Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 645 Words
  • 1,983 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 10. Chapter 10

It didn’t take as long to find a problem. There was one day in the week when Stephen and I had late classes. Albert, to the rescue, agreed that if Randy came to Mrs. Kenner’s on the day, we couldn’t meet with Randy, he would tutor Randy.

Stephen kept saying Randy is an intelligent kid, and he would bring home a report card with nothing less than a B average. We made a bet. The loser would have to cook breakfast for a week. The six-week marking period was coming up. Stephen had a side bet going with Randy. If Randy’s report card had no C’s and all A’s and B’s, he would buy him a pizza. He could select the size and the toppings. I saw the smile on Randy’s face, and I knew Stephen would lose. I think Stephen knew that as well.

Sure enough, Randy’s six-week report card wasn’t all A’s and B’s. It was all A’s. A perfect report card. I didn’t know who was prouder, Randy or Stephen. Walking to Geno’s Italian Pizza parlor, they were strutting. Reminded me of a rooster in a chicken yard.

Looking over the menu, Randy picked out a large pizza with everything on it. I laughed when the waitress looked at him when he ordered. She was about to leave when I told her I would like the spaghetti Bolognese with a side salad. Stephen ordered the same. The look on the waitress’s face made us laugh.

While we waited, Stephen and Randy talked about school, I listened.

The waitress brought our food. I asked for a doggie bag, that plate of spaghetti Bolognese would feed three. “Stephen, do you think Randy’s mother would like to have spaghetti for dinner tonight?”

Stephen didn’t answer. Randy did. “Yes, she likes spaghetti.”

“Okay, we can drop my doggie bag at your house for your mom.”

There was some of Randy’s pizza and my spaghetti left at Randy’s apartment that evening.

Randy continued to do well in school. By the end of our semester, he was caught up to his age equivalence and perhaps slightly ahead. He had three tutors to help him over the rough times. His mother was doing well and assumed the role of Randy’s mother. He didn’t need Stephen, Albert, and me as much. The standing offer by Stephen concerning grades continued, and we ate a lot of pizza.

Stephen went to work the summer for his grandfather, and I went home except for weekends when I returned to my apartment. I stayed from my arrival on Friday, returning to my home on Monday. Randy helped to do the lawn work and wash the windows. I paid him 10 dollars for helping. It was more than kids general got, but I knew he would spend some of the money on his mother. Stephen had arranged for our local grocer to give Randy and his mother credit. I’d pay the bill weekly, notifying Stephen. He would send me a check covering his half.

As the summer break ended, Stephen returned, and life resumed with him occupying the apartment across from mine. We continued running in the morning, only now we had a tag-a-long, Randy. I think he looked upon us as big brothers, which suited us very well, Stephen was an only child, and I had no brothers. Randy filled those vacancies.

This was our final year before we started working toward our Master’s degrees. Randy started eighth grade. We were ready to tutor him, if necessary. As it turned out, our tutoring sessions became catching up sessions. Randy would tell us about his day. His mother was making progress, and she provided the coffee and snacks. While in their apartment, we would surreptitiously check out the apartment and Randy’s mother. We wanted to be sure she was still making progress.

Short chapter
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 21
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It is so wonderful to see everyone pulling together for Randy and his mother.  It is always nice when a plan comes together for everyone. 

I hopw Tim and Stephen stay there if they can to continue their college degrees.  I am sure Randy would be thirlled to have two big brothers around. 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
22 hours ago, chris191070 said:

It's great to see Randy caught up in school and his Mother getting better. Things are going well for everyone at the moment.

Yes and I think everything will be better for Randy's mother.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Glad to see Randy's straight A's report card, thanks to Stephen and Timothy's tutoring. But also their being Big Brothers supporting him.🫂

A child in 7th grade shouldn't have the weight of the world as it were on their shoulders. 😟  Randy and his mother are getting the help they so desperately need, and hopefully she continues to do well. 

With Stephen and Timothy entering their final year, hopefully they'll stay in town, both for themselves and Randy. 🙏

:thankyou:

We shall see what is in store for Stephen and Tim. Randy will do well

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 5
Link to comment
20 hours ago, mikedup said:

Everything seems to be getting better , time certainly fly's when you are very busy, progress on all fronts

I think that everything is going well

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Kev said:

Loving Randy, I used to tutor one of my sons friends in Math, only thing there was he was absolutely no good at it at all!!! I often wondered it if was me until they paid for a tutor to help him and he still failed all of his tests. Randy seems a good kid and deserves things to work out for him. Still loving the guys.

Some people just aren't wired for math.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, drsawzall said:

It is nice to see the boy's efforts are paying off, Mom's return to good health and Randy gets to be a kid again!!

Tim and Steve are angels!!

Some times a caring attitude is the best medicine

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, bottomguy said:

It is so wonderful to see everyone pulling together for Randy and his mother.  It is always nice when a plan comes together for everyone. 

I hopw Tim and Stephen stay there if they can to continue their college degrees.  I am sure Randy would be thirlled to have two big brothers around. 

 

Stephen and Tim will always be a part of Randy's life. But Randy will be entering high school and he will have friends.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..