Jump to content
    gabz2000
  • Author
  • 2,961 Words
  • 4,613 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Into the fields of Summer - 75. Aftermath 3

Victor’s POV

It’s only been an hour since Chris went off to visit his grandfather and I’ve already started to miss him.

I went to August’s large kitchen to prepare for myself some sort of midnight snack. Walking through the corridors and down the stairs, I passed by several vampire and werewolf agents that greeted me with a nod.

Entering the kitchen, I make my way to the refrigerator to get some juice.

I settled for some freshly squeezed orange juice that Arthur prepared not more than a few hours ago. I set my half full glass on the kitchen table when someone’s voice took me out of my reverie.

“I never thought the day would come that I’d see you like this, hearing the rumors is one thing but seeing it for myself is another” said a smiling Kazu, who was just a few feet behind me, there was a glint of appreciation and happiness in his expression.

“What are you talking about?” I ask.

“You had this far away look on yourself just a few moments ago, thinking about Chris?”

“Yeah” I sighed.

“Is he asleep in your room?” Kazu asked.

“Uh...” I paused. Shit. “Ah...yeah”

I replied.

“I can’t read minds like you Governor...but I’m a member of Stratos, I can sense you’re lying” Kazu gave me a teasing smile. “No matter...I won’t push, not yet anyway” he said.

“So what brings you here?” I asked.

“Can’t I be thirsty like you?” He retorted.

“Fair enough” I replied. I filled for Kazu a glass of orange juice and gave it to him.

“Thank you” he replied. Then he took a moment to drink and then continued. “To be frank, you’re not quite as intimidating as people say you are.” He snickered as he moved his head sideways in disbelief.

“And what do people say about me?” I curiously asked.

“You already know your reputation, you could be sitting in the High Council with your sire if you wished” Kazu remarked.

“I don’t think that’s the case” I replied, though humbly flattered by Kazu’s remarks.

“Whatever you say...” he replied as he took another sip of his drink. “That lover of yours though, we have more questions than answers coming from him, that’s something that the High Council will know about soon enough, if not from us, then from someone else”

I sighed, rubbed my head and said “he’s special”

“That much is evident”

“Whatever creature Gustav turned into, he seemed to have been no match for Chris, I doubt I nor you could have taken that beast down alone”

I had to laugh a bit. “Of course, Chris is special, even if you and Pavlos worked together, I doubt you’d match Chris, that much I’m sure about”

Kazu gave me this look, as if I didn’t do my research on them.

“Come on, Kazu, Stratos is well hidden and your missions extremely confidential and buried by the High Council, but it’s not only my reputation that’s out there for people to talk about, of course you both weren’t named, but an Asian and Greek Stratos duo is the pair that brought down the illegal blood trade run by several vampire syndicates in North Africa a few decades ago and you both brought down the 350 year old leader of the Nile Triad” he snickered.

“I can’t comment on that” Kazu averted his gaze.

“Which makes me curious though, why would the finest pair of Stratos agents be sent to nowhere, Virginia by the High Council” I remarked.

“We’re just following orders” Kazu snorted.

“So, can you help us keep this on the down low for now?” I asked.

“You’re a good guy, Governor, that much I can tell; Pavlos and I will hold off the High Council as long as possible, we can buy you time, but that’s the best we can do for now.” Kazu smiled.

“I appreciate it” I nodded to Kazu.

“Sandwich?” I ask.

“Yes, please” he replied as I pulled out a loaf of bread to slice and prepare a ham and cheese sandwich for the both of us.

“Can’t believe I’m having the Governor of District 4 make me a sandwich” Kazu remarked in amusement.

“One thing here, Kazu, is that we treat each other like family, and as long as you’re under my roof or August’s roof, for that matter, we treat you as such, one thing August and I share apart from other stuff, is a lack of appreciation for any sort of caste system, so...don’t fret. Mayo?” I asked as I reached for a bottle of mayonnaise.

Kazu and I spent almost 20 minutes chatting around the kitchen table. I got to know the agent a bit more and him more about me as well. After that he excused himself and thanked me for the sandwich.

After getting back to my room, I placed a video call to my sire.

“Victor!” Said a beaming vampire on the screen of my phone.

“I hope I’m not calling too early”

I said to my sire.

“It’s 4am here in London, Victor, of course it’s early...but you know me too well and you already know I eat breakfast at 3am” my sire snickered.

“That is correct” I smiled back.

“Congratulations, news of Agatha Thorne’s defeat has already made waves in the community” My sire gave me an approving smile.

“Well...” I muttered.

“What is it? I sense there’s more to this than what we’ve heard so far?” My sire asked.

“We’re still going through with the gathering in London, right?” I asked.

“Yes...of course, though I’d understand if you and you progeny can’t make it...given how things are” Luca replied with hint of sadness.

“No...no...we’ll make arrangements, this is something we wouldn’t miss, and with Agatha gone, and with the extra security we’ve hired...we think it’d take a long time before the Blood Army could recover”

“Well...that’s good to hear” my sire beamed back. “So...back to the incident”

“Ah...always the straight shooter”

I remarked.

“I can play coy Victor, but I sense this is urgent, breakfast calls with you are rarely about us catching up” my sire smugly replied.

“That is right” I laughed.

“Well...what is it?”

“Well...I can...or we can explain the entirety of the situation when we get there...I can share with you my memories of what happened, but...by any chance...do you know anything about winged reptilian creatures?”

My sire gave me a surprised and confused look. “What are you talking about? Like dragons?”

“Ahh...wait...I sketched it earlier” I then reached for a paper sketch of the beast that Gustav turned into and I showed it to my sire.

Luca’s eyes went from discerning to surprise in a fraction of a second. “Don’t tell me you’ve seen one” he said with a certain edge in his voice.

“This thing look familiar?”

“They’re before our time, Victor, those for the lack of a better term are pets of the demon race...”

“Demon race?” My throat went dry and I bet my face went pale for a bit.

“I haven’t seen one of those, but those creatures are the stuff of nightmares for us...a scratch alone can”

“Can what?!” I cut him off...thinking of Chris’ injury.

“Can kill...it’s fatal...”

“Fuuuck”

“What’s the matter Victor? You didn’t see one and get injured did you?” Luca looked closer into the camera as if it would help him get a clearer answer from me.

“Not me...” I muttered. I was worried for Chris.

“Who then?”

“Chris” I sighed in worry, tears welling in my eyes.

“Where is he? The ones that can treat him are long gone from this world, I’m afraid”

“What do you mean, sire?”

“Only the Elves knew how to treat such wounds” he explained, and with that I breathed a sigh of relief, I was still worried but I hoped Chris’ grandfather or any other elf for that matter had been made aware of his injury.

“Okay...thank you, sire, I’ll see you soon”

“Wait...wait...how about Chris?! This is highly unusual Victor...the Anami are supposed to be extinct together with the Demons” He exclaimed.

“It’s a long story...but don’t worry. You’ll meet Chris soon enough, please look into these creatures further.” I smiled. “Take care, sire.”

“You as well, my child, but I do have questions”

“Of course you do, and we’ll answer them the best we can” I replied.

After our call, I answered some emails and made arrangements for increasing security all over the district. Vampire business interest in District 4 seemed to be performing as well, revenues of Vampire Government controlled companies in the district are on track to exceed targets. An interim report for projected tax remittances to the Vampire Government puts my district in the the Top 5 remitting districts for the ninth consecutive year now. Sigh.

A portfolio report regarding my own personal business interests look good as well, I have to give Henry a bonus for that, I thought.

However despite the rosy financial position of my district, my mind can’t help but still be worried about Chris. I can only hope that at this point the elves gave him the attention he needs for his wound.

—-

Chris’ POV

After spending a few more hours in the med bay and getting scanned once more by Sarad, I was given the all clear.

“You recover fast” Sarad commented.

“Isn’t this normal?” I asked back.

Which only earned me a hearty laugh from the Master Healer.

“Our books tell us, you’re supposed to be recovering for a month!” He said in disbelief.

“Really?”

“Yes...you’re indeed full of surprises, young prince.” He said as he handed me a white robe with gold trimmings for me to wear as I got off the bed.

Etalos was just a few feet away, looking more than happy to assist me in any matter.

“Where’s Patri?” I asked Etalos as we walked through the corridors.

“I’m not sure...but he did tell me to not leave your side”

“Is this okay?” I asked him.

“What do you mean?”

“Uhm...I’m not taking time away from your other tasks?” I curiously asked.

“Oh dear Elven Tree...no”

I gave him a funny look. “Elven Tree?” I asked.

“Oh...hehe, it’s just something us young Elves say nowadays”

“Ah...I see” I laughed.

“The King has already appointed me your assistant, if you wish to have me replaced...then I can make arrangements” Etalos said, looking down at the floor.

I lifted his chin up to meet my gaze, and with a smile. “No...you’re perfect” I said which earned me an appreciative and beaming smile from the beautiful elf.

“So...assistant huh?” I asked.

“Yes”

“Do my uncles have those as well?” I asked.

“Of course, all members of the royal family do”

“Ah...I see, what can I ask you to do for me then?” I teased.

Etalos blushed and with a slightly lower voice. “Anything”

“Anything?” I said in a teasing manner.

“Yes...anything”

I squeezed Etalos left shoulder then and gave his butt a playful smack. “I’ll keep that in mind then” for the rest of our walk, Etalos was blushing. Damn he is so cute!

“Are my uncles around? Matra?” I asked Etalos.

“Prince Rehanmir is with the King, Queen Kalsa I believe is down in the southern provinces for a meeting with several local leaders, however Prince Selvenus is in his private office” He answered.

“Lead the way then” I said.

After a few more minutes of walking through corridors I haven’t gotten to be familiar with, I found myself in front of a large double mahogany door, with golden door knobs and carvings on the door of images of flowers and trees. I was about to knock when Etalos told me to just put my hand on the glass panel near the door, if it went green it meant the Prince was available, me putting my hand on the panel would also tell him who was on the other side.

The panel went green and within seconds the door shot open and my uncle gave me a tight hug. “It’s so good to see you again nephew!” He said.

“You just saw me a few hours ago, uncle”

“And you were apparently sick then” he teased.

Etalos left us both and I entered my uncle’s office. It was modern inside, he had a large monitor on the side of his table. And in front of his wooden desk were two chairs. There were also several shelves of books and scrolls. The walls also had small frames of cubist paintings of some sort. The overall color motif inside was white, brown, and gray.

“Nice office” I remarked. “Quite snazzy” I teased.

“Snazzy huh?” He smiled back. “Come...come...sit” he said as we made our way to a corner of his office where there was a small couch for us both.

“So...Patri?” I asked.

“Oh...he and Rehanmir are in a meeting with several security officers... an audit of energy readings across the realm showed a large spike of energy in some field somewhere in the Southern province”

“Ah...I see...“ I replied. Then I remembered “This wouldn’t have been a few days ago right?”

My uncle gave me a funny look then it hit him. “That was your doing?” He laughed a bit.

“Sorry...I was bit in a panic...I had a Kumhakta in my sleep” I laughed back.

Hearing that I had a Kumhakta earned me a more serious look from my uncle. He squeezed my right hand and said. “You’re still having those?” He said worried.

“Well...that was just one time”

“Chris...Elves just don’t have Kumhaktas again and again, please keep your energy levels in check, You losing control would be something the likes of we haven’t seen in our lifetimes, please take care of yourself”

“Of course, uncle”

Then after that, my uncle pulled out his phone, called Uncle Rehanmir and said “no need to investigate that older brother...it seems our nephew just had to release some energy there” there was a muffled reply I couldn’t hear then uncle Selvenus said “yes...yes...I know, yes... I’ve already told him” then uncle put down his phone and asked. “Joining us for dinner?”

“Uhm...yeah, sure!” I smiled back.

My uncle then went closer to me, and ask. “I know Sarad gave you the all clear, but if you feel off, please let us know... immediately” he said, his eyes almost pleading that I take this seriously.

“Of course, uncle” I said then I gave him a hug, my, he did smell very nice, a mix of vanilla and lavender, I wonder if I smell like him as well.

Dinner was ready in less than an hour, and uncle and I made our way to one of the many dining rooms in the residential palace. Both me and uncle stood beside each other while there was another set of cutleries and plates prepared in front of the seat of uncle Selvenus and another at the head of the table, which I assumed to be Patri’s.

A few minutes later, Patri and Uncle Rehanmir arrived. Patri was the first to hug me and say “good to see you’re better” then my uncle followed suit, and aside from a hug he gave me a kiss on the cheek as well.

As we all sat and started to eat the feast in front of us. My uncle asked me. “So that surge was yours?”

“I believe so, this happened a few days ago right?” I asked.

“Yes...yes...but just to confirm, can you send me a memory of that event, like, something that would describe or show the place so I can cross check” My uncle asked.

“Sure thing” and just like that I passed to him images of the area where I released my energy.

“Hmm...looks about right, good place, uninhabited, and far from any villages or town” he observed.

“I just thought of an empty field, I was out of sorts in my head, honestly, I’m just happy I got to the realm” I laughed a bit.

Then just like Uncle Selvenus, my other uncle and Patri spent the next few minutes telling me to be more aware of my energy levels, especially before sleeping.

I reassured them that I’d taken measures for such instances already.

After dinner, I said my goodbyes to Patri and my uncles, and I then willed myself back to August’s compound.

The sun was just rising, and my boyfriend was sitting on the bed with his laptop on his lap. He immediately felt my presence and looked toward my direction, and with his vampire speed he was almost immediately hugging me.

With worry and relief in his voice, he said “I’m glad you’re alright”

He pulled back, and looked longingly into my eyes, his eyes were glistening as if he was about to cry. “I talked to Luca, he said those creatures were fatal, even a scratch...could...” he couldn’t finish his sentence and ended up sniffling on the crook of my neck.

“Yeah, I know. Good thing I was with Patri when things went to hell” I remarked.

“What happened?” He asked as he pulled back and wiped the tears off his face.

“I had some sort of toxic shock, was even put in the palace’s medical bay for a few hours” I explained.

“I should have been there” he answered.

“Don’t worry, everything is fine” I smiled, and then brought my face closer to his and we shared a passionate kiss together.

Thanks @Etotsira for helping out again.
I’ll be taking a short break after this chapter 😉
Copyright © 2019 gabz2000; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 31
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..