Jump to content
    Doug Spencer
  • Author
  • 11,511 Words
  • 2,710 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

DJ - 32. Chapter 32

Note: All sexually involved characters in this story are Eighteen years of age or older. There is a young, gay boy, 15 year old Fernando, who's father has kicked him out (which happens way too often in real life) and CPS (Child Protective Services) have placed him with foster parents, a married straight couple. There is no direct, or implied, sexual activity between Fernando and any other character in this story.

In Chapter 32

Fernando’s first softball practice

DJ and Jamie take Granny out for dinner

Randy and Daryl set their Wedding Date

Fernando receives Danny’s letter

Jamie takes Fernando shopping

Granny (Aggie) has a health problem

 

 

Monday morning, February 26th started out like any ordinary Monday. This is the day of Fernando’s first softball practice, and Fernie had no idea what time he might arrive home from school, as that would depend on what time Coach Fritton ended the practice session. Fernie and Liz boarded the bus at about 8:10 AM as usual, and sat together.

About 9:00 AM, Antonio received a phone call from Mary Stewart.

"Mr. Chevas," Mary spoke, "I’d like to do a follow-up visit today, would you and your wife, and Fernando be available, say, about 4:00 PM this afternoon?"

"We would be home," Antonio replied, "as we do not open the pizzeria on Monday’s, but Fernie has been accepted on the Boys Softball Team at school. We’re not sure what time he will be returning home from practice, as today is the teams first practice session."

"It sounds as if Fernando is adjusting to his new school," Mary said.

"I think he is adjusting very well to his whole new surroundings," Antonio stated, "and so are Maria and I, and enjoying parenting this precious young man every day. We’re glad we accepted the challenge. Maria and I were discussing this the other day, and we feel like we needed Fernando in our lives, maybe even more than he needs us."

"It’s been nearly two weeks," Mary said, "since I placed Fernando with you, and I really need to do a follow-up. I usually try to not work past 5:00 or 5:30 PM, but do you think Fernando would be there if I come by around 7:00 this evening?"

"I would think so," Antonio replied, "knowing that Fernie has practice today, Maria had planned on dinner tonight for around 6:00 or so, as we anticipate that he will be home by then."

"OK, great," Mary said, "look for me around 7:00 this evening, and I’ll see you then, goodbye for now," and she hung up.

* * * * * *

Monday morning, February 26th, in the Seldon home, Karen was up and starting to prepare breakfast for her three schoolboys. DJ and Jamie had gotten up and showered, and sat at the table, DJ nursing his coffee and Jamie sipping a glass of cranberry juice. Being a Monday, both DJ and Jamie were scheduled off from work.

"I know you guys aren’t scheduled to work today," Karen asked, "do you have any special plans for this afternoon?"

"We’re going to Dad’s house after class and have lunch with Dad and Joe," DJ explained, "and after they leave for work, Jamie and I plan to go to the GASC (Golden Age Senior Community) and spend some time with Granny. Maybe we’ll take her out for dinner this evening, and then we’ll be heading back to Dad’s for the night. I’m scheduled O/C tomorrow with Gloria."

Bryan came out of hibernation and had coffee and breakfast with DJ and Jamie, and was leaving later, driving separately to school today. DJ and Jamie’s first class was at 9:00 AM and his first class was at 10:00, but Bryan would be returning here after classes, and DJ and Jamie are going to DJ’s Dad’s house.

After breakfast, DJ and Jamie got dressed for school and Bryan headed into the bathroom to shower. Phil and Carl were both still sleeping. About 8:30 AM DJ and Jamie kissed Karen goodbye and headed to college in Jamie’s car.

When DJ and Jamie entered the school, DJ pointed out a flyer on the message board, announcing the next meeting of the Rainbow Alliance would be on Monday, March 5th, at 5:00 PM, and would be in the Student Lounge.

"We’ve been so busy," Jamie said, "we’d almost forgotten about the club, I guess we’d better plan to be there." DJ agreed.

* * * * * *

At 1:40 PM, at Carter High, the boys all headed to the locker room for Gym class, and were met there by Coach Fritton.

"Guys," Coach stated, "I want you fellows that are on the Softball Team to go to Study Hall, and I’ll see you on the diamond for practice at 3:15. It’s on the cool side today, and I don’t want you getting all sweaty from Gym class, then going outside for practice, and getting sick."

Fernando and all the other team members redressed into their outside clothes and went to Study Hall for the rest of the normal school day. At 3:00 PM most the softball team members headed to the locker room to change clothes for practice. Many of the guys donned fleece wear for practice, but Fernie and some of the others hadn’t brought anything to wear for practice, and just left their school clothes on. The team members then headed out to the diamond for their first practice session.

There are a total of 18 players, including the 6 returning team members. Coach Fritton divided the players into two teams of 9, with 3 of the returning members on each team, then naming them as Team A and Team B. Fernando was on Team B today.

"Guys", Coach Fritton said, "If you don’t have gloves, I suggest you get one before the next practice session, on Thursday. I have a crate of gloves here, that some of you can use for today. Regular school clothes are acceptable for practice, but I suggest you bring some active wear to change into for practice sessions, so you don’t mess up your good clothes. Don’t forget to bring the money for your uniforms by next Monday."

The coach then told each member on both teams which position they would occupy when on the field, Fernando was placed on Right Field. Team A was first up to bat. The first batter was walked after four ‘balls’ and the second batter drove a grounder just to the left of first base, and Fernie caught it, throwing it to the second base guy, but the runner made it to second and was safe, before the second baseman caught Fernie’s pitch.

At the bottom of the 1st, Team A was up by 2 and Team B was up to bat. The first two batters both struck out, and Fernie was the third batter. He hit a good one and sent the ball out past 2nd base, and made it to 1st base before the center fielder could pitch it to the 1st baseman, and was safe. It ended up being the only run that Team B scored in the 1st inning, and Fernie received some welcome slaps on the back from teammates.

They played 5 innings, and Team A beat Team B 5 to 4. Coach Fritton said that it was fine for the first practice, and he had confidence they would improve with practice. It was 5:15 PM when the coach called the practice session over, stating he’d see them all again Thursday.

Being a cool day, and none of the guys really worked up a sweat, none of them felt a need to shower. They just got changed and grabbed their backpacks, they were all on the activity bus about 5:40, and the bus arrived at Fernando’s street at just about 6:00 PM.

Antonio, when Fernie bounced in the door, "Welcome home, son, how did practice go?"

"Not too bad," Fernie explained, smiling, "I was on Team B, and we lost, 5 to 4, and I made one of the 4 runs that we got, Coach said he was confidant we’d all get better with practice."

"Dinner is ready and we need to eat," Maria stated, "Mary Stewart is coming for a follow-up visit about 7:00 PM."

Fernando ate and then went to his room to start his homework.

* * * * * *

Antonio, answering the door about 7:00 PM, "Hi Mrs. Stewart, please come in and have a seat." She did, and Maria came from the kitchen and joined them, Maria and Antonio sat on the sofa, Mary in a side chair.

"How is everything going?" Mary asked, "I haven’t heard from you."

"I thought you gave us your number to call, if we had any problems," Antonio replied, "and as far as I know, there have been none. I feel that we have adopted to each other very well."

"He has also adopted well to his new school," Maria added, "he’s even joined the Softball Team, and just got home from his first practice about an hour ago, just before dinner, he seems quite excited about it."

"So," Mary inquired, "where is the young man now?"

"In his room, doing his homework," Antonio replied, "do you want me to get him?"

"Please," Mary responded.

Antonio, knocking on Fernie’s door, and pushing it open a few inches, "Fernie, Mary Stewart is here and she wants to see you." He then returned to the sofa, and Fernando came into the living room.

"Hi Mrs. Stewart," Fernando greeted her, "how is everything going?"

"That’s what I’m here to find out, Fernando," Mary replied, smiling, "this is just a routine follow-up visit that we do, after placing children into foster homes, you’re welcome to sit down."

Mary pointed to the other side chair, but Fernando preferred to squeeze in between Maria and Antonio on the sofa. Antonio instinctively wrapped his arm around Fernando’s shoulder. Mary smiled, she could ‘feel’ the love that was flowing between these foster parents and their foster son.

"Have you all had any issues that we need to discuss?" Mary inquired.

"None that we know of," Maria commented, "Antonio and I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to parent this awesome young man."

"What about you, Fernando?" Mary said, "Is there anything you wish to address?"

"Maybe," Fernie replied, "but it’s not bad. This Mom and Dad have shown me things I’ve never experienced before, feelings of being respected, wanted, cared for, and mostly, loved. I’ve always felt that my real parents never loved me, or wanted me. I’m very happy living here, and I never ever want to go back to living with my real parents."

"Antonio, Maria," Mary said, "I need to speak with Fernando in private, is there someplace we can go, or could you leave the room for about 5 minutes?"

"Mrs. Stewart," Fernando spoke, "we can go into my room, and close the door." Fernando led the way and they went into his room. "What did you want to talk about, that you don’t want to say in front of my parents?"

"Fernando," Mary explained, "It’s unfortunate, but sometimes foster children are placed in homes, and the foster parents take advantage of the children in an improper way. Have either of them ever touched you or made inappropriate sexual comments to you?"

"Of course not," Fernando responded, shocked at the question, "I think they love me way too much to do something like that!"

"Okay, good," Mary replied, "but I think you know, I had to ask, for your own protection, that’s all I needed to know." They both returned to the living room.

"Well," Mary stated, "everything seems on the up and up, and it looks as if you are all getting along very well. You have my number if you have any problems, and here is my card for you, Fernando. Please call me if the need arises, and I’ll likely check with you again in about a month. You all have a good evening, I’m gone." Mary Stewart left.

"Dad, I have some needs I have to discuss with you," Fernie said.

"OK, you have my attention," Antonio replied, "let’s talk."

"There’s really about three or four things. I need my own glove, now that I’m on the team, Liz told me there is no place local that sells them, and I would need to check some of the larger stores in the city. I would like to get one before practice on Thursday, if possible. I also would like to get a couple pairs of activewear to wear for practice to keep my school clothes clean."

"There’s more," Fernie continued, "I’m going to need $45 by Monday to pay for my softball uniform, and if we could afford it, a new bike, to replace the one I had that I have no idea what my papa may have done with it."

"That’s a pretty long list, but some of it might be doable," Antonio remarked, thinking, "I’m pretty well glued to the pizzeria, except for Monday’s, but I might be able to talk Jamie into taking you to the city on Wednesday, right after school. He could help you pick out a glove, and some activewear, would that be OK?"

"That’d be great," Fernie replied, "Jamie is like a brother to me, and he treats me like his little brother, I like Jamie a lot."

"I’ll ask him tomorrow, and I think he will be happy to do it. I can get one of the other servers to cover his shift," Antonio said, "as for the $45, I’ll have it for you Monday morning. The bike might have to wait a while."

"I realize that’s a lot to ask for," Fernie said, "and you and Mom have done so much for me already. I’m going to finish my homework and get to bed, thanks, Dad."

"You’re welcome, Son, Mom and I love you a lot," Antonio stated, giving Fernando a warm and loving hug.

Antonio, after he and Maria went to bed, "Baby, I’m having second thoughts about a bike for Fernie. I know a decent bike will cost at least $150, maybe closer to $200, but our son is worth every penny of it, and he wants it so bad."

"I don’t think we have the extra cash for it right now," Maria stated, "but we could put it on our VISA card."

"If Jamie is willing to take Fernie to the city," Antonio remarked, "and I’m quite certain he will, we could also ask him to help Fernie pick out a bike too, and surprise the heck out of him." Antonio was smiling as he kissed his wife goodnight and they fell asleep.

* * * * * *

Monday morning Joe and I got up about 8:30 AM and were sitting at the table in our birthday suits, as usual, having coffee.

"Doug," Joe said, "this is Monday, won’t the boys be coming here after class today? They’re usually scheduled off from work on Mondays."

"You’re right, Joe," I answered, as I donned the apron and started to fry up some bacon and eggs for our breakfast, "I think I’ll cook up a big pot of Chili and some corn muffins for lunch, I know they both like Chili, and so do we."

Joe, grinning, "Especially YOUR chili, it’s still cool weather, and that will hit the spot, baby, and your homemade corn muffins always go down well. I can’t believe how attached I’ve gotten to both DJ and Jamie, and how much I miss them both when they’re not here. They seem to have developed a really strong relationship."

"I know," I said, "unfortunately, we have to share them with Karen and Carl, and I know they feel the same toward the boys. I think DJ and Jamie’s relationship is ‘Iron Strong’, just like ours. I anticipate that they will eventually marry, and maybe give us grandchildren." Joe smiled.

About 12:30 PM, Jamie pulled into the drive with DJ, and they both came into the house, giving both Joe and myself hearty and welcome hugs.

"Do I smell chili?" DJ asked.

"You’ve got a good nose, Son," I answered, grinning, "we can eat as soon as the corn muffins are done, they need about 5 more minutes." I set the pot of chili on a trivet in the center of the table, and we waited for the muffins to finish baking. When they were done, I put them on a plate and set them on the table, and we all sat down to eat.

"How is that young boy, Fernando, adjusting to his new surroundings?" Joe asked.

"He’s doing great, Dad," Jamie responded, "I think Antonio and Maria love him as much as they would if he was their own son. He calls them ‘Mom’ and ‘Dad’ and seems very happy living with them. He’s even joined the high school Softball Team, so I guess he’s adjusting well to his new school as well, DJ and I love him like he is our little brother."

"He is a fantastic young man," DJ added, "and we all think the world of him, everyone likes him, a lot."

"Since you guys are off today," I asked, "have you any special plans?"

"As a matter of fact," DJ responded, "we do, after we knock out our homework, Jamie and I plan on spending some time with Granny at the Senior Center, and maybe taking her out for dinner tonight."

Joe, smiling, "That’s quite thoughtful of you, and I’m sure she will appreciate it."

DJ, tearing up a little, "I have to, Dad, she is the only grandparent I have, and I know she’s old and won’t be around forever. I have to spend some time with her now, or I’ll regret it after she’s gone."

"She’s lived a pretty good life," Joe commented, "and she’ll be turning 84 on April 15th."

DJ, grinning, "I think April 15th is a good day to throw a birthday party."

After we finished lunch, Jamie and DJ disappeared into their room to tackle their homework, I put away the leftovers and piled the dirty dishes in the sink, and Joe took a shower and dressed for work. Then I followed suit, showering and shaving, and putting on my Southside shirt.

About 2:45 PM Mike Smith came by with the patrol car and picked Joe up to start their shift. I left for the store at the same time.

Jamie and DJ left the house about 3:30 PM and headed to the GASC to visit Granny. When they arrived, about 20 minutes later, they both had to register at the desk, and then were escorted to Aggie’s room. Aggie smiled broadly when she saw the two boys.

"Come here you two!" Granny exclaimed, "and give this old woman a kiss!"

Both DJ and Jamie gave Granny a welcome hug and a loving kiss on her lips. She then invited the boys to sit on the small sofa, and nestled her body in between them. She loves to be close to her grandsons, she also considers Jamie to be her grandson.

"How are Bryan and Phil doing," Granny asked, "and did Bryan’s parents ever come around to accepting them?"

DJ and Jamie explained that the boys are still living with Karen and Carl, and that Bryan still has no relationship with his parents. Then they explained about the situation with Fernando, and he is now in a loving foster home with Maria and Antonio.

"Why can some parents not accept their children’s sexuality," Aggie remarked, "Vic never really accepted Joe being gay, but he never considered kicking him out of his home, I would never have let him do that anyway."

"Granny," DJ asked, "have you ever eaten at the Hometown Café?"

"I’ve been there just once," Granny replied, "it’s a lovely place, Joe and Doug took me there for dinner one night right after I arrived here for their wedding. Speaking of weddings, have you two made any plans in that direction?"

"I think DJ and I share enough love to want to spend our lives together," Jamie answered, "we’re both only still 20, and we want to finish college first, and get on our feet, financially. We’ve still got over a year of college in front of us before we can even graduate."

"I can’t wait to see you two tie the knot," Granny said, "anyone that is around you very much can see that you two are very deeply in love with each other."

"Granny," DJ remarked, "I just can’t picture my life without Jamie in it, almost everything we do, we do together. Jamie and I would like to take you to the Hometown Café for dinner tonight. Are you available?"

"I am!" Aggie exclaimed, "I need to notify the staff that I won’t be eating here tonight because I’m going out with my grandsons."

DJ and Jamie had driven Jamie’s car, because it would be easier for Granny to get in and out of it rather that bring the Tracker. Granny rode in the passenger seat with Jamie, and DJ sat in the back. They all enjoyed a very pleasant and delicious dinner together at the Hometown Café, and DJ picked up the tab.

They returned Aggie back to the GASC about 8:00 PM, kissed her goodnight, promised her they’d come back soon, and returned to our house for the night. They actually spent almost 3 hours playing games on DJ’s PS, retiring about 11:00 PM, just before Joe got home from work.

* * * * * *

Tuesday morning, February 27th at 8:00 AM DJ’s alarm sounded. He slipped out of bed, headed to the bathroom to pee, and then to the kitchen to start a full pot of coffee. He has to open with Gloria this morning at 10:00 AM, and will be working until close tonight at 9:00 PM. He didn’t wake Jamie, as Jamie isn’t scheduled to work until 3:00 PM. DJ opted to not fix breakfast, planning to pick up some sausage and egg biscuits at Bojangle’s for himself and Gloria on the way to work.

Joe and I arose about 8:45 AM and after a trip to the bathroom, walked into the kitchen, greeted by the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. We poured mugs of the black liquid and joined our son at the table.

"How did your visit with Mom go yesterday?" Joe asked.

"Very well," DJ replied, "we chatted with her for a while, then took her to the Hometown Café and had an awesome dinner together. She says she can’t wait to see Jamie and me get married!"

"That’s my Mom!" Joe remarked, grinning, "I hope she is around long enough to see that happen."

"Me too," DJ replied, "I’m not anxious to lose my only grandma."

"Have you had breakfast yet?" I asked.

"No," DJ responded, "I’m picking up some sausage and egg biscuits at Bojangle’s for Gloria and myself." DJ gave his Dad’s a hug, and left about 9:20, arriving at the store at 9:55 with their breakfasts in the bag.

"Good morning, sweetie," Gloria greeted, as she unlocked the door," you brought breakfast with you?"

"For both of us," DJ replied, handing Gloria the cup of coffee he’d picked up for her, "I already had two mugs at the house."

Gloria disabled the alarm, and they sat at the table back by the pharmacy and ate together. Gloria thanked DJ for his thoughtfulness.

* * * * * *

Randy and Daryl woke up about 9:00 AM, ready to enjoy their Tuesday off together. Daryl made coffee and they both sat naked at the table, sipping their first cup.

"Baby," Randy remarked, "If we’re going to get married this spring, I think we need to set a date. I’m thinking it would be nice to have a backyard wedding, right here. We could probably borrow chairs again from Anthony at the pizzeria."

Daryl, looking at the calendar on his phone, "The conventional month for weddings is June, how about June the 9th, that’s a Saturday."

"It might be a little too warm for an outside wedding, maybe May would be better, and if we have it on a Sunday, more of our friends could probably attend," Randy suggested, "how about Sunday, May 13th, or 20th?"

"I like the 20th," Daryl admitted, "can we agree on that date?"

"Agreed!" Randy exclaimed, "we should be able to get that same lady minister that did the ceremony for Doug and Joe. I have her number, we probably should contact her, and see if she is available for that date."

"Go ahead, baby, confirm it before someone else grabs that date." Randy grabbed his phone, looked up the number and made the call.

"Hello," the voice answered.

"Pastor White?" Randy asked.

"This is she, how may I help you."

"Pastor," Randy explained, "Do you remember performing a wedding ceremony for our friends, Joe Reynolds and Doug Kendall back in January?"

"Yes," she replied, "I remember, why?"

"That same day, my boyfriend, Daryl Cartwright proposed to me, and I said yes! We’re trying to set a date for our wedding, and we would like very much if you would perform the ceremony for us."

"What is the date you wish to marry?" Pastor White asked.

"If you’re available, it would be Sunday, May 20th, and we’d like to have the ceremony in our back yard."

"Let me check my calendar," she said, "please hold on a minute." She returned about 2 minutes later, "I’m available for that day, do you wish to confirm it?"

"Yes, we would," Randy replied.

"I need a little information," Pastor White stated, "What are the names of the participants?"

"I’m Randall Shultz, but I go by Randy, and my fiancée is Daryl Cartwright."

"Do you guys wish to write your own vows, or would you prefer I use a generic set of vows for same sex marriages?"

"Let me ask my partner," Randy said, "I’ll be right back, I’m putting you on speaker phone so we can both hear you."

"Baby, do we want to write our own vows, or let her use a generic set written for same sex marriages?"

"Pastor White, this is Daryl, and I think it would be cool to write our own vows."

"That’s fine," Pastor White said, "I have the generic ones we can use if something goes awry, will you have a backup location, in case of bad weather?"

"I think so," Randy replied, "probably the pizzeria, where Doug and Joe got married."

"You guys will need to go to your county seat to register and get your marriage license, at least 30 days before the wedding date. What time do you want the ceremony to take place, and I will need the address of your house."

"It would be at 2:00 PM, and the address is (Randy gave her the street address)."

"Okay," Pastor White said, "That’s everything I need, please let me know if anything changes, and don’t forget to get your license before April 20th."

"We won’t forget that," Daryl said, "we’ve been looking forward to this event for a long time, it’ll be the happiest day of our lives!"

"I’ll see you then, "Pastor White said, "and may you both enjoy a life of happiness together, goodbye."

Daryl and Randy, in unison, "Goodbye Pastor."

Randy and Daryl fell into each other’s arms, and cried a river of tears, but they were tears of happiness, not sorrow. After May 20th they will truly belong to each other, forever.

After the ‘sobbing’ subsided, they both put on some clothing and decided to go to Denny’s for a late breakfast.

"Sweetheart," Randy spoke, "I’m wondering what our parents will say, when we tell them of our wedding plans, do your parents even know you’re gay?"

"I’ve never come out to them," Daryl replied, "they may disown me on the spot, some parents do that, when they find out their child is gay. At least I’m on my own now, and I no longer need any financial support from them. What about your parents?"

"I have no idea how they’ll react," Randy stated, "they don’t know I’m gay either, but I feel I need to inform them, I’m going to call Mom this afternoon and break the ice, and we’ll see what happens." Daryl and Randy finished their meal and went back toward home, stopping by the Southside Drug store on the way. Daryl accompanied Randy when they walked in. There were no customers in the store when they arrived, and both DJ and Gloria were back by the pharmacy.

"Randy," Gloria said, "this is your day off, why are you here?"

"We just wanted to share something with you guys," Randy replied, "Daryl and I have finally set a date, we’re getting married on Sunday, May 20th, and having the ceremony in our back yard. We’ve already made arrangements with Pastor White, the same lady that married Joe and Doug, and we can hardly wait for that day to arrive!"

"That’s wonderful!" Gloria exclaimed, giving Randy and Daryl both a loving and sincere hug.

"Bout time, boss," DJ remarked, smiling, "then you’ll be loving husbands, instead of just fiancées!" giving both men a warm hug, can we tell the rest of the staff?"

"I guess so," Randy answered, "they’ll know anyway, once we send out the invitations, I’m hoping I can get Justin to ‘borrow’ one of his employees and cover this store for a few hours that Sunday, so everyone here can come to our wedding if they wish." Randy and Daryl then went on home.

Randy, sitting on the sofa with Daryl, phone in hand, "Here goes, I’ll soon know if I’m an orphan!" Randy hit the speed dial and his parent’s home phone rang, his Mom answered.

"Hi Mom," Randy said.

"Well, hello Randy, it’s always good to hear from you, I hope there’s nothing wrong."

"I guess that would depend on perspective, Mom, are you sitting down?"

"I am now," she replied, "go ahead and tell me what’s up."

"Mom, this is quite difficult for me, did I ever tell you and Dad that I was gay?" Randy asked.

"No," Mom replied, "you never confided that information with us, but we’ve known that you are, and have known it for a few years, by the way, how is Daryl?"

"Daryl is just fine, Mom, and, well, we’re getting married on May 20th, Daryl is right here with me, is it okay if I put you on speakerphone?"

"Wow!" Mom exclaimed, "that’s quite a surprise, but if it’s what makes you both happy, we’re going to be happy for you! Sure, speakerphone is fine, then Daryl can hear our conversation."

"Mom, how did you know I was gay?" Randy asked.

"Honey," Mom explained, "we knew, even back when you were in high school, that you were probably gay. All the other guys were chasing after the girls, and all of the close friends you had were boys. Then, when you started college, you and Daryl were dorm mates. Whenever you came home, all you ever talked about was Daryl. Your father and I began to realize that you and he were a lot closer than just dorm mates."

"The weekend that you brought Daryl home put the icing on the cake. College aged boys would never be comfortable sleeping together, and we had a spare bedroom where Daryl could have slept, but you both wanted to sleep together. That’s when we knew for certain that you two were sweet on each other. Even just in conversation, we could see these ‘love’ glances that you two shared." Daryl is grinning.

"So, you’re not upset with me?" Randy asked.

"Of course not, Son. Even your father thinks that Daryl is a fine young man. (that comment made Daryl smile) Between college, and sharing an apartment together, you and Daryl have really spent several years together, and if you two care enough about each other to want to get married, who are we to intervene?"

"Mom, I dreaded making this call, and you sure lifted a lot of weight from my shoulders. Do you think Dad will be upset when he learns that I am marrying a man?"

"I don’t think so sweetheart, we’ve learned a long time ago to accept what we cannot change, and all we ever really wanted was for you to be happy. I think we’ll both be upset if you get married and don’t invite us to your wedding!"

"Don’t worry, Mom," Randy said, "You and Dad will be at the top of our list. I want to thank you and Dad for everything you’ve done for me, and I’ll expect to see you both at our wedding. I love you both very much. Bye for now."

"Goodbye Son, and thank you for calling." They both hung up.

"Wow, baby!" Daryl exclaimed, "I can’t believe how easily your Mom accepted the news of our marriage, or the admission that we are gay. I doubt that my parents have ever even suspected that I might be gay, and I have no idea how they might react when they find out. They’ll probably be ready to disown me, and I don’t have the balls to tell them just yet."

"It might not be that bad, sweetheart," Randy remarked, "Mom really surprised me, I had no idea that they knew so much about me, and us. Maybe your parents have known things about you that you didn’t know they knew. Today was the first I knew that my parents knew I was gay."

* * * * * *

Jamie walked into the pizzeria Tuesday afternoon about 3:50 to clock in for his evening shift from 4:00 to 9:00.

"Jamie," Anthony said, "I’d like to ask a big favor of you while Fernie is busy in the party room with his homework. Could you take Fernie to the city tomorrow afternoon after school to do some shopping? He needs some things that can’t be bought around here."

"Gee, I don’t know, I’m scheduled to work from 4:00 until 9:00 tomorrow night."

"I know that," Anthony responded, "I made the schedule, and I can get one of the other servers to cover your shift, and I’ll reimburse you for gas. Fernando will be getting dropped off from school about 3:30 and you could leave then."

"I guess I could," Jamie replied, "what does he have to buy?"

"The most important thing is a softball glove, since he is on the team, and he needs it for practice, as well as the games. He also needs to pick up two or three pairs of activewear to wear during practice, so his school clothes won’t get messed up. I figured you could help him pick out those things."

"That sounds simple enough, I’ll be happy to help him," Jamie agreed.

"Great," Anthony stated, "Oh, there is one other thing, but it will be a surprise. He wants a new bike really bad, but I’ve told him it might have to wait a while. Maria suggested we get it and put it on our VISA card. Don’t say anything about the bike until you get to a good store to buy it at, then suggest you and he check them out. I want to get him one he likes, but keep it under $200, and that can go on the VISA card."

Jamie, grinning, "So we get the glove and sweatpants, and then look at bikes, and if we find a decent one under $200 we go ahead and get it!"

"Yep," Anthony answered, "and that’s when he’ll know that he is actually getting the bike."

"Anthony, there is no way I can get a bike in my car. I think I need to swap cars with DJ, and take the Tracker to the city tomorrow. I know DJ will swap with me. I’ll just tell Fernie I didn’t have enough gas in mine."

"Jamie," Anthony said, smiling, "I knew you were a pretty smart kid when I hired you." Jamie grinned. Anthony really likes Jamie a lot.

* * * * * *

Jamie and DJ both got off at 9:00 PM and followed each other to Jamie’s house. While they were eating the snack that Karen had prepared for them, Jamie explained the ‘game plan’ to DJ.

"Jamie," DJ commented, "tomorrow is Wednesday, and I have to do the deliveries, because Dad is off on Wednesdays, that means that if we swap cars, I would need to drive yours to make deliveries."

"And I’d be driving your Tracker to the city and back. I’ll be putting 150 miles on the Tracker, and you’d only put what, maybe 20 miles on my car?"

"Yeah," DJ said, "but it’s for a good cause, and you know we’d do anything to help out Fernando!" Jamie nodded in agreement.

DJ had worked 11 hours, from 10:00 AM until 9:00 PM and was ready to crash. He and Jamie headed to bed and both boys were sound asleep by a little after 10:00 PM. Bryan came in about 10:30 and waited up until Phil got home, about 11:30.

 

* * * * * *

Antonio, Maria and Fernando arrived home about 9:30 PM Tuesday night, and Maria pulled the mail out of the box. It was, typically, mostly junk mail, but there was a letter addressed to Fernando.

"Sweetheart," Maria said, "you’ve got a letter." And handed it to Fernando. Fernie wasted no time in opening it, seeing the name ‘White’ on the return address.

The letter:

February 21st

Dear Fernando,

I was elated to receive your most welcome letter today. A couple of other guys said they would write me when they got out, but they never did, and you came through!

I am very happy that you were placed with such awesome foster parents. As much as I like pizza, I wish my parents owned a pizza parlor!

I am scheduled for release on Saturday, March 10th, just a week before my 17th birthday on the 17th. When I get home, we will actually live quite close together. My parents and I live on Plum St., which is only a couple of blocks over from Cherry. Living in the same neighborhood, I also attended Carter High until I was arrested, just a couple of days past Halloween. I was a junior, and I remember Liz Martin and Devon King, they’re both juniors also. In answer to your question, I came out to my parents almost 2 years ago, so they know.

I’ve lost so much time from school this year that I think it would be worthless to try to catch up now. I plan on starting my junior year over in the fall. I am hoping I can get a job for over the summer to try and save up some money to buy a car.

If you’re a sophomore now, you’ll be a junior next fall, and it’s quite possible that we could end up in some of the same classes, wouldn’t that be cool?

Yes, I would like very much for us to become friends, close friends, once I get outta here. Do you have a bike? There’s a park not far from where we live that has bike paths, and we could go riding together sometimes.

I was really happy to hear from you, and I think about you every day. If I can get this mailed tomorrow you should get it early next week.

Luv ya, Danny, XOXO

PS – I did want to kiss you goodbye, the day you left here.

* * * * * *

"Fernando," Maria asked, "I’m not trying to be nosy, but who was that letter from?"

"You’re not being nosy," Fernie replied, "it was from Danny White, he’s the boy I met in Juvie Hall, and became friends with. He was the boy that prevented me from being raped by some of those thugs that were in there. He was serving time for shoplifting, but he’s not really a bad boy, he just made a bad mistake. He’s getting released on March 10th, and I have suggested that maybe his parents can bring him to the pizzeria some night and have dinner. I like him a lot, and miss him a lot too. He only lives on Plum St, just a couple of streets over from us."

"Fernie, we need to be careful who you associate with," Antonio stated, "we don’t want you getting into trouble."

"I understand that, Dad, and I’ll be careful not to get into trouble," Fernando said, "I don’t ever want to see Juvie Hall again!"

* * * * * *

At 8:05 Wednesday morning Fernie and Liz were at the stop, waiting for the school bus.

"Liz," Fernie asked, "do you remember a boy named Danny White?"

"Oh, yes," Liz answered, "Poor Danny, he was a nice kid, and almost everyone liked him. One day, right in the middle of class, the police came into the room, and took him away. We never knew what he might have done, and he wasn’t a troublemaker, but we never saw him again. Do you know something about him?"

"Liz," Fernie explained, "for a while, after I was removed from my real parents home, I was held in Juvie Hall, and I met and became friends with Danny. He had shoplifted a candy bar from 7/11, and was sentenced to 3 months. He is getting released on March 10th, and I’m betting he’ll never steal anything again. I think 3 months is pretty heavy for a candy bar!"

"A candy bar!" Liz exclaimed, "that’s all he stole, and they gave him 3 months?" Fernando nodded his head. The bus arrived and all the students boarded and went to school as usual.

* * * * * *

DJ, Jamie and Bryan all returned home from classes about 12:30 PM and Karen had a nice lunch ready for them. Bryan was off, DJ had to be in at 3:00 PM to do deliveries, and Jamie wanted to be at the pizzeria to take Fernie to the city as soon as the school bus dropped him off, about 3:30 PM. DJ left for work with Jamie’s car about 2:30 and Jamie left with the Tracker about 3:00 PM.

Antonio, right after Jamie arrived, "Jamie, here’s $80, and that should cover Fernie’s glove and the sweatpants. Here is the VISA charge card, to pay for the bike, and the PIN is 4567 if you need it. Hopefully you two can find a nice bike for under $200, but don’t tell Fernie until you actually make the purchase, it might be a little more with tax."

Fernando walked in with his backpack, and headed to where Antonio was working, and told him a ‘Hi, Dad’.

"Hi Son," Antonio replied, "Jamie is going to take you shopping in the city, to get that softball glove and some sweats."

"Awesome!" Fernie exclaimed, dropping his backpack behind the counter, "let me go pee first, I’ll be back in a couple."

Jamie led Fernie to the Tracker and they got in and fastened their seatbelts.

"How come we’re taking DJ’s Tracker?" Fernie asked.

"Because my car didn’t have enough gas, and I thought you might like riding in his Tracker anyway," Jamie fudged, and Fernie grinned.

Fernie, about 5 minutes after they hit the highway, "Jamie, can I ask you a personal question?"

"I guess you can ask, I may not wish to answer," Jamie replied.

"Jamie, do you have skin, that covers the head of your penis?"

"Wow," Jamie replied, "that’s a weird question, but no, I don’t have foreskin, I was circumcised, as a newborn baby, why do you ask?"

"I do have that skin," Fernie replied, "but I wish I didn’t, I think boys look better without it."

Jamie, chuckling, "I never really thought about it. In gay lingo, being circumcised is called ‘cut’ and having the foreskin is called ‘uncut’, so I’m cut and you’re uncut."

"Did it hurt much, when they cut that skin off?" Fernie asked.

"I don’t know, Fernie, I was only a few minutes old, and if it hurt, I wouldn’t remember. Where is this going?"

"Well," Fernie explained, "If I could, I’d like to have my foreskin cut off, I’m wondering if it could still be done at my age."

"That would be something you would need to talk to a urologist about," Jamie said, "I have heard of adult men having circumcision, but most men just accept what they have, or don’t have."

"Why do they do, or not do, circumcision?" Fernie asked.

"There are a variety of reasons for both," Jamie explained, "sometimes it’s done, or not done, for religious beliefs, and many modern medical specialists believe that, with circumcision, it’s easier to keep it clean, and there is less chance of infection developing."

"Tell me about it," Fernie explained, "my father taught me, when I was about 4 years old, how to pull the skin back and wash under it, and it’s a pain in the ass, but I still have to do it! I’m not sure of the reason, but I know that most Hispanic boys are uncut, but I wish I had been cut!"

"Well Fernie, I know that you can have it cut, but you might have to wait until you’re 18 years old to have it done," Jamie said.

"Thanks, Jamie," Fernie stated, "you’ve helped me understand quite a lot."

Jamie, pulling off the exit ramp and driving into the Wal-Mart parking lot, "Fernie, Wal-Mart may have everything we’re looking for, let’s see if they have some softball gloves."

Jamie and Fernando made their way to the sporting goods department. They had what seemed to be a decent selection of baseball mitts, and neither Jamie nor Fernando knew what the difference was between baseball and softball gloves. They finally found an associate that worked in that department.

"What can I help you with?" the man asked.

"We were looking for Softball gloves," Jamie said, "but all we’ve found are baseball gloves, do you have any softball gloves?"

The man replied, grinning, "They’re the same, if baseball gloves are used to play softball, they become softball gloves, they don’t make gloves specifically for softball, which one of you is looking for a glove?"

"He is," Jamie said, pointing to Fernie.

"Are you right or left handed?" he asked.

"Right," Fernie replied.

"OK, we should have a glove for you, if you were a lefty, well, we don’t carry gloves for left handed people, as there are so few of them, and you would likely have to go to an actual sporting goods store. Young man, just try on some of these and see if you find one that fits comfortably."

"They’re marked, inside the glove," he explained, "with an S, M, L, or X, and I think you probably would need an S, your hands are rather small."

Fernando looked through all fifteen or so gloves and sorted out the four ‘S’ gloves. Even all four of the ‘S’ gloves didn’t fit the same, one was too small, one too big and the remaining two fit about the same, and felt right on his hand. They were all the same price, $33.77. He selected one and handed it to Jamie to purchase. Jamie placed it in the cart.

"Let’s go check out the activewear," Jamie said, pushing the cart with Fernie following, "do you wear boy’s or men’s sizes?"

"Men’s," Fernie replied, "I hope they have some small enough for me."

Fernie is looking through the piles of Fruit of the Loom flannel pants, they had S, M, L, XL and XXL, and had them in red, gray, navy and black.

"What color and size, Fernie?" Jamie asked.

"I kinda like the black and red ones, but most of the other guys wear gray, and probably size S," Fernie replied.

"Fernie, you don’t have to follow the crowd," Jamie stated, "but I would not buy red because the red dye tends to bleed. I had some red ones once, and when washed, they turned my white things pink!" Fernie grinned, and picked up a pair of black ones in size S.

"Go into the fitting room and try them on," Jamie instructed, "lets see how they fit."

Fernie, stepping out of the fitting room, "The waist is fine, but the legs are too long."

"I know how this material is," Jamie said, "the first time they’re washed, they’ll shrink, I think they’ll be fine. Do you want to get matching sweatshirts?"

Fernie instinctively pulled on a black sweatshirt in size S and it fit perfectly. He removed it, handing both the pants and top to Jamie to add to the cart.

"Don’t you think you might need at least two sets?" Jamie asked.

"Yeah, probably," Fernie answered, "but I think I’ll get the second one in gray." He picked those up and tossed them into the cart.

Jamie, looking at the athletic supporters, "How about a jockey strap?"

"Coach didn’t say we needed them," Fernie replied, "but some of the other guys wear them."

"They’re only $6.97," Jamie stated, "it’s better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it." Jamie selected one, in small, and tossed it in the cart. "Anything else you can think of that you need?"

"I’ve only got about 4 pairs of socks without holes in them," Fernie said, "I could really use a pack of them, but I wear boys size 9-11 in socks, men’s socks are too big for me."

They rolled the cart into the boys department, and added a six-pack of white crew socks to the cart, then pushed it toward the checkout. The total of everything came to $84.27. Jamie pulled out a $5 of his own money and added it to the $80 that Antonio had given him. The boys then headed to the Tracker with their purchases, ready to head home.

"Shoot!" Jamie exclaimed, "I forgot to get what I wanted for myself, let’s go check out the bikes!"

Jamie locked up the Tracker, and they both headed back inside, heading to where the bicycles are. They are both looking over the array of bikes that were on display. Fernie’s eyes fell upon a certain red and white 10-speed.

"Ooooh!" Fernie exclaimed, "that’s pretty, I can picture myself riding that one, maybe when Dad has the money, we can come back and buy one like that!"

"It’s pretty nice, I wish they had it in blue and white," Jamie lamented, "my favorite color is blue, but I think I will get it anyway. With a 10-speed, I’ll be able to keep up with DJ when we go bike riding together. Fernie, since I’m getting this new bike, I think I’ll give you my old one, it’s only a regular bike, one-speed, but would probably be better than no bike at all." Fernando nodded and grinned.

Jamie went to the associate and told him he wanted to buy that bike.

"I can’t sell you that one," the associate stated, "it’s a display model, and I would have to charge you a $25 assembly fee, but we have some in back stock that are still in the box, if you wish to assemble it yourself. The new ones, that are not assembled, also come with LED Headlamps and flashing LED tail lights."

"Fine," Jamie stated, "I think I’m capable of putting it together, ring it up."

"OK, it’s $179.97 plus $12.60 tax for a total of $192.57, cash or card?"

"Card," Jamie replied, sliding Antonio’s VISA card to pay for it.

"If you want to bring your vehicle to the front of the store, I’ll get the bike and bring it up to you, and help you load it, here is your receipt."

As the boys headed out to the parking lot, Jamie couldn’t help but smile, thinking, ‘what Fernie doesn’t know is going to make him very happy.’ They got the bike loaded, and were ready to head home. Before leaving, Jamie made a quick call, and Anthony answered his cell phone.

"This is Jamie, we got everything we came for at Wal-Mart, and we’re just leaving here now. I just didn’t want you to worry, we’ll see you in about an hour or a little more."

"OK, Jamie, thanks for letting us know, see you later."

It was about 8:00 PM that Wednesday evening when Jamie and Fernando returned to the pizzeria. Fernando got his bag of merchandise and carried it into the restaurant.

"Welcome home," Antonio said, "I’m betting you guys are famished."

"Yeah," Jamie replied, "at least I am, it’s been a long time since lunch, and I’m sure Fernie is hungry too." Fernando nodded.

"Son, why don’t you knock out your homework," Antonio said, "and I’ll prepare a pizza for you both."

"OK, Dad," Fernie replied, as he grabbed his backpack and went into the party room to study.

Jamie slipped behind the counter and handed Antonio the VISA card and the receipt for the bike. Antonio looked at the receipt and smiled, noting that it was under $200.

"Did the $80 cover everything?" Antonio asked.

"Pretty much, it was almost $85, but I covered the balance."

"Here," Antonio stated, handing Jamie another $20, "that covers the extra $5, and use the rest for gas. I really appreciate your help."

"I think we can leave the ‘big box’ in the Tracker, as it needs to be assembled. DJ and I have our longer school day tomorrow and neither of us are working, so we can put it together after we get home from classes tomorrow, and drop it off here Friday afternoon." Then, grinning, "I think some young man is going to be very happy! He thinks I bought the bike for myself, and he wants to get one just like it."

Antonio, grinning, "Nice cover-up, Jamie."

Jamie and Fernie were still sitting at the table when DJ walked in, at about 9:10 PM, and he downed the two remaining slices of pizza that Fernie and Jamie hadn’t eaten. Fernando took the dishes to the kitchen, and DJ and Jamie walked out toward their cars.

DJ, seeing the big box in the Tracker, "Jamie, what’s in the box?"

"Not too loud, DJ," Jamie replied, "it’s Fernie’s new bike, that he doesn’t know he getting yet. I told Antonio that I would get you to help me assemble it tomorrow, after our afternoon class, and drop it off after our classes on Friday."

DJ, snickering, "Baby, I love the way you volunteer my services, but you know I’ll be willing to help you assemble it. Can we put it in the garage when we get home?"

"Sure, just back the Tracker up to the door, and we’ll unload it," Jamie responded, as the boys traded keys, DJ going to the Tracker, and Jamie to his car, and they drove to Jamie’s house. DJ backed the Tracker to the garage door, and they carried the box into the garage.

DJ, after he and Jamie stripped and crawled into bed, "I thought you were just taking Fernie to the city to get things he needed for softball, how did you get the bike without his knowledge?"

"We got everything he needed at Wal-Mart, and he knows I got the bike, and actually picked it out, telling me how he could picture himself riding it," Jamie explained. "He thinks I bought the bike for myself though, and it is a pretty nice 10-speed, he’s gonna love it."

"Jamie, I’m worried about Granny," DJ said, "you know I do deliveries on Wednesdays, as it’s Dad’s day off. I had a delivery for GASC and I took a couple minutes to visit Granny, and she told me she wasn’t feeling well, and thought her blood pressure was too high. I told one of the staff, and she told me they would check on her and make sure she was ok, but I’m still concerned. I hope she not getting sick."

"I hope not, baby," Jamie said, "I’ve grown to love her too, and I feel like she is my Granny as well. DJ, I love you unconditionally, if anything goes wrong, I hope you know that I will be by your side, all the way."

Jamie and DJ usually cuddle up and fall asleep quickly, but tonight was different. Jamie held DJ close, and DJ’s head was on Jamie’s shoulder. Jamie could tell that DJ was crying, and he was feeling DJ’s pain. They finally both fell asleep.

* * * * * *

About 7:00 AM on Thursday morning, March 1st, Joe’s phone sounded. Joe stumbled out of bed and grabbed the phone, wondering who in Hell would be calling him at this hour of the morning. He answered the call, not recognizing the number.

"Hello," Joe said, "do you realize it’s seven in the morning?"

"I’m sorry sir," the female voice said, "but it’s urgent that I speak with Joseph Reynolds, is he available?"

"This is he," Joe replied.

"I need to be certain who I’m talking with," the voice said, "are you the son of Agatha Reynolds, a resident of the Golden Age Senior Community?"

"Yes!" Joe replied, concerned, "is something wrong with my Mom?"

"Sir, this is Stephanie, at GASC," she said, "your Mom had an attack about 10:30 last night, and we had to call 911. The first responders put her on oxygen, and transported her to the hospital in the city, and they believed she either had a heart attack or a stroke. Your number was on the top of the list to contact in case of an emergency. She was taken to the ER, and, I believe, admitted. That’s all the information I have. Anything more, you’ll have to get from the hospital."

"I’m sorry I snapped at you," Joe apologized, "I guess I should thank you for the NOT so great news. I’ll contact the hospital." They both hung off.

"Doug! Wake Up!" Joe hollered, with tears running down his face.

"What’s wrong Hun?" I asked, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"It’s Mom, she had a spell last night, and they sent her to the hospital, up in the city," Joe explained, "they think she either had a stroke or a heart attack, Baby, I’m scared shitless, I need to get up there!"

"Calm down, Sweetheart," I said, "let’s get a cup of coffee, and we’ll go there together, I’ll drive, you’re too upset to drive. We need to call DJ."

"He has school today, I don’t want him to get upset." Joe stated.

"Joe!" I exclaimed, "If we don’t tell him, and anything happens to his Granny, he’ll never forgive us, we have to call him." I went to the kitchen and started the coffee, and decided to call DJ while it was brewing, pressing the speed dial for him.

"Hi Dad," DJ answered his phone, "is anything wrong?"

"I’ve got some bad news, DJ," I said, "Aggie had a spell last night and she’s been taken to the hospital, up in the city."

"Nooooooooo!" DJ exclaimed, tears immediately flooding his face, "Not my Granny, I’m going up there."

"Hold on Son," I said, "Joe and I are going there shortly, and you’ve got school today, we’ll update you this afternoon, after you get home from class."

"Fuck school!" DJ retorted, "My Granny’s in the hospital and I’m going up there!"

Karen was a bit surprised, she’d never heard DJ use that word before.

"Wait, Son," I remarked, "if you insist on going to the hospital this morning, there's no sense in taking two cars, just come home and you can ride with Joe and me. We’ll be leaving in about an hour, after we’ve had some coffee and breakfast."

"OK Dad," DJ said, "we’re just ready to eat now, so I’ll be on the way home in about half an hour, at the most." DJ laid down the phone.

"What happened to Aggie?" Karen asked.

"We don’t know for sure," DJ said, "the ambulance crew thought she either had a heart attack or a stroke, I guess I’ll find out after I get to the hospital."

"Correction, baby, "Jamie said, "WE’LL find out after WE get to the hospital. I hope you don’t think I’m going to let you travel that road by yourself, do you?" Jamie, smiling, gave DJ a hug, and kissed him on the cheek. It only served to reinforce Karen’s realization as to just how strong the love is between these two young men.

The boys left the Seldon house, and drove to our house in DJ’s Tracker, then we all got into Joe’s Taurus, and I drove us to the city, Joe sharing the front seat with me, and the boys cuddled together in the back seat.

Once we arrived at the hospital, we all entered, and I let Joe handle the lady at the information desk. He informed her that we are all Agatha’s family, her son’s and grandson’s. She had been transferred to the CICU (Coronary Intensive Care Unit) and she told Joe where it was located.

Once we arrived at the CICU, Joe asked to speak with the doctor in charge, and she told us to have a seat in the waiting room and she would get him to talk to us. He arrived shortly.

"I’m Doctor Ayles," he stated, "which one of you is related to Agatha Reynolds?" We all stood up. Dr. Ales looked a bit confused.

"Doc," Joe explained, "we’re a rather unique family. I’m Joe Reynolds, Aggie’s son, and this, pointing, is my husband, Doug Kendall, our son, and Aggie’s grandson, DJ, and his boyfriend, Jamie Seldon. Aggie considers Jamie also her grandson, as DJ and Jamie have been dating for the last year and have plans to eventually marry. We’re a rather close knit family."

Dr. Ayles, grinning, "I detect a little gayness here, are you two actually married?"

Joe explained, "That’s how Mom ended up here, she had lived in California, and came here for our wedding in January, and then decided to stay here, close to our family." Doc smiled. "Doc, what is Mom’s actual condition?"

Doctor Ayles, looking at the floor, "I don’t want to build your hopes too high, it’s not looking too good. She had a blood clot in her heart, which was removed during emergency surgery shortly after she was brought in last night. Her heart muscles are very weak. It’s possible that she could make a full recovery, but I suspect that her days are numbered. She will need to be hospitalized for at least a couple of weeks, then transferred to a care center for a few weeks."

DJ, tears trickling down his face, "Doc, we have to save her, she’s the only grandparent I have!"

"I’m sorry, son," Doc said, "we’re doing everything we can to help her recover." Then turning to Joe and me, "Are one of you DJ’s biological father?"

"No, Doc," I answered, "but last fall I legally adopted him, so he is 100% my son, and since Joe and I married, he is 100% Joe’s step son."

DJ, smiling a little through his tears, "I have no love or respect for my former family, but I now have the two greatest Dad’s that a young man could ever hope for!"

"What make things really cool," Jamie added, "is that both DJ’s two Dad’s and my Mom and Dad all accept our relationship, and love us like they do. DJ and I have two homes, and we flip back and forth, sometimes we stay at DJ’s house, and sometimes at mine."

"You may go in and visit her," Doc said, "but keep it short, we need her to rest as much as possible, and please, just one visitor at a time."

"Hi Mom," Joe said, walking into her room.

"Hi Son," she replied, "thanks for coming to see me, where is Doug?"

"He’s outside, in the waiting room," Joe said, "we’ve been asked to visit you only one at a time."

"Is DJ with you?"

"Yes Mom, he and Jamie are both out here."

"Oh, that’s wonderful, they’re such sweet lovable boys, and so much in love with each other, they’ll make wonderful husbands and fathers, once they get married. Joe, I want to see them both together, I have something I want to share with them."

"Mom, you’re limited to having only one visitor at a time, hospital rules," Joe stated.

"Fudge!" Aggie exclaimed, "While Doug comes in to see me, go see if they can’t bend that rule, I really want to see my grandsons together."

Joe did as his Mom requested, and the nurse at the desk said she guessed that she could honor Mom’s request, and let her see her grandsons both together. Joe returned to the waiting room, and told DJ and Jamie that Granny wanted to see them together, after Doug’s time with Aggie had expired.

"Doug," Aggie stated, "all you and Joe really have is each other, you both need to care for each other, there’s no one else to care for you. I hope you both know how much I love you both."

"Mom, we both love you too, and all we’re hoping is that you get better soon, and come back home. I’m leaving you, for now, so that DJ can get some time with you." I kissed her goodbye and left the room. DJ and Jamie were waiting by the door and when I walked out, they entered her room immediately, and stood by her bed.

"Just because I’m stuck here with all these things attached to me," Granny said, "doesn’t mean you can’t give this old lady a kiss!"

"Sorry, Granny," DJ said, as he leaned over and planted a loving kiss on her lips. DJ and Jamie swapped places, and Jamie also gave Granny a loving kiss on her lips. DJ was holding on to Granny’s hand.

"Jamie," Granny said, "I’m holding DJ’s hand with my left hand, please come around to the other side of the bed so I can hold your hand with my right hand." Jamie complied, smiling.

"There," Granny said, "now I have both of your hands, and I want to explain how money and love have something in common. Quite often, parents give their children money, maybe as an allowance. If the parent didn’t give them money, they couldn’t go to the store and spend it, could they?"

"So how does this relate to love, Granny?" DJ asked.

"Simple," Granny explained, "if children aren’t given love, they have no love to pass on to anyone else. Vic and I gave Joe lots of love while he was growing up, even though, after Joe came out, Vic didn’t give him much more, but I doubled up, and he still got plenty, and now he is able to pass some of that love on to you and Jamie."

"I’m quite certain that Doug’s parents gave him lots of love, and he has passed much of it on to you, DJ. Karen and Carl loved you from birth, Jamie, so you received that love growing up, and you have it now to share with DJ. You boys may not be rich, but you’ve been blessed with love, at least from your current parents, and when you two get married, and have children of your own, you will have the love to pass on to them."

"I’ve never heard that before, Grandma, but I think you may be right," DJ said. "When I was growing up, I felt that no one cared anything about me, I was unwanted, insecure, and unloved, until Dad took me under his wing. He loved me enough to adopt me, legally. The day that judge said I was his son, and he was my Dad, was the happiest day of my life."

"Granny," Jamie said, "the happiest day of my life will be the day we stand at the alter and say ‘I do’ to each other. We have a lot of things we want to do before that day, we want to graduate from college, and have secure employment, and be able to support our own home."

"Granny," DJ said, "I think we’ve had more than the allowed five minutes with you, and we need to leave. We’ll be thinking about you, and I promise we’ll be back in a few days to see you. We both love you, a lot." DJ leaned over, taking both of Granny’s hands and kissed her, lovingly. Aggie smiled. Jamie followed suit, and the two boys left the room.

Shortly after we left the hospital, I pulled into a Cracker Barrel and treated us all to dinner. We kept the conversation light on the way home, Jamie told us how he tricked Fernando into picking the bike he really wanted, and DJ reminded him that they still had to assemble it this afternoon after they get home.

(to be continued…….)

Thanks for reading, comments are ALWAYS welcome!
Ahead in Chapter 33
Fernie ‘breaks in’ his new activewear
Fernando gets his bike
Fernie and Liz go biking in the park
Jamal’s father initiates the new grill
Rainbow Alliance has their Mar. meeting
Granny’s life is hanging on a thread
Copyright © 2019 Douglas Spencer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor granny, if anything happens to her the family will be devastated. The chapter started out so well then things went downhill fast. Im a little annoyed that GASC didnt contact Joe immediately instead of waiting till next morning. I think we are all hoping for the best.

Im happy for Randy that his phone call to his mom went well. I hope Daryl will fare just as well when he makes a similar call to his parents.

I can definitely see Antonio and Maria adopting Fernie.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..