Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 871 Words
  • 1,729 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 52. Chapter 52

Arriving back home, “Tim, you need to talk with the doctors about what we found. With that information, there is a chance that Ann Marie could be released sooner.”

“I was planning on giving her doctor a call tomorrow from my office, and I’ll request an appointment with him. I think Mom knew what happened and kept quiet about it.”

“Do you think that is why she is acting like she is?”

“That’s a possibility. Her actions could be to protect Ann Marie, or she could feel guilty for covering it up. I’ll bet Dad would be shocked if he knew what happened to Ann Marie.”

“And that your mother had covered it up.”

I gave a lot of thought to our conversation. Mom wasn’t upset when I came out. I wonder how she would’ve reacted if I had started to date girls.

 

In the morning, while having our coffee, “Stephen, do you think Mom’s reaction to what I did for Ann Marie is because she feels complicit in the way Ann Marie acts. If she had Ann Marie see a therapist when this happened, we wouldn’t be in the situation we are now.”

“There’s no question that your mom should have made it a priority to have Ann Marie seek professional help. What happened had to have a traumatic effect on Ann Marie, and I’m sure she told your mother what happened.”

“Do you think that might be the reason Ann Marie hates me?”

“I think you remind her of what happened. I also think that is why she liked older men. Mr. Struthers certainly was unable to force himself on her, and she was window candy for him. He could brag about such a young wife.”

“She will have to relive that incident all over again.”

“Yes, only this time it will be under the guidance of a professional. I’m sure the doctor has helped clients through traumatic experiences.”

 

Friday, we met with Ann Marie’s doctor. “We think we found the reason you were only able to take Ann Marie back to her high school.” Over the next hour, we told the doctor what we found in an old newspaper concerning a senior’s abduction and the rape. “We think that girl was Ann Marie.”

“That could be the reason we can only go back so far until she blacks out. Knowing this, I’m sure we can help her. It will still take time, but now we know how to proceed.”

Stephen and I left the hospital with a feeling of hope for Ann Marie. After talking with her doctor, I had a different feeling. I began to believe my relationship with Ann Marie would change. I’ll no longer look at her as someone to avoid, and I hope to have a positive relationship with her.

“Hello, Stephen to Tim.”

“I was thinking. Donnie and I faced verbal abuse. Thanks to Donnie, no one would dare to get physical with us. We only had to put up with verbal harassment. I remember one boy went to grab my ass when I was walking with Donnie. Donnie grabbed him, pushed him against the wall. He yelled in the kid’s ear,’ The next time you look at him, you’ll have a couple of black eyes, and if you touch him, you’ll be in the hospital.’ The kid was shaking. He avoided us from that time on. Word got out, and we didn’t have any physical altercations, but the verbal continued, that we ignored.”

“I never had to experience any of that. I guess I was so far in the closet, and I avoided close relationships with boys. I had friends in school, none outside of school. I avoided parties unless I had a date. I made a habit of not dating anyone special and not for more than two dates. I was a geek, and computers were my girlfriend.”

“Well, you are still a geek. But you’re my geek.” I kissed him.

We walked home from the parking lot, holding hands.

 

Ann Marie’s doctor called me the day before Eva and John’s wedding. “We have made a breakthrough, and now we can help her.”

Eva’s wedding was a beautiful affair. Sitting next to Stephen, holding hands, I repeated the priest’s vows to unite John and Eva as a married couple. Stephen squeezed my hand, looked at me, and mouthed the words, ‘I love you.

The reception was held in the church hall. Stephen and I gave them a cruise for a wedding present,

 

Driving to the Farm, “It was a nice wedding.”

“Yes, I spoke to Dad at the reception. He asked about Ann Marie, and I told him she was making progress. I didn’t speak to Mom. When I went to talk to her, she saw me coming and walked away.”

“She’s afraid. If she talks to you, she’ll have to tell you why she’s acting as she does around you. She wants to talk and tell you she was wrong to act like she did with you but doesn’t know how without telling you about Ann Marie. Give it time. When Ann Marie is released from the hospital, we’ll all sit down and talk.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 8
  • Sad 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

 We know AM hates Tim but she also stayed away from the family for a long time so does some of that also extend to her Mom?

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Maybe the boy that Donnie had scared off  or his older brother was one of the boys that raped AM, and that boy had told AM why they raped here. That certainly would be a reason for AM to hate her brother

Edited by dutch woman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

Mom's keeping AM's rape a secret seems reasonable to me. It's only the last 2-3 years that a large number of women, including those famous in sports and media and entertainment, have spoken publicly about having been molested and raped. It would have been a whole second trauma for AM's gang rape to have been made public in our culture which routinely shames women but excusing men as "boys will be boys." It takes a lot of courage for a teenage girl to go public, with the likelihood of being harassed or shunned, being whispered about ("she must have led those buys on" or "she really wanted it," knowing she'd have diminished prospects of marriage. It's horrible that people do that to the victim, and it is still happning to this day. Like many parents, Mom probably thought she was protecting AM. Plus Mom may have well experienced being molested at some point in her life and was taught by her mother to keep it quiet. I think both AM and mom are the victims in this story and deserve our compassion.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 12/16/2021 at 6:53 AM, Christopher said:

Wow, the mom is definitely a piece of work. First, who on earth would think hiding something like that would be in everyones best interest regardless of the perceived embarrassment??? I'm glad AM is finally getting better and hopefully the family can all begin a much needed healing process. Thanks to 3 low-lifes and the moms handling of the situation, this family was torn apart and has had to endure more than enough. Time for healing to begin. 

Healing is definitely in Tim's mind but the scars will remain and those will take a long time to heal.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 12/16/2021 at 8:35 AM, chris191070 said:

It seems Mum had her Interests at heart, rather than AM.

it is always interesting how we are able to divert attention from ourselves even at the cost of someone else.  Man has a devious mind

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/16/2021 at 10:57 AM, weinerdog said:

 We know AM hates Tim but she also stayed away from the family for a long time so does some of that also extend to her Mom?

AM is running away from everything that reminds her of the assault. When she has no choice, it is either street of home., she chose home. There she could hide in a room.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 12/16/2021 at 11:39 AM, mikedup said:

Well some progress with Ann,  any progress is good news , mom must be carrying an lifelong worth of guilt on her shoulders , dad now knows a bit more but not everything, he no doubt will be absolutely pissed and devestated at the same time (pissed at mom and devestated about what happened to AM) a great wedding I hope that they have a great honeymoon, Tim and Stephen are still good for each other

In some ways I envy Tim and Stephen, two young men who not only love each other but support each other. I think Donnie steered Tim in the right direction when Stephen entered his life.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, dutch woman said:

Maybe the boy that Donnie had scared off  or his older brother was one of the boys that raped AM, and that boy had told AM why they raped here. That certainly would be a reason for AM to hate her brother

That could be a reason. although I think she hated all men as a result of the rape. It would have been different if she had help from day 1.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, frosenblum said:

Mom's keeping AM's rape a secret seems reasonable to me. It's only the last 2-3 years that a large number of women, including those famous in sports and media and entertainment, have spoken publicly about having been molested and raped. It would have been a whole second trauma for AM's gang rape to have been made public in our culture which routinely shames women but excusing men as "boys will be boys." It takes a lot of courage for a teenage girl to go public, with the likelihood of being harassed or shunned, being whispered about ("she must have led those buys on" or "she really wanted it," knowing she'd have diminished prospects of marriage. It's horrible that people do that to the victim, and it is still happning to this day. Like many parents, Mom probably thought she was protecting AM. Plus Mom may have well experienced being molested at some point in her life and was taught by her mother to keep it quiet. I think both AM and mom are the victims in this story and deserve our compassion.

I agree with your statement except it would have been different if Mom wanted to keep it quiet but arranged for Ann Marie to have professional help. I'm sure that every male that Ann Marie sees reminds her of the assault. With professional help, she would  be able to deal with the trauma. She will never forget it, but talking it through with a professional, she may be able to accept that she wasn't the cause even though she may have acted in a provocative way.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I agree with your statement except it would have been different if Mom wanted to keep it quiet but arranged for Ann Marie to have professional help. I'm sure that every male that Ann Marie sees reminds her of the assault. With professional help, she would  be able to deal with the trauma. She will never forget it, but talking it through with a professional, she may be able to accept that she wasn't the cause even though she may have acted in a provocative way.

It is commendable that you are addressing the serious repercussions of rape on both women who have been raped and on their entire family. And written in a way that we can relate to each of the people involved.

I'm in my late seventies and have been surprised at how many friends and acquaintances have shared that they had been sexually assaulted. (A few men, but mostly women.) The emotional trauma was still being felt years later.

Most of my women friends, including those who hadn't experienced sexual assault, have shared about their fear of being attacked as they move through the world. I remember the day I realized that, consistently, if I happened to be walking on the same side of the street as a woman ahead of me, her body visibly shifted into alert mode. I decided that, as a six-foot man living in this kind of world, I had a responsibility to active to allay that fear. I made it a habit to cross to the other side of the street well before I got close to any woman walking ahead of me.

It is sad that women, for their own safety, need to be on guard so much of the time. it has a huge emotional impact.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..