Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,372 Words
  • 2,055 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 69. Chapter 69

That weekend driving home, I had an exciting week. The visitors, the pool, the basketball court, and the discovery of Able. I know under the tutoring of Angelo he’ll be a great artist.

When I pulled into the cabin’s driveway, the place was dark. It seems this week I’ll be by myself.

I took my bag inside and opened the fridge for some orange juice. I put the dirty clothes in the washer and started the washer. I took off my shoes and started the coffee. I wanted to layout some projects for the week, I expect to start getting bids. When the coffee was done I poured myself a cup, then looked for something to eat. The fridge was a little empty and the freezer not much help. There were eggs, so I hard-boiled some. This will have to do.

When the eggs were done, I had my second cup of coffee. I read a report that I was going to send to the trustees on Monday. I decided I wouldn’t mention the pool and basketball court. I wanted to see where this will lead. I was eating an egg, with one hand and editing with the other hand. There was someone behind me, I could smell her perfume, “Could you hand me the pepper please.” She started to laugh and I laughed as well.

I pulled her into my lap and I got a kiss, so I had to give her one back. “Where is everyone although it’s nice to be alone?”

“Your mom said that your dad was going with Bill. Billy has some trials or something. They’ll be up Sunday.”

I was thinking what trials. It isn’t Olympic trials, it’s too early. “Did mom say what trials, it’s too early for Olympic trials?”

“No, she didn’t.”

“I wish I could show you some of the school and boys, I’m so proud of them. ”

“Will you be proud of our children?”

“No, I’ll just love them to pieces .”

“What is that?”

A weekly report to the trustees. I’m fighting them, I found a cupboard that was loaded with expensive wine, scotch, and a freezer full of seafood and beef. The food went to the cafeteria. I wanted to auction off the alcohol. The trustees want it all. James rounded up the army and they contacted headquarters. I was visited by two very important people, they decided I could go ahead with my auction. Now, something else is up and I’m not sure. Here read this.”

“This is good.”

“I think so too. You know for wife material here I sit starving and no dinner. If my mom knew this, she might have second thoughts about you.”

She laughed, went to the oven, took out some cold ham, and potato salad. “I came over early and put this here for you, husband dear.”

I paid with a kiss.

We sat on the sofa, “I have been checking the school against the architect's drawings. So far a found a room with a view of the gardens, I walked into the room last week and Angelo was crying.”

“Who is Angelo”

“Angelo Rusello, my artistic genius. He was standing in the room crying. I asked him what was the matter, I thought he was in pain. He said the room was exactly like the one in his home where he grew up. He said there was a piano there and when his mother would play, he would lay right there and draw. I convinced him to paint that scene on the wall in that room. He finished today. Marie, it’s beautiful. He wouldn’t sign it, he said he didn’t have to because that is him right there. My guests today marveled at the painting, they knew his work.”

“I love you, you have some beautiful stories, They balance my work”

“Not all of my stories are beautiful and if you saw my rooms you would understand that. They wanted to see my rooms and then I had to show them the rooms of the directors and the staff. Mine was located on the top floor of the tower. I know that they were hoping I would put up a fuss and then resign. I have the smallest office, McMillan’s outer office is bigger than mine.”

“But you are succeeding.”

“Yes, and you know why, James said it’s my army.”

“What army?”

“The boys, they keep their family up to date almost daily. So it’s easy for me, James leaks the problem, the boys' phone home and tell everyone what’s happening, ergo my army.”

“Why didn’t they do that before?”

“I think they thought it was normal. It wasn’t until I came and things began to change, then they realize that school wasn’t to be like that. But Marie they are great boys. I’m learning with them. I want 12 children, I’m serving notice .”

“Then you better get a harem.”

“That would work. I’m having a Renaissance Fair at the end of the school year. Know what I want to do? I want to have a joust. Think about that, my Knights having a joust. They will love it.”

“You’re going to spoil our children.”

“Only with love”

I was adamant about not sleeping together until we were married. It’s a special time and needs to be remembered for a special reason. It only happens once, so why rush. Sometimes I think my sex drive is non-existent, I was never horny in high school or college. Well, we shall see in the fall.”

I walked Marie to her boat, thanked her for dinner, the kiss lasted a long time. She chuckled as she got in her boat, I watched until she got on her porch and waved at me.

Saturday, I ran a good long run. I wasn’t sure where I was going but I just kept running. It turned out I ran around the North end of the lake and I was behind Marie’s house. George saw me in the window, came out, and asked how I got there. I told him I started to run and kept going, I must have run around the northern part of the lake. He asked me if I wanted orange juice or coffee. I took a small glass of orange juice. “Thanks, George.”

I ran on and around the bottom of the lake, I realized I had run around the whole lake. Cooldowns were important now, I took my time and jogged along the road leading to the cabin. Soon I was feeling better, so I stopped and did some cool-down exercise finishing off with a swim in the lake.

After a hot shower and dressing comfortably, I drove to town. I stopped at the little store and bought some groceries for today, then went to the clinic. They knew who I was now. “She has a patient now.”

I sat down and started to read a magazine, they must get them free, they are all out of date. I thought about the joust. If we could get two merry-go-round horses, put them on wheels, then build a track we could have a joust. If I put a pulley on them and then someone would have to pull them. Protective equipment, helmets with plastic face covers. plastic shirts. For javelins, I could use foam with a colored tip. I’ll see what James’s friend says. I need to start this now. School will be over in 3 1/2 months.”

“A penny for your thoughts”

“I was thinking about the school fair.”

“I’m finished here unless there’s an accident. Did you have breakfast?”

“Just a glass of orange juice your dad gave me. I came to do some shopping.”

I drove her home, we’ll get her car later. She made breakfast, I put the perishable in her fridge.

“I assume you ran today?”

“Yep, all around the lake today”

The weekend went fast but it was extremely relaxing. Mom and Dad drove in late Saturday night I was in bed. I went and turned on the light for them, “I’m going back to bed, we’ll talk in the morning.”

The next morning, I was woken by a young man shaking my bed. “Get up sleepy head, we have to run.”

Was I dreaming, I remember mom and dad arriving but that was all. Opening one eye expecting to find no one, there was Billy smiling.

“What are you doing here? I didn’t see you last night, when did you arrive?”

“I was following your dad until I had to stop for gas. I arrived about a half-hour after him.”

“It's good to see you “hugging him. “Ready for warm-ups? Let me get dressed and I’ll meet you downstairs.” Another hug.

Billy was a surprise, I didn’t realize how much I missed him. Dressed for running, he handed me a glass of orange juice and we headed outside for our warm-up. We ran the trail and I started around the lake until I came to Marie’s place, we turned and ran back. A cool-down run followed by my cool-down exercises and we were ready for the day. I told Billy to get his shower while I started the coffee.

“It’s yours” I took my shower and headed to my room to get dressed.

Walking into the kitchen, I was handed a cup of coffee and a smile. Actually, the kiss that followed was better. “Did we wake you this morning when Billy yelled at you?”

“No, I was up. I dressed and then boated over. Billy said you were getting dressed.”

“You know I could get used to this real easy. Normally I’d have to pour my coffee.” That got me a hit on the arm, but the pout disappeared with the following kiss.

Billy told us about his trials while Marie and mom made breakfast. “Billy, what trials were these, it is too early for Olympic trials?”

“They were regionals followed by State trials. I thought it was a normal competition but it turns out that the winners get a full college scholarship. I was offered a scholarship to Dad’s college. I took it and Dad is over the hill about it.”

“Billy, I’m so proud of you. The college will make sure you try out for the Olympics.”

“But you’re still my coach, right?”

“Yes, I’ll be there.”

Breakfast was fun, family breakfasts were always fun for me. I told dad about the visit, showed him the Ambassador’s letter, everyone else had to see it. Dad asked about when I was going to issue the annual report, we talked about that. Mom, Billy, and Marie didn’t say a word while Dad and I talked.

Billy said he had to leave, he had an important date he couldn’t miss. Whispering in my ear, “If we can’t make a double date maybe we could make a double wedding.” After he left Mom told me he has been dating a lovely girl.

Dad and I took a cup of coffee and went out on the porch, “I have a payroll clerk, that is doing fine, but I’m doing all of the authorizations for accounts payables. I need another clerk and then someone to overlook and be there when questions arise. Any ideas?”

“If you could hire someone, we’ll train them. I could send Brad up to do that. What you need is a purchasing agent to negotiate contracts and prices, then your staff can order against those contracts. It would be easier and cheaper.”

“How can I prevent a repeat? I don’t want to go house cleaning again.”

“Make sure you countersign any contracts. Then spot-check invoices against receipts. We will do occasional audits and when we do, will catch anything out of line. What are your biggest purchases?”

“Probably food, supplies for the staff are minimal, like once a year stocking of paper, etc. Books are bought when new editions have been read and approved by staff.”

“Then you don’t need a full-time purchasing manager. I’ll send one of my people to negotiate food suppliers for you.”

“What do you think of the Ambassador’s letter?”

“I think you have a very strong ally. He seems to like what you are doing and he supports you. Wasn’t his son about to be asked to leave, seems to me you mentioned that one time when we were talking.”

“Yes, and his son is one of my most dedicated admirers. I think James calls him the general of my army. If any country had an army as I do, there would never be a war. Those students will do anything for me, if they perceive I have a problem with the trustees, they go into action. The visit that led to that note, they were in full battle mode. My guests were impressed and I think even the Ambassador was impressed.”

“What do you know about the Ambassador?”

“Not much, I don't know much about any of the students' families. I know one is the son of Lady Elgin but I’m not sure I know who she is and what I do know is through my understanding of titles. One of my boys has a very interesting guardian, that I have met and even he seems to be more than a routine guardian. I’m not interested in who’s who. I am interested in my students.”

“I believe you’re focusing in the right direction.”

“I don’t think I mentioned I opened the door to the other section of the basement. There is a swimming pool, a basketball court, and lockers for 300 kids with showers. Why would they want to block that off? Exercise is good for the boys, it’s a good balance to their classes. I called Henry and asked him if he had any teachers for a sports program.”

“That would be a good idea, you have a track for runners and there are other outside activities. I guess the position will report to Coach Jasper.”

“Yes, that would be appropriate, although I’m not sure if he knows about the new area.”

Come on husband to be, we need to fish for supper.” Dad smiled as we left to get rods and head to the boats.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

8 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Adam and his Army are ready to do battle with the trustees 

Yes and for some reason, I think they will succeed 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Bft

Posted (edited)

On 6/14/2021 at 12:08 AM, Kev said:

You know it's strange, but outdated magazines are one thing that I miss now that covid has removed them from everywhere. Dentist surgery, sit (2 metres apart), doctors (sit (2 metres apart) and only when your appointment is and not before... such little things make all the difference to life. Renaissance fair sounds such fun, I'm getting jealous here... Can I have an invite??? I'' be good... honest I will boss.0:)🤭 

The dental surgery up the road from me makes their patients wait outside on the footpath, it doesn’t matter what the weather is doing. I am pleased that I am not one of their patients, at least in the dental surgery that I go to we can still sit inside, the doctor surgery does everything via e appointment over phone call and if it’s necessary or urgent you will get an appointment. 

Edited by Bft
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm glad to see Billy again.  I miss him.  He's part of the heart of the story, I guess I'm missing the heart.  Did he just drive 4 hours at night to go running with Adam in the morning, and then drive that same 4 hours again back home after the run?    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..