Jump to content
    Doug Spencer
  • Author
  • 8,959 Words
  • 1,623 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

DJ - 34. Chapter 34

Note: All sexually involved characters in this story are Eighteen years of age or older. There is a young, gay boy, 15 year old Fernando, who's father has kicked him out (which happens way too often in real life) and CPS (Child Protective Services) have placed him with foster parents, a married straight couple. There is no direct, or implied, sexual activity between Fernando and any other character in this story.

In Chapter 34

Liz asks a BIG favor of Fernando

The Rainbow Alliance’s March meeting

DJ and Jamie visit Granny at the hospital

* * * * * *

At 7:00 AM on Monday morning, March 5th, Maria is preparing breakfast for her family. Antonio is at the table, sipping his first cup of coffee. About 7:20 he went into Fernie’s room to arouse him, and he came to the table about 7:30, dressed for school. Fernie had already packed his gym bag, as he had both Gym and softball practice today.

Antonio asked, "Isn’t this the day you need to pay for your uniform?"

"Yeah, it is, I almost forgot," Fernie replied. Antonio handed Fernie $50. "Thanks, Dad, but it’s only $45."

"Don’t you need some lunch money?" Antonio asked.

Fernie, smiling, "Yes, I’m about out, Thanks, Dad, Oh, I have practice today so I won’t be in till around 6:00."

A couple minutes after 8:00 Fernie grabbed his backpack and gym bag and headed out the door to meet Liz at the stop. The bus gobbled them up at 8:10, and he and Liz shared their common seat.

"Fernie," Liz asked, "do you know Ronnie Price?"

"I don’t know," Fernie replied, "the only Price I know is a pitcher on the softball team, but I don’t know his first name. Is he tall and slender, about 6’ and wears a dark brown flat top with longish hair on his neck?"

"That sounds about right," Liz said, "I was hoping you could try to get a little information from him."

"Maybe, what do you want to know?" Fernie asked.

"This is kinda awkward," Liz admitted, "I want to know if he has a girlfriend, or if he is available?"

"Why?" Fernie asked.

Liz, giggling a little, "Because I think he’s a dream, and I’d love to have him date me."

"Oh, so you want me to play cupid, huh?" Fernie said, grinning, "I’ll see what I can do, maybe I can catch up with him in the locker room after practice today."

"Thanks, Fernie," Liz said, "you’re a real friend."

Sixth period rolled around and Fernando and most of the other high school boys headed to the boys locker room to change for gym class. At 2:55 Coach announced that it was shower time, and they all headed to the boys locker/shower room and started to strip. Fernie tried to inconspicuously check out the other boy’s packages to see if any other boys were uncut. He did notice that about 3 others in his gym class were uncut, and started to feel less obvious.

Several of the boys, including himself, showered, dried and put on their practice gear for softball. Fernie sat on a bench to put on his socks and shoes, and Price sat next to him. Here goes!

"Is your first name Ronnie?" Fernie asked.

"It’s Ronald, actually," Price said, "but some call me Ron or Ronnie, and what is your first name?"

"Fernando," Fernie said, "but some call me Fernie."

"Fernie Gomez," Price said, extending his hand, "Ron Price." The two shook hands. "Somehow, I think complete first names are—I don’t know—too proper. Ronald is too proper, Ronnie is what I was called as a kid, and Ron is what I prefer now. I think Fernie sounds much better than Fernando. Coach says he’s training you to be my backup pitcher, so we’re gonna be working a lot together, welcome aboard!"

"Ron," Fernie asked, "Do you have a girlfriend?"

"I did have," Ron replied, "but we broke up about two, no, three weeks ago, why?"

"There is a girl that’s a close friend of mine, and she wants to know if you’re available, and she asked me to try and find out. Ron, she told me she’d love to have you date her."

"Fernie, I’m interested, but we need to get out to practice right now, we’ll talk later." Ron and Fernie headed out to the diamond.

* * * * * *

About 7:30 AM DJ, Jamie and Bryan were having breakfast, planning on leaving for campus about 8:15. DJ and Jamie have their first class at 9:00 AM, Bryan’s first isn’t until 10:00.

"Hey guys," Bryan commented, "we have a club meeting today at 5:00 PM, I made sure I wasn’t scheduled to work tonight, but we won’t be back home until probably around 6:30."

"Bryan," DJ stated, "I think we should drive separately today, then Jamie can ride back from the meeting with you. I’m just not prepared to attend the meeting today, and you guys can kinda give the club members a little heads-up, about my Granny’s condition."

"No way, Baby!" Jamie exclaimed, "Bryan, please inform the members of our situation, but I’m not leaving DJ’s side until we’re over this crises. We’re both canceling the meeting today."

"DJ," Karen commented, "maybe you should consider going to the meeting today, it might get your mind off Granny for a little while."

"I can’t Mom," DJ said, shaking his head, "I’m just not up to it!"

"Mom," Jamie stated, "DJ and I are going up to visit Granny tomorrow, and Randy told DJ yesterday that he would find a way to cover his shift, even if he has to give up his day off and cover it himself."

"That’s quite considerate, on Randy’s part," Karen said, "and it shows that Randy has a lot of empathy for you, DJ."

"Since I’m driving separately today," Bryan said, "I don’t need to leave until about 9:30. I’m going to wake Phil up now. With his work schedule, most of the time we spend together is sleep time, and I don't think Phil is up to date on Granny’s condition."

DJ and Jamie kissed Karen goodbye, and headed off to campus, and Bryan went to his room to wake Phil. Phil pulled on his boxers, and joined Karen and Bryan at the table, sipping his coffee. Bryan and Karen explained Granny’s condition to Phil.

"Oh my God!" Phil exclaimed, "Just in the couple of weeks that I was close to her, I grew to love her a lot, she is such a sweet old lady. I feel a lot of compassion for DJ and Jamie, I know they are both very attached to Granny, and I hope and pray that Granny pulls through."

"Baby," Bryan said, with tears escaping his eyes, "Jamie and DJ are going to visit her tomorrow, I hope it’s not the last time they see her."

It was about 9:30, Bryan gave Karen a kiss on her cheek, and shared a romantic kiss and hug with his boyfriend, and left for campus.

* * * * * *

At lunchtime, Fernie broke the $50 bill that his Dad had given him that morning when he paid for his lunch, and then went to the Coach’s office and gave Coach the $45 for his uniform.

The softball team had a good practice session today. Fernie and Ron shared the pitching, both on the ‘B’ team, and Fernie even caused one of the ‘A’ team player’s to strike out. The team all returned to the locker room to change and prepare to catch the activity bus to go home. Ron elected to share the seat on the bus with Fernie.

"Fernie," Ron asked, "who is this girl that has an interest in me, what’s her name?"

"Liz Martin," Fernie replied, "do you know her?"

"I don’t really know her," Ron said, "but I know of her, she is one of the basketball cheerleaders, and she is kinda pretty, can you give me her number?"

"I could, but I won’t," Fernie replied, "not without asking her permission, I’ll get in touch with her tonight, or in the morning, and if she says it’s OK, I’ll give it to you tomorrow."

"Fair enough," Ron replied, smiling, "I definitely would date her."

The bus dropped Ron off at his house, before arriving at the street where Fernie lived. Ron has come off to Fernie as a pretty nice dude and Fernie likes him, as both a teammate and a potential friend. He is about 110% certain that Ron is straight, and Ron is also a senior. Monday is the only day that Fernie goes home, as the pizzeria is closed.

* * * * * *

Jamie and DJ, after their 11:00 AM software class ended, headed to our house, as they normally do on Mondays, arriving shortly after 11:30. They had picked up a sub at WAWA to share, and sat at the table. Joe and I were still wearing Mother Nature’s pajamas, and had just finished breakfast, more likely, brunch.

"Are you boys still planning to go to the hospital tomorrow?" Joe asked.

"Yeah," Jamie replied, "we’ll probably leave around 9:00 or 10:00, after we have breakfast, we want to spend as much time with Granny as the hospital will allow."

"I know it’s asking a lot DJ," Joe said, "but try not to let Mom see you crying, she adores your patented smile, try to wear it when you see her, it might just help her to recover."

"Dad," DJ replied, "I’m just so scared that I’m going to lose my Granny, but I’ll do my best to give her that smile." DJ smiled, weakly.

After the boys finished the sub, they grabbed their backpacks and headed to their room to do their homework, closing the door behind them. Joe was pleased that they closed the door.

"Doug," Joe stated, "in view of the probability of Mom’s passing, we need to consider how we’re going to handle it."

"Joe," I said, "would you want to ship her remains back to California, or her ashes, if we had her cremated?"

"That’s not a viable option," Joe replied, "considering the only family that she has that gives a damn is here. Have you considered that maybe we should get a cemetery lot here, with 3 spaces, one for each of us and one for Mom. It would take quite a load off from DJ, when one of us passes on, and if she is buried here, I feel that DJ would want to visit her grave frequently."

"Joe," I suggested, "neither of us are scheduled to work until 3:00 tomorrow, while the boys are gone to the city, we could check out the cemetery here, and gather some options to weigh."

"That sounds like a workable plan," Joe replied, "and we are both working today at 3:00, so we probably should start getting ready. I’ve informed the Captain about Mom’s condition so he is prepared to give me some bereavement time, and I also shared that information with Mike on Sunday."

"I’m betting," I said, "that the boys have not even thought about having any sex, since Mom had her attack."

Joe, grinning, "I wouldn’t bet on that, Doug, I think that’s a given! Sex has not been at the forefront of our minds either."

* * * * * *

Shortly before 5:00 PM the Rainbow Alliance members were gathering in the Student Lounge for their March meeting. Bryan asked Sandy to please give him a few minutes to tell the members of DJ and Jamie’s situation, with DJ’s Granny in the hospital.

Sandy called the meeting to order, and gave Bryan a few minutes to share DJ’s pain with the group. They reopened old business, with the discussion of having a picnic. One of the members was to reserve the large pavilion at the park for Saturday, April 7th, 14th. Or 21st, depending on what date might be available. All the members were to bring a $5 donation to their April meeting, on Apr 2nd to pay for food. The money would be turned over to Jamal and Rusty, and they would order it from the Deli at the supermarket and bring it to the park about noon on the day of the picnic.

Sandy spoke, "I’d like to offer my thoughts, before we adjourn this meeting. As a club, we formed it to be a support center for the LGBT community here on campus. DJ and Jamie are currently experiencing a very dark period in their lives, and even though it is not an LGBT issue, we still need to lend our support to our much loved brothers."

The meeting was adjourned, and the members started to disperse. On the way out to the parking lot, Rusty and Jamal confronted Bryan.

"Bryan," Jamal asked, "do you have Rusty’s and my phone numbers?"

"No, I never figured I needed them," Bryan answered.

"You might not, but then you might," Jamal said, "Open your contacts and give me your phone, and I’ll add them." Bryan did as Jamal asked. "We’re very sorry to hear about DJ’s Granny, and we hope for the best. Rusty and I consider DJ and Jamie to be two of our best and closest friends. If there is anything, and I mean ANYTHING, that we can do to help them, please don’t hesitate to let us know. You have our numbers, please pass them on to DJ and Jamie, along with our offer to help them, if we are needed."

"I will do that, Jamal," Bryan said, "DJ and Jamie are going to the hospital tomorrow to visit Granny, and I just have this terrible feeling that it will be the last time they see her, alive. If she doesn’t make it, I think DJ will fall apart, he and Granny have such a close and special relationship! Thank you, Jamal."

"Bryan," Jamal said, "I sincerely hope that your feeling is false, but please keep us posted, we really do care." Jamal and Rusty both gave Bryan a hug, and they all headed to their cars. Bryan was returning to the Seldon home, and, being a Monday, DJ and Jamie would be spending the night at our house.

* * * * * *

It was just about 6:00 PM when Fernando exited the activity bus and walked toward the house, smelling a pleasant aroma. He headed to the back yard and found Antonio grilling chicken on the gas grill.

"Hi, Dad," Fernando said, "the smell coming from this back yard is enough to make anyone hungry!"

Antonio, smiling, "Maria was planning to fry chicken for dinner tonight, but it was such a nice, warm day that we decided to grill it instead. It’s warm enough that we can actually eat at the picnic table."

"I think you know," Fernie said, "I like chicken cooked most any way." He walked in the back door, stopping by the washer, and dropped his towel, sweats and gym wear into the hamper, then carried his empty gym bag and his backpack to his room. He then returned to the kitchen, where Maria was preparing the rest of dinner.

Fernie, giving Maria a hug and kiss, "I used to hate coming home from school, but now I look forward to coming home, to people that make me feel welcome and wanted."

"Sweetheart," Maria responded, "we want you to feel welcome, wanted and loved, honey, would you take those plates and silverware out to the picnic bench for me? Dinner will be ready soon."

"Sure, Mom," Fernie replied, smiling, picking up the plates and flatware. He then returned and took out the condiments, then came back and got the bowl of potato salad.

A few minutes later, Maria handed Fernie a platter to take out to Antonio for the chicken.

Fernando, about the time they were finished with dinner, "Mom, Dad, do you think that one of these Monday evenings we could have a cookout, and invite the Martin’s to share dinner with us?"

Antonio, looking at Maria, "I think that a great idea, Fernie, you and Liz are almost inseparable, and it would give her parents and Maria and I a chance to get to know each other better. We’d need to plan ahead to have enough food to feed six instead of three." Maria nodded in approval and Fernie grinned, ear to ear.

While Maria put away the leftovers and cleaned up the dishes, Fernie headed to his room and tackled his homework. About 9:00 the three of them enjoyed hot cocoa, and Fernie headed to bed. Before climbing in, he put his phone on the charger and set it on the bedside table. Fernie had only been in bed for about 10 minutes when his phone rang, and it was Liz.

"Hi, Liz," Fernie answered, "what’s up?"

"I was hoping to catch you before you went to bed," Liz said.

"Well, I just went to bed, but I’m not asleep yet," Fernie said.

"I just was wondering if you had a chance to talk to Ronnie today?"

"I did," Fernie said, "and I might have some good news for you."

"Really?" Liz replied, "what did he tell you?"

"He said he broke up with his girl about three weeks ago, and he would like to date you. He asked me for your phone number, and I told him I would not give it to him without your permission."

"Oh, thank you Fernie, can you call him and give him my number?"

"No," Fernie said, "I don’t have his number, but I can give your number to him tomorrow at school. I probably should tell you, he doesn't like to be called ‘Ronnie’, he prefers to be called just ‘Ron.’"

"Thank you so much, Fernie. I hope he calls me for a date, and if he does, you’ll be the first to know! Sleep tight, and I’ll see you in the morning." They both hung up, and Fernie fell asleep soon after.

* * * * * *

On Tuesday morning, March 6th, the alarm sounded waking Joe and me up at 7:30 AM. We wandered into the kitchen and I started a full pot of coffee to brew. We were both aware that DJ and Jamie wanted to leave by 9:30 or 10:00 to go visit Mom in the hospital, and Joe and I had some business to take care of while the boys were gone.

Joe and I drank our first cups of coffee, and I put on the apron to start preparing some breakfast, while Joe entered the boy’s bedroom to wake them up. The boys joined us a few minutes later. There was little conversation that morning, but we did share a descent breakfast of sausage, eggs and hashed brown potatoes.

"What time are you guys planning to be home?" Joe asked.

"Not sure," DJ replied, "but we’ll probably head back when they kick us out of the CICU (Coronary Intensive Care Unit), I really need to be at work by at least 4:00 or 5:00 today."

"Guys, don’t forget to put on your smiles when you visit Granny."

The boys left for the city about 8:45 AM and Joe and I left to check out cemetery plots a few minutes later.

* * * * * *

DJ and Jamie reached the hospital about 10:15, parked the Tracker and headed in through the main entrance. Taking the elevator to the second floor, they were soon inside the CICU. They registered at the nurse’s station that they were there to visit Agatha Reynolds, and asked if there were any changes in her condition.

The nurse, looking down, "I’m sorry I don’t have better news, she is growing weaker by the hour. What relationship are you two, to her?"

"Her grandson’s" DJ and Jamie stated, in unison.

The nurse, looking at their names on the registration, and at them, "You don’t look like brothers, did you have different mothers?"

"It’s a bit complicated," Jamie said, "DJ is a Kendall because he was legally adopted by Doug Kendall, and then Doug married Granny’s son, Joseph Reynolds, so Joe became his step-dad. So Granny became DJ’s grandmother by adoption and marriage. DJ and I have been in a relationship for about a year, and Granny has adopted me as her grandson also. She has been a loving grandmother to both of us, and we both have unlimited love for her."

"I see," said the nurse, "I guess you can go in and see her, but please don’t do or say anything that might cause her to get excited, she is stable, but excitement could cause her to have a relapse." DJ and Jamie entered her room, both putting on their best smiles.

Granny, smiling, "I was so hoping you boys would come today, come over here and give me a kiss!" Both DJ and Jamie bent over the bed and gave Granny a kiss on her lips.

DJ was hating all the tubes and wires connected to his Granny’s body, and was constantly glancing at that stupid monitor, the one that has the beam of light running across the bottom of the screen, that spikes and beeps with Granny’s every heartbeat.

"DJ, Jamie," Granny said, "come over here and sit your butts on the bed with me, I want to be close to you, while I explain something."

Both boys sat on Granny’s bed, and she placed a hand on each of their wrists.

"For the last Thirty years, it was my dream and hope to see my son marry the love of his life. God allowed me to live long enough to witness that, back in January, when Doug and Joe tied the knot. I was really hoping to hang on long enough to witness you two to marry one of these days also, but He isn’t going to give me the time, He is coming very soon to take me home. I will not be here in the body, to see you get married, but I will be watching, from up there, and you know I will be smiling."

"Granny," DJ pleaded, with tears starting to leak from his eyes, "please don’t leave me this way, I’m not done spending time with you, I haven’t known you very long, and you’re the only Granny I have. I need more time to get to know you better."

"Sweetheart, it’s not our choice when we leave this earth. When we are born, God creates a life path for us, he plans it, and we follow it. I have followed that path for almost 84 years, but I see the end of the path, right in front of me, and God is coming to take me home. You and Jamie have a long life of love to share, and I know the love between you is strong!"

Aggie’s body suddenly stiffened, and her grip on both of the boy’s wrists was like a grip of steel. The monitor quit beeping, and the little beam of light just drifted across the screen, with no more spikes. Jamie pried her fingers off his wrist, and ran to the doorway.

"HELP!" Jamie yelled, "WE NEED HELP!" Two nurses rushed into the room, and Jamie just pointed at the monitor. One of the nurses grabbed the phone, put in a code and announced over the PA, "Dr. Ayles, room 203, Stat!"

In less that two minutes, Dr. Ayles walked in, using a stethoscope he knew that Aggie was not breathing. "Get the clappers!" he ordered, "Boys, step back, give us some room." The nurse walked in with the machine on a cart, and plugged it in. Dr. Ayles put a clapper in each hand, the nurse pulled Granny’s gown up and the Dr. placed the clappers on each side of Granny’s ribs.

"Fire," Dr. Ayles said, and the nurse pushed the button, "BLAM", but there was no response, "Again," Doc said, "BLAM", and still no response, "One more time," Doc said, "BLAM" and still Granny’s heart refused to start beating again. "She’s expired," Dr. Ayles said, putting the rubber-like disks back on the cart. The nurse recorded the time as 11:32 AM. It was over.

The nurses pulled the sheet over Aggie’s head and DJ came to the side of the bed, leaned over and lay his upper body over Granny from the side, sobbing uncontrollably.

Jamie, wrapping his arms around DJ’s upper body, and trying to console him, "Baby, you’ve got to get a hold of yourself."

"I can’t," DJ sobbed, "I’ve—lost—my—Granny!"

"Jamie," Dr. Ayles said, "Can I see you a minute?" Jamie went over to Dr. Ayles.

"Jamie," Dr. Ayles said, "now that she has passed, we’ll need to send her down to the morgue to await pickup, usually by the undertaker. Do you know who would be handling that?"

"Probably DJ’s step-dad, Joe Reynolds, do you need his number?"

"No, we have that on file. DJ is taking this really hard, I think we need to give him a sedative to help calm him down. I can give him a shot here, and a prescription that you can have filled. He’s probably going to need some medication for at least a couple of days, maybe until after the burial. I’ll get a syringe."

A couple of attendants came in with a gurney, and transferred Granny’s body from the bed, and then wheeled her down the hall to the elevator.

Jamie, approaching DJ, "Sweetheart, the good doctor is going to give you a shot, and it will help you through this rough time, lower your pants and show the doctor your cute little butt!" Jamie’s humor actually caused DJ to display that patented smile, if only for a few seconds.

DJ, still sobbing, "Is this going to hurt?"

"Just for a minute, son," Dr. Ayles said, "but it will help ease the pain you’re feeling in your heart."

* * * * * *

About 9:15 that Tuesday morning, Joe and Doug had been in the office at the cemetery with Lester Hancock. Lester had explained to them how the cemetery was laid out, the older, original part of the cemetery had been there for well over 100 years, and only had a couple of locations available that were open for three adjoining burials. The original part still allows headstones, and also has a lot of trees, many of them shading the burial lots.

The newer part of the cemetery has plenty of areas suitable for a 3 person burial, and only allows the flat marble slabs, so that the maintenance people can run the mowers over the graves without needing to weedeat around headstones. Joe and Doug both thought they would prefer a location in the original part of the cemetery, and Lester had printed off a map of the original part and circled the available plots suitable for a 3-person burial.

After driving out and checking the plots, Joe and Doug agreed on one of the plots and returned to the office. They explained to Lester that they were married, and wanted to be buried together, when the time arrived, and would likely need the third space for Joe’s mother in the very near future, as they were certain Aggie would soon pass.

Lester wrote up the contract, Doug wrote a check for the down payment and both Joe and Doug signed the contract. The lots would be paid for in two years.

"Lester," Joe asked, "is there an undertaker that you would recommend?"

"There are at least three or four descent funeral homes in the city, but if you want to have a service locally, Lynch Funeral Home is the only one that has a chapel here in our community," Lester stated, "here is one of their business cards."

"Thank you sir," Joe said, putting the card in his wallet, "I have a feeling we’ll be seeing you again soon." Joe and I headed home, arriving at about 11:30 AM. I made a fresh pot of coffee and we sat down to have a cup. I was just ready to start getting some lunch for us when Joe’s phone rang, he answered it, not recognizing the number.

"This phone call is for Joseph Reynolds," the voice said, "is he available?"

"Speaking," Joe replied.

"Joe, this is Dr. Ayles, I need to inform you that Agatha Reynolds just passed at 11:32 this morning. Her remains have been sent to the morgue, to await pickup by the undertaker of your choice."

"Dr. Ayles, her grandsons, DJ and Jamie, planned to visit her this morning, did they leave before she passed?"

"That’s the worst of it, Joe," Dr. Ayles explained, "One minute they were all conversing, and the next minute she was gone, she passed on right in front of them. We tried to use the machine to shock her heart into beating again, but she didn’t respond."

"How did the boys handle it?" Joe asked.

"DJ didn’t handle it well at all, and I gave him a tranquilizer shot to try to help him calm down, and I’m going to give him a prescription to get filled. I think he’s going to need to be somewhat drugged for a few days. Jamie seems to have a better handle on the reality, but he is also quite upset."

"Doc," Joe said, "I’ve not had to deal with a situation like this before, does the undertaker originate the Death Certificate?"

"No, since I was the Doctor present at the time of her death, it is my responsibility to fill out the Certificate, and I’m ready to do that as soon as we are off the phone. The boys are still out here, Jamie is consoling DJ, and I can send the Certificate with them, or leave it with her remains and the undertaker can take responsibility for it."

"Please send it with them, but could you please seal it in an envelope, and just put my name on it? They don’t need to know what the content is."

"Will do, Joe, let me catch them before they leave," Dr. Ayles said, "I really would have liked to have given you better news, Goodbye." Dr. Ayles finished filling out the Death Certificate.

Jamie was gathering DJ up, getting ready to head home, and Dr. Ayles headed toward them, the envelope and a prescription pad in his hand.

"Guys," Dr. Ayles said, "I can’t write a prescription for just ‘DJ’, I need his full name."

"Douglas Joseph Kendall," Jamie answered. DJ smiled weakly, he always has a sense of pride when he sees or hears his full name. Dr. Ayles finished writing the prescription, tearing off the sheet from the pad.

"Jamie," Dr. Ayles stated, "I’m trusting that you will make sure that your boyfriend takes these pills as directed, it will help him cope with the situation at hand, and please deliver this envelope to Joe, it’s important." He handed the envelope and the prescription to Jamie. He then opened his arms, and drew both boys to his chest, giving them a loving hug. Jamie and DJ walked away, down the single flight of stairs, and out of the main entrance toward the parking lot.

"Baby," Jamie said, as they reached the Tracker, "give me the keys, I think I’m in better shape to drive than you are." DJ handed over the keys, and Jamie unlocked the Tracker, both boys got in and Jamie piloted the Tracker out of the parking lot.

Just a few blocks from the hospital they passed a shopping center and Jamie noticed a ‘Southside Drug and Pharmacy’ store. He pulled in, planning to get DJ’s prescription filled here. DJ elected to stay in the car while Jamie got the prescription filled. Jamie walked in and headed back to the Pharmacy.

"Jamie!" Justin exclaimed, "What the heck are you doing up in this neck of the woods?"

Jamie took a few minutes to explain what had happened to Justin.

"Jamie, this will only take a couple of minutes to fill, sit tight for a couple, it’s a controlled substance, so I have to get it from the locked cabinet." Justin disappeared.

Justin, returning to the window, "Is DJ still working for Randy down there? And where is DJ right now?"

"Yeah, he’s still there, and he likes Randy a lot, he’s not looking for a different job." Jamie said, "He’s out in the Tracker, waiting for me."

Justin came out from the pharmacy, prescription in hand, "Jamie, I’ll ring this up to make sure he gets his employee discount. Justin rang it up and Jamie paid for it with his debit card. Justin told a cashier that there is no one in the pharmacy right now, and that he was going out to say ‘Hi’ to an old friend. Justin followed Jamie to the Tracker.

The shot that Dr. Ayles had given DJ was working, and DJ was almost asleep in the passenger side of the Tracker. Justin tapped on the window and aroused DJ. When DJ saw that Justin was just outside his window, he jumped out of the Tracker, put on that infectious smile, and threw his arms around Justin, as Justin returned the hug. Justin and DJ had always had a warm feeling toward each other, and both had missed each other, ever since Justin got the promotion and transferred to this store.

"DJ," Justin said, "I’m very sorry to hear of your loss, but it’s also very good to see you, I just wish the circumstances were better. Anytime you’re up this way, please stop in and say Hi, and I’ll always find a few minutes to share with you. Jamie, it’s good to see you too, but I really need to get back inside."

The boys got back into the Tracker, and Jamie hit the highway. In about 5 minutes, DJ had fallen asleep again. Jamie felt that just those few minutes Justin had spent with DJ lifted just a bit of the pain from DJ’s heart.

* * * * * *

Shortly after the call from Dr. Ayles, Joe called his Captain, telling him that his Mom had passed, and asking for bereavement leave, starting today and extending through Sunday, and he would be returning to work as of Monday, March the 12th. He asked Joe to please let him know when viewing hours would be and the day and time of the funeral.

Joe made the dreaded call to his sister. He had told her that he would let her know if there were any changes in Mom’s condition. She answered, about the same as she answered his previous call: "What do you want?"

"Not a damn thing," Joe said, "but I did tell you I would let you know if there were any changes in Mom’s condition, and there has been one. She passed away at 11:32 this morning."

"Oh," she said, "When and where are the viewing hours, and when is her funeral?"

"We haven’t quite decided the time of the funeral, and we’re not planning any viewing hours. Since hardly anyone here even knows her we’ve decided not to have a viewing. You have no need to know anyway, since you already informed me that you weren’t going to make a trip all the way out here for her funeral. I don’t think there is anything more to discuss. I will send you a copy of her Death Certificate, after I can get a copy made. Goodbye." He hung up.

Two minutes later Joe’s phone rang, he saw that the number was his sister’s, and just let it go to voicemail.

"Joe," I said, "don’t you think you should talk with her?"

"Baby, I guess it might be called revenge," Joe said, "If that homophobic bitch wants to be an ass, she can learn what kind of ass her brother can be!"

Joe and I made a decision to try and plan the funeral for Friday morning, about 11:00 AM. We made arrangements with Lynch Funeral Home to pick up Mom’s remains at the hospital and embalm her and set up for the funeral at their chapel here at 11:00 AM Friday. Joe and I needed to make a trip to the city tomorrow, Wednesday, to select a casket.

I called Randy and told him that Mom had passed, and that I needed bereavement time through Friday, and I couldn’t predict how long DJ would be out, as he was really out of it right now, and was likely going to be drugged for a few days. He said he already had some deliveries for today, and I told him I would work today, but I would not be in until about 5:00 PM.

DJ and Jamie pulled into the driveway about 3:00 PM, with Jamie at the wheel of the Tracker. They both got out, walked to our house and entered through the back door. DJ sunk into a chair at the table, quite obviously not himself.

"DJ," I asked, "Are you stoned?"

"He’s not stoned, Dad," Jamie responded, "He’s drugged, he was pretty much out of it, and Dr. Ayles gave him a shot to calm him down. He slept most of the way home."

I offered to fix the boys something to eat. DJ said he didn’t want to eat, he just wanted to sleep, Jamie said he could stand something light, maybe just a sandwich. Jamie suggested to DJ that he should probably take one of those pills that Dr. Ayles had prescribed, and he did.

DJ, after about a half an hour, "Jamie, I’m exhausted, will you come and lay down with me for a while?"

"Of course, sweetheart," Jamie replied.

DJ and Jamie didn’t go to bed, they just lay on the bed together. They were both still fully dressed, Jamie’s arms around DJ, comforting him. After a few minutes, DJ was breathing deeply and Jamie knew he was asleep. Jamie slipped off the bed, planning to make a couple of phone calls, the first one to his Mom. He dialed Karen.

"Hi son," Karen said, "how is Granny doing?"

"Mom," Jamie said, sobbing, "Granny passed at about 11:30 this morning, right in front of DJ and me!"

"Oh my god, Jamie!" Karen remarked, "How is DJ handling it?"

"Not well at all, Dr. Ayles put DJ on tranquilizers to help calm him down. He’s sleeping right now. Mom we won’t be going to school the rest of this week, DJ’s in no shape for it, and I refuse to let DJ out of my sight. Dad’s are making the arrangements, they’re not having any viewing, and are planning the funeral for 11:00 Friday morning at Lynches Funeral Chapel."

"Honey," Karen asked, "do you want me to tell Bryan and Phil?"

"Yes, please," Jamie said, "but please ask them not to call DJ, he’s not in shape to talk about it, he is suffering too much already."

"I can tell you’re suffering too, Jamie," Karen stated, I think you and DJ both had a very tight relationship with his Granny. Thanks for letting me know."

"Goodbye, Mom, Oh, I hope you and Dad can make it to the funeral Friday."

"We’ll definitely be there, Jamie, goodbye Son."

Jamie then called Anthony, and pretty much repeated what he told his Mom and asked him to take him off the schedule for the rest of the week. Anthony told Jamie how sorry he was, and his thoughts would be with him and DJ and the rest of our family. Anthony said he might decide to open the pizzeria late on Friday so that he and Maria could attend the funeral.

Jamie then returned, lay back down with his boyfriend, and he, too, fell asleep, without the help of a tranquilizer.

I had told Randy I would come in by 5:00, and prepared to leave about 4:30. Joe said he was going to cook up a kettle of soup, as he was certain the boys would be hungry after they woke up, and I would be able to have some when I returned.

* * * * * *

About 7:00 PM, the boys were still sleeping, and Joe was sitting at the table, just thinking about the days events, and periodically rising to stir the soup that was simmering on the stove. His phone rang, the number that was displayed was unfamiliar to him, but was from California. It occurred to him that maybe his sister was trying to call him from a number he wouldn’t recognize. He gingerly answered.

"Is this Joe Reynolds?" the young mans voice asked.

"It is," Joe replied, "may I ask who is calling?"

"Uncle Joe, please don’t hang up on me, this is Damion Whitlock, your nephew."

"Did your mother ask you to call me?" Joe asked.

"On the contrary, Uncle Joe," Damion said, "Mom told Brandon and me today that Grandma had passed away. I asked her for your number and she said I didn’t need it, and told me NOT to try and contact you."

"So how did you get my number, Damion?"

"Grandma gave it to me, probably over two years ago, I just filed it away, and retrieved it today, I’m glad it’s still the same."

"Damion," Joe said, "the last time I was out there to visit Mom was several years ago, and you and Brandon were in your early teens, how old are you guys now?"

"I’m 21 and Brandon just turned 19. Uncle Joe, I know that Brandon and I didn’t spend much time with Grandma when she lived here, but we would like to come out and pay her our final respects. When is the funeral?"

"We’re planning on it being Friday morning, Damion, but I don’t think your parents will let you come."

"Uncle Joe, Mom and Dad told us not to get close to you, that you were a pervert and that you would try and make us gay. Brandon and I know better, we grew up in the suburbs of Frisco, and gay folks around here are about as common as ketchup on French Fries. We’re not anything like Mom and Dad, they’re homophobes!"

"I know that very well, Damion," Joe said, "but I still don’t think they’ll let you come out here. I’m cooking some homemade soup, and I need to stir it, I’ll be right back." Joe left the phone for a few seconds.

"That sounds good!" Damion remarked, "the last time I had any homemade soup was at Grandma’s, Mom never cooks anything like that, she doesn’t cook much of anything from scratch."

"That sounds like my sister," Joe said, "Aren’t you boys still living at home?"

"Brandon is," Damion said, "but I have my own apartment. Now I can have my girlfriend stay overnight sometimes, and I couldn’t do that if I was still living with them."

"There are advantages to having your own place," Joe said, chuckling, "I still think your parents will try to stop you from coming out here for your Grandma’s funeral."

"Uncle Joe, Brandon is going to the community college here and he’s on spring break this week. I graduated last May and have a reasonably good job and money in the bank. I can afford round trip plane tickets for both of us, and if we have the funds for travel, I don’t think our parents can stop us. Where is the nearest airport to where you live?"

"Charlotte," Joe answered, "it’s about 80 miles from here."

"If we flew in there, could somebody pick us up?" Damion asked.

"Sure," Joe replied, "DJ has taken Granny’s passing pretty hard, but his boyfriend, Jamie would probably be willing to pick you up."

"Wait a minute, Uncle Joe, I’m a little confused," Damion said, "I’m actually a lot confused, who is DJ?"

"DJ is our son," Joe replied.

"I thought you and Doug were gay, and two men can’t have children."

"Let me explain," Joe said, "Last spring Doug took DJ under his wing, and DJ and Doug developed a very close father and son relationship, then, in October, Doug legally adopted DJ, to be his real son. Then, when Doug and I got married, two months ago, in January, DJ became my stepson, by marriage."

"Now, when Grandma came out here for our wedding, she and DJ quickly developed a very close relationship. It was like love at first sight. Aggie was the only grandparent that DJ felt he owned, at least the only one that he recognized."

"Going back a little, shortly after DJ moved in with Doug, he and Jamie met, and clicked, and have been dating now for about a year. When Granny met Jamie, she adopted him also as a grandson, as it’s likely that somewhere down the line, DJ and Jamie will probably marry. Those two are very much in love."

"So, if I understand correctly, DJ is my first cousin, that I have never met. How old are DJ and Jamie?"

"DJ turned 20 in November, and Jamie turned 20 on Christmas Day."

"So they are about the same age as Brandon and me," Damion said, "I now have a second reason to make the trip, I so much want to meet my cousin DJ, and Jamie, and I’m quite certain that Brandon will feel the same. Would you happen to have any spare bedrooms where we could sleep?"

"Our home is small, we only have two bedrooms, Doug’s and mine, and DJ’s and Jamie’s, but Jamie’s parents have a couple of spares. Granny stayed in one of them when she came here for our wedding, Let me check with Karen, and I think she would be amenable to having you there for three nights. It’s a full bed, so you and your brother would need to share it."

"Uncle Joe," Damion responded, "we’re both straight and not too keen on sleeping together, but I guess we could, we’re only talking about 3 nights. Let me talk with Brandon, and check out the flights. I’ll get back with you tomorrow. Goodnight, Uncle Joe."

Joe was pleased that Damion had reached out to him, Damion was certainly much more pleasant to talk with than either one of his parents. He wondered what Brandon’s reaction would be, but he wouldn’t need to wait too long.

A few minutes before 8:00 PM the dead arose and wandered into the kitchen.

"It sure smells good in here," Jamie said, "Dad, what have you been cooking?"

"Just a kettle of Beef Vegetable soup, wanna try a bowl?" Joe asked.

"Sure," Jamie replied, "better make it two bowls."

"I’m not ready to eat anything," DJ said.

"Come on, Baby," Jamie countered, "we haven’t eaten anything since breakfast, you need to get something in your stomach or you’ll be getting sick." Joe ladled up two bowls of soup and placed a bowl in front of each of them.

Jamie, taking the first spoonful, "It’s really good, Joe, try it baby."

DJ gingerly put a spoonful in his mouth, smiled a little and swallowed, then took a second spoonful.

"Dad," Jamie asked, "have you and Dad made any arrangements for, you know?"

Joe, painfully, "Lynch Funeral Home has picked her up and is handling that end of things. There is hardly anyone around here that even knew her, outside of a few friends and family, so Doug and I decided not to schedule viewing times. We’re just planning a simple service for Friday morning at 11:00 AM at the Lynch Chapel here, for our closer friends and family."

"Where will she be laid to rest?" Jamie asked.

"Doug and I bought 3 adjoining lots at the cemetery, two for us when needed, and one for Mom. Doug and I need to go to Lynches Charlotte Chapel, tomorrow to select the casket." Joe replied.

"DJ," Joe said, "I received a very unexpected phone call tonight about 7:00, while you guys were sleeping. It was from your first cousin Damion Whitlock, and he informed me that he and his brother, Brandon are coming from California to give their final respects to their Grandma."

"Dad," DJ remarked, "I don’t have any cousins, not since I disowned my biological family."

Joe, grinning, "Yes you do! My ugly sister, Julia, married a homophobic asshole, and they raised two sons, Damion and Brandon. I told Julia that Mom had suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital, and she told me that day, that if Mom kicked the bucket, not to expect her and her husband to come all the way from California to her funeral."

"At least she had the decency to tell Damion today that his Grandma had passed, and he asked for my phone number, she told him he didn’t need it, and not to try to contact me. Sometime, a couple of years ago, Mom gave Damion my number and he filed it away, but he dug it out today, and called me."

"The last time I visited Mom in California was around 6 or 7 years ago, and Damion and Brandon were just in their early teens. After talking with Damion tonight, he seems like a rather nice young man, and talking with him is sure a lot more pleasant than talking with his mother or father. I haven’t talked with Brandon, so I’m not sure what he is like. Damion said he is dying to meet his cousin, and Jamie."

Joe continued, "Damion asked me if they fly into Charlotte, if someone can pick them up at the airport. I told him that DJ was pretty torn up, but that maybe Jamie would be able to pick them up."

DJ, smiling a little, "I think Jamie and I could go together and pick them up, I am kinda wanting to meet my cousins I didn’t know I had."

Is DJ starting to come around? Joe’s phone rang, and it was Damion.

"Hi Damion." Joe answered.

"Heh! Damion’s phone, but this is Brandon, Hi Uncle Joe."

"EXCUSE ME! Hi there, Brandon, what’s up?"

"Damion and I have been trying to figure the best way to fly to Charlotte, and these flights are all fucked up! By any chance is DJ with you?"

"As a matter of fact, DJ and Jamie are both here, we’re all at the kitchen table, why?"

"I’m putting this on speakerphone," Brandon said, "if you put yours on speakerphone we can all hear each other." Joe turned his speaker on.

"Done deal," Joe said, "now what’s with these flights?"

"I don’t know who the heck makes these schedules, but I’d sure like to give them a piece of my mind! We can get a flight right out of Frisco to Charlotte, but there is a 6 hour layover in Atlanta." Brandon said, "We can get a direct flight from LA to Charlotte, but we have almost a 6 hours drive from Frisco to LA to catch the plane. Is that fucked up, or what?"

"It’s kind of a lose lose situation, isn’t it?" Joe said, "When do you have to be back?"

"We gotta be back Sunday night, Dami has to be to work Monday, and I have class at 9:00 AM," Brandon replied.

"The good thing about flying out of LA," Damion said, "is that it is an early flight, about 6:00 AM, and we’d be in Charlotte by 1:00 PM, on Thursday afternoon, and that would give us more time with our NC family. The bad part is that we’d need to leave Frisco about 10:00 PM Wednesday night to make the drive to LA. I guess we could catch some sleep on the plane."

"And if we fly out of Frisco," Brandon stated, "We wouldn’t need to be at the airport until 7:00 AM, but wouldn’t get to Charlotte until almost 8:00 PM Thursday night. We think we’d rather spend 6 hours on the road than to be stuck in the Atlanta airport for 6 hours. We want to maximize our time with you guys."

"How do you know?" DJ asked, "you haven’t met us yet."

"We’ll take that chance," Damion said, "If Uncle Joe can put up with you guys, you must be pretty cool!"

"Cousins are the best kind of friends!" Brandon added, "Even if you are gay!" They all laughed.

"OK guys," Joe said, "just let us know when your flight will be arriving, and someone will pick you up. We won’t leave you stranded at the Charlotte airport."

"We hate the reason for this trip," Damion said, "but we’re looking forward to meeting our East Coast family. Goodnight everyone." They all hung up.

When I came in from work, about 9:30 the aroma of Joe’s soup was tantalizing. Joe, DJ, and Jamie were all sitting at the table, Jamie and DJ both slurping on another bowl of the tasty stuff. Joe ladled a bowl for me. DJ got up and opened his arms, giving me a hug and kiss, and his signature smile. I think our DJ is back, or at least on his way back.

"Baby," Jamie said, "don’t forget to take your pill."

"I don’t need them anymore, Jamie," DJ said, "All I need is you by my side, and I’ll sleep like a rock!" Joe and I glanced at each other and smiled. This is the DJ we knew, but we’re both apprehensive as to how he is going to handle the funeral service on Friday.

DJ and Jamie slipped off to bed, leaving Joe and I at the table. "Doug," Joe said, "We need to ride to the city tomorrow to pick out a casket for Mom."

"That won’t be a problem," I said, "being that our whole family is on bereavement leave for the week, or at least though Friday." Joe covered the soup, and stuck it in the fridge and we both went to bed.

To be Continued...…………...

 

 

Like it? Then please leave me a COMMENT so I'll know!
Coming up in Chapter 35:
Joe and Doug are faced with a dilemma
DJ and Jamie meet their West Coast Cousins
Damion and Brandon lied to their parents
Ron and Liz plan a date
Karen and Carl take on two more boys
The Grandsons will be pallbearers
Granny is laid to rest
The cousins plan a fun weekend together
Copyright © 2019 Douglas Spencer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I thought I would be prepared, but you still made me cry dammit.And Ive still got to get through the funeral. Youve made these people so real....well done.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..