Jump to content
    Doug Spencer
  • Author
  • 6,520 Words
  • 2,184 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

DJ - 37. Chapter 37

Note: All sexually involved characters in this story are Eighteen years of age or older. There is a young, gay boy, 15 year old Fernando, who's father has kicked him out (which happens way too often in real life) and CPS (Child Protective Services) have placed him with foster parents, a married straight couple. There is no direct, or implied, sexual activity between Fernando and any other character in this story.

In Chapter 37

DJ is ‘Almost’ back to normal

Joe takes Aggie’s papers to Steve

Damion and Brandon start researching

Phil and Bryan rent an apartment

Fernando finds a special gift

Joe discovers startling information

Fernando helps celebrate Danny’s birthday

* * * * * *

Sunday night, when DJ and Jamie left the pizzeria to go to the Seldon home, they took an extra large pizza with them to share with Karen and Carl. Carl is a supervisor at a local manufacturing plant, but he is also a shift worker. His work schedule Monday through Friday is from 4:00 PM to 12:30 AM so he normally gets home about 1:00 AM, and is off on weekends.

On Monday morning, March 12th, Karen and Carl were both at the kitchen table having coffee when Jamie and DJ came out to join them about 7:30 AM, both boys freshly showered. Bryan joined them about 7:45. Karen fixed the three boys some breakfast, as they needed to leave for campus about 8:30, finally returning to school, after the unpleasant events of the previous week. Out of respect for DJ, everyone avoided the mention of Granny’s death or the funeral.

"This old house seems strangely empty," Karen lamented, "I miss having Damion and Brandon around, has anyone heard from them since they went back home?"

DJ, pulling his phone out, "I got a text from Damion in the middle of the night, he said they arrived safe and sound, without incident, and are now home in Frisco, and they miss all of us!" Then, his eyes wet, "I wonder if they miss us as much as I miss them?"

"DJ and I had a blast with them Saturday, and they grew on me pretty strong," Jamie commented, "they’re AOK in my book, even if they are straight!"

That comment drew chuckles from Karen and Carl, and triggered DJ to display that patented smile we all love to see. Slowly but surely, the DJ that we know and love is returning.

"Jamie," DJ suggested, "maybe while we’re out of school this summer, we could go to Frisco and hook up with them for a couple days."

"DJ," Jamie said, "I think June is Gay Pride Month, maybe we could kill two birds with one stone! Visit our cousins, AND take part in the Gay Pride celebrations too."

"If you do that," Bryan interjected, "could you take a couple of hitch hikers with you? Phil and I would love to be in Frisco during Gay Pride!"

"Damion and Brandon don’t have any place to put us up," DJ said, "and hotel prices will be sky high during Pride."

"It might not be THAT bad," Bryan said, "the four of us could share a two-bed room, you guys would have one bed and Phil and I would have the other, it wouldn’t be like sharing a room with strangers."

"It’s only March 12th," Jamie said, "we have plenty of time to make plans. Going to Gay Pride sounds really exciting, and it just might be something we can swing."

"What time will you guys be back for lunch today?" Karen asked.

"I don’t think we will be, Mom," Jamie said, "DJ and I missed three days of classes last week, and we need to try and see the professors to find out what we missed. I think we’ll just grab something in the cafeteria today. DJ has to open in the morning, so we’ll probably just head to Dad’s house today after we leave campus, and likely hit the books."

DJ and Jamie left about 8:30 and headed to campus in DJ’s Tracker. Bryan was leaving a little later, as his first class was an hour later, and he wasn’t going to DJ’s house after class today.

"Carl," Karen said, "I think I’m a little uncomfortable about the boys going to Gay Pride. Something might happen to them."

"Honey," Carl replied, smiling, "it’s not set in concrete yet. We can’t keep them in the nest forever, they need to learn to fly." Carl and Karen shared a loving kiss and hug.

* * * * * *

Joe and I got up about 9:00 AM. While the coffee was brewing, I started a dozen eggs to boil, planning to make tuna and egg salad for sandwiches. Being a Monday, I anticipated our sons (yes, we consider Jamie our son too) to come here after their classes and spend the night. DJ normally works an open to close shift on Tuesdays. We finished breakfast about 10:30 and Joe grabbed the box with Mom’s paperwork and left to take it to Steve Jones’s office.

I am scheduled to work at 3:00 PM today, and Joe’s partner, Mike, will be picking him up about 3:00 also. Shortly before 11:00 AM I received a call from DJ.

"Dad," DJ said, "I just wanted to let you know that Jamie and I won’t be home for lunch today. We need to catch up with our professors, and find out what we missed last week, and get the assignments, so we can catch up. We’ll see you tonight when you get home."

"Thanks for letting me know, Son. There will be a bowl of tuna-egg salad in the fridge, so you and Jamie can make sandwiches when you get hungry. We both love you and Jamie very much, and we’ll see you tonight."

"Thanks, Dad," DJ replied, "we know that you and Dad love us a lot, but it’s always reassuring to hear you say it again. We both have unlimited love for you and Dad too, see you tonight."

Joe returned about 11:30, and told me that we had an appointment with Steve Jones at 1:00 PM Wednesday to go over Mom’s paperwork.

"We," I questioned, "I don’t really want to get involved with your family’s business."

"Doug," Joe stated, a couple of tears slipping from his eyes, "Once we got married, Aggie became just as much your mother as she was mine. I suspect that, when we find out just what is in her paperwork, things might become a little emotional, and I want you by my side! Aren’t the boys coming by for lunch today?"

"No," I said, "DJ called me a while ago, he and Jamie are trying to hook up with their professors to find what they missed, so they can catch up. They will be here overnight, as normal, and DJ is open to close tomorrow."

Joe and I spent some private time together, and then prepared for work. I left about 2:30 PM and Mike picked Joe up around 3:00 PM.

* * * * * *

Monday afternoon, about 3:00 PM Pacific time, Brandon made a call to Damion, calling his cell number. Damion answered.

"Hi Bro, what’s up?"

"Dami, are you busy?" Brandon asked.

"Well," Damion answered, "I’m working, but I can give you a few."

"I got into the computer lab here at school, and I got into the web site for the college where DJ and Jamie go. I hope you don’t mind, they’re sending me a catalog and some other information, but I gave them your mailing address. I don’t want that stuff coming to Mom and Dad’s house."

"Wise move, Bran," Damion said, "I’ll be watching for it, and I will let you know when it gets here. I’m planning to get online tonight, after I get to the apartment, and see what possibilities I can find for employment out there. Did Mom and Dad give you any hassle about what time we got in last night?"

"Not too bad, they wanted to know what we did, and I told them we mostly looked around, and checked out the casino’s. They asked if we made any money, and I told them we didn’t do any gambling, cause we didn’t have money to lose, and we took in a couple of shows. I’m pretty sure they bought my story."

"Now, Bran, if they ask me, I can tell them the same story. If we need to lie, it’s important that our stories match! I gotta get back to work, catch ya later." They both hung up.

* * * * * *

Being a Monday, Fernando just finished gym class and most of the boys had worked up a pretty good sweat. Coach had cautioned them about not going right outside where it was cooler without a shower to help close up their pores. Fernando had noticed that at least three of the other boys in his gym class also had uncut penis’s and was now less self conscious about other boys seeing his, and showered with the others.

After showering, he dried himself well, put on clean boxer-briefs, and dressed in his sweats for softball practice. Coach Fritton was quite pleased with his decision to make a pitcher out of Fernando, and Fernando was improving with every practice session. Ron and Fernando were gradually becoming friends as well, and practiced well together. Ron was now dating Fernie’s best friend, Liz.

The activity bus dropped Fernando and Ron both off at the stop close to where Fernando lived, Ron headed to Liz’s house and Fernie to his home. Maria dished up dinner, and she, Antonio and Fernando all sat down to eat. Maria and Antonio both noticed a look of concern on Fernando’s face.

"Son," Antonio asked, "is something troubling you?"

"Kinda," Fernie replied, "you know that Danny’s parents have asked me to help celebrate Danny’s 17th birthday this Saturday night?"

"Josh White, Danny’s father asked if we would allow you to go with them," Antonio said, "do you not want to go?"

"Of course I want to go, and help him celebrate." Fernando said, "I also want to give him a birthday gift, but it needs to be something very special, because Danny and I are special friends."

"What are you thinking of, sweetheart?" Maria asked.

"I’m thinking maybe a nice men’s bracelet, engraved," Fernie replied.

"I hope you’re not thinking of engraving it with ‘Danny & Fernando’ or something like that." Maria said.

"No," Fernie replied, "that would be too obvious! And it would out both of us. I’m thinking something more like ‘Friends are Forever’, I’m hoping I can get one for less than $100."

"That would be a lot to spend on a birthday gift for a friend," Maria said.

"Mom," Fernando countered, "you can’t put a price on friendship!"

"You can’t argue with that, Hun," Antonio said, smiling.

"Hold on a minute," Fernie said, "I’ll be right back."

About two minutes later Fernando returned, with a fist full of cash.

"Dad," Fernie said, "I’ve got $105 that I’ve saved up from tips. Can you please take this with you to the store tomorrow? I don’t want to carry that much around with me. I’ll get it from you when I get home from school, and then go to the jewelry store and see what I can find."

"Sure, Son," Antonio said, "and I hope you can find what you’re looking for."

* * * * * *

Tuesday morning everyone at the Seldon home slept in. DJ and Jamie had spent the night at our house, Bryan had been off on Monday and had no classes Tuesday morning, Phil got home about 11:30 Monday night, and Carl about 1:00 AM. Phil and Bryan were both scheduled off Tuesday.

Karen woke up about 9:00 AM and made coffee. While drinking her first cup, Bryan and Phil came out and joined her. Since both were off from work today, and Bryan had no classes, they had decided to check out some apartments today. Carl got up and joined the rest about 9:45 AM. Since Bryan and Phil wanted to go apartment hunting, Karen cooked up some breakfast for all of them.

After Phil and Bryan left, Karen and Carl just sat at the table, and nursed third cups of coffee.

"You know honey," Karen said, "I’m feeling that this house is just getting too big, maybe it’s time to sell it, and downsize to something like maybe a two bedroom house, one for us, and a guest room."

"Baby," Carl said, "I think maybe you should just find a hobby, something to absorb some of your time and energy. You’re bored when you don’t have these boys around to occupy your time. Even if Phil and Bryan get their own place, we still have Jamie and DJ here, at least four days a week, and they still have another full year of college ahead of them after this semester."

"I was a little surprised at how well our boys and the California cousins blended together." Karen said. "Damion and Brandon were raised by homophobes, yet it seems that neither of those boys inherited that trait."

"It was quite evident, when they were parting Saturday night, that there was nothing but a lot of love between the four of them. That was a very emotional scene." Carl said.

* * * * * *

Phil and Bryan checked out several apartments before they found the one they really liked. It was a one-bedroom basement apartment in a three-story complex. They had to go down a flight of stairs to get to the apartment, and it had a concrete floor, whereas the upper two stories, one at parking lot level and the other up a flight of stairs were both two-bedroom apartments, and were priced somewhat higher.

The rental agent said there were only a few of the apartments in this complex that were furnished, and, if they wished, the queen-sized bed could be replaced with two twin beds. They both desired the queen bed. The agent smiled, knowingly, he’d dealt with same sex couples before!

As they were renting the apartment in both of their names, they both needed to fill out credit apps. The rent was $500 a month and included heat and water, electric and cable were additional. A $250 deposit would ‘hold’ the apartment until April 1st, pending credit approval, which should take 24 to 48 hours. If approved, they would be need to pay April’s rent of $500 and could take possession on April 1st. There was a $100 non-refundable ‘processing fee’ they would need to pay today. Phil paid the deposit and Bryan paid the $100 fee. If everything works out, and the credit is approved, they will have their own apartment on April 1st.

* * * * * *

Tuesday afternoon the school bus dropped Fernando off at the shopping center and he walked into the pizzeria. After receiving his ‘welcome hugs’ from Antonio and Maria he carried his backpack into the party room and dropped it on a table, and returned to Antonio.

"Dad," Fernando asked, "do you have that money I asked you to bring in today?"

"Yes and no," Antonio replied, smiling, "it’s not as big a wad as you gave me last night. You had a lot of Ones and Fives that we could use for change here, so I swapped them out for Twenties, but it’s still $105."

Fernie, first frowning, then smiling, "You had me worried for a minute, Dad, if I can get that from you, I’d like to go shopping." Antonio handed Fernando the money.

"Don’t be too long," Maria said, "our dinner will be ready about 5:00."

"I’ll be back by then," Fernando replied, leaving the pizzeria and jogging across the parking lot to the Jewelry store on the other side. He entered the store, and an older man greeted him.

"Good Afternoon, young man, how may I help you?"

"I’m looking for a special Birthday Gift for a special friend," Fernie answered, "do you have any men’s bracelets that can be engraved?"

"I sure do," the jeweler replied, bringing two out from the case, "We have this one in Gold, and this one in Silver."

"They’re beautiful," Fernando said, "how much are they?"

The jeweler, looking underneath the boxes, "The gold one is $179 and the Silver is $139."

Fernando, his face cringed, "Ooooh! I’ve only got about $100 to work with."

"Would you consider stainless steel?" the jeweler asked, they might be more in your price range." Fernando nodded, and the jeweler reached into the case and brought out a similar bracelet in SS. It was still pretty.

"How much would that be?" Fernando asked.

"The bracelet itself is $49 plus $10 per side, if you want it engraved."

"So that would be $69, if I have both sides engraved?" Fernie asked.

"Plus tax, of course," he said, "Do you think that will work?"

"Yep!" Fernie exclaimed, "When would it be ready?"

"If you buy it, and pay for it today, I can have it for you Thursday, is that soon enough?"

"Yeah," Fernando said, "his birthday isn’t until Saturday, let’s do it!"

"I just thought of something," the jeweler said, "this is for your friend?"

"Danny is more than just a friend," Fernie said, "He’s my best friend!"

"If I can find it," the jeweler stated, "I think I have something even better for you, hold tight for a couple." He went into the back.

About five minutes later he returned, holding a small jewelry case.

"This was special ordered by a guy, probably about a year ago," the jeweler explained, "He paid the 20% deposit for a special order, and after it arrived, he said he didn’t need it, so I got stuck with it. What do you think?"

The jeweler opened the case and Fernando’s eyes fell upon the stainless steel bracelet. It had an engraved drawing on the end, showing two hands in a handshake and the engraved lettering ‘Always Friends’. Fernando looked at the backside, which was blank.

"It’s perfect!" Fernando exclaimed, smiling, "Can I still get our initials engraved on the back?"

"I’ll make you a deal," the jeweler said. "That was a $99.00 bracelet, but since the guy had paid the 20% deposit, leaving a $79.00 balance due, if you want it, I’ll let you have it for the $69.00 you would have paid for the other one, and I’ll engrave the back for free."

"Mister," Fernie said, grinning, "you’ve got a deal! I know that Danny is going to love it!"

The jeweler started filling out the sales receipt, "What is your name, young man?"

"Fernando Gomez," Fernie replied.

"And what do you wish engraved on the back?"

"Our initials, FG and DW, and his birthday, March 17th. Danny is turning 17 on the 17th!" Fernando exclaimed, smiling.

"OK," the jeweler said," the bracelet is $69.00 and with tax, that comes to $77.28. How are you paying?"

"Cash," Fernie replied, handing the jeweler four $20.00 bills. The man took his money and went to the cash register, bringing back $2.72 in change. He wrote on the receipt, in big letters, Paid In Full.

"Fernando," the jeweler said, "it’s been a pleasure, and we appreciate your patronage. Bring that receipt in as proof of purchase, and we’ll have that bracelet ready by Thursday afternoon."

"It probably will be Friday when I pick it up," Fernando said, "I have softball practice Thursday and you’ll be closed by the time I get home."

"We close at 5:30 on weekdays," the jeweler stated, "but we’re open until 8:00 on Friday evenings. Oh, and tell your friend ‘Happy Birthday’ for me."

"I’ll try to remember to do that," Fernando replied, smiling, "and thank you so much for your assistance, see you Friday."

Fernando was elated, and skipped across the parking lot to the pizzeria. He could hardly wait to tell Maria and Antonio what he’d found, the perfect birthday gift for Danny! He even had over $25 left over.

* * * * * *

Joe and I woke up about 9:30 AM on Wednesday morning, March 14th. We’d both worked the night before, but we are both normally scheduled off on Wednesdays, and Joe also has Thursdays off. The boys are back in school once again, and won’t be staying with us again until Friday night. Joe asked me to go with him when he has his appointment with Steve Jones at 1:00 PM today.

With nothing pressing this morning, we shared coffee, each other’s companionship, and a leisurely brunch at home, and left for Steve’s office about 12:30 PM, arriving there about 12:50.

Steve’s secretary, Brenda, welcomed us, and told us to have a seat and Steve would be with us shortly. Just a couple of minutes later, Steve came out of his office and invited us in and Joe and I sat in front of his big desk.

"Joe," Steve said, "are you comfortable discussing your Mom’s estate in front of Doug?"

"Of course, Steve," Joe replied, "Doug questioned me about that, and I told him, and I’ll tell you, once Doug and I married, my Mom became his Mom as well as mine."

"Are you aware that your Mom recently made a new will?" Steve asked, "when I say recently, it was while she was living at the GASC, and I think while you guys were still on your honeymoon."

Joe, shaking his head, "I was not aware of that."

"She evidently contacted the brothers, James and James, to re-evaluate her estate. James and James specialize in estate planning, and they are pretty straightforward. I have to respect them. Her will is dated January 24th of this year. If you and Julia were expecting a windfall from her passing, you’re both going to be disappointed."

"Steve," Joe said, tears escaping his eyes, "I would rather still have my Mom than to have what she might have left behind."

"For an old lady," Steve explained, "your Mom was anything but senile. I think someone gave her a lot of good advice, judging from her assets. Her late husband, Victor, left her quite well endowed. She was not hurting, financially. She was receiving only about $1100 a month from social security, but another $1900 a month from Victors retirement. Of course those will both cease, since she has passed."

"I’ve contacted her bank, and they have frozen her checking account, until settlement of her estate. No one has access to her account yet, but it has a balance of nearly $5000. She has some annuities that may still deposit into her account for a while. The bank has helped me, once I faxed them her death certificate, they are forwarding the information to Social Security and to the retirement fund."

"Joe," Steve continued, "your mother had more accounts, than Carter has liver pills! She also had set up an educational trust fund. Settling her estate will be a long and complicated process, and you’re named the executor of her estate, I hope you’re prepared for lots of work!"

"Steve, have you figured out what kind of insurance coverage she might have had?" Joe asked.

"She covered herself pretty well," Steve responded, "she had a final expense policy, that should cover the funeral home and burial costs, up to $8000. Have you got the bill from Lynches?"

"Not yet," Joe replied.

"When you get it, drop it off, and I will file the claim, along with a copy of her DC. They should pay Lynches, directly. She had a $5,000 life policy that has you and Julia as equal primary beneficiaries. Once we file that claim, along with a copy of the DC, you and Julia should receive checks for $2500 each from her life insurance policy."

"She had Medicare, of course, "Steve continued, "and a decent supplemental health policy. The supplemental should cover most of what Medicare doesn’t cover, but you probably will still get some bills from the Hospital and doctors that treated her, that neither of them covered. That’s about it on insurance."

"What is this trust fund you mentioned a few minutes ago?" Joe asked.

"Your Mom was big on Trust Funds, Joe, she actually has set up four Trust Funds. The Educational Trust Fund, currently has $75,000 in it, and can only be used by any of her grandson’s for higher education. The fund will only distribute funds to a higher education entity, such as a college or university, and would be in the student’s name."

"That fund will only be active for ten years, but it is an interest bearing account, so the money currently in that account is earning interest, which will help maintain, and may even grow the account. If there is still money in that account after the ten years, it will be equally dispersed between the three boys."

"She also has set up three more interest bearing Trust Funds of $25,000 each, one for each of her three grandsons. She was smart enough to put a catch on them, they can’t touch that money until they’re at least 25 years old! With interest accumulating, by the time any of them are 25, there will be somewhat more than $25,000 in each of them."

"Just curious, Steve," Joe ventured, "what would you estimate Mom’s net worth might be?"

"A little over $200,000, "Steve answered.

"Whew!" Joe exclaimed, "I’m glad Julia didn’t hear that, she’d be on the next plane east to come and contest this. I had no idea she was worth that much."

"If everything had been cashed out and sold, and the proceeds split between you and Julia, you’d have a fortune to pay in inheritance tax!" Steve said, "However, setting up these accounts the way she did, you’ve escaped the inheritance tax."

"I’m really pleased," Joe said, "that Mom had the foresight to direct most of the money toward the grandsons, and their education. I’m sure they will need that money a lot more than Julia and I do."

"I met Damion and Brandon at your Mom’s funeral, they seem like right nice young men," Steve said, "I’ll bet they were anxious to get back home though."

"On the contrary," I said, "they didn’t want to go back, and they’re even considering moving here. They bonded very quickly with DJ and Jamie, the four of them were like magnets around each other. They spent all day Saturday together, and had a blast." Steve smiled.

"Steve, thank you so much, at least now we know now what we’ve got before us," Joe said, "and we’ll try to get those bills to you tomorrow."

"OK guys," Steve said, "I’ll see you soon."

"Joe," I said, on the way home, "if Damion and Brandon are serious about moving here, that trust fund could pay Brandon’s tuition for his next year of college here, and DJ’s too."

"When Jamie and DJ graduate from Community College, they will be Pharmacy Technicians." Joe said, "DJ has expressed an interest in going on to become a full Pharmacist. There is adequate money in that fund to support DJ all the way through university, and get his bachelors degree."

Joe and I went home and did some domestic duties, Joe vacuumed the whole house and I did four loads of laundry. The boys would be at the Seldon’s tonight and tomorrow night, as they have classes Thursday and Friday mornings. They should be back home with us on Friday and Saturday night.

* * * * * *

Friday afternoon the bus dropped Fernando off at the shopping center and he carried his backpack into the pizzeria and dropped his backpack behind the counter.

"Dad," Fernando said, "I need to go to the jewelry store and pick up Danny’s gift, and probably to the drugstore for a card."

"Okay, Son," Antonio replied, smiling.

After picking up the bracelet from the jewelry, Fernie headed to the drugstore for some wrapping paper and a card. DJ had just started his shift, and greeted Fernando when he came in. Fernando spent about half an hour looking through the birthday cards, finally selecting one that said ‘Happy Birthday to Someone Special’ then, selected some wrapping paper and went to DJ’s terminal to pay.

"Whatcha got in the bag, Fernie?" DJ asked, noting that it was from the jewelry store.

"My friend, Danny, turns 17 tomorrow, it’s a gift for him," Fernie said.

"Can I see it?" DJ asked. Fernie pulled the little box from the bag, opened it and handed it to DJ. DJ looked at it, flipping it to read the backside, and displayed that infectious smile. "Fernie, it’s beautiful, if my friend gave that to me, I would cherish it forever."

"Danny’s family are taking Danny to Olive Garden tomorrow night, to celebrate his birthday, and they’ve asked me to go with them, and help him celebrate," Fernie said, excitedly, "I can hardly wait, I like Danny so much!" DJ cashed Fernie out, $4.43, and Fernie paid cash.

"Fernie, have fun tomorrow night," DJ said, wrapping an arm around Fernando’s shoulders and squeezing him. Fernando grinned, he thrives on affection, and it was something he’d rarely received when he lived at his Papa’s house.

By the time Fernando returned to the pizzeria, Jamie had clocked in and the Friday night business was starting to pick up. Jamie, Antonio and Maria all looked at the gift and all agreed that is was very nice.

"Mom," Fernando asked, "would you help me to wrap Danny’s gift?"

"Honey," Maria replied, "it’s Friday night, and we’re starting to get busy. Why don’t you put it on the desk in the office, so it won’t get misplaced, and I’ll be happy to do it tomorrow."

Fernando placed the gift, and the card and wrapping paper in the office. He then returned out front and spent Friday night balancing between carryout orders, cashing out customers, and assisting the servers. He even served a few tables on his own.

Saturday morning, Maria prepared them all breakfast and Maria, Antonio and Fernando ate together. Before they left for the pizzeria, Fernie put some ‘dressier' clothes on a hanger to take with them, so that he could change before the White’s picked him up that evening. While it was slow in the afternoon, Maria and Fernando wrapped the package, and Fernie signed the card, placing it, along with the package, into the bag from the jewelers, and stashed it back into the office.

Sometime Saturday, Josh White went to the bakery at the supermarket and had a chocolate sheet cake decorated, and then drove to Olive Garden. He reserved a table for 7:30 PM, for a party of five for a Birthday Celebration, and left the cake with them. They put a sticky note on the plastic cake cover, ‘Danny White, 17, 7:30 Reserv’ and took it to the walk-in cooler.

About 6:30 PM, Fernie excused himself, and disappeared into the office to change. He returned a few minutes later looking exceptionally handsome. Maria and Antonio have a mountain of love for their (foster) son, and he would likely be handsome in their eyes if he were butt naked, although neither of them has ever seen Fernie that way. Fernie sat on the bench, where people sit while waiting for carryout orders, awaiting the arrival of the Whites.

Josh White, slipping in, unseen by Fernando, and approaching Antonio, "Is your young man ready to go?"

Antonio, chuckling, "He’s been ready," and pointed to Fernie, now leaping to his feet.

"We should have Fernando back here by ten at the latest," Josh told Antonio, then, placing his hand on Fernando’s shoulder guided him toward the door.

"Wait!" Fernie exclaimed, "I forgot something, I’ll be right back." Fernando ran back to the office and grabbed that most important little bag and returned, and followed Josh out the door.

"What you got there?" Josh asked.

"Just a little something I picked up for Danny," Fernie answered.

When they arrived at Josh’s car, Danny exited the back seat, and pushed Fernando into the center, between Erica and himself. There was little conversation while Josh drove them all to Olive Garden. Danny held Fernando’s hand most of the way, and Fernando and Danny shared frequent smiles between each other.

When they were shown to their table, Danny and Fernie sat together on one side, Erica and Samantha on the other side, and Josh at the end, next to Sam and Fernando. Fernie quietly placed the bag next to his chair. They ordered drinks, and Josh ordered an appetizer for the table. Then came the famous Olive Garden bottomless salad and unlimited breadsticks.

Finally their entrée’s were served and they all enjoyed their dinners together. The server cleaned up their dishes, and a few minutes later the server, and all the other servers, brought in the cake, with 17 flaming candles, and singing ‘Happy Birthday Danny’ and set the cake in front of a ‘pink faced’ Danny.

As per tradition, Danny took a deep breath and blew out all but one of the candles, Fernando assisted, and blew out the last one for him.

"You cheated!" Erica exclaimed, "You had help!" The whole table laughed. The servers set a pile of small plates on the table and one of them pulled all the half-burned candles out of the cake and handed Danny a knife. The cake had a big 17TH in the center with ‘Happy’ written on top and ‘Danny!’ written below the number.

Danny cut the cake and placed pieces of it on the small plates and passed them around the table.

"Danny," Josh stated, "we have some gifts for you, back at the house, you can unwrap them when we get home. I think Fernando has something he wants to give you now."

Fernando reached down beside his chair and retrieved the small bag, then pulled out the card and handed it to Danny. Danny opened it, read it, and a smile covered his face.

"That’s a lovely card, Fernie," Danny said, "thank you so much." Fernando reached back into the bag and grabbed the little package and handed it to Danny. Danny unwrapped the little package, and slowly opened the case. Danny’s eyes fell on the bracelet, and the engraving, ‘Always Friends,’ and tears started to fall from his eyes.

Danny, losing control, turning in his seat, and wrapping his arms around Fernie, "It’s beautiful, Fernie! And it’s so us. I’ll treasure it forever." Danny planted his lips on Fernando’s and kissed him fervently. A few other diners were watching, and some of them had smirks or amused grins on their faces, and Josh felt his face turning red, embarrassed at his son’s PDA. He was thankful that he didn’t know any of them.

Erica reached across the table and picked up the bracelet, examining it. She turned it over and read the engraving on the back, ‘FG & DW’ with today’s date, and smiled, then handed it to Sam, and she then passed it to Josh, and finally it rested back in front of Danny. Danny picked it up, and removed the bracelet from the case. First he kissed it, then held it to his breast, and finally placed it on his wrist, where it belongs. As a rule, Danny is not one to flaunt his sexuality, but neither is he ashamed of it. It is what it is.

Josh paid for their dinner with his debit card, adding a decent tip.

"Are you all about ready to get out of here?" Josh asked.

Danny’s Mom picked up the rest of the cake, and they made their way to the car. It was about a Twenty-minute trip back to the pizzeria. Josh opened the trunk and Sam carefully set the cake down in it. They all sat in the car the same as when they came, Fernando in the center, Erica on his right and Danny on his left.

Erica spoke, "Fernando, I’m glad that you and my brother are so close. Danny needs a nice boy like you to be close friends with, and I like you too."

"Son," Josh spoke, "you embarrassed me tonight, when you kissed Fernie in front of all those people. I know you're gay, and I would expect you to kiss other boys that you might care about. It doesn’t bother me to see you kiss another boy, but I wish you would use some discretion as to where you are when you kiss them, and not do it in front of a crowd, or in front of complete strangers."

"I’m sorry, Dad," Danny replied, "I was just so happy and excited, I kind of—well—I just wasn’t thinking. I’ll try and do better."

They arrived at the pizzeria about 9:45 and Josh walked inside with Fernando.

Josh, approaching Antonio, and smiling, "We brought your boy back, and it’s still before ten."

"How did the party go?" Antonio asked.

"It wasn’t really a party," Josh explained, "It was more of just a family thing, my wife and I, Danny’s sister, Danny and Fernando. We had a really nice time together, I’m quite certain Fernando enjoyed it too, and Danny was very happy that Fernando could be with him on his birthday. Do you have a realization as to how tight those two are?"

"I think I do," Antonio replied, "Given the option, I think they would find a way to glue themselves together!"

Josh, chuckling, "I think they’re already glued together, we all enjoyed having Fernando with us, he is a beautiful and loveable young man."

"Tell me!" Antonio said, "Please don’t tell this to Danny, but Maria and I are considering filing adoption papers, we think we want Fernando as our legal Son. We haven’t made a decision yet, but it’s on our minds."

"Danny filled us out, about Fernando’s past. Fernando has nothing but a heart full of love for you and Maria. That would certainly secure his future, Thanks for letting Fernando share the evening with us."

"You’re very welcome, I know Fernando was excited about helping Danny celebrate his birthday." The two men shook hands, and Josh left, to take his family home.

(to be continued……..)

* * * * * *

Authors Note:

We just finished Chapter 37 on March 17, with Danny’s Birthday.

This is the place where I usually list a little preview of what is coming up in the next chapter, but at this moment, I have no f**cking idea. I need to get into the fuzzy brains of my characters, and find out what they’re planning in the near future, then I can write it down.

If you don’t see DJ Chapter 38 within the next couple of weeks, it could indicate that I have died.

There are a few "planned" events in the offing, including:

The Rainbow Alliance’s picnic, sometime in April

Randy and Daryl’s wedding on May 20th

The end of the college spring semester on May 25th

Jamal and Rusty’s All Gay, clothing optional Pool Party, Date TBA.

 

Other unknown possibilities:

Will Joe’s sister, Julia, contest Aggie’s Will?

Will Damion and Brandon move to North Carolina?

Will Marie accompany Matt when he has his upper surgery?

Will Phil make the decision to return to school?

How will Fernando affect the Card’s softball season?

I hope you folks enjoy reading my tales as much as I enjoy writing them.  Please note my Chapter comment following this chapter, and as always, I appreciate and :heart: comments.
Copyright © 2019 Douglas Spencer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter. Great to see DJ getting backing to normal. Danny had a great birthday. Looking forward to the next chapter and the surprises ahead.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

"Houston, we have a problem!"

I have mentioned this once before.  I have two stories in progress, This one, "DJ" and another, "WATERGAME."  Watergame is a work in progress, and to increase my presence in Gay Authors, I started to upload chapters of a previously written story, DJ, in between Chapters of Watergame.  I had completed, I thought, DJ with 39 Chapters, but the story is still incomplete.  I have been uploading chapters of the Watergame series as I was writing them, thinking the story would be shorter than it has turned out to be.

It's been relatively easy to edit and upload chapters of "DJ" in between chapters of Watergame, but I'm running out of DJ Chapters, and there is a considerable amount of story to be written.  After DJ 39, I will need to pick up the pen (or keyboard) and get back to writing Chapters 40 and beyond.  Bear with me, I'm peddling as fast as I can!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I love this story and the characters that make it so special.  DJ and Jamie are proving to be fine young men with clear goals and are working hard towards them.  I think their cousins and friends are interesting too and I've really come to look forward to the next installment.  Hopefully, the writing bug will strike hard and more chapters will arrive soon!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Doug Spencer said:

"Houston, we have a problem!"

I have mentioned this once before.  I have two stories in progress, This one, "DJ" and another, "WATERGAME."  Watergame is a work in progress, and to increase my presence in Gay Authors, I started to upload chapters of a previously written story, DJ, in between Chapters of Watergame.  I had completed, I thought, DJ with 39 Chapters, but the story is still incomplete.  I have been uploading chapters of the Watergame series as I was writing them, thinking the story would be shorter than it has turned out to be.

It's been relatively easy to edit and upload chapters of "DJ" in between chapters of Watergame, but I'm running out of DJ Chapters, and there is a considerable amount of story to be written.  After DJ 39, I will need to pick up the pen (or keyboard) and get back to writing Chapters 40 and beyond.  Bear with me, I'm peddling as fast as I can!

At first when i heard about Aggie's will i thought she might have included Jamie in it too. Now we're left with DJ  having money to go to University and Jamie doesn't; will that be a problem or would the three heirs cheap in and split it into helping in Jamie's higher education?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I too am loving your story and have been binging on this in between keeping up with a couple of other stories. Im noticing Im almost catching up. Since I love your writing so much and since Watergame has been mentioned a couple of times I expect that will likely be my next venture.

Meantime, Im so glad Granny changed her will and provided for her grandsons educations, though like Joe, I would have much preferred to have Granny still. I also thought she might have included Jamie as well, but now Im thinking that if Julia does have a mind to contest it that would certainly be a real sticking point since hes not her actual grandson. Julia may even try to argue that DJ isnt either since he is only the product of a "sham" marriage ( her words ).

Btw, if youre looking for ideas theres still the possible road trip for Gay Pride, a budding relationship between a certain young man and his older special friend as well as a possible adoption for said young man, Truth is I know all stories must end some time but Im enjoying this so much and as always I dont want the good ones to end. Sending lots of love and inspiration to you and your talented pen.:heart:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..