Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 683 Words
  • 2,748 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 2. Chapter 2

I had to call Mom and Dad and give them my new address. Walking to my car, Mrs. Kenner called me back. “ Timothy, you can park in the garage. It’s empty, and you can pay for it by mowing the grass.” I thought that was a deal and agreed to do it.

I phoned Mom and Dad and told them my new address. They wanted to know why I moved out of the dorm, so I told them. Dad thought I had made a good decision and offered to pay for my rental. He said it would be less than dorm fees at the school.

I moved all of my belonging from the car into my apartment. I now needed bed linen and towels. I asked Mrs. Kenner where I could buy these items. She said she would show me. Now I had a passenger, and I had a feeling I would be driving Mrs. Kenner often. She appeared to be a nice old lady, and as a southern gentleman, I didn’t mind.

She showed me the way to a shopping mall. “I shop here. That store has bed linen. Remember that the bed is queen size, and you’ll need two pillows as well, while you do that. I’ll do some shopping.”

Walking into the store, I told the clerk what I needed.

“Is this for a dorm?”

“No, I’m renting a room in one of those big houses.”

“Oh, you are renting in Mrs. Kenner’s home?”

“Yes. How did you know?”

“We get a lot of her renters here. Follow me, and I think I know what you will need.”

And I did. “These are the sheets you will need, and I would recommend these two blankets. I have two kinds of pillows. I’ll show you. This pillow is filled with feathers, and this pillow is filled with cotton. The cotton is cheaper, but a lot of people like the feather pillows.”

I felt each pillow and settled for the feather pillows.

“Do you need towels, washcloths, and kitchen towels?”

“Yes, I’ll need bath towels and washcloths.”

I followed him, “These are a good grade bath towel. I sell a lot of them.”

“How about those?”

“They are more expensive, but you don’t need them. The cost of one of those will buy two of these. Unless you have a lot of money, I’d recommend these.”

So I bought a dozen towels. Looking at the washcloths, I bought six of them. “You should buy one of these.”

“What is that?”

“It’s a bath sponge, and a lot of people like to shower with them. Try one.”

So I bought one. Walking to the register to pay, he picked up a bundle of kitchen towels. “You’ll need these a well.”

I paid for everything with my credit card. Now I needed to go shopping for soap to wash clothes. As I was leaving the store, I met Mrs. Kenner coming back with her shopping.

“How did you do, Timothy?”

“I think I have everything I’ll need. I need to go grocery shopping for washing machine soap and some orange juice.”

“Are you planning on taking your meals at the university?”

“I was. Why?”

“It will be cheaper for you to eat your breakfast and dinner in your apartment. You can prepare your food to your preference.”

I thought about that, except for dry cereal, breakfasts at the cafeteria were general lukewarm at best. I shudder when I think of cold eggs. Lunch was okay, the soup was hot, and sandwiches were okay. I hardly ate anything in the cafeteria for dinner.

“Okay, Mrs. Kenner, you convinced me. Where is the grocery store?”

We drove to a grocery store near her home, well near my apartment. Taking a cart, I bought orange juice, Mrs. Kenner walked along with me. If I heard, “You’ll need this,” and she would put something into my cart.

Before Mom and Dad arrived, I was settled. During the week, I drove to school, had lunch in the cafeteria, breakfast, and dinner in my apartment.

Now Tim is settled in his apartment and he's about to meet some new people
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 59
  • Love 11
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

..I noticed there were four doors. Two per side and one door straight ahead....

Doesn't that make them FIVE doors in total? 🤪

 

Great beginning, I sense a warm welcome and cosy atmosphere in the house!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Mrs Kenner obviously from the clues is a caring lady who takes care of her renters.  Although, she probably thinks of them more as her kids.  I think she might even become a surrogate Grandma for Timothy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..