Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 2,422 Words
  • 4,012 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

18 Weeks of Twoey - 86. Week Thirteen Tuesday, November 25, 2014: Alex Moves In

When someone is out of your life and you’ll never see or talk to them again, it’s sort of like they’re dead.

 

“The Love Song of Jonny Valentine” - Teddy Wayne

 

 

***

 

Twoey

I had just finished breakfast and was checking my backpack, to make sure I had everything, when the doorbell rang. I heard Mom open it and say, “Well, good morning Erik! What brings you here so early?”

I quickly stashed everything and ran out into the foyer just as I heard him say, “I'm driving Twoey to school. I'll be here every morning from now on.” I froze, stunned.

“Hi Erik ...um ...you never told me any of this. How can you do it anyway? Doesn't your mom need her car?”

“Yep.” He had a big grin on his face.

“OK ...I'm officially confused.”

“Well, yesterday was my birthday. The day I got the two greatest presents a 17 year old can receive.”

With that, he opened the door and pointed. There, in the driveway, was a couple year old black Mustang.

“Holy shit! ...oops, sorry Mom ...I didn't know it was your birthday! Damn ...I'd have got you a present.”

Erik Broke into his handsome smile.

“You did. You got me the other greatest present: a perfect boyfriend.”

That did it! In about one second, I was in his arms and sharing a loving kiss. Then, I remembered Mom. I also remembered I had pointedly not told her, but only because I knew Erik wasn't out. I think that's why I didn't. So I grabbed his hand and swung around, giving her a 1000 Watt smile.

“Hey Mom! Erik and I are boyfriends.” I think she forgave me cuz she gave Erik a huge hug.

We hopped into his car as I texted Gary, saying I had a ride to school today. I'll have to figure some way to tell him without telling him, if you know what I mean.

“So, how do you like it?”

“It's fantastic and sexy, just like you. Um ...but the back seat is awfully small.” I gave him a bashful smile.

“Doesn't matter. I told you, you're not back seat material.”

He glanced over at me with a pretty cocky look on his face.

And that's how it began.

Erik and Twoey. Twoey and Erik.

 

Sam

Deena visited me at my locker this morning.

“No one is telling me anything! I want to know about David.”

I brought her up-to-date on his condition. While I was doing that, she rubbed my back a little. Then she had her gray eyes focused on mine.

“Do you know why he was riding his bike way over on Teasdale Street, on a Saturday morning?”

I never doubted that Deena was smart. Not for one minute. But she just revealed a frightening new layer of intelligence to me! I knew I could not even begin to lie to her. She'd read it in one second. If I'm to have any future with her, and I want one, then this is a test. She's doubly clever. I love it! Anyway, I had to answer. I'd waited long enough and I could tell the delay was causing her to expect a lie.

“Yes.”

She did not expect that. She smiled at me. Then Deena said something I didn't expect.

“You can't tell me though, right?”

“No.”

“That's OK, Sam. You're a good friend and can be trusted. You just proved it to me.”

Then she kissed me and left. “See you later Sam!”

I stood there, speechless. I think I passed the test.

 

Alex

“Yep! That's exactly what he said. Nothing lights up his face like a visit from me. Twoey wants to be my friend and he has all but given me his blessings to go after David.”

Randy looked like somebody just took away his birthday.

“Hey Randy, it's OK! You can screw up once in a while. It makes you more human, even if it's not what you’d like to be.” I was really putting it to him after all the days of him giving me shit. This was fun!

He gave me a sour look. “Well, don't count your chickens ...he's not your boyfriend yet.”

I put a dumb blond look on my face and added a little Southern accent.

“Why Randy Foels! I do declare! You don't even seem happy for me ...your very best friend!” I batted my eyes.

He just peered at me, smirked, and then went to back to his homework.

I visited David right after school, before any other of his friends got there. I gave him a really long and obviously not Platonic kiss. He took a big gasp of breath, when I broke it, and smiled.

“Well, hello to you too Alex!”

There had been one thing bothering me, just a little. The little green monster inside of me simply had to get it out and onto the table.

“So David, I've been here every day and haven't seen Deena. What gives with that? I thought maybe you guys were a thing.”

“Deena Hart? What on Earth made you think I was going with Deena?”

“Well, weren't you supposed to take her to the Thanksgiving Dance?”

“Yes but that's not ...oh ...hehe ...God no! I mean I like Deena, she's a friend, but the dance thing ended up really being me just trying to get her and my friend Sam to notice each other. Don't you dare ever tell either of them! Deena would make this beating seem like Kindergarten recess and Sam would think of something even far worse to do to me! That was the whole problem, I convinced Twoey to ask Sam to take Lanni because Twoey didn't think he'd be healed by then and I figured with Deena going with me and since Lanni and Deena were best friends then Sam and Deena would be exposed to each other and I just knew they'd hit it off, but when I got abducted and beaten and Twoey was healed enough by then, Twoey went back to taking Lanni and Sam switched and took Deena and according to Twoey, who was in on it all – remember, well according to Twoey, it worked and Sam and Deena seem to really be hitting it off ...um did you even follow all that?”

I was one inch away from rolling on the floor in laughter.

“David, do yourself a favor. Never try to explain stuff like that. You were not created for romantic intrigue.”

Then I couldn't help it. I broke out laughing so hard, David was soon laughing right along with me.

“Honestly, you're right. It didn't start out as complicated, but one thing happened after another and then ...well at least Sam and Deena seem to have found each other ...and that's really all that counts.” And then he took a big breath like, Whew, I'm glad to be done with that!

He's so cute, I love him to pieces. Which, now there is no Deena to worry about ...haha!

I went up to him and looked into those baby blues. I was on his right side and took his hand into both of mine, then leaned over to meet his lips. We held a gentle kiss and then it got a little steamier as I dropped his hand and brought my right hand behind his head, pushing it into the kiss so my tongue was in as deep as I could get it. After we broke the kiss, I stroked my fingers across his face.

“I'm falling so totally in love with you ...it's scary.”

“I think I know how you feel. I've never been in love with a girl before, but this feels right. I miss it when you're not here and I never get tired of you when you are. We don't have any trouble talking about anything and I've already told you stuff I've never told anybody before. Is that love Alex? Kiss me again?”

We were going at it pretty good when a voice pulled us apart.

“Is this part of the service around here? Who are you and why hasn't my best friend mentioned you to me before?”

I looked up to see a really cute, thin guy with braces and bright brown eyes walk into the room. David blushed really red and said, “Um ...Alex, this is my best friend, Gary.”

Hmmm ...that's odd, I had thought Twoey was his best friend. But later he told me he and Gary go back to before he can even remember. They are as close as friends can get and only live a few houses from each other.

Gary wasn't done with David just yet though.

“Well? Speak up. Where have you been hiding this beautiful creature? In your attic? Your basement? Tommy's room? Please say it was Tommy's room ...the little shit needs more experience with girls.”

If I hadn't been used to the wise talk between my two older brothers, and even between Randy and me, I might have been put off by some of his remarks. But I could smell the ball-busting, and Gary was a pro!

He didn't even pause for breath. “Never mind! ...There's nothing your sneaky, lying mind can come up with to get you out of this, so I'll have a pleasant conversation with Alex. You can leave the room, please ...oh ...hehe ...I guess you can't leave, can you? Well then, just lay there and prepare to be embarrassed!”

I like Gary.

“So Alex sweetie. I can call you that since it looks like you're gonna be my sister-in-law. Exactly how did this asshole convince you he was worthy of even a smooch, let alone the attempted seduction I witnessed?”

David piped up. “Garrrrry, be careful! Alex is smart …lots smarter than you. I don't want to witness a castration in this room while I can't even run out and puke.”

I almost felt like sitting down and enjoying the show. But I knew Gary was really curious as to how I suddenly popped up after 15 years ...hehe.

“Gary, it's like this. Easy, actually.” Then I simply knew he was going to say something nasty so I pointed at David, without even looking at him and said, “You! Shut Up. You've done enough damage already.”

“Now Gary, as I was trying to explain, a couple of weeks ago when David was transferred into my social class, my friend Randy and I decided to try and make him welcome. You know how shy he is. One thing led to another, group assignments, running into him a couple of times at Kory's, taking him out to the rink when he was depressed. Things just happened between us. I like him and he likes me. I don't know much about him outside of school and he doesn't know much about me either, so we're trying to get to know each other a little.”

“I noticed!” But he had a neat smile on his face.

Then he said, “Well that explains a lot because these last couple of weeks he's been sort of out of communication with his friends, to put the nicest possible spin on it. I'm glad his life wasn't all anger and depression ...now that I've met you, I can see it wasn't.”

“Gary don't you have to go on a date with Mel now or something?”

David was being pissy. Suddenly I made the connection.

“Mel Hopkins, the swimmer?” Gary smiled and nodded.

“I know Mel! We're friends. Oh ...you're her swimmer boyfriend!”

Gary blushed. David groaned.

“Not another coincidence.”

Then he yelled.

“I hate coincidences!!!”

 

David

I had some time to reflect today. Reflect about Twoey. Reflect about what used to be us. And you know what? I’m an idiot.

Why do I have this feeling of loss, this emptiness, this sudden subtraction of something? Did I expect he would always be there, frozen in the hope that whatever he thought we had, would turn into what he wanted? The real question is, why was I so comfortable with that situation? Looking at it from Twoey’s perspective, it must have been long, slow torture. So why do I feel this way? Shouldn’t I be happy? Happy for my friend and happy I no longer need to torment myself?

The fact I’m not happy has to be telling me something. It must be a clue about myself. I’m beginning to feel I don’t really know myself. Liz exposed some little hole in my wallpaper when she described things I couldn’t, but should have, remembered. It’s when something inside me began picking at that wallpaper. A large piece came off when my father disclosed Burch was somehow in my life when I was young.

There was a time our family was happy. Another piece falls off, tumbling to the floor. Gary stripped off a huge piece, explaining we were not best friends from before the time I can remember. Why is there a before the time I can remember? I suddenly don’t know who I am. I need to do something about it too.

In other news, Gary met Alex today. He’s treating her like my girlfriend. Do I want Alex for a girlfriend? I guess the real question should be, do I have the kind of feelings one should have to want her for a girlfriend? I like Alex. I respect her intelligence. Will her greeting kisses replace Twoey’s? Will there be more? Should there be more? I know she is falling for me. She even told me so today. Am I falling for her? Have I answered that question by even asking it?

I wouldn’t be settling to have her as a girlfriend. There is no other I can think of who would be better, so I’m not settling. I’m definitely not settling. No, not settling. I think I have feelings for Alex. Maybe I should not put a potential relationship under such microscopic analysis. After all, I don’t even know who I am. How can I expect to know how this relationship should feel? I mean, it’s definitely not like with Kathy. Kathy, who I apparently knew and crushed on, as a little boy. Another piece of wallpaper stripped off.

I’m standing in the debris of my life.

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great chapter, skinny! I can so relate to David. That was me in high school. I was totally in love with a boy in my creative writing class and couldn't handle it. So I tried my damndest to fall in love with a girl. Thank God it didn't work out... now I'm hoping things don't work our for Twoey and Erik, and that David wakes up and fights for what he really wants!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

"Why is there a before the time I can remember? I suddenly don’t know who I am."

 

Haunting. I read this story for the gems like this. The wallpaper analogy felt so human, and very real. This is the kind of introspective focus I love in a story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks skinny!

 

Fun all the way around. Sam passed the test, Eric sailed smoothly, Gary connected some nonexistent dots, and Alex bested Randy while snagging (snogging) her not gay boy! And they all lived happily ever after? :)

 

Oh wait, the wallpaper is falling apart. Oh well, things should get interesting again ...

 

I can't wait for David to find a new helper. Gene Simmons perhaps? Who could be better than Dr. Love?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

i know we still have 5 weeks to go, and I have faith it will all work out...but why did it have to be Alex? I just hope neither David or Twoey have a pet rabbit, because she screams bunny boiler.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another excellent chapter. David's wallpaper metaphor is brilliant; the last sentence states things perfectly. His confusion about Alex is understandable, and the emptiness where Twoey used to be is, too. Wiser heads would have him think all this through, but since when has wisdom been a part of the adolescent mind? David has broken bones, not broken hormones.

 

Twoey and Erik will be their thing, whatever that's going to be. Maybe David can end our 18 weeks by seeing that playing out...at least, that's what he seemed to say in this chapter. Sam and Deena pairing off may be very good for Sam. But what's good for David? That will be the subject for the remaining chapters, perhaps?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Erik and Twoey; Twoey and Erik. I don't know if this is going to work out as well as Twoey wants. Is Twoey going to be okay when Erik starts telling him which boys can be his friends? Can this end well?
Sam and Deena, good match, and Sam needs her as much as she needs him.
Alex ... icky! David better watch out or he'll be in for it if this relationship doesn't work out, which just might happen when David realizes how clingy Alex can be.
And, David? Repressed memories? Amnesia from the attack? What's going on in his brain and will Twoey's mom come to the rescue in time to save him? Did we miss something at the end of the David section? No goodnight call from Twoey?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Quick! Bring on the redecorating team of Ginny and Dr. Keating to get rid of that old, ripping wallpaper and fix David up with some new horizons! Or perhaps it will be a group from NYC, headed up by Grandpa and Uncle John, who will reveal David's hidden (from him) past and let him get on with his life.

 

Or maybe David's new meditation "partner" will be Norm Abram! :-)

 

Meantime, Alex seems to be provoking some introspection which can only be good, even if to my mind she's way too pushy and a little overbearing! She will no doubt do her best to distract David from thinking about Twoey and Erik and their romantic interlude. Note that I'm not believing that this is anything long term! As usual, we'll just have to see how it all unfolds. Thanks, Skinny!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/11/2016 02:34 PM, FlyOnTheWall said:

Another great chapter, skinny! I can so relate to David. That was me in high school. I was totally in love with a boy in my creative writing class and couldn't handle it. So I tried my damndest to fall in love with a girl. Thank God it didn't work out... now I'm hoping things don't work our for Twoey and Erik, and that David wakes up and fights for what he really wants!

Thanks Geoff!

 

David hasn't been too lucky with girlfriends either. I wonder how successful Alex will be with him. She's sure determined! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/11/2016 02:43 PM, Milos said:

"Why is there a before the time I can remember? I suddenly don’t know who I am."

 

Haunting. I read this story for the gems like this. The wallpaper analogy felt so human, and very real. This is the kind of introspective focus I love in a story.

Thanks so much for your kind words Milos!

 

Well, you sure get a lot of introspection from David ...hehe.

I always believe we need to understand why a character does what he does. People generally don't act randomly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/11/2016 09:08 PM, said:

Thanks skinny!

 

Fun all the way around. Sam passed the test, Eric sailed smoothly, Gary connected some nonexistent dots, and Alex bested Randy while snagging (snogging) her not gay boy! And they all lived happily ever after? :)

 

Oh wait, the wallpaper is falling apart. Oh well, things should get interesting again ...

 

I can't wait for David to find a new helper. Gene Simmons perhaps? Who could be better than Dr. Love?

Thanks oxala!

 

You mean this isn't IT? We're not DONE? Damn, I was going to cut the story short as soon as Alex made herself David's girlfriend. Talk about horsey-forced!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 12:03 AM, mitchelll said:

i know we still have 5 weeks to go, and I have faith it will all work out...but why did it have to be Alex? I just hope neither David or Twoey have a pet rabbit, because she screams bunny boiler.

Thanks mitchelll !

 

Why does nobody like Alex??? David does. I guess that's all that counts.

 

We'll watch closely.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 02:15 AM, Parker Owens said:

Another excellent chapter. David's wallpaper metaphor is brilliant; the last sentence states things perfectly. His confusion about Alex is understandable, and the emptiness where Twoey used to be is, too. Wiser heads would have him think all this through, but since when has wisdom been a part of the adolescent mind? David has broken bones, not broken hormones.

 

Twoey and Erik will be their thing, whatever that's going to be. Maybe David can end our 18 weeks by seeing that playing out...at least, that's what he seemed to say in this chapter. Sam and Deena pairing off may be very good for Sam. But what's good for David? That will be the subject for the remaining chapters, perhaps?

Thanks for the nice words Parker!

 

You're right. This could be the last chapter ...maybe the next one if Alex crowns herself girlfriend.

 

Sure

 

Somehow I'm guessing things are gonna get complicated :o

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 02:24 AM, CarlHoliday said:

Erik and Twoey; Twoey and Erik. I don't know if this is going to work out as well as Twoey wants. Is Twoey going to be okay when Erik starts telling him which boys can be his friends? Can this end well?

Sam and Deena, good match, and Sam needs her as much as she needs him.

Alex ... icky! David better watch out or he'll be in for it if this relationship doesn't work out, which just might happen when David realizes how clingy Alex can be.

And, David? Repressed memories? Amnesia from the attack? What's going on in his brain and will Twoey's mom come to the rescue in time to save him? Did we miss something at the end of the David section? No goodnight call from Twoey?

Thanks Carl!

 

I think you've got the Twoey/Erik relationship sussed out pretty well. Sad for Twoey.

 

repressed memories = not good

 

Yep! No phone call - 1st time :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 07:11 AM, jess30519 said:

Quick! Bring on the redecorating team of Ginny and Dr. Keating to get rid of that old, ripping wallpaper and fix David up with some new horizons! Or perhaps it will be a group from NYC, headed up by Grandpa and Uncle John, who will reveal David's hidden (from him) past and let him get on with his life.

 

Or maybe David's new meditation "partner" will be Norm Abram! :-)

 

Meantime, Alex seems to be provoking some introspection which can only be good, even if to my mind she's way too pushy and a little overbearing! She will no doubt do her best to distract David from thinking about Twoey and Erik and their romantic interlude. Note that I'm not believing that this is anything long term! As usual, we'll just have to see how it all unfolds. Thanks, Skinny!

Thanks jess!

 

my my. no faith in Erik (or maybe too much faith?)

 

See, I told you Alex had a good side. And everybody is hating her. tsk. tsk.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Things happened in this chapter. Twoey and Erik.. Erik, pushy much? This is just the beginning.
Sam and Denna, I love..

 

But its all about David. It's both a relief and heartbreaking watching him try to figure this all out.. He's grasping at something, but he's not ready still or his brain is trying to protect him a while longer. I just have the image of a little lost boy with those pieces of wallpaper floating around him.. When he puts those pieces together or when it all peels away, will he be ready? It's going to be rough seas ahead huh Skinny..

 

Thank you for another great chapter..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 12:39 PM, Defiance19 said:

Things happened in this chapter. Twoey and Erik.. Erik, pushy much? This is just the beginning.

Sam and Denna, I love..

 

But its all about David. It's both a relief and heartbreaking watching him try to figure this all out.. He's grasping at something, but he's not ready still or his brain is trying to protect him a while longer. I just have the image of a little lost boy with those pieces of wallpaper floating around him.. When he puts those pieces together or when it all peels away, will he be ready? It's going to be rough seas ahead huh Skinny..

 

Thank you for another great chapter..

Thanks Def!

 

I think you're right about his brain not ready to give up the secrets just yet. When he remembers, it would be best if he were on a psychiatrists couch, but you know David. Now that Twoey's gone, he sees no need for Dr. Keating.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I don't like Erik just showing up out of the blue and telling Twoey he's going to take him to school every morning.

 

Twoey liked his morning walk to school with his friends. Is Erik trying to slowly alienate Twoey from his friends? I don't like that. I know you readers don't like Erik. I do like Erik, but I don't want him being possessive of Twoey, or God forbid, 'tell' Twoey who he can be friends with, as Carl pointed out.

 

Love Sam and Deena. Sam was too smart NOT to pass Deena's test! :D

 

Alex is too much right now. She's coming on way too strong, and how come David isn't turned off by that?

 

Like everyone else, I loved David's description of the wallpaper peeling. Why can't he remember? Because I'm betting he was sexually abused when he was young. My bet it was that s.o.b. Burke and/or PPF while TWWWFRN was probably watching the whole thing. I wouldn't put it past the VB (vicious bitch). And where the f was Daddy Dearest while his oldest son was being abused? Hanging with Gary's dad no doubt.

 

I can't wait until PPF and TWWWFRN are caught. That can't happen soon enough.

 

Excellent chapter, Skinny! :)

 

On to the next one!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/15/2016 09:22 AM, Lisa said:

I don't like Erik just showing up out of the blue and telling Twoey he's going to take him to school every morning.

 

Twoey liked his morning walk to school with his friends. Is Erik trying to slowly alienate Twoey from his friends? I don't like that. I know you readers don't like Erik. I do like Erik, but I don't want him being possessive of Twoey, or God forbid, 'tell' Twoey who he can be friends with, as Carl pointed out.

 

Love Sam and Deena. Sam was too smart NOT to pass Deena's test! :D

 

Alex is too much right now. She's coming on way too strong, and how come David isn't turned off by that?

 

Like everyone else, I loved David's description of the wallpaper peeling. Why can't he remember? Because I'm betting he was sexually abused when he was young. My bet it was that s.o.b. Burke and/or PPF while TWWWFRN was probably watching the whole thing. I wouldn't put it past the VB (vicious bitch). And where the f was Daddy Dearest while his oldest son was being abused? Hanging with Gary's dad no doubt.

 

I can't wait until PPF and TWWWFRN are caught. That can't happen soon enough.

 

Excellent chapter, Skinny! :)

 

On to the next one!

Thanks Lisa!

 

Yes, Erik's little exhibit could be taken two ways. Either the exuberance of having a car and boyfriend, or the start of expecting to be in control of Twoey. I guess we'll have to keep alert!

 

I think one reason David might not be turned off is that he actually likes Alex.

 

That whole story of Burch and PPF when he was younger and now can't remember does throw up some red flags. Let's hope it can get resolved, for David's sake.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The teen angs still drives me nuts, but you're doing a great job showing how quickly teens become boy/girl friends. And I love how David considers himself oh so smart yet acts like an idiot when it comes to what he is and wants. Silly adolescent males seem to be pretty much alike. Excellent job. When you're ready to have David slapped silly, call me :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/19/2016 03:08 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

The teen angs still drives me nuts, but you're doing a great job showing how quickly teens become boy/girl friends. And I love how David considers himself oh so smart yet acts like an idiot when it comes to what he is and wants. Silly adolescent males seem to be pretty much alike. Excellent job. When you're ready to have David slapped silly, call me :)

Thanks Carlos!

 

Yes, I think when you're older it becomes a kind of commitment, becoming boy/girl friends.

When you're 15, it's often like selecting your clothes. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..