Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,145 Words
  • 3,577 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 1. Chapter 1

“Mom, Dad, I have been accepted.” I had applied to a university in the South that was rated as one of the top ten schools for a law degree. My goal was to become a lawyer as my grandfather was before he died.

The first semester I lived in a dormitory on college grounds. My dorm mate was a senior who would graduate at the end of the semester. He was excited as he was going to law school in New England, Harvard, to finish his law studies to become a lawyer.

“Dean, I thought that you would have completed all of your studies to pass the bar when you graduated from here?”

“No, here you will get a general degree, but to get a law degree, you’ll need to go to a school that will provide the equivalent of a Master’s degree in law. Then you’ll need to pass the bar before you can practice. My family is from Connecticut, so I’ll go there for my Law degree and take the bar there once I finish law school at Harvard.”

“Do I have to transfer once I finish here?”

“No, you can stay here and get your degree. I don’t live here, so I wanted to go to law school close to my family.”

I understood that. I’d get my law degree here as my family lived about 200 miles away. Close enough to come and see me if necessary and far enough to give me some freedom.

I liked Dean. He helped me that first semester. It was like having a personal guide and tutor.

At the end of the semester, I had a gift for Dean. It was a book, Courts and Criminal Justice in America. “Tim, if you ever need help. I’m only a phone call away.”

How does one go from heaven to hell? I found out. My roommate for my second semester was just the opposite of Dean. He was a slop who didn’t respect privacy. He told me to call him Booker T. He never took daily showers, and he reeked by the end of the week. I don’t think he attended one class, and if he did, he never had homework. I came back to the dorm late one night. I was working on my assignment in the library. I had started doing that the second week of school. There was no way I could do any school work in the dorm.

When I entered my dorm, there was a party going on. Booker T was walking around in a pair of ratty old shorts, and obviously, he didn’t have any underwear on. He was drunk and started to put his arm around me. I shrugged him off and then noticed one of his friends was wearing my clothes.

“Booker T, why does he have my clothes on?”

“He spilled beer on his, and mine are too big for him. It’s okay, Timmy Boy, he’s a friend of mine.”

I think that was the last straw. I packed my clothes and took them to my car. I was thankful that I didn’t have my tv or any pictures. I wasn’t sure if I would have the same dorm when I returned for the second term or not.

I decided to look for a room off-campus. Until then, I would sleep in my car.

I called Dean, and he suggested I should look for Mrs. Betty Kenner’s place. She rented rooms to students. He gave me the address, and on the first Saturday after my phone call, I looked up Mrs. Kenner’s phone number and made an appointment.

That Saturday, I was hoping she would have an apartment to rent. Arriving at her address, I was in front of an old Victorian home. It looked like it came out of a historical book on Homes of the 1800’s. I didn’t need much; a bedroom and a bathroom were all I needed.

I knocked on the door. This little older woman came and answered the door. “Yes, how may I help you?”

“I’d like to see Mrs. Kenner if she is home.”

“I’m Mrs. Kenner. How may I help you?”

“Mrs. Kenner, a friend of mine, told me you rent apartments to the students. I’d appreciate it if you could let me know if you would have one to rent?”

“Who told you I rent apartments to students?”

“Dean Smithson, a friend of mine.”

“Come in. I have one apartment on the second floor that just became vacant. The young lady who occupied that apartment graduated and left at the end of the month. I’ll show you the apartment. Follow me.”

I followed her out of the living room into a larger room that contained a TV set, a sofa, and several stuffed chairs. I was confused, and it must have shown.

“This is the common room for all of my renters. If you rent here, I’d expect you to pitch in and keep this room clean.”

I followed her up the stairs to the second floor. We walked down the hall to the last door on the left. I noticed there were four doors. Two per side and one door straight ahead. Between the doors were tables with lamps on them and a tray.

She opened the door, and we walked into the kitchen. “That is the bathroom,” pointing to the end of the kitchen. “This is the bedroom,” opening the door to my right.

The bedroom was large. There was a queen-size bed, a dresser, a closet, and a desk. “You will have to provide your linens and towels. There are some plates, cups, cooking pans in the kitchen. Previous tenants left them. If you need more, you’ll have to buy them.”

I smiled, I could eat at the school cafeteria, but I would need bed linen and towels for showering,

“Mrs. Kenner, this would be perfect. How soon can I move in?”

“As soon as you sign the lease. I’ll prorate the monthly rent for the days left this month. I want my renters to pay on the first of the month plus one month in reserve.”

I asked her how much was the rent, “The rent is 150 dollars per month. That includes all utilities and the use of the washer and dryer at the end of the hall. I’ll show you.”

I followed her to the end of the hall. When she opened the door, there was a washer and dryer with shelves on the wall above these two units. There was a box of soap for the washer.

I signed the lease and paid her 225 dollars. She smiled as she took the money. “Welcome, I think you will like it here. The next time you talk with Dean, tell him I said hello and thanks for sending you.”

“I will.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 54
  • Love 13
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Geez talk about the roommate from hell.  Is he based on personal experience?I'm glad Dean told Tim  about Mrs.Kenner place was  trying to get another dorm room not an option?I'm going to take a WILD guess here and say he has a relationship with one of the other tenants.

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Tim's new accommodations should be an improvement over his dorm room and the 'slob' roommate. Hopefully Mrs. Kenner isn't like the old landlady Aunts from 'Arsenic and Old Lace' (which to be clear was WAY before my time, but 'required' reading in one college course). 

As a law student Tim could easily make his 'case' for a refund on rooming he already paid for.

Story looks good so far CL. 

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 5
Link to comment
16 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Geez talk about the roommate from hell.  Is he based on personal experience?I'm glad Dean told Tim  about Mrs.Kenner place was  trying to get another dorm room not an option?I'm going to take a WILD guess here and say he has a relationship with one of the other tenants.

You may be right and then you might be wrong. Tim may not have gotten away from the Booker T's pf the world.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
13 hours ago, bottomguy said:

Well, lets see what Mrs. Kenner's hospitality will bring to the new kid in the house.  Will Timothy be in for a good experience, maybe a possible twist that Mrs. Kenner has in mind.  Interesting to find out.

In every life there is always a few rough spots. Let's hope there aren't to many for Tim

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Tim's new accommodations should be an improvement over his dorm room and the 'slob' roommate. Hopefully Mrs. Kenner isn't like the old landlady Aunts from 'Arsenic and Old Lace' (which to be clear was WAY before my time, but 'required' reading in one college course). 

As a law student Tim could easily make his 'case' for a refund on rooming he already paid for.

Story looks good so far CL. 

 

Thanks Tony.  Wasn't that book made into a movie? I think it was also a play.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Thanks Tony.  Wasn't that book made into a movie? I think it was also a play.

Had to search a bit. According to Wikipedia the 1938 book became a  Broadway 'Black Comedy' play financed by Boris Karloff (actor who played original Frankenstein monster). It became a movie in 1944 also starring Boris Karloff. In 1962 it was turned into a NBC-TV movie. You might find it online or on TCM (Turner Classic Movies). Thanks for the 'homework' 😉

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Well the scene of Booker T was familiar.  I had a slob roommate in college and got rid of him quickly.  The apartment was in my name not his.  Dean is a good friend to recommend Mrs. Kenner to Timothy.  The room and set up look good.  Now that he has off campus housing, he needs to focus on his studies again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..