Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 952 Words
  • 1,475 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 108. Chapter 108

We talked to the minister of the church where we had Eva Marie baptized, and he suggested the Sunday before Thanksgiving, which was OK with us.

I told Randy and Ann Marie the dates of the baptism.

Tom wrote and told us Randy struts around like the Cock of the hen pen.

Ann Marie was smiling. Alex said she would like to have a child but felt too old. I told him he should know better, women in the ’40s can still have children, and there is always adoption. “Alex, maybe you need to rethink about her being a mother. Watch her when she is here with our children. You can see the love in her eyes.” I thought, Donnie, I need a push here.

Friday, before Thanksgiving, our house became bedlam. Randy arrived and claimed the cot in the baby’s room. Mom and Dad arrived and would be staying the week. Stephen’s mom and dad came for the day with Gramps. Since they lived closer, they would spend the day and go home at night. Gramps said he should have added a few more bedrooms to the house. I think he was kidding, I hope.

Saturday night, John and Eva showed up with Eva Marie. Now Stephen had a problem. He had two young ladies to entertain. The smile on his face told me we would have more children in the future. Two wasn’t enough for Stephen. John and Eva stayed with Alex and Ann Marie. The spare bedroom in their condo came in handy. I made a mental note to review the drawings of the condo building.

Sunday, we looked like a parade as we entered the church. We took up two pews, and I think there were only two empty pews in the back of the church for the first time. When it was time to baptize the children, Randy and Ann Marie went to the font with Stephen and I following. As the minister performed the rite, I looked at the cross above the Altar, and there was Donnie with the children’s mother. Looking into the eyes of their mother, I swear I saw a teardrop fall on the Altar. I looked at Donnie, and there was that smile again, then they were gone.

Stephen’s dad had arranged lunch at one of the restaurants that rented the building from him. We had to take pictures, and I told Randy I wanted one with the babies on Stephen’s lap and one with Elizabeth and Ann Marie's on his lap. I would have them blown up and framed. Stephen said he wanted one with the babies on my lap. By the end of the meal, we had gone through two rolls of film. Everyone had their pictures taken holding the children, including Ann Marie.

I took the film and said I would see that they were developed. If anyone wants a larger copy, I’ll get them enlarged for them. I knew there were a few I wanted enlarged and framed.

Dinner that evening was held at Stephen’s parents’ home. There were four chefs in the kitchen. Stephen’s mother directed three of them. Eva was helping me with the children when Randy wasn’t trying to get them to laugh.

Stephen came into the conservatory, “I thought you were helping in the kitchen?”

“I was until they told me to get out.” I wasn’t sure about that, particularly when he went and picked up Eva Marie.

Dinner was excellent. There was no question that Stephen’s mother was an excellent chef. I saw my dad asking that the platter with the meat be passed again, and Mom’s eyebrow was raised when he said that. I’d bet Mom will try and make the same roast for him when they get home.

Monday, we resumed our schedule. Gramps closed the plant on Wednesday, so we had four days off before returning to work. John and Eva left on Wednesday. They had promised to have Thanksgiving at John’s parents.

Wednesday evening, the aromas from Mom and Aunt Clara’s baking seemed to permeate the entire house. I could tell appetites were building. Thursday morning, Stephen’s mom and dad arrived, followed by Ann Marie and Alex. Mom had made some breakfast rolls, and we were told to take our coffee and rolls to the basement. All of the men were in the basement watching the game on TV except a very little girl who was in the arms of Randy. Stephen just smiled, but I knew he would have liked to be the one holding Elizabeth.

Donnie was in his bassinet sleeping. When I checked on him, he had what could be a smile on his face. ‘Donnie, behave, he’s too young for you to tell him about the tricks you use to pull on me.’

Aunt Clara came down with bottles for the babies. Stephen went to get Elizabeth, but Randy had the bottle and was feeding her. I picked up Donnie and handed him to Stephen along with the bottle, and I got a kiss for that.

We were called to dinner at 1:30. Beside the dining room table, we needed the buffet to hold all the dishes and desserts. Gramps offered the blessing, and I noticed he included the children as well as Eva Marie, and I thought that was nice.

I couldn’t believe we finished eating at 3:30, a 2 hour Thanksgiving dinner. There was enough food left over to have lunch and dinner for the next two days. Looking at Stephen, I smiled. He was holding both of our babies, one on each leg, with his arm around them. Looking into that face, I knew I was a very lucky man.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 33
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I get the feeling the family is going to expand!!!

Friday, before Thanksgiving, our house became bedlam. Randy arrived and claimed the cot in the baby’s room. Mom and Dad arrived and would be staying the week. Stephen’s mom and dad came for the day with Gramps. Since they lived closer, they would spend the day and go home at night. Gramps said he should have added a few more bedrooms to the house. I think he was kidding, I hope

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Christopher said:

This was another one of those chapters where I'm STARVING after reading it !! 😂

You need to read this story after dinner. 😀

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
22 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Great to see the families getting on so well together.

With Ann Marie's recovery the family has grown closer. Tim is glad he has buried Bruce etc. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
22 hours ago, weinerdog said:

The way @CLJobewrites about food he can definitely make you hungry.

That was a real nice touch having Donnie and the babies Mother I watching  the baptism

AM having her own child might be the perfect thing to keep her centered and grounded

I am an amateur cook, not good enough to be a chef. I think you are right about Ann Marie

  • Like 5
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

That is what I call a "feel good" chapter. You have a warm, happy feeling after reading it.  Thanks.

I am glad that I have touched you with my writing. Your Welcome

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I think that I would be Stephen... drowning in kids and loving every minute of it... Life seems good, you just know that it won't last for long... Tim needs a new adventure, well that or another kid.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..