Jump to content
    gabz2000
  • Author
  • 3,084 Words
  • 3,783 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Into the fields of Summer - 81. Preparations 1

 

I was nervous. I was breathing heavily and Leo and Victor were immediately at my side, rubbing my back.

“Oh god...he knows...he knows”

I repeated, my voice in strained in anxiety.

“We can’t be sure of that... right Luca?” Victor asked his sire for affirmation.

“I’m sorry Victor...but we already both know that’s highly unlikely”

“Shit...shit...shit...” I muttered as I covered my face with my hands.

“Chris...relax...we’ll deal with this, Reza didn’t do anything to you right? He wasn’t aggressive or anything? Did he give out any sign at all that he was on to you?” Victor asked me as he continued he continued to rub my back.

“Uhm...” I turned to Victor, he was doing his best to smile back at me, but it was clearly forced, he was obviously unnerved by this development as well. “He was ... *gulp* actually...nice to me”

“Okay...okay...that’s good right?” Victor turned to his sire.

“With Reza...we don’t know, he’s a level headed guy, that thing is certain, he’s too old for political games, he’s spent centuries steering the Vampire Community, he wouldn’t act in a rash manner” Luca calmly stated.

“What do we do now?” Victor asked for the rest of us.

“Sleep, that’s all we can do for now, if I call Reza or reach out to him right now, it’ll just give him more reason to be suspicious” Luca stated.

Luca then approached me and hugged me “we’ll get through this, I’m sorry, I was careless earlier, this wouldn’t have happened if I was more vigilant”

“No...no...uhm, don’t blame yourself Luca, as you said, we’ll get through this” I replied as I pulled back a bit from our hug and looked into his eyes. It was filled with guilt and worry.

“Let’s play this by ear okay? Let’s regroup early in the morning” Luca suggested to all of us.

—-

Victor and I retired to our bedroom, we silently took our shower together, both taking comfort in each other’s touch.

As I drifted off to sleep, I found myself back in the tower. I counted the floors in the atrium, and I realized I was on the 19th floor, I’ve crossed over to realm often enough to know and feel the subtle difference that I was in the tower as a projection, not being 100% physically there just like the first few times I’ve visited the realm.

I walked around the level, it had books and scrolls. I took my time going around the various shelves, as I glossed and skimmed over several books.

I then picked out a book bound in black leather, and it was about the thing that has plagued me several times, it was an in-depth analysis of the Kumhakta process.

The book was written by Drifor, The High Mage of the Elves during the reign of King Sodus, the 6th ruler of the House of Eyaha, the book was written when Trajan was still Emperor of the Roman Empire.

It detailed how the Kumhakta was an affliction amongst the most powerful of elves, and that what set elves that were prone to a Kumhakta is that instead of drawing energy from their surroundings and elements, these elves instead created their own energy.

It explained how the Hakta process, or the process of diffusion that Yal and Patri did to me the first time I had a Kumhakta was an imperfect solution and even self diffusion would not be enough as such elves will always generate more and more energy.

However, the book did note that it was only expected that an elf with such power would only ever experience a Kumhakta, once or twice in their lifetime, assuming the elf survives and is treated during the first episode, as it is usually decades, if not centuries, before the power levels of that elf reach the threshold for another episode of Kumhakta.

That part wasn’t entirely reassuring as I’ve certainly had more than two Kumhaktas in the past few weeks and add on a few more close calls.

The High Mage did however posit, that the occurrence of Kumhakta amongst the Elvenkind would stop within a millennium or so, as the world reaches a balance in energy. The book has assumed that Elves who are prone to have a Kumhakta are nature’s way of releasing excess energy, thus their ability to generate their own energy.

The book detailed several methods of power diffusion, and Hakta methods. I bet this information would be helpful to Patri, Yal, and most likely the current High Mage as well.

Drifor was working on another solution to addressing the Kumhakta process. He theorized that a magical seal, can be conjured and imparted on the elf, the seal would help the elf take control of the strength welling inside him, rendering the Kumhakta process unnecessary and redundant; however, amongst his experiments with three elves, all attempts failed, as he realized that the seal should be as strong as the elf being sealed, which was difficult to accomplish as someone who was having a Kumhakta was beyond Platinum level.

I sighed, as I realized that there is no solution for my condition. And that I’d just have to deal with the daily power diffusion sessions to avoid another bout of Kumhakta.

I resolved that I should just be more aware of my energy levels to avoid a Kumhakta again.

I then found several more scrolls by Drifor, these were now about magic theory, and actually seemed to be an older version or maybe even different version of the ones I’d read and learned so far. It seems the Elven understanding of magic and the elements continued to evolve from his time. Drifor’s methods were simply forgotten or replaced by other improved versions of such theories.

—-

The sun was peering through the window when I regained consciousness back in our room. Victor was already awake and facing me, his beautiful green eyes staring back at me.

“Good morning” I smiled at him.

“Good morning, it seems you slept well”

“Hmm...I actually dreamed of being in the Tower, and spent hours reading”

“Really?”

“Yep”

“So all that reading led you to having such a well rested face while sleeping?” Victor teased.

“Hmm...maybe” I said, as I pushed closer towards him for a good morning kiss.

“Breakfast should be ready soon” Victor remarked as we got off the bed and stretched our bodies.

Victor then hugged me from behind and spoke “So are you still worried about Reza?”

I took a deep breath, and answered “of course, but it is what it is, we’ll deal with it as it happens, I do have a feeling though, that he meant me no harm last night, even if he realized I was an elf”

Victor slightly tightened his hug around me and kissed my neck.

“Hmm... Reza is a decent guy, that’s a given, but it’s good if we’re cautious the next time we’re around him, he’s more or less one of if not the most influential vampires in the High Council”

“I understand” I then turned around and added, “so he really is 568 years old?”

“Yes...”

“Wow, he’s even older than Patri, my grandfather is just 514 years old”

“Hehe, there are only three members of the High Council that are more than 500 years old, you just happened to bump into one last night” Victor said as he now pulled me again towards him and kissed my forehead.

“Don’t worry Chris, I’m sure Luca will help us handle this, and Reza, is a reasonable person...based on what I’ve heard”

“Just can’t believe that I spoke to someone that old last night, he blended in so well, I thought people would be all over him, especially given his status”

“Most likely he used his ability, being half a millennia old, he can easily present himself as someone else, or create visual distractions to people around him to make him disappear into the haze of someone’s peripheral vision”

“That’s scary”

“Also explains why he is in the High Council”

After a few more minutes in the room, we decided to go get some breakfast. The dining area was only half full when we arrived, we were only with Dad, August, Leo, Lucy, Erica, and Hashim, as Troy, Mark, Raymond, and Patrick went out to London for some Boxing Day sales.

Lucy and Erica did however note that they were going to the city later for some shopping as well.

Luca entered the dining room, with coffee in hand, he was now back to his calm and collected demeanor and he exchanged pleasantries with everyone.

At some point it was only me, Luca, and Victor that were left at the Dining table when Hashim notified him of a guest entering the estate’s driveway.

Luca asked Hashim who it was and the younger vampire whispered to Luca, which only earned a nod from the older elf.

“He’s here, sooner than expected”

“Who?” Victor asked.

“Reza”

I went stiff for a few seconds and it wasn’t until Victor started soothing my back and Luca started calming me down for me to regain some semblance of awareness.

“It’s going to be fine, it’s a good sign if he hasn’t brought the entirety of Stratos with him” Luca smiled a bit which somehow made me laugh a bit.

“What do we do now?” Victor asked.

“Let’s give our guest a proper welcome” Luca suggested. And then off we went to the portico entrance of the mansion.

In came a black, heavily tinted SUV. The SUV stopped near the entrance, and the door swung open with a neatly dressed Reza.

He was wearing a blue shirt and dark pants, with black shoes and and had a gray sweater on him. He actually looked more handsome now in daylight.

“Ahh...Reza, what a pleasant surprise” Luca greeted the older vampire with a hug.

“Luca, my friend” Reza said as he hugged Luca. Reza then set his gaze upon Victor and then pulled my boyfriend for a hug as well “Victor, child, you do us proud, good job with that entire fiasco with Agatha and Gustav”

“Councilor, Good Morning, and thank you” Victor replied as he returned the vampires hug.

“And...Chris...it seems our paths have crossed again so soon?” Reza said as he pulled me in for a hug.

I was taken aback by his demeanor, but I sensed no aggression coming from him. Reza however did take a very visible and vocal sniff of me while hugging me.

“Come, let’s go inside” Luca invited.

“Breakfast? Coffee? NuBlood?” Luca offered.

“Coffee would be fine” Reza answered with a warm smile.

We all made our way to the kitchen, while Luca engaged Reza in some idle chat about the weather.

Seconds later with coffee in Reza’s hand, Luca then asked the burning question. “What brings you here Councilor?”

“Ahhh...shall we take this to the garden? I’ve always found your garden more beautiful and soothing than Robin’s, it also doesn’t hurt that the air here, smells so much better” Reza replied as he held his gaze upon me a second or two longer than necessary.

The four of us made it to the beautifully manicured garden, we made it through the stone pathway in between hedges when Reza spoke again. “So...Luca how long have you known?”

“What are you talking about, Councilor?”

“Let’s not kid ourselves, you know what I mean” Reza replied to Luca with a warm voice yet serious face.

“A few days” Luca replied poker face.

“Ah I see” Reza then took a sip of his coffee and then set his gaze upon Victor. “And you?”

“Since Thanksgiving” Victor replied, he was doing his best to remain calm.

“Hmm...okay” Reza then set his attention to me “and you my boy...how old are you really?”

“Uhm...I’m 18 sir”

“Hmm...no sirs, and really now?18? Hmm... Okay, I believe you, but you seem to not look like one of your kind don’t you?” Reza smiled back at us.

“It’s complicated” I answered.

“Oh, I bet it is, two hundred years of nothing, not a single trace of any single elf, and I bump into someone on Christmas Day, fate certainly has its own way of humoring us” Reza chuckled.

“Chris...you remind me of someone... “

“Huh?”

“You look just like him, it was hmm... i was still a Governor then during his coronation in 1644, handsome young chap, quite dashing actually, too bad he’s straight” Reza laughed lightly again.

“Uhm...who are you referring to, if I might ask Councilor?” Victor asked.

“King ZoHal, of course, I was one of the few vampires in attendance during his coronation when his father abdicated the throne in his favor” then Reza stared at me again, looking at me from head to toe. “Spitting image, if you ask me” Reza smiled.

Reza then explained himself to Luca “that’s what drew me into him last night, at first it was his scent, and then when I saw him, it was as if I was transported back to the first time I saw the Elven King”

Reza then looked at me again “Good try scanning me by the way, too bad you got distracted by that broken glass”

“So where does this lead us?” Luca asked his fellow Councilor.

“I want Chris to give me audience with the Elven King, assuming ZoHal is still king that is”

“Why?” I asked.

“There are dark times ahead young one, I assume you were the one that slayed the Anami?”

“Uhm...yes”

“How’d you know?” Luca asked.

“I have eyes and ears everywhere Luca, Chris somehow went unnoticed, but an Anami, especially a transformed one, that’s something we can’t let slip, such a disappointment that we were fooled for so long by Gustav”

“He had us all fooled” Luca added.

“That he did”

“Reza, I swear, I was somehow going to warn the High Council about the Anami sighting” Luca added.

“I believe you, but I guess you had to find a way of hiding Chris’ identity and the circumstance of which you came across the information before you brought the information to our attention, am I right Luca?”

“Correct”

“Fair enough, I’ve always seen and understood you as a family man, Luca, but to be frank, I’m disappointed you did not see it fit to approach me, you know you could’ve trusted me” Reza answered. “Has there ever been a time I’ve let you down Luca?”

“No...Councilor”

Reza then asked me again “so... can you set me with an audience with the Elven King? The return of the Anami is no small thing, I reckon the elves are just as confused over this as well”

“Uhm... I can make arrangements”

I shyly answered.

“Really now? That is Brilliant!” Reza beamed then he turned to Victor “I assume the Werewolf Councilor is aware of the gravity of the situation as well?”

“Yes...we were both there during the fight”

“That I know, but it must be made clear to the Crescent Council, or at least to Councilor August Smith that this is no small matter, the werewolves are generally younger than us, and most likely are less inclined to take this matter seriously”

“We’ve already discussed it” Luca chimed in.

“Good. This makes it easier, We’re all too young to remember the times of the Demon race, they were before even me, but I do remember the stories passed down to me by my sire about them, we can never be too cautious” Reza remarked.

“Of course Councilor” Victor answered.

“Can me and Chris have a moment?” Reza asked.

Luca, Victor, and I exchanged looks. And Reza just patiently waited for our decision.

Luca stepped back first, and then Victor hugged me before walking off with Luca. They both did not re-enter the mansion but were now at least 30 feet away from us.

“I’m sorry for not being straightforward with you last night, Chris” Reza said to me as he beckoned for me to walk with him.

“Hmm...when we got home and I spoke to them about you, I’d be lying if I said we did not get nervous about it”

“Hahaha! I’ve been told I have that effect on people” Reza bellowed.

“You’re a special elf aren’t you!?”

“What do you mean?”

“You say you’re 18... you look like you’re 18, you act like you’re 18, but...to put it bluntly, no 18 year old elf can ever put down an Anami alone”

“It’s complicated”

“Anything simple can be made into something complicated, Chris, it’s a matter of perspective” Reza paused and played with some leaves on the hedges around us until he spoke again. “So... how is it you’re confident that you can arrange a meeting with the Elven King with me?”

“Uhm...” I fidgeted a bit. “Uh...uhm” *sigh* “he’s my grandfather” I said in a voice that was just louder than a whisper.

Reza had this look of both surprise, confusion, and happiness rolled into one. But being the old vampire that he is, those expressions were more subtle. “I see... that explains the resemblance”

We walked a bit farther, and Reza and I enjoyed the garden in silence.

“And where are the Elves now? We’ve spent immeasurable amount of manpower and resources looking for your kind, you all just disappeared, just like that”

“The elves have their own...uhm...place now”

Reza gave me a quizzical look “Ah...I assume there’s more to this?”

“You’ll see it for yourself if the King agrees with the audience”

“Fair enough” Reza paused “so...you grew up in America?”

“Yes...”

“Not with the elves?”

“No...with my father, he’s human”

“Half-elf?”

“Yes”

“I see, you’re right, it is complicated” Reza smiled back at me as we walked back to the wary vampires waiting for us. If he was surprised by my revelation, he surely did not let it show, he remained calm and collected throughout our exchange.

“Thank you Chris” Reza said to me as he brought me in for a hug.

He then nodded towards Luca and Victor and added in more serious tone “Councilor...Governor, we have some other matters to discuss”

And after a nod from Luca and a kiss on the cheek from Victor, I was left alone with my thoughts in the garden.

Thanks @Etotsira for helping out.
Copyright © 2019 gabz2000; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 32
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..