Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,165 Words
  • 2,501 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 36. Chapter 36

Between working on the case for Gramps and developing my strategy for Mr. Morris, I was kept quite busy.

In the evening, with Stephen’s help, I created a graph showing the steps taken by Mr. Morris once I had informed him of the legality of the prenup.

I had a copy of a letter he sent to the eldest son of Mr. Struthers indicating that he was now in the procession of a document that would prove the prenup was illegal. The copy of the letter and the further correspondence between Mr. Morris and the heirs I obtained through a subpoena issued at my request by the municipal court judge.

I also had copies of newspapers showing items being put on the market by Mr. Struthers's son dated after speaking to Mr. Morris concerning the illegality of the prenup.

I made copies of everything, one for Mr. Morris and one for the trial, which I will be using during my examination of Messrs. Morris and Struthers.

I reviewed everything I had. I knew I was on solid ground, and I didn’t want my overconfidence to be a mistake. With Stephen’s help, I had a copy of Ann Marie’s bank accounts and her husband’s bank accounts before he died. He had two accounts, a joint account, and a personal account.

Ann Marie’s account showed the deposit of 10,000 dollars. I also saw her withdrawals. Mr. Struthers’s account showed one withdrawal in his personal account for 10,000. Both of his other accounts were closed the day after I met with Mr. Morris. I couldn’t find the money in any of the heirs’ accounts. Then I heard a whisper, ‘off shore.’ I looked around, and I was alone.

I know I’m not crazy. “Who is there?” I looked around, “Stephen, are you home?” No answer.

“Tim, where are you?”

“Upstairs, in my study.”

It didn’t take long for Stephen to enter my study. I heard him running up the stairs.

“How is it going?”

“Stephen, how long have you been home?”

“I just got here. Why?”

“I heard someone whisper to me.”

“Take a break. Come and have a cup of coffee with me.”

Having a cup of coffee with Stephen was therapeutic for me. I would sit on his lap as we drank our coffee. Stephen is a few inches over 6 feet, while I am 5 feet 7. That puts my head on his chest. For me a very comfortable seat. “I think we will name our second child John.” Stephen laughed.

 

(The meeting)

“Tim, do you have everything for the meeting”

“Yes, are you sure you will hear everything?”

“We have time to test the system. I’ll be sitting at the receptionist’s desk with the recorder. Say something, and we can do a system check.”

Stephen left the office, “Jane, please bring me a cup of coffee.”

The door opened, and a young lady entered with a cup of coffee, followed by Stephen.

 

Mr. Morris arrived at 1 pm. He had an assistant with him. I had expected that. I didn’t feel threatened. In fact, Mr. Morris might discover that was a mistake on his part if we go to court.

He introduced the young man as an intern working in his law firm. I didn’t believe him. I suspected he was a co-worker brought for support and someone to help him if we go to trial.

“Gentlemen, may I get you something to drink, coffee, soda, water?”

“No, thank you, Mr. Walkins. I hope this meeting won’t take long. We have a 4 o’clock flight back home.

“Mr. Morris, it has been several weeks since we had a discussion in your office concerning the pre-nuptial between Mr. and Mrs. Struthers. Mrs. Struthers has not been notified that the prenup she signed was not valid. I would like to know why?”

“Are you representing Mrs. Struthers?”

“Yes, and for the record, what is your name?”

“My name is David James, and I work in the same law firm as Mr. Morris.”

“I needed to confirm the dates of the prenup and wedding.”

“Mr. Morris, that isn’t true. You needed to stall notifying the interested parties so that the heirs of the Struthers estate could take action to prevent Mrs. Struthers from getting her share off her husband’s estate.”

“That isn’t true.”

“You notified the heirs two days after our meeting. I have a copy of the letters you sent.” I showed him the copy. Mr. James looked at the letters. He looked at Mr. Morris, and I knew he was unaware of the correspondence by the look.

“The heirs needed to know there would be a challenge to the estate.”

“Yes, but you could have sent a letter to Mrs. Struthers as well, and you didn’t.”

“I didn’t think there would be a hurry. She had 10,000 dollars. That should have lasted for a few months.”

“Let’s examine what the heirs have done once they received your letter.”

I gave them a copy of the ‘for sale’ column from a newspaper. I had highlighted the items. I gave them a copy from a real estate company that had listed Mr. Struthers's lodge. “These documents are the bank accounts of Mrs. Struthers and Mr. Struthers. Note the 10,000 deposit in Mrs. Struthers’s account and the debit in Mr. Struthers’s joint account. This third page is Mr. Struthers’s personal account. Notice that one week after my visit, all of the accounts in the name of Mr. Struthers have been closed. The money is either in a safe box located in the home of one of the heirs or an offshore account.”

I watched the reaction. “Mr. Walkins, I’m not responsible for what the heir did.”

I noticed Mr. James had a worried look.

“Mr. Morris, you have two choices, either correct these actions taken after your letter arrived, or we can let a judge make the decisions. I have copies to back up my positions.”

“Mr. Walkins, may I have a copy of that information?”

“Yes, I handed a package of information to Mr. James.”

“Mr. Morris, if you correct these actions of the heirs so that Mrs. Struthers obtains her share of the estate befitting the wife of Mr. Struthers, I’ll cancel my lawsuit.”

“That doesn’t give us much time.”

“You are right, Mr. James. However, there are two things you can do within the next 24 hours. Notify the Realtor that the lodge is no longer for sale and notify the heirs to return the money to the bank and put it in Mr. Struthers’s account. If that is done, I’ll postpone the hearing.”

“We can do that, but there is no guarantee they will do that.”

“I suggest you use your best to get them to do that, or I’ll go after them, and they may lose more.”

“Let’s go, Andrew. We might get lucky and get an early flight. It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Walkins.”

“Good luck, gentlemen.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 17
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, weinerdog said:

The whispered voice Tim AND Stephen heard safe to say was Donnie by letting Stephen hear him I guess Donnie approves of him.

If the money is Off shore it may be hard to get to it's a classic way for the wealthy to avoid paying taxes but I don't know how it would play out here.

Even so, they are playing games to keep Ann Marie from getting her proper inheritance.  If they don’t get the funds back pronto, they deserve everything the judge throws at them and more for their greed.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW  WOW WOW ... Only one thing to say ... I love Tim!!!!

Oh and it seems that Donnie is still helping him... I swear that whisper came from Donnie. Love it ... 

Edited by Kev
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Way to  goTimothy!!!!   Mr. Morris just got back handed by Timothy and did not even see it coming when it hit him.  No beating around the bush, no time for Mr. Morris to think.  With the converstion being recorded.  Mr Morris may have a new purpose for his law degree,  as a liner for a cats litter box.  i am not a real attorney fan,  but there are times when one will come along and surprise the pants off of you.  Timothy went after  a pound of blood and a pound of flesh jumping on Mr. Morris.

Sure going to be a very long flight back to his office.  He may need to stop along the way someplace and  change his  underwear. 

Great chapter. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Anyone familiar with sailing will understand the phrase "lowering the boom". In Mr. Morris'* case not only is Timothy 'lowering the boom', he may also be preparing to keelhaul that 'Ambulance Chaser'.

As for Morris persuading George Struthers' children and heirs to return 'offshore' assets to the U.S. voluntarily? I think Timothy's next best move is to have his discovered documents find their way into IRS hands.

We've heard of 'horse whisperers' but Donnie has those beaten. But I think Timothy and Stephen want to keep 'hearing voices' knowledge away from others, lest they get invited to a rubber room.

Note:

* CL I noticed just a couple of spelling errors. In the 3rd paragraph Tim speaks of Morris "...he was now in the procession of a document..." but I think you meant to say possession. The other oops is when pluralizing or 'possesive' use of any word ending in an 's' is to just add an apostrophe and not 's. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 11/30/2021 at 6:44 AM, Chris L said:

Well, as they say, somebody got a fire lit under their ass! Timothy definitely let it be known he's not playing. 

No he's not. The big question is Tim going to take revenge or is he going to be professional in his interaction with AM

  • Like 5
Link to comment
23 hours ago, weinerdog said:

The whispered voice Tim AND Stephen heard safe to say was Donnie by letting Stephen hear him I guess Donnie approves of him.

If the money is Off shore it may be hard to get to it's a classic way for the wealthy to avoid paying taxes but I don't know how it would play out here.

Yes, off shore accounts are hard to identify but remember Tim has a secret, he gets info from a whisperer

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 5
Link to comment
13 hours ago, bottomguy said:

Way to  goTimothy!!!!   Mr. Morris just got back handed by Timothy and did not even see it coming when it hit him.  No beating around the bush, no time for Mr. Morris to think.  With the converstion being recorded.  Mr Morris may have a new purpose for his law degree,  as a liner for a cats litter box.  i am not a real attorney fan,  but there are times when one will come along and surprise the pants off of you.  Timothy went after  a pound of blood and a pound of flesh jumping on Mr. Morris.

Sure going to be a very long flight back to his office.  He may need to stop along the way someplace and  change his  underwear. 

Great chapter. 

Wicked. I wonder what Morris is offering James to keep quiet.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Anyone familiar with sailing will understand the phrase "lowering the boom". In Mr. Morris'* case not only is Timothy 'lowering the boom', he may also be preparing to keelhaul that 'Ambulance Chaser'.

As for Morris persuading George Struthers' children and heirs to return 'offshore' assets to the U.S. voluntarily? I think Timothy's next best move is to have his discovered documents find their way into IRS hands.

We've heard of 'horse whisperers' but Donnie has those beaten. But I think Timothy and Stephen want to keep 'hearing voices' knowledge away from others, lest they get invited to a rubber room.

Note:

* CL I noticed just a couple of spelling errors. In the 3rd paragraph Tim speaks of Morris "...he was now in the procession of a document..." but I think you meant to say possession. The other oops is when pluralizing or 'possesive' use of any word ending in an 's' is to just add an apostrophe and not 's. 

 

I keep asking you to proof read for me and you say no.  I am a one hand typist, it's called hunt and pick method

Donnie will continue to intercede on Tim's behalf.  I think a certain lawyer may need to find a new job. in either case Tim has to notify the IRS of the existence of an offshore account.. 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Our family has not had good experiences with those in the legal profession.  My mother was a legal secretary for many years.  She was so good that the attorney could just give her the particulars and she could draw up the will or real estate papers without any further assistance, but she was never given any credit.  In fact, they would complain about her taking a sick day or us coming to pick her up!

One time she was called for jury duty.  When she was asked if there was any reason why she couldn’t serve on a jury, she said, “I work for a lawyer.  I know what shysters they are.”  She was immediately dismissed and was never called again!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I keep asking you to proof read for me and you say no.  I am a one hand typist, it's called hunt and pick method

Donnie will continue to intercede on Tim's behalf.  I think a certain lawyer may need to find a new job. in either case Tim has to notify the IRS of the existence of an offshore account.. 

 

 

Cal, you wrote: "I keep asking you to proof read for me and you say no.  I am a one hand typist, it's called hunt and pick method."

... See direct message, coming soon.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..