Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 676 Words
  • 2,223 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 79. Chapter 79

The following day I called Judge Howard’s office, and he agreed to meet me for lunch at the Southern Bell Hotel near the Court House. That night Donnie visited.” Tim, Judge Howard is on your side. Tom must move back home, and his parents would like him home. His dad is prepared to protect him.”

I woke up. “Stephen, we must contact Tom. He needs to move back home.”

“Donnie?”

“Yes,” then I fell asleep again.

In the morning, sitting at the breakfast table, Dad announced he was thinking of retiring. “Dad, are you old enough to retire?”

“I’m not old enough, but I have more than 25 years with the company. My retirement money will be less than I would earn if I retired at 65. I was thinking of selling the house and moving closer to you and Stephen.”

I heard a dish break, “Mom, are you okay?”

“Yes, the dish slipped out of my hand.”

I knew that wasn’t true. It was dropped when she heard what Dad said about retiring and moving.

“Dad, it would be easier if the family was together, but what about Eva and John. I don’t think Mom wants to leave this area as long as they live here. Give it some thought and make sure Mom agrees before you make any decisions.”

“I need to get to work. I’ll think about it. Marie, we can discuss it tonight. When I come home.”

“Stephen, let’s run out to the farm, and then we have a luncheon meeting with Judge Howard. I also want to be here for the DA’s press conference.”

“Are we going to talk to Rich?”

‘Yes, after we met with the Judge.”

We stayed long enough at the farm for Stephen to do some work on Randy’s computers, and I had another cup of coffee. Driving back to town, we were too early for our lunch engagement. “Stephen, let’s walk around Main Street. Keep your eyes open and your ears tuned in to any interesting conversations. Try to judge the temperament of the town.”

We walked past the coffee shop, they were pretty busy, and it was too early for lunch and too late for breakfast. “Stephen, let’s have a cup of coffee.” Stephen just smiled as he opened the door for me.

Walking into the coffee shop, the noise level dropped. The quiet became apparent, and the looks weren’t friendly. We went to the counter, sat down, and ordered our coffees. I knew our waiter, and his father was a senior when I was in junior high. “Your Robert’s son, right?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Why did everyone stop talking when we entered?”

“I don’t know, sir.”

We started to drink our coffee slowly. A man came and sat beside me, “Why don’t you take your gay boyfriend and get the hell out of town. Haven’t you caused enough trouble here?”

“Are you jealous? I’m sure one of these men would like to be your boyfriend.”

“Tim, you’re going to start a riot. Let’s finish our coffee and leave.”

“No, Donnie and I took a lot of crap here, but no more.”

“Be smart and listen to your boyfriend.”

I took out one of my cards, “What is your name?”

“Why?”

“I’m having lunch with Judge Howard, and I want to pass your name on to him.”

“Why?”

“He wants to know who the trouble makers are. And you qualify.”

He left, returning to his table murmuring, fucking fags, they are everywhere. Stephen and I finished our coffee and walked to the river. It was like when Donnie and I were in high school. “When Donnie and I were in high school. There were times like today, and we found peace here at the river. The silence was soothing, and the quiet noise of the flowing river seemed to take our anger away.”

“It’s okay, Tim, but it’s evident that the town is on pins and needles.”

“Let’s go to the Hotel, it will be a little early, but that will be okay.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 4
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 4
  • Angry 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 1/19/2022 at 4:19 PM, Christopher said:

The closed minded and stupid! I'm aghast at the confrontation by peanut for a brain in the restaurant. What a homophobic town. It's definitely obvious that Timothy will have to have the judge move the venue because there's no way Tom would get a fair and impartial jury in that town. And what's up with mom and Dad? Dad is great but mom's definitely hiding something and it isn't good. I think Dad is sensing that as well and why he wants to get out of that town - ie retiring early. Who knows what harassment he's getting at work. Glad Donnie is in the picture to guide.  

Donnie will always be there to guide, he will protect Tim and Stephen as well. He's not far from them.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 1/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, chris191070 said:

The mood in the town is very volatile because of the newspaper article. Lunch with Judge Howard will be interesting. Hopefully the DA press conference will diffuse the situation.

Things will probably get worse before they get better.

That is so true, the situation needs to be focused on in the open.

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 1/19/2022 at 6:43 PM, mikedup said:

I think that Bruce is feared more than the gay element , I wonder what control he has over them , it is going to come out there is no doubt that anymore, I wonder if Bruce's parents are still around stirring trouble in the background, 

There are people who do not want Bruce to return. He is an unknown, a land mine, and they are afraid of what he will say under oath. He has left other victims behind and being privy to talks with his clients, they are afraid he will do or say anything to save his skin.

  • Like 4
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
On 1/19/2022 at 9:56 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

Wow! 6 out of 7 emoji reactions Cal.

This really is turning out to be a hick town, complete with hate spewing yokels.

Thank goodness Donnie is back.

 

Donnie has become Tim's guardian angel (lower case on purpose). Their love for each other must have been strong. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Kev said:

You know I reckon that I would have jumped on the fastest horse possible and hightailed it out of town, never looking back. Tim, why for goodness sake? These people still live in the middle ages! I know that he wants to help AM but it's clear everyone is against him, even his mom! Let Dad retire and move, maybe moving mom away from there will make her human again. 

Loving the story, but still angry with certain people in it! Come on Donnie sort the beggars out!!!!! 

Donnie isn't finish, and neither is Tim and Stephen.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 1/19/2022 at 2:04 PM, dutch woman said:

I also do not understand why the women in the town and especially the victims do not stand up against the violence of the men, now is the time. They now know they are not the only victims and things will only change when they stand up.

These women may intellectually understand this and may even want to stand up. But emotionally, it can be a different story, suffering from the crippling trauma of the rapes. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Bft

Posted (edited)

I think that Tim’s mother is filling Bruce in on what’s happening with the lawsuit, I think that there’s a lot about her that we don’t know, is Bruce holding something over her head? 

Edited by Bft
  • Like 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..