Jump to content
    gabz2000
  • Author
  • 1,546 Words
  • 2,714 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Into the fields of Summer - 27. Broken Soul 2

I had no dream that night. For a moment I thought I’ll be plagued with nightmares but none came. Part of me was relieved that no nightmares came, part of me was worried that something was wrong, shouldn’t I be traumatized enough to wake up in cold sweats at night?
 
Rays of sunshine peering through the blinds of the hospital window woke me up. I looked at the wall clock at is was half past 9.
 
Victor was sitting beside me, looking at me intently. “Good morning.”
He said as he kissed my forehead.
 
“How are you feeling?” He asked.
 
It took almost 30 seconds for me to speak. The first words I’ve said since yesterday was “I’m thirsty”

Victor quickly and gladly got me a cup of water. “Here. Have some water.” Victor helped me sit upright, also adjusting the angle of my bed to support me. “Take it slow okay?” He said.
 
I just nodded as I slowly sipped my cup of water.
 
I looked around the room and realized it was only Victor and myself. I scrunched up my face looking for Dad and Leo.
 
Victor noticed me looking around.
“I sent your dad home, he’s barely had any sleep, Leo as well.”
 
“Okay...” I said. My voice was raspy.
 
“Are you hungry?” Victor asked. He had such a kind and warm smile. His eyes filled with love and genuine concern for my well-being.
 
“Uh... a little bit. Yeah” I said. I coughed a bit. Not realizing how dry my throat has been.
 
I ate my breakfast in silence. Eggs, Banana, and a side of salad. I was able to eat at least half of it. I’ll consider that a success. I didn’t speak to nor make any eye contact with Victor as I ate my breakfast. At some points I caught myself spacing out, not sure where my mind actually went but oh well, I’m here now aren’t I? I should be relieved that I’ve been rescued, but why is it that I feel so empty, and that feeling of helplessness within me is still there. It’s as if I’m still held captive by my captors.
 
I don’t know why I feel so detached, must be the trauma or something I thought. I tried to trigger some feelings, I tried to remember happy, sad, funny, even borderline embarrassing memories, but nothing worked, the only thing that came out again and again was emptiness, it was as if a large hole was dug deep into me, as if any emotion whether negative nor positive thrown at me will just be swallowed and be forgotten into oblivion.
 
Victor intently watched me as I ate. He observed me. I knew he was doing his best to be patient with me. The way he looked at me showed a lot, it was a mix of a various emotions, there was clearly relief, as well as pain, frustration, anger, love, and confusion.
After I told him that I’m done with breakfast... Victor just tucked the food tray away. He hugged me and kissed my forehead and said “I’m so happy you’re with us, I can’t live without you, we’ll all get through this, you’ll get through this” he sniffled. “I’m so sorry I wasn’t there for you, I should have been there for you...” he was crying now as he hugged me tight.”I don’t know what I would do with my life if I lost you, Chris, I’m so so sorry, please forgive me, this should not have happened!, this is my fault, please don’t leave me, please... stay with me” Victor was now sobbing beside me.
 
I hugged him back, gave him a squeeze but I didn’t say anything. I honestly didn’t know what to say at that point.
 
Before lunch time a male nurse entered the room and gave me a sponge bath. I was still too weak to stand at that moment. The wet cloth was more than welcome... it made me feel less dirty, but still dirty inside nonetheless.
 
Dad and Leo arrived at around lunchtime. They had warm smiles to greet me. Dad kissed me on the cheek and Leo gave me a good hug.
I only nodded and smiled a bit at them... told them “I’m feeling better” and those were the only words they got from me until the three of them left the room so they could talk to my doctor.
 
As soon as I was alone, tears started to flow from my eyes. I wanted to wail, to scream, to shout in pain and in anger and in sadness and in disgust but all that came were the tears, never ending tears, I don’t know why I’m crying, am in pain? am i frustrated? am I angry? I don’t really know. All I knew was that my body wanted to cry it’s soul out, and that’s basically what I did.
 
—-
Victor’s POV
 
At around 2pm. William, Leo, and Myself went to Dr. Page’s office.
 
“We’re concerned about him doc” William said. “He doesn’t seem to be himself”
 
“He’s barely spoken nor even recognized our presence ever since he woke up” I said.
 
“He’s traumatized. He’s been through a lot. I said he’ll make a full physical recovery, and he will, but the emotional and mental trauma may take more time” Dr. Page said the continued. “At this moment he’s in a very fragile emotional and mental state, he’ll need all your support to get through this, most likely he’ll blame himself or start hating himself for what happened to him, it’s very important that you guys as family and close friends reassure him that he’s wanted and has self worth, in cases like his, it’s hard to predict the exact reaction we’ll have from him, but all I can say is that we’ll have to take it slow with him, we’ll have to see how he’s responding to any stimulus may it be gestures, actions, and even words we say around him” Dr. Page explained.
 
We went back to Chris’ room he was staring at the tv, not sure if he was really paying attention to the National Geographic documentary playing.
 
Chris has barely said anything or even moved much the entire afternoon. His eyes are a little bit red, most likely he cried when we left the room. I couldn’t help myself, I know I promised to not read his mind, but I had to get at least some sort of idea or clue of what he’s thinking, i at least had to know, so that maybe I’ll be able to help him better.
 
I then expanded the reaches of my mind from where I was sitting in the couch. My thought tendrils carefully skipped William and Leo, my mind reach out to Chris. The tendrils of my thoughts slowly making contact with his mind. I carefully inserted myself into his mind, being careful to avoid altering him, of a foreign presence in his mind.
 
When I finally was able to enter his mind, what I found shocked me,
I found nothing but total darkness, it was as cold void. The feeling of which sent shivers down my spine. The mind of my loved one feels numb. It was as if I was naked outside right on the dead of winter, his mind was numbingly cold.
 
This can’t be, how can he be so detached from anything around him? It’s as if he’s shut down himself form everyone else. I tried to slowly creep in further down into the mind of Chris, and I can only hope he’ll forgive me for doing this, but I have to find out, this might be my only chance of being able to help him, but as I slowly went deeper and deeper, I encountered barrier after barrier until it became so overwhelming for me that i visibly jerked back from my seat, that’s the first time that’s ever happened to me, not even the best trained vampires have repelled my advances in such a manner.
 
I tried to compose myself again, it’s good Chris hasn’t noticed my reaction earlier, I tried again, and now, on my first try itself, I was immediately faced with a very strong mind barrier, the tendrils of my thought could only wrap around it, it’s cold, hard, and thick, and ... if I may dare say this, impenetrable, the first I’ve ever encountered. What’s happened to Chris? No human, nor vampire has resisted me before, have I gone soft? Is that it? No, that’s impossible, I know I did my best, my slight headache is confirmation of that, how can Chris have such a strong mind barrier?
 
Not giving up, I tried again, and now the barrier retaliated and I visibly flinched, Chris saw something was amiss and I immediately stopped.
“something the matter?” He asked, he seemed to still be clueless of what I’ve tried to do.
 
“oh nothing, I think I spaced out and almost let go of my phone by accident, hehe” I lied.
 
“ah, ok” he replied.
Copyright © 2019 gabz2000; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 7
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The doctor told William, Leo, and Victor that Chris was brutally abused and has significant tears to his rectum as well as the bruising on his neck, wrists and ankles. The doctor also said that he would heal physically after awhile but his mental health would take longer to come back to normal. I hope that he makes a full recovery and returns to his former happy self for the sake of everyone who knows and loves him. It would be nice if Victor was able to get more information out of Chris by reading his mind except all he’s finding is cold darkness.  

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I think the barrier is the Elvish protection that protects Chris from anyone knowing who he is! And his Elvish genes might be protecting him also from the trauma he endured until he can deal with it himself! Plus maybe he needs his pendant to help heal him, so where is it?

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have no clue why Chris' barrier is so strong, although I am intrigued by comments it is an elvish defense.  I hope that Chris' memories are still there and will lead to some answers to the crime that was committed.  I also worry that the test results for STDs has not come back from the lab yet.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..