Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 854 Words
  • 1,543 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 94. Chapter 94


Following Dad into the house, Mom came to greet Dad until she saw me. Then I got my hug and a kiss on my cheek. “Where’s Stephen?”

“We stopped at the farm, and I left him with Randy, who will drive him over when they are through doing whatever they are doing. Where are the papers? I want to read the comments to Rich’s article?”

“They are in the living room on the table.”

I grabbed the papers and sat on the sofa, preparing to read the comments. Mom brought me a cup of coffee. I read Rich’s article, I picked up the following day’s edition, turning to the comment section. I quickly scanned the page, and there were several comments expressing condolences to Bruce’s family and wife. Those I scanned quickly since those I would have expected.

One comment was obviously written by one of his victims. ‘Dam, that man, he should roast in hell. He couldn’t face those whom he had hurt, those whom he had destroyed. He has taken away our justice for what he has done. I’ll spit on him and his grave.” Whoever wrote this identified themselves as AS.

The next one was similar in tone. ‘Leave it to the weakling to deny us our day in court. He caused me to have an abortion at the age of 14, and he ruined my life. I will carry the guilt of killing a child because of him. May he burn in Hell.”

I stopped reading the comments and called Rich.

“Rich, this is Tim. I just read some of the comments to your article; I was surprised at the venom in some of those comments.”

“Those that were printed were the least vindictive. Some people want to burn an effigy of him in the ball-field.”

“Do you know where they are going to bury him?”

“No, I haven’t heard if there is going to be internment here. They may have him cremated.”

“If they do decide for cremation, they better not let anyone know where they will deposit his ashes. By reading these comments, I’m sure there will be a riot. “

“If they bring him back for burial, he’ll end up being burned. From the tone of the comments not printed, they will dig up the grave and burn the casket with his body in it.”

“A lot of the hatred is Bruce’s fault, but if those people had spoken up at that time, none of this would have happened. They could’ve nipped it in the bud. You can do something to ensure that an individual does not walk Bruce’s path. Write an article stating that this hatred toward Bruce could have been stopped if those people he wronged had spoken out at the time. By not speaking out, they became a part of all that Bruce did and must also share in Bruce’s guilt.”

“That will cause a riot.”

“It might, but it just might stop someone from following in Bruce’s footsteps. By ignoring what Bruce did, it was like approving what he did. We may have saved a Bruce clone if we could make Bruce’s crime a lesson for the people. Think about it.”

“I’ll let you know what I decide.”

“Send me a preview if you decide to write a response to those comments.”

When I heard Randy’s car pull into the driveway, I told Rich I’d call him when I got home, as I was at my Mom and Dad’s place.

Randy was the first in the house, and I got a hug. Stephen followed, but I didn’t get a hug.
“What is this, Randy hugs me, and you don’t? You realize you will pay for that latter.”

“Here,” I got a kiss.

“Did you finish whatever you were working on?”

“Yes, his system is updated, and he can converse with us online. Did you read the paper?”

“Yes, read the comment section and let me know what you think.”

“What is it about this guy, Bruce Stevens? I heard he was a fantastic basketball player.”

“According to the records, he was, but he used his popularity to take advantage of the girls in high school. Popularity can go both ways, one way is to set an example, and the other is to take advantage by using people. He took the latter.”

“All you hear is how a great player he was.”

“That may change after people read the paper. Are you staying for dinner?”

“What are you having?”

“I don’t know. You’ll have to ask?”

“I’m going home. I have some veggies for you.”

I went with him to put the basket of vegetables in my car. “What’s my mom having for dinner?”

“Pork chops, but she only had four cooking.”

“Here are 10 dollars for the vegetables, and here are 10 dollars for your pizza.” Yep, I got a hug.

“Are you going to stop before you go home?”

“Yes, we’ll see you tomorrow.”

We walked into the house, he said goodbye to everyone, and I saw him eating a piece of pie as he left. Dinner was pork chops.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 17
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Some toxic comments about Bruce, these people should have spoken out sooner and something might have got done.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Some very deserved hatred comments, however what hold did he have over everyone that stopped them from calling him out ,the truth I imagine will never come out , I think that his family are going to receive a backlash from people, his mother and father are definitely guilty by association, they had some influence over him growing up , I think that they will have move before their home gets destroyed by the victims anger , 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Rich writing the article saying this all could've been avoided is very close to victim blaming and that's not cool at all. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hindsight is 20/20...Focus should be on the corruption that allowed this situation to exist, the culture that encouraged victims to stay in the shadows!

I have to hope Tom is getting the help he needs!!!  

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
14 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Some toxic comments about Bruce, these people should have spoken out sooner and something might have got done.

That’s easier said than done.  Remember that Bruce was the Big Man on Campus.  He was the Basketball Star bringing home the State Championships, which brings big bucks into the school system.  To him, he was out to conquer any girl he could see.  The more, the better.  Most often, when a girl, especially one who is not necessarily a highly popular girl, makes this kind of an accusation, the support goes to the Superstar, after all, boys will be boys!  People tend to think that she is simply being vindictive, maybe because he didn’t pay attention to her the way she wanted him to.  Because the girls were embarrassed to have been taken advantage of this way, they didn’t share this with anyone and didn’t realize others were being treated the same way.  If they had known this, they could have banded together and fought together.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

Most often, when a girl, especially one who is not necessarily a highly popular girl, makes this kind of an accusation, the support goes to the Superstar, after all, boys will be boys!  People tend to think that she is simply being vindictive, maybe because he didn’t pay attention to her the way she wanted him to.  Because the girls were embarrassed to have been taken advantage of this way, they didn’t share this with anyone and didn’t realize others were being treated the same way.  If they had known this, they could have banded together and fought together.

Boys will be boys is never an excuse and parents, ie AM's mom, who turned their backs on doing the right thing will have to live with that shame the rest of their lives. Shame on them for not being there when they were needed the most to be an adult in the situation and take action. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
20 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Well Bruce being a star basketball player in a small town is probably another reason he got away with all that crap.You didn't mention any pro-Bruce responses  unless  you count the condolence responses which are still appropriate.

Along with Rich his boss the editor will also have to sign off on doing  the article Tim suggests.The responses to that one would be about 50/50.Anybody who might be offended at being called partly responsible for what happen I'm sure the victims will write and put then in their place. This might be a topic that could span between 2-5 editions worth of comments in the paper

When Tim was reading the comments he noted several stating their condolences to his family, as one would expect from friends and relatives. Tim was interested in the mood of the people, so he concentrated on the negative comments  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Christopher said:

Giving a voice to those voices that were never heard. I wonder if Timothy's suggestion to Rich to write the article, regarding the hatred toward Bruce could've been stopped if someone spoke out, was more subconsciously directed at his mom and his frustration that she didn't say something when it happened. Not sure who in the hell could support someone they knew was a rapist. Shameful. This town is a powder keg about to be lit on fire. 

I'm sure Mom has felt the burn as they say but I would bet she sighed a breath of relief. I don't think she was in favor of Tim issuing that law suit. I'm sure she felt some relief when she heard Bruce was dead.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
17 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Some toxic comments about Bruce, these people should have spoken out sooner and something might have got done.

You are correct but in every town there is a lot of dirt swept under the rug with the intention that that rug is never removed.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 hours ago, mikedup said:

Some very deserved hatred comments, however what hold did he have over everyone that stopped them from calling him out ,the truth I imagine will never come out , I think that his family are going to receive a backlash from people, his mother and father are definitely guilty by association, they had some influence over him growing up , I think that they will have move before their home gets destroyed by the victims anger , 

Yes, they will have to move as well as his wife and her parents.. Although she could claim ignorance.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, JayT said:

Rich writing the article saying this all could've been avoided is very close to victim blaming and that's not cool at all. 

Yes, you are right. I think anyone siding with Bruce is doing just that.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Hindsight is 20/20...Focus should be on the corruption that allowed this situation to exist, the culture that encouraged victims to stay in the shadows!

I have to hope Tom is getting the help he needs!!!  

Tim has plans for Tom once Tom finishes teaching this term. I expect Alex to advise Tim

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

That’s easier said than done.  Remember that Bruce was the Big Man on Campus.  He was the Basketball Star bringing home the State Championships, which brings big bucks into the school system.  To him, he was out to conquer any girl he could see.  The more, the better.  Most often, when a girl, especially one who is not necessarily a highly popular girl, makes this kind of an accusation, the support goes to the Superstar, after all, boys will be boys!  People tend to think that she is simply being vindictive, maybe because he didn’t pay attention to her the way she wanted him to.  Because the girls were embarrassed to have been taken advantage of this way, they didn’t share this with anyone and didn’t realize others were being treated the same way.  If they had known this, they could have banded together and fought together.

Nor did they have a friend like Mary Jo who put Bruce in his place. of course that led Bruce to the rape of Ann Marie thinking it was May Jo.  I think the girls were ashamed and that is why they didn't band together

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Boys will be boys is never an excuse and parents, ie AM's mom, who turned their backs on doing the right thing will have to live with that shame the rest of their lives. Shame on them for not being there when they were needed the most to be an adult in the situation and take action. 

I believe that someone on staff knew what was going on and ignored it. For what reason, I don't know unless that basketball trophy meant so much they were willing to ignore it.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment

I seem to be always playing catchup but hell I'm working every hour under the sun at the moment and never get chance to read. Always wanted to live by the sea, but now I never get chance to see it as always in the store.🤬

Let him rest, but learn from what he did... Move on and get a life!!! Tim is right had something been done at the time then this could have all been avoided... Again it all boils down to people like mum, who were to scared of the consequences to take any action.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Christopher said:

Boys will be boys is never an excuse and parents, ie AM's mom, who turned their backs on doing the right thing will have to live with that shame the rest of their lives. Shame on them for not being there when they were needed the most to be an adult in the situation and take action. 

No, I’m not giving him an excuse.  Far from it.  I think what Bruce did in the past and now is reprehensible.  But it’s a pass people have given in the past to skip over the wrongdoings that boys have done.  I’m NOT saying it is right.  It is WRONG.  Bruce should have been brought to face those he abused in the past (and even up to today).  He cheated them again by committing suicide.  He cheated them in the past by robbing them of a peaceful existence and he cheated them now of giving them justice for the evil he committed on them.  “Boys will be boys” is just an easy excuse to ignore the true, underlying problem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Nor did they have a friend like Mary Jo who put Bruce in his place. of course that led Bruce to the rape of Ann Marie thinking it was May Jo.  I think the girls were ashamed and that is why they didn't band together

I can guarantee the girls were embarrassed!  No one likes to admit they were taken advantage of at any age, but teenagers are highly sensitive to criticism because they are trying so hard to grow up.  It is extremely difficult to admit to having made this kind of error because they haven’t realized the support they would actually receive from family and friends.  It’s likely, though, if they DID tell their parents, the decision may have been the same as Mom with AM, with everyone realizing how things would likely go down due to Brucie’s status.

I hope this makes sense.  I just woke up!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..