Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 659 Words
  • 2,125 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 14. Chapter 14

Thirty minutes later, we pulled into his driveway. His home looked like it came from an architect drawing in a magazine. I felt a little afraid. Stephen’s family was very well off. My parents, in contrast, were okay, but this house exuded wealth.

We took our suitcases and headed to the front door. “We’ll surprise them. I normally use the back door.”

Stephen tried the door, and it was locked. “I guess we will have to use the back door.”

Just as we were ready to leave, the door opened. There was an older gentleman, and when he saw Stephen, he smiled and pulled him into a hug. I thought this must be his grandfather. Then he saw me. I was wrapped in two arms, “You must be Timothy.”

“Yes, sir, you must be the infamous grandfather I heard so much about.” He laughed.

I followed Stephen and his grandfather into the house. The door no more than closed when an older woman approached Stephen. “Hello, Mother. This is Timothy.”

She welcomed me to her home, “Stephen, your father is still at work. Why don’t you show Timothy to the guest room? I’ll have some refreshments for you when you come back down.”

Smiling, she left us alone with Stephen’s grandfather. “Tim, follow me.”

“Do you mind if I come with you? I like to get to know this young man a little better.”

I looked at Stephen’s grandfather, and he had a twinkle in his eyes. I wonder if this was going to be the third degree.

I picked up my suitcase and followed Stephen and his grandfather up the stairs.

“This is your room. My room is on the other side of the library. Follow me, and I’ll give you a short tour.”

And it was a short tour. We stopped at the room he called a library, and it was a library that would rival the college’s library. The walls were covered with shelves loaded with books. In the center was a table. On both sides were comfortable-looking armchairs in leather. Each chair had a reading light. The room looked comfortable.

Stephen’s room was something I would have expected after seeing the Library. He had a queen-size bed, but what got my attention was the small living room suite. Beside a sofa and two chairs, there was a desk with a computer I didn’t recognize.

“You know what my major was at the University? This is what started it. I had a commercial computer, and I still have that one here somewhere. I started to read up on computers, and in my senior year in high school, I built this one. The printer I bought.”

As I looked at his computer, I noticed the keyboard wasn’t standard. He saw me looking and laughed.

“It is a standard keyboard, but only you and I know that. I designed the keyboard to be sure only someone with typing skills could use it. Think of it as a little insurance no one else can use it.”

“Stephen plays this computer as one plays a fine instrument. He will be an asset in my computer department.”

This is the grandfather he talked about working with during the summer break from college. I must have an expression of understanding on my face. “He didn’t tell you he worked for me?”

“He told me he worked for his grandfather, but I just made the connection.”

“Stephen said you are studying law.”

“Yes, corporate law, I’m looking toward graduation and passing my boards. I didn’t think I would need it as a corporate lawyer, but Stephen changed my mind.”

I saw Stephen’s grandfather look at Stephen and nod. The smile on Stephen’s face conveyed everything was okay. But I felt there was something else that was shared which I didn’t understand.

Stephen’s mother called Stephen on his cell phone. I thought that was strange.

“Mother said she has refreshments for us.”

And the interrogation starts, or not
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 16
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Many things to look forward to.We see that the Grandfather is a great guy combine that with Stephen being a great guy and you  think the parents would be OK but has there been a reason why Stephen has been so tight lipped about his orientation?We shall see also the difference is wealth could be an issue. I wonder how Tim's snob sister would react to that?

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great way to meet the in-laws, I think there a curve ball ahead , I somehow think that he doesn't work for his grandfather but that the business is his and the grandfather works for him, definitely interesting developments ahead

  • Like 5
Link to comment

It will be interesting to see how this secure communication between Stephen and Grandfather develops. Clearly it has something to do with Tim's future. How totally weird for mother to phone to say lunch was ready, that boy needs out of there as soon as possible; or Grandpa needs to get rid of his rents for him. Still loving my boys though. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Chris L said:

Well hell, Timothy hasn't even graduated and Stephen and grandfather have him set up with a job already - you can just tell by the "something unspoken" LOL!!! 

I'm sure Stephen had his had I that 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, bottomguy said:

Something about Stephens parents seems a little off to me.  Grandfather of Stephen sounds and acts more interested with Tim then the mother.  I think there may be a sudden change here that Stephen may know will happen when he tells his parents about Tim.  This may be part of why Stephen's grandfather is around along with a job offer?? 

Contacting Stephen by cell phone while in the same house just seems a little chilly to me.  This is Stephen's loving mother?  There is more to this story that will be revealed I do think.  Stephen is a computer wiz apparently. 

I think Stephen's mother is a little uppity.  I wonder if she knew Stephen was bringing home a friend

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, drsawzall said:

My goodness...one has top be curious to see what Steven and his grandfather have planned, wondering what sort of business granddad is in??

Now to the parents, wealth doesn't necessarily equate to smarts or common sense!!!

I know what sort of business but let's not get ahead of the story.  But I have left clues

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great way to meet the in-laws, I think there a curve ball ahead , I somehow think that he doesn't work for his grandfather but that the business is his and the grandfather works for him, definitely interesting developments ahead

That would be a twist.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Kev said:

It will be interesting to see how this secure communication between Stephen and Grandfather develops. Clearly it has something to do with Tim's future. How totally weird for mother to phone to say lunch was ready, that boy needs out of there as soon as possible; or Grandpa needs to get rid of his rents for him. Still loving my boys though. 

I thought that strange as well except, she is trying to impress, as she does with her girlfriends. I'm. sure you have met a woman who leaves her boudoir in the mornig perfectly dressed.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, dutch woman said:

You made me curious

Okay, what made you curious? Wait tomorrow's posting may answer that question..

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

.....Stephen’s grandfather came, and I had the opportunity to meet him.  ...

Just a flashback to graduation.  CL, you need a new continuity girl! 😜

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/29/2021 at 7:52 PM, IBEX said:

.....Stephen’s grandfather came, and I had the opportunity to meet him.  ...

Just a flashback to graduation.  CL, you need a new continuity girl! 😜

My same thought as I was reading this chapter. But apparently Stephen's parents didn't come to his graduation then. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..