Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 807 Words
  • 2,046 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 135. Chapter 135

“Jane, are you still traveling each day?”

“Yes, I don’t mind. It only takes me 35 minutes on a good day.”

“Would you like to have a small apartment here? James is insisting that I have suffered enough and need to occupy a staff apartment.”

I saw the smile as she put two and two together. I just handed her the keys. I had James change out the mattress for her.

Walking back to my office, James handed me a pack of letters to be answered. By now, I had developed a form response, and all I needed to do was to add some personal comments and any photos I may have.

“Doc, we need to increase the number of Knights. The Squires have been serving for six weeks now.”

“Okay, pick the day, and we should do it at dinner.” I have always enjoyed this part of my duties.

I didn’t go to the cabin this weekend. I needed to think about trophies for the boys. We didn’t compete with other schools, but we could compete among ourselves, which required a winner’s trophy. Billy suggested a gold medal as they have for the Olympics. I thought that might be a good idea. “Billy, since this is your idea, why don’t you make a presentation to the Knights.”

Billy had returned to his University to finish his studies. I never understood that Billy didn’t get full credit for his studies at the College, even though the instructors were from his University and would have taught him those courses there.

With Dad’s help, Billy made three demo medals, one gold, one silver, and one bronze, precisely like those given to the winners at the Olympics, only these had the head of a horse on one side and crossed swords on the other side.

I liked them, so did Marie and James. I commissioned several, I hadn’t thought about all of the games, but I knew swimming and running would be on the list.

At supper, when all of the boys were sitting, “I was thinking of having Olympic games here. We don’t compete with other schools, but we could compete among ourselves. What do you think?”

I just sat back and listened. Gerry stood up, “Father, that would be a good idea, but not all of us are athletic. Is there some way we all could have the opportunity to earn a medal?”

“I’m not sure. Maybe you all can do some research about how other schools recognize their students for a special achievement.” One I was thinking of would be for music and art. I’ll need a different design, but that wasn’t a problem.

It was two weeks later when my sons came to see me. “Father, we have researched the net looking for other awards. We have a list to start. We can give an award for music and art. Professor Atler suggested academic achievement based on grades, participation, and out-of-the-classroom academic studies.”

“Do you see the difference between what you propose and the Olympic games? The games are designed to recognize proficiency in a sport. The awards you mention are subjective. How can we be sure that those who get the rewards are truly deserving? There isn’t a finishing line to cross like there are in sports.”

“Could we have a panel to judge and a sponsor to make the recommendation?”

“May I have time to think about that?”

“Sure, Father”

“I don’t want to give a medal to who drinks the most beer at the Pub.”

The boys laughed. I gave each one a hug and a kiss on their cheeks. I knew James was listening, “What do you think, James?”

“I don’t think we should do it. Everything we have done so far has been applied to all of them. Now we are starting to recognize differences. I wouldn’t do that. Sports seem so easy to highlight because when someone wins at sports, it is clear to all, academic achievements are too subjective. That’s my opinion.”

“We are limited to what we can offer in sports.”

“You can offer a miniature Olympics. Combine winter and summer games and see what you can come up with.”

It was late at night when I was drinking a cup of coffee in our rooms, “Adam, what’s the matter.”

“I wanted to award the boys a medal for sports achievements. But I’m limited on the type of sports. I asked the boys to think about it, and they mentioned some achievements in liberal arts. James said that would be too objective.”

“Why don’t you look at the games and see what you can use? Go and check the library, Professor.”

“Maybe that isn’t a bad suggestion. We could have a kissing contest, and you could be the judge.”

“That’s easy. Evan would be the winner."

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 16
  • Haha 10
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow Adam struggling on something, that's very unusual. At least he has James and Marie to help him sort his problems.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Wow Adam struggling on something, that's very unusual. At least he has James and Marie to help him sort his problems.

The imperfection of man. Adam's desire to build on the Olympics is natural for him. He needed to recognize for the Academy it isn't possible. James and Marie will help him

  • Like 5
Link to comment

James has great insight, "so far everything has been applied to them all." To begin recognizing differences may start a fissure in the solidness of the boys. Like Adam, this would cause me to ponder as well. I know Adam & Co will do the right thing though, they always do :) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

A very interesting problem Adam is sitting with, I think that he could have a monopoly,card etc competition, similar to the games they play at the cabin

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

James has great insight, "so far everything has been applied to them all." To begin recognizing differences may start a fissure in the solidness of the boys. Like Adam, this would cause me to ponder as well. I know Adam & Co will do the right thing though, they always do :) 

I can understand Adam's desire for a mini Olympics at the Academy.  After thinking it over with comments from those who have his best interest at heart, he will forgo this project.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, mikedup said:

A very interesting problem Adam is sitting with, I think that he could have a monopoly,card etc competition, similar to the games they play at the cabin

I think Adam was thinking more along the line of a mini-Olympics.  Not possible with these boys.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Interesting... Tell Marie as I want to take part, I'm sure that a Brit would win the kissing contest hands down.:devil: (but it would have to be kissing Adam!)

Interesting concept with the games... It will be interesting to see what Adam comes up with after his littler foray into the library.

Still loving the story ... more every day :thankyou:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Kev said:

Interesting... Tell Marie as I want to take part, I'm sure that a Brit would win the kissing contest hands down.:devil: (but it would have to be kissing Adam!)

Interesting concept with the games... It will be interesting to see what Adam comes up with after his littler foray into the library.

Still loving the story ... more every day :thankyou:

Adam's foray to the library yielded nothing.  He has given up on the idea.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..