Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 904 Words
  • 1,847 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 34. Chapter 34

That evening Randy arrived with Mom and Aunt Clara. “Dad said for me to stay, but I need to get back home.”

“Well, you can’t go home today. Stay the night, and you can leave after breakfast tomorrow. I’ll call Dad and tell him.”

“Tim, we can set up a cot in your office for him, or he can…..

“No, he can’t sleep with us.”

“I wasn’t going to suggest that. I was going to suggest we set up a cot in Aunt Clara’s room.”

Laughing, “Let’s ask him.”

“Randy, do you want to sleep on a cot in Tim’s study or your Mother’s room?”

“Is there room in the study? There is a lot of equipment in that room.”

“There is room.”

“Call Dad and tell him you are staying the night. He’ll be worried if you don’t show up tonight.”

“Tim, let’s call the Pizza Shack and have the deliver dinner.”

“Can I order the pizza?”

“Sure, but you need to order three orders of spaghetti with meatballs, also.”

“Want to bet he orders a large with everything?”

“No, but he will be disappointed; those won’t be as large as the one he got back when we were at the university.”

“There will be enough spaghetti for him.”

 

Over dinner we had, what has been referred to as small talk. One subject and name were not mentioned. I was curious about Ann Marie’s reaction when she received the letter from the lawyer. But this was a family dinner, so we discussed Eva’s wedding, Parker’s selling, what we would do with that farm, and Randy’s plans for the future.

“Randy, what are your plans for your future?”

“I haven’t decided between commuter technology or raising goats.”

Everyone laughed. It was evident that Randy had a sense of humor.

“Seriously, have you given much thought as to what you are going to do when you graduate high school?” Everyone laughed.

“Yes, Dad and I have had a few serious chats. There are a lot of options.” Looking at his mother, “I think I’d like to be a doctor.” He no sooner said that when Aunt Clara had him in her arms.

I realized the bond that had developed over the years between them was strong. Looking at Stephen, I mouthed the words, “He would be a great doctor.” I got a smile back.

A knock on our door announced the arrival of our dinner. Before Stephen could answer the door, Randy opened the door, took the pizza and spaghetti, and walked away, leaving Stephen to pay. Mom started the coffee. Aunt Clara was taking the makings for a salad from the refrigerator. It seemed like in no time, the table was set. Randy placed the containers of spaghetti in the center of the table and the pizza in front of his seat.

We watched as he opened the box. Why do people smell the aroma of pizza before taking a slice to eat? He smiled; we heard a hmmm, then the first bite. He was enjoying that bite when he looked around the table, “What?”

Laughing, “We were just watching you as you fell in love with your pizza.”

“Just enjoy it, son.”

“Thanks, Mom.”

It felt good to be eating together as a family. We told Mom how when Randy had a good report card, we would go to a pizza place, and he could order whatever he wanted. Leftovers we took to his apartment. Eventually, we just started to do take-outs.

“I think this is the first time we did this since we were married.”

“We should do this more often.”

“Yes, at least once a week.”

“I figured you would go for that. You’d have to drive up each week.”

“Unless I find a good Pizza place back home.”

“I don’t understand why there isn’t a pizza place there now. High school kids would guaranteed success.”

“I wonder if I could turn the Parker farm into a pizza restaurant?”

“That would be great, and I could work there.”

Laughing, “We wouldn’t make any money. You would eat all the profits.”

 

It was nice sitting there and just talking. It reminded me of a time when we sat around the table chatting and laughing. I miss those times, and hopefully, we will be getting back to those times soon. I looked at Stephen, and he was having a good time. I listened as he teased Randy. They are close. Stephen has known Randy for a long time. I couldn’t think of a better role model for Randy.

That night lying in bed, after our shower, “Randy looks up to you. You are a role model for him. What do you think about him becoming a doctor?”

“He is level-headed, and once he sets his mind to something, he follows through. He’ll be a great doctor, you’ll see.”

“As long as they pay him with pizza.”

 

I didn’t fall asleep right away. I thought about Randy and Stephen. I hadn’t forgotten my dream of Donnie telling me that my first son was to be called Donnie. How would Stephen react, and more importantly, how would Randy react? “Donnie, if you are listening, I hope you are right, and everything will work out. I snuggled in Stephen’s arms and fell asleep. Donnie wasn’t finished with me. “Tim, offer Dad 170,000 for the farm.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 18
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMG, I luv'd this chapter. It was centered around a family growing together. It's amazing how a thorn can be allowed to cause so much trouble. Nice to not have her around. lol

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great family dinner with the father unfortunately without dad , but then someone needs to keep that damn sister in line, randy would make a great doctor, doonie , seems to be able to predict and expect compliance, interesting I wonder what other things he will say and predict

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
19 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A great get together for the family, a nice relaxing evening without hassle from Ann Marie, hope Dad survived. Another dream about Donnie, he now knows what to offer for the farm.

I always enjoyed family get togethers.  A low key time to catch up, with all of the turmoil in there family this was needed

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Philippe said:

Porter Pizza, home of the fresh Goat Milk Cheese Pizza; a Climactic Cheese Experience from our farm to you. Employment opportunities for youth seeking the full experience and rewards of milking and culturing.

Have you ever had goat cheese, it doesn't melt as well as other cheeses but is great in salads.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Philippe said:

Sounds sorta like a multifunctional SUV; Donald SRT, good to have around.

I'm sure Donnie will have some input

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Chris L said:

OMG, I luv'd this chapter. It was centered around a family growing together. It's amazing how a thorn can be allowed to cause so much trouble. Nice to not have her around. lol

I have always enjoyed these times in my own family. Mom and Aunt Clara needed the break. Randy wouldn't pass up the opportunity to spend time with Stephen and Tim.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great family dinner with the father unfortunately without dad , but then someone needs to keep that damn sister in line, randy would make a great doctor, doonie , seems to be able to predict and expect compliance, interesting I wonder what other things he will say and predict

We all need someone to look after us from above. Stephen and Tim's marriage is a threesome, one is watching from above.

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Tell Tim, I'll work the pizza form for him... sounds like an absolutely delicious job! Doctor Randy... now that just sounds wrong, he would have to change his name. "Who are you seeing dear?" "Oh that new Randy doctor."

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
On 11/28/2021 at 6:16 PM, weinerdog said:

You can't ignore being told in your sleep to buy a farm for a specific amount like that.

Naming their Son Donald is a given but although I don't know this for sure I think you can give your child more then one middle name so how about in no particular order after Donald you have Stephen Randall Timothy as the in between names.

But what names would you suggest for the next one? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..