Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 864 Words
  • 2,732 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 68. Chapter 68

The next morning after my run, shower, and dressed, I headed to the basement. I wanted to see what was in that room. I couldn’t find a light switch. I caught one of the janitors as he was putting his mop and bucket away. “Do you have a flashlight I can borrow for a minute?”

He had one in his toolbox, “I think this will be ok. Are you going to look in that room?”

“Yes, you want to see as well?”

He didn’t see anything, he turned his flashlight on and I followed. We walked through the hall until we came to an electrical switch box. “I think this is the power box.” He opened the box and read the tags, “This one should be it.”

When he threw the switch I couldn’t believe what the room held. One side had a swimming pool and the other side had a basketball court. “Why did they close this off? The students would love this.”

I walked to the other area, and I flipped the light switch, it was a change room. At the ends of the room were showers. The numbers on the lockers indicated that the room could handle 300 students. I was confused why did they close this area off. I thanked the guy and told him to leave the master switch on.

 

“Where were you?”

“In the gym”

“What gym? There isn’t one here.”

“There is now. That area has a basketball court, a swimming pool, and lockers enough for 300 boys.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Clean it and then hire a gym teacher.”

 

I called Henry. “Henry, Adam... Yes, it’s going fine…No, I’m President of the school…Yes, but I need your help, I need a computer expert to teach computer science, Do you have anyone who wants to work with boys?… Yes, send them I’ll cover their expenses for the interview. I also need a gym instructor. I have a basketball court and a pool. I think I may have room for some physical fitness…. Hey, in for dollar in for a pound. …Yes, I’ll pay for it all, but don’t let it get around…. Great, let me know when I can expect them. How is everything else going,… good, you should come up and see this place. You can stay with me at my cabin …Ok, rent a big car and you all come up. Thanks, Henry.”,

“Who was that?”

“He was my professor at my university and a very good friend. The school now prepares teachers with my methods. So anyone he sends will be compatible.”

“Are you going to tell the Knights?”

“No, you are, Lord James. I thought Abel was supposed to see me where is he?”

“I’ll find him, he's a little shy but I think he’s scared of the big man.”

 

I can’t wait until the boys find out. This is getting to be a better school all the time. I walked to see how the mural was coming along. I was surprised it was finished. I checked and it was signed. I stop for a cup of coffee and took it back to my office. Sitting on my two-seater, was Able. “Come with me.”

“Come on this side of the desk. Look, in early England, there were no cafeterias, they were called Dining Halls. What I would like for you to do, is get some wood, and paint Dining Hall on it. We will hang it so. Now King Arthur had a shield, with three lions on it. Look, this is the type of lion used on shields.”

“Where can I get that distressed lumber”

“If you knew a farmer who had some old wood, if not then get some new wood and stress it. Check with Mr. Rusello for help. Ok? Why didn’t you come to see me yesterday? Able, you don’t have to be afraid of me. Can you be my friend like the other boys here?”

“Yes, why did you pay me so much money for the Oath. My mom said I had to give it back. I have it here.”

“No, you did an excellent job on that Oath and, if someone outside of the school asked you to do that, you could have charged 500 dollars. Now you keep that, you earned it and the wages you get for kitchen work is for kitchen work. Tell your mom I was upset that you tried to give the money back to me also tell her I’m going to make sure you become a famous painter.”

I grabbed him and hugged him. “Thanks”

He left, “I heard that”

“And”

I think you’re a great guy”

“I think you are also. How may kids have headed downstairs?”

“Probably all of them, good thing the pool is empty. Has Mr. Rusello move yet?”

“I’m not sure, can you check on that, Also we need to move the table from the Staff Dining area to that room. Chairs as well, I want bookcases for one of the walls, but not high ones, try and get a catalog and we can select the ones we want.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 19
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Chris L said:

Holy toledo Batman, we got a pool AND a basketball court. No telling what else lies deeper in that cavernous space. Probably a workout room of some sort tucked far back in amongst all of that. LOL!!! One can only imagine the feeling as each boy takes in the sight of the new pool, the basketball court, something they've longed for, and was always there, but is now there for them to use in the very near future. Poof, there it is! LOL!!! Thank gawd for blueprints! 

yes, and not only blue prints but an inquisitive person. Those walls raised a suspicious mind. There being walls there didn't feel right.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

One has to wonder if the former staff had a Den of Inequity!!!

No, they didn't have one they were the den of inequity. I don't know the back ground of the previous staff. Obviously that had the credentials to do their specific skill, but somewhere along the line they sign a devil's pact.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Why would the school seal off all of these things? The old administration was surely cuckoo... do what I want and control the boy's freedom to develop and grow. The more I read the more I hate Arlene and her crony's. I reckon the modern day King. Lord Adam will develop these kids so that the world is a better place because of them when they become the leaders of the world. Loving it !!!!:2thumbs:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A pool requires constant maintenance, a water supply, filters and circulating pumps, perhaps heaters as well….probably considered an additional and un-needed expense by the Trustees, an expense that would cut into their profits. While the basketball court might not need all that much support, the two facilities would still require the hiring of a supervisor, and life-guards — once again, an un-needed expense. There is an old, old rule in criminal investigation that is appropriate here: "Just follow the money." I believe that the school might have a strong legal case against the trustees, if Adam wanted to file it. But even if they went to court and won the case, the only return would be fines against the Trustees and who is to say where did the money go? Putting people in jail would not do the school any good, would it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

A pool requires constant maintenance, a water supply, filters and circulating pumps, perhaps heaters as well….probably considered an additional and un-needed expense by the Trustees, an expense that would cut into their profits. While the basketball court might not need all that much support, the two facilities would still require the hiring of a supervisor, and life-guards — once again, an un-needed expense. There is an old, old rule in criminal investigation that is appropriate here: "Just follow the money." I believe that the school might have a strong legal case against the trustees, if Adam wanted to file it. But even if they went to court and won the case, the only return would be fines against the Trustees and who is to say where did the money go? Putting people in jail would not do the school any good, would it?

The old regime pretended to have staff, water bills, inflated laundry bills. all to pass more money into their coffers. The whole past regime. supported by the Trustees, were on a program of robbing the Academy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Good grief what else is Adam going to find in the school? There are a lot of questions as to why this gym was closed up, the old school president has a lot to answer for. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..