Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 697 Words
  • 1,551 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 169. Chapter 169

Time flies and certain events remind us of that. For me, there were two events, the fair at the end of the season and the enrollment at the beginning of the season. The pain in my back and the need for bigger clothes also reminded me that I was getting old. Marie and I talked about retirement. I wasn’t ready to retire, but Marie changed my mind.

“Adam, I’m ready to retire. I’ve worked hard, and now I think I need some me time, and so do you. We can retire to the cabin, and you’ll see the boys and girls like always on the weekends. We can come back for the fair and the start of the new year. Morgan will keep you informed. I’m sure you’ll be his confidant as Richard was for you.”

I was 78 when she made that proposal. Mom and Dad had passed on, Billy was a successful engineer, Scotty was a successful coach after playing pro ball, and Buster followed in Scotty’s footsteps, now playing pro ball.

I began to think why not when Jen called and said that Bill was in the hospital with a heart attack and asking for me. I think that was the light that made me decide this would be my last season as head of the schools.

We took the copter to see Bill. Jen said the doctors think there isn’t anything they could do. The attack was massive. I stayed with them until the doctors told us Bill had died. That was a terrible blow for me. Something I never expected to happen, not to my brother Bill. But I took it as a sign to retire and enjoy what time I had left.

At the next meeting of the Board, I announced that I would be retiring at the end of the season and Morgan would take over as headmaster. “Dad, you may retire as headmaster, but not from the Board.”

So I’d stay on as a Board member, Marie agreed to that.

They say disaster strikes in three. First, I lost Richard, then Bill, but the third devastated me. Marie told me she didn’t have long to live. She has cancer that can’t be treated, and at best, she has 2 to 3 years left. That tore me up. I couldn’t see my life without her. She was my partner, my one and only. I prayed for her to be cured, but it didn’t happen.

I was 80 when she turned the worst. “Adam, grant me a wish. I want to be buried here on the apple hill, overlooking the cabins and lake.”

I had Henry’s firm come and build a structure to house two coffins; It was partly sunk in the ground, lined with concrete, and made watertight. I would lie next to her as I did in life I’ll do in death.

As she became more dependent, I hired around-the-clock nurses. I’d do as she wished. She wanted her last views to be of the lake. I carried her to a bed I had on the cabin’s porch so she could see the lake and the boys fishing. She smiled, closed her eyes, and left me in a heavy sigh. I cried like I never cried before. The boys saw me and came right away. "Call this number and the clinic doctor."

Marie’s visitation was at the chapel at the school. She had many friends, and they came to pay their respect. Her interment was on the hill. I sat there every day for several months, waiting to join her. One night Dad came to me with Richard and told me I must live a little longer. Marie was there and said the children would need me, so I must live until my time.

From that night on, I made a vow, I’ll never leave the cabin, I’ll visit her every day, and there will always be fresh flowers, the kind she liked. Richard moved the Directors meeting to the cabin, and the boys came with their families. I was surrounded by love. Richard said the love you gave never went away, and it’s now coming back.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 9
  • Sad 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMG, that's a hell of a way to start the morning - everyone dying! Whether we're ready for it or not, it's going to happen to all of us and even Adam. Such a beautiful story of ones life that embraced everyone and shared love immensely. We all have the ability to love and can give love freely. What we don't have control of is how that love is received or returned to us. That is our gift of life. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Oh my goodness I have not cried over a chapter like this before, it was a really sad and emotional one , but such is life, and thanks for such a great story

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

What a sad chapter. I'm glad Adam retired and had the last few years of Marie's life at the cabin.

Adam was devoted to Marie. She was more than a wife and mother, she was Adam's sounding board.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, drsawzall said:

How true!

 Richard said the love you gave never went away, and it’s now coming back.

I read somewhere. love given is love returned. Not sure where I read that, but it is true.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Chris L said:

OMG, that's a hell of a way to start the morning - everyone dying! Whether we're ready for it or not, it's going to happen to all of us and even Adam. Such a beautiful story of ones life that embraced everyone and shared love immensely. We all have the ability to love and can give love freely. What we don't have control of is how that love is received or returned to us. That is our gift of life. 

You are a wise man if you truly believe that. Love is magic, it costs nothing but it will bring the world to you. It opens vistas that you can't believe. When it comes back to you, usually 10 fold, you discover a new world and a great new friends.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Oh my goodness I have not cried over a chapter like this before, it was a really sad and emotional one , but such is life, and thanks for such a great story

You are welcome. I never realized the way this story has been received. Do not be ashamed of crying, I tear up every time I read this chapter as well and I have read it often.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I hate it when someone makes me cry... I'm  sobbing my heart out here. Wow! What a wonderful chapter, sad but wonderful. I'll  always be here for Adam, as long as he needs me... what happened to little Adam and Marie?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, James Deary said:

A Very sad chapter , brought a tear to my eye .

Yes it was hard on Adam to see Marie go, but that is life. She was a part of Adam and it is harder to see a part of yourself leave you behind.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Kev said:

I hate it when someone makes me cry... I'm  sobbing my heart out here. Wow! What a wonderful chapter, sad but wonderful. I'll  always be here for Adam, as long as he needs me... what happened to little Adam and Marie?

They as well as the brothers mourned the loss of their mother. Adam has looked to them to help him through these tough times

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..