Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 726 Words
  • 2,402 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 92. Chapter 92

I read what he had written. It essentially was a recap of the lawsuit and the DA’s indictment. He summarized his move to California and then Canada and his attempt to flee to England. What he wrote was true, but I thought he didn’t need to rehash Bruce’s history.
“Rich, what good will this do? It’ll stir up the people again. They will be arguing, fighting, and who knows what.”

“A lot of people have been directly or indirectly hurt by this guy. They need some closure.”

“I agree, but isn’t there a way to do it without opening wounds that have healed?”

“I need to think about that.”

“Think about it tonight. If you want to talk more about it in the morning, we’ll be here.”

For the rest of the evening, we caught up on what was happening back home.

That night lying in bed, “What is Rich going to do?”

“I don’t know. I gave him my thoughts and told him to think about it tonight. We will talk about it in the morning.”

I found it difficult to fall asleep, I disapproved of what Bruce did, now he doesn’t have the chance to confess his wrongs. That would have been the healing the town needed as well. If Bruce had said what he did was wrong and he had hurt many people, and for that he is sorry, the town would have been on the road to healing.

I drifted off to sleep. “Tim, tell Rich what you think. Help him write his column.” I woke up.

“Tim, what’s the matter? Why aren’t you sleeping?”

“I’m thinking about Rich’s article. Donnie came, and I’m afraid Bruce will still start problems for the town if Rich publishes his draft that he showed me last night.”

“Go to sleep. Let Donnie handle Rich. I’m sure Rich’s column will be more in line with your thoughts.”

With Stephen’s words in my head, I fell asleep.

Morning came, I lost my seat at breakfast. Stephen started the eggs, and I started the coffee, Rich started the toast. Over breakfast, “Rich, have you given any more thought to your article?”

“Yes, I thought about what you said last night, and I made some changes. I’ll finish it this morning, and I’ll let you read it before I send it to the paper.”

“We have to go to work, let’s meet for lunch. We’ll pick you up at noon.”

“Okay, but leave a pot of coffee.”

At noon we picked up Rich. Driving to the diner, Rich handed me what he had written. I began to read it.

“This reporter had the privilege of interviewing Dr. Bruce Stevens in his detention cell while he waited for a new passport from the American Consulate’s office in Vancouver. Dr. Stevens expressed his need for forgiveness for all of the hurt he has caused. He asked that those people who were victimized by his greed and his wanton disregard for their feelings would forgive him. While I was watching, Dr. Stevens committed suicide. His last words were, ‘I am so sorry, and I can’t live with knowing the hurt I have caused. I’m not going to put those people through a review of their hurt that a trial would cause. This way, they can forget, and I pray that somehow, someday, they will forgive me.’ Saying those words, he died.”

“What do you think?”

“I like this better than the first one you showed me.”

Lunch was excellent. We chatted about Stephen and my work. He told us about his life, and he was engaged to be married. He showed us a photo of his fiancee. She was a nice-looking woman who, I’m sure, will complement Rich’s personality.

After lunch, he asked if we would drive him to the airport. Stephen said he would take him so I could get back to work. I had a supplier’s contract to finish reviewing and editing some of the clauses.

Walking home, “What did you think of his article?”

“I thought he did a good job. I hope that people don’t realize that any apology was written by Rich. Knowing who he was, it would be correct to say the wicked witch is dead.”

“You and I know that, but I think Rich gave those that he had hurt some relief.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 18
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting article about Bruce, I think that the town needs a bit of a white lie to help them heal and to look to the future, let's hope that the article goes a long way to heal , now onwards with their lives so when is Tim and Stephen getting their dose of their own children

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 2/2/2022 at 12:48 PM, weinerdog said:

I guess the article being written that way is better than the original draft but the best way would have been for Bruce to say that in court in his allocution.

The town will never fully heal.Do you think along with all the women that Don was Bruce only same sex victim probably not.There are some damaged people because of Bruce and I hope one didn't go on to do the same kind of offenses Bruce did.

It will take a very long time for the town to heal. There are still two camps. I'm sure there were others but I think Tom was the only male victim. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..