Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 696 Words
  • 1,770 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy - 33. Chapter 33

Wednesday morning, Stephen drove me to the airport. The commuter plane left on time. Arriving, I took a cab to the lawyer’s office. I was early, so I stopped at a cafe for a cup of coffee. I had an orange juice with a bagel instead.

My appointment was at 10:30 am. I took my time at the cafe. At 10:15, I entered the office and told the receptionist my name, and I had an appointment with Mr. Morris. I gave her my card. I waited 25 minutes before the receptionist said Mr. Morris would see me now.

Walking into his office, I noticed that it was quite elaborate. I got the impression it was more for show. If he was Ann Marie’s husband’s lawyer, maybe this office decor guaranteed him a high-paying clientele. It reminded me of the good old boy attitude where people are more impressed by gadgetry than knowledge.

“Mr. Morris, I don’t wish to take up your time, so I’ll get to the point. You drew up a pre-nuptial agreement between Ann Marie Walkins and George Struthers. When you did that, were you aware they were already married?”

“No, the question never came up. George called me and asked I draw up an agreement.”

“Do you have a copy of that agreement?”

I waited while he asked his secretary to bring in the Struthers file. “Do you mind me asking why the interest in this agreement?”

“Mrs. Struthers is my sister. I reviewed her paperwork and noticed that the prenup was dated after her marriage. This would nullify the prenup and permit her to go after the Struthers estate as the wife of Mr. Struthers and exercise her rights to his estate.”

His secretary brought in the file he requested. I watched as he looked through the file. “I don’t have a copy of their marriage license.”

I opened my briefcase and gave him a notarized copy of the marriage certificate. I waited while he looked the document over. “If this is correct, then the prenup is voided.”

“You may keep that marriage document for your files. You can reach Mrs. Struthers at this address. I would appreciate you advising her on what action she should take. I believe she will ask you to represent her. Thank you for your time, but I must leave. I have a plane to catch.”

Saying goodbye to the receptionist, I walked outside to catch a cab to the airport.

While I waited, I called Stephen, briefed him on my conversation with the lawyer, and told him what time I’d be landing.

“Let’s have lunch at home, and then we can go to the plant. I’ll update you on what I think will happen then we can send an email to Randy. I’ll ask him to give a copy to Dad.”

“I hope you will bill her for all of this.”

“I will and remind her of the previous bill.”

“Do you think she will pay it?”

“No, but as soon as she is settled, I’ll go after her. Probably end up in court.”

We arrived at the plant at 2:30, Stephen headed to Gramps’s office, and I headed to my office. Gramps wanted to reopen the one case they lost. I would have to appeal the first verdict, and I had six months to do it. I needed to review the questions and responses, looking for a reason to request a new court date. I noticed that Andrew introduced a presentation of the two circuit boards. They appeared to be identical. I needed Stephen’s opinion.

Walking home after work, “Stephen, I have a project for you. I have the files from that one legal case Gramps lost. I’m going to reopen that case. I need to show cause for reopening the case. For that, I need your opinion. I need you to look at the two circuit boards and find a difference.

“If you do that and win, Gramps will be very proud of you. I’ll help you all I can.”

I knew if there were differences, even a tiny difference, which could have been easily overlooked, Stephen would find it.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 13
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Go get'm Timothy! The prenuptial perplexes me - especially the attorney's answer of not knowing they were married at the time he drew up the prenuptial. Either it was a case of human error - having a great trust in his client - or he's just inept as an attorney not to verify all the facts ... like getting a copy of the marriage license. Of course, the client could've lied and said there wasn't one because they weren't married. Timothy is proving to be a very astute attorney at his young age. Together, with the expertise of Stephen, I'm confident he'll reverse the court decision and make gramps very very proud. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
22 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Hopefully Ańn Marie will get her money and leave, thanks to Tim.

If there's a way to win that case Tim and Stephen will find it.

I think it will be a pretty open and shut case. Tim has copies of the documents 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
22 hours ago, weinerdog said:

All the readers here had adequately  pointed out Ann Marie many faults lets add being a ditz as another.What part of pre in the word prenuptial did the person with the college degree not understand?

A wise man once told me a college degree only shows where you were not what level of intelligence you have. College for her wasn't't for studying to obtain a degree that would provide a job, but to obtain a degree to provide a rich husband.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
21 hours ago, mikedup said:

Wow having to physically to see the lawyer was a bit of an expense ,however I hope that ,that lawyer does what is right and gets off his butt to sort out the mess , plus I hope he does it soon to get his entitled sister to get out of the house where she is not welcome,I hope Stephen will find the differences , the 2 of them are definitely leading interesting lives 

I wasn't impressed with this lawyer. A office that was elaborately decorated tells me he uses his office to impress because he is low on his legal skills. I don't think this is over.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

An important issue may have been inadvertently overlooked. Lawyer Morris drew up the Pre-Nup at the request of George Struthers, (Ann-Marie's late husband),  - who , if not before drawing up the Pre-Nup,  became a client of Mr. Morris ergo Attorney-Client Privilege takes precedent*. Mr. Morris is prevented, by law, from disclosing any information about George Struthers without the client's permission, even if the client is dead.* Doing so could have him disbarred. Don't forget we're told George has children (heirs) from a previous marriage.

What else is a play here? If Morris is Executor of George's Last Will, he/his firm stands to receive upwards of 5% of the Estate in Executor Fees.

Hmm, the ⚖️ plot thickens.

However, if they author exercises 'Artistic or Literary license'  the story can deviate from fact, to suit the purposes of the story. 

Ps: I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one in print or media. But (and CL will appreciate this, there was a TV shows called Dragnet, where a Set often said, "Just the facts") :whistle:

(Ain't I a little stinker). 

 

* Lawyers may not reveal oral or written communications with clients that clients reasonably expect to remain private. A lawyer who has received a client's confidences cannot repeat them to anyone outside the legal team without the client's consent. The privilege is the client's, not the lawyer's—the client can decide to forfeit (waive) the privilege, but the lawyer cannot.

The privilege generally stays in effect even after the attorney-client relationship ends, and even after the client dies. In other words, the lawyer can never divulge the client's secrets without the client's permission ©️ NOLO

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..