Jump to content
    gabz2000
  • Author
  • 1,374 Words
  • 3,051 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Into the fields of Summer - 30. Healing 1

Chapter 30 - Healing

 
Victor joined Dad and I for breakfast. Dad took the lead with cooking and Victor was more than welcome to help him cook the pancakes.
 
After breakfast, I volunteered to do the dishes. And within minutes we were already in the study, and dad and I were back in the grind for my lessons.
 
Quite honestly, I think dad was taking it easy on me that morning, but if he feels better that way, I won’t force him, as we discussed before, I’m not behind the lesson plan anyway.
 
Dad was seated a few feet away from me and I was just reading Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter for a book report dad assigned to me. Dad kept looking at me, kinda weirded me out actually coz most of the time he leaves me be unless I actively ask him for help.
 
“What’s up dad?” I asked while flicking one of the pages.
 
“Huh?”
 
“You’re staring”
 
“Oh...”
 
“Oh... what?” I smiled.
 
“Nothing... nothing... sorry”
 
“For a moment, I thought you were thinking of using this book as your starting point into an hour long discussion on social stigma and sexuality” I smiled at him.
 
“Oh goodness no, but I can see what you’re getting at” he forced a smile. “I just spaced out a bit, that’s all” he then looked seriously at me, then said, “fine, actually, seeing you, here, in front of me right now, just makes me so happy, we were all this close to losing you, and just the thought of...” dad’s voiced cracked at this point, tears welling in his eyes.
 
I closed the book and went over to my dad and gave him a good hug. “Don’t worry dad, no one’s losing anyone” I smiled back at him.
 
“It’s just that... “ his voice trailed off, “it’s just ..., Losing your mom was horrible, but the thought of losing you?, it makes me lose sleep, I love you so much Chris, you’re my son, my wonderful son, and I... and I... can’t really just...” Dad was almost sobbing at this point.
 
I tightened my hug around my dad, “I’ll stay, I’m here, I’m not going anywhere” i firmly replied.
 
Over lunch dad and I had some Mexican food delivered. Over lunch I started to redirect the point of conversation, and what best to distract a doting father than discussing college applications, hehe.
 
“Dad... I have a question, it’s about my college applications”
 
While eating his burrito, dad immediately gave me full attention and answered “So how’s college application going?, anything I can help you with?”
 
I shrugged my shoulders, chewed my taco and then replied. “Well, I applied for Early Decision for Stoker University, results should be out by mid-December, My applications for University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, Brown, Princeton, NYU, and Yale should be out by either Feb or March, I’m really nervous, do you think I should have applied to more?”
 
“Stoker University Eh?” Dad gave me a curious look.
 
“Yeah, it’s just 40 miles away from here, and it’s a really good one, do you know that the have several Nobel laureates as faculty members?, and among the alumni 7 are Nobel laureates, 3 Fields Medal awardees, and I think 1 or 2 Prtizker awardees and 8 or so Pulitzer Prize winners, several politicians and Fortune500 CEOs as well.” Explaining to dad why I chose Stoker University as my main choice.
 
“Yeah, it’s a good choice, I’m just surprised you pushed through with it, last time we talked about your options you were leaning with prioritizing Yale” Dad said.
 
“I just don’t know dad, a few days before the deadline, somehow I decided, no, actually, I was drawn to the University” I explained, then I added “somehow it just made sense, but I really don’t know why”
 
“Hmm... that’s curious” dad said as he looked at me.
 
“Why?, what’s the matter?” I asked. Thinking that dad wasn’t fully supporting my decision although we’ve already talked about this, that he’ll support me with whichever university I choose.
 
“No, nothing, it’s just I’m happy, if ever you’ll ever get accepted, which I have a good feeling that you will, it’ll just mean that you can stay here and not move several miles if not hundreds of miles away” dad smiled.
 
“Haha, dad, well, there’s that, but I don’t know, the school is practically as good as an Ivy League or any other major Public Uni, it’s just weird that it’s not getting any substantial media attention or anything” I replied.
 
“True, it’s a highly secretive University, highly selective as well, but once you get in, trust me, all the employers will be all over you, a company that’s ‘in the know’ would hire any graduate of Stoker in a heartbeat.” Dad replied as he drank his juice.
 
“Well... I hope i’lI get in” shrugged my shoulders again. “Doesn’t it just weird you out though, that they’re not sending agents out there to recruit students, no brochures, no campus tours, no massive online marketing campaign, let alone very few news articles about it, I had to actually like really dig deep to know that Stoker is more than just a university hidden in the forests of Virginia.
 
“Maybe ask your boyfriend about that” Dad smiled.
 
“Whaaat... what do you mean dad?” My face was all over the place by then, I didn’t know what dad meant, but Victor being part of the conversation may mean there’s something more about this university.
 
“Not my story to tell kiddo” dad smiled and winked as we starting clearing the table.
 
Sigh, getting back into a routine feels a little bit refreshing actually, I was thinking about when I’d start to lose the voice in my mind telling me that I’m worthless, dirty, a nobody when Victor walked in the living room and sat beside me. Victor gave me a kiss on the cheek.
 
“So how’s your day Chris?”
 
“Oh back with the lessons again with dad, and we had Mexican for lunch”
 
“Yeah, I can tell, I can smell it”
 
“What?! Really? I just brushed my teeth!” I said in embarrassment.
 
“Not your breath you doof, I can smell it all over the house, remember vampire sense of smell?” Victor said with a teasing smile.
 
“Oh... yeah hehe” I lightly punched his right shoulder.
 
“Hey now, no punching the trainer, speaking of which we’ll have to wait for Leo right? How about let’s drop by Martin’s?”
 
“Oh... dude... I just had lunch, aren’t you vampires suppose to be less hungry than humans when it comes to normal food?” I asked.
 
“There’s always room for dessert right? And I didn’t have lunch, come on, some early afternoon date with your boyfriend” Victor said. And I just can’t resist his amazing smile especially when he gives me his puppy eyes together with him suggestively lifting one of his eyebrows later on.
 
“Fine, let me just get my stuff”
 
I was seated beside Victor in his car. He was driving us to Martin’s, he held my hand as he drove. I was looking out the window when he asked me, “So, how are you really doing?” His face filled with concern.
 
“I’m fine, I guess” I said, giving him a small smile. The bruises in my ankle and wrists are still somewhat visible but they’ve started to heal, other bruises in my body are not that far behind, but every time I look at myself in the mirror, I just can’t help myself from thinking that I’m disgusting.
 
As we parked the car, Victor looked at me straight in the eyes, he cupped my face with both his hands, gently caressing my cheeks with his thumbs. “We’ll get through this, together, you understand?” He kissed my forehead. I nodded back at him and we walked together to our favorite cafe holding hands.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Copyright © 2019 gabz2000; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Stoker University is a fun name for the university that tops Chris' list. I wonder how many of the award winning staff are vampires.  I bet it is the center for research on Nublood advances. It really is nice to see Chris beginning to heal.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..