys wasted no time pulling on those dry socks, and they felt really good on their cold feet.

“DJ, are your pant cuffs wet?”

“Yeah, somewhat, are yours?”

“Let’s get these cold wet jeans off, and put on some sweatpants,” Jamie said, while digging into the bottom draw, “we even got a red pair for you!” The boys changed into the sweat pants, which were definitely warmer against their skin, than the dungaree material of their jeans.

Jamie shoved his hand down into DJ’s boxer-briefs and wrapped his fingers around DJ’s BBC. (that’s Beautiful Black Cock)

“Jamie!” DJ blurted, “what are you doing?”

Jamie, licking his lips and grinning, “Just checking the temperature, to see if it needs to be warmed up.”

DJ, snickering, “Jamie, you’re crazy!”

Jamie, raising his hand, “Guilty as charged, crazy over my boyfriend. I suppose we should go back to the kitchen and join the others, before they come looking for us.” They returned to the kitchen. It was 9:45 PM.

“You know, Doug, I should have checked out the tractor yesterday, and made sure it was in running condition. It’s still got the mower mounted, but I have a snow blower attachment for it.”

“That could be pretty useful, especially in this kind of weather,” I replied, “I wonder how much we’re going to get?”

Carl got up and went to the back door, turning on the outside flood lights and looked out.

“Carl, you may as well leave those lights on, Joe and Mike are supposed to be coming by about 11:00, and maybe they’ll get here earlier,” Karen said.

“Well,” Carl stated, “good news and bad news. The good news is that it has finally quit snowing, and we’re going to have a White Christmas, the bad news is that we have about 9 or 10 inches of snow out there. I hope the wind doesn’t come up, and start blowing this snow into drifts.”

“Jamie,” Karen queried, “aren’t you going to open your birthday gifts?”

“I sure am,” Jamie responded, “I just kind of got sidetracked, with the dinner, and snow and everything.”

Jamie opened the package from DJ first, and pulled the new jacket out. He opened it up and smiled, then put it on.

“DJ, it’s beautiful!” Jamie exclaimed, smiling, “I love it, I love it, I love it, and it’s blue, my favorite color too!”

“Jamie, make sure it fits ok, if not I can get it exchanged.”

Jamie, zipping it up and flexing his arms, “It’s perfect, DJ, and just in time for this snowstorm. I can tell it’s going to be warm, also.” Jamie walked over to DJ, and planted a juicy kiss on DJ’s lips, “Thank you so much, baby!”

Jamie hung the jacket on the hall tree and turned his attention to the rather thin flat package. Karen suggested that he remove all of the wrapping, first, as there may be a proper way to open the box inside. Jamie removed the wrapping and his face transformed when his eyes fell on the simple word ‘Dell’ that was printed on the box.

Karen was right, as Jamie rotated the box, one side stated ‘OPEN THIS SIDE’ and Jamie followed the instructions, opening that side and sliding the Laptop out of the box. Tears started to run down Jamie’s face.

“Honey,” Karen asked, “are you OK?”

“Mom, I’m a lot more than OK! Flabbergasted might be the more appropriate term. I really didn’t expect this. Can I assume that this is a combo, Christmas/Birthday gift?”

“Son,” Carl spoke, “your Mom and I were determined to keep your Birthday separate from Christmas this year. That is your Birthday present, you get your Christmas present tomorrow.”

Karen spotted lights reflecting off the snow and knew that Mike and Joe had arrived. She instinctively turned the heat back on under the pot of hot cocoa. About 2 minutes later there was a knock at the back door, and both Joe and Mike were standing there, Joe with a wrapped package in his arms.

Carl, jumping up and opening the door, “Gentlemen, come on in.” Carl took the package and put it on the table.

Joe, introducing, “Mike, this is Karen and Carl Seldon, Jamie’s Mom and Dad, and this is my patrol partner, Mike Smith. Mike, you know everyone else.” They all shared handshakes.

Jamie, “Joe, Mike, look what Mom and Dad gave me for my birthday!” Jamie pointed to the Laptop.

Joe and Mike checked it out and Mike picked up the box and was looking at the specs.

“It’s almost like mine,” Mike said, “It’s got a bigger hard drive and Windows 10 where mine has Windows 9.”

Mike stayed long enough to drink one mug of hot cocoa, and ate a few cookies. About 11:20 he said he needed to get home. Joe removed his weapons belt, and handed it to Mike, who then left and headed for home.

“Doug,” Carl said, “can I assume that you and Joe normally sleep together?”

“We do,” I answered.

“I think we’re about ready to crash. Karen wants to be up by 6:30 to start the Turkey roasting, and I need to be up fairly early to try and clear some of this snow. If you and Joe will follow me, I’ll show you to your room.”

“This house is a little weird, 4 bedrooms but only one bath. This first room on the right is our bedroom, the next is the boys room. Over here on the left is the bathroom, then one of the spare rooms, and the nicest one is straight at the end of the hall, so that would be your room tonight.”

I doubt anyone in the house was still awake after midnight. I think Joe and I slipped into dreamland within 15 minutes after we crawled into bed. The boys had already gone to bed before Carl even showed Joe and I to our room for the night, and Karen had gone to bed just before we did.

(to be continued……)

Comments are ALWAYS appreciated.
Coming in Part 15
Clearing up the snow
DJ and Jamie get a real surprise for Christmas
Christmas Day, DJ plays with little kids (Jamie’s cousins)
DJ gets a promotion
DJ and Jamie prepare for a trip
Copyright © 2019 Douglas Spencer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love the sense of urgency evoked by the snowfall: I can imagine everyone scurrying home not knowing how intense the storm might get. The stores and restaurants have emptied out (somewhat unsettling, and heightening the sense of urgency), while the roads seem littered with crashes (just ask Joe!).  

 

I'm glad we learn a bit more about Gloria:  She's nothing if not a people person.

 

We also learn more about Doug's character: He's willing to help Anthony and even intends to do it for free.

 

The boys, not to be outdone, put themselves out to make Bryan feel better. (Jamal, Bryan's single!)

 

And of course, the whole gang turns out to support Jamie for his birthday celebration.

 

I love this story because it has heart--loving characters who support each other--and an optimistic view. Thanks, Douglas, for making my day a bit brighter. ^_^

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Perhaps not the birthday party they planned, but in spite of the weather it turned out ok!    Bryan found out he has some friends he can talk to and that's important. 

Looking forward to the next chapter which I'm going to read now!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Im glad the boys did well with their finals grades, they have such a busy schedule what with work and classes, its good to see them making the most of their opportunities.

Looks like Gloria is another goody, shes open and honest with a heart of gold. Shes also clued up enough to work out the relationships going on around her, wasnt the least bit fooled by Randy and his housement hehe. Speaking of which, glad they got Justins old house so they can be closer to everyone. Im guessing they and Gloria will become regular features in the lives of DJ and family. 

Wonder what happened with Bryan and Phil....glad the boys are there for Bryan. Time for one more chapter tonite, thanks for this story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..