Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,667 Words
  • 2,760 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 62. Chapter 62

“The next morning, I asked James how his project went. “You wouldn’t believe what we uncovered after we removed the freezer food and the packaged food. There were bottles of expensive whiskey hidden behind the wines. I don’t know how they could find anything.”

“I’ll bet one of them was the master of the panty, he’d know where everything was stored.”

“Do you think that food was used in the Staff Dining Room?”

“That’s a possibility, the old chef cooked for them and maybe he was the one who knew where everything was located.”

“So how do we start this auction?”

“First I’ll let the trustees know, they will probably want me to send it to them. Then a few days after that, we’ll send a letter to all of the students' parents or guardians, with a list and asking for a one-time written bid.”

“Are you going to auction by bottle or case?”

“That’s a good question. What if we auction by the bottle, the winner will have the right to buy additional bottles at that price. If there are any left, we will go to the second bidder and make the same offer.”

“What will you do with the money?”

“Provided I get approval, scholarship money.”

I spent the rest of the morning, sending information as to what we found to the trustees. I told them about the auction and that I wanted to start a scholarship fund for deserving boys. James typed it, I signed it, it was posted.

“You want these other letters to go out two days from now.”

“No, I think I better wait until I hear a response. I may have to fight a little.”

At dinner, we had a raffle to determine which four boys would clean the supply room. I told them they would earn coins depending on the quality of the job.

Each boy was given a small slip of paper, told to write his name, put it into the hat. I had one of the teachers come and pull out 4 names. I congratulated the boys and told them after supper, James would show them the supply room. Most of the boys knew as they were sent by the teachers for supplies and that might have been the reason the room looked like it did. We agreed they would start on the coming Saturday.”

 

I received a call from Marie, she thinks she found my Medical doctor. I asked her to set up an interview, at the school for the following Monday. “Yes, I’ll be at the cabin this week.”

I thought about this weekend. I had purchased a diamond ring in town. The list price was beyond real, but I guess after what we had done with a few of the merchants who supplied the school, he gave me a reasonable price.

The rest of the week was normal, as normal as can be. I remind Mr. Rusello that he needed to find a custodian. The janitorial services were contracted under the supervision of the custodian.

Driving home, would I have the cabin by myself, or was my family and extended family going to be there, I never knew until I arrive. I thought I’d prefer the solitude of the cabin but now I think I enjoy my family being there.

As I passed the diner, I couldn’t help think of Billy. I’m not sure about Ann and probably, in the long run, it’d be better for him to be free. Arriving at the cabin, I noted a strange car in the driveway. I wondered who was here. I didn’t see dad’s car or Bill’s car. I walked into the cabin and saw Mom in the kitchen.

“Where’s Dad and whose car is that?”

“Your father is out in the garage, do you like that car?”

“Yes, it’s a beautiful car, but why did Dad buy it, his car isn’t that old?”

From behind me, “I didn’t buy it, you did.”

Mom was laughing. “You said you wanted a new car, he spoke to Steve. He called two days ago and said his cousin had this car, it just arrived, and it was a beaut. Dad went and looked at it, bought it with your money.”

“How are you going to get home?”

Oh, we’ll use your old car to go home.”

“Good, because I could use some good news. Let’s go and check out this beauty.”

“What is or was your bad news this week.”

Walking to the new car, “I was checking out rooms that appeared on the architect's plans, I had been doing this for a while. There was one room in the staff quarters and when we open the door, you wouldn’t believe what we found. It was a pantry stocked with expensive wines, scotches, caviar, packaged food. James moved a few things and they had a freezer loaded with lobster, shrimp, steaks and I don’t know what else. They were living high off the hog, like we use to say, while robbing the school. If I have the chance I’m going to try and throw the book at them and sue them for every penny they have.”

“So what did you do?”

“The food, I moved to the cafeteria. Which reminds me I need a chef. The alcohol and caviar I’ll auction off. James is working on all that. I sent letters to the trustees and I hope none of them come back and ask I send it to them for free.”

“What will you do if they do?”

“I’ll let the real power know, my boys. We may end up with new trustees. I do have some influential friends, you know.”

“The boys?”

I nodded yes, “Let’s check out this new car of mine.”

We did and I liked it, Dad had it registered in my name and Bill had it covered. “Want to go for a ride?”

Dad got in and I drove it over to Marie’s. George said she was still at the clinic, so we drove there. I walked in, the admitting person asked how she could help me, I told her I had an aching heart and needed to see the doctor. She panicked and ran to Marie. “There is a patient here who is having a heart attack.” Marie came running out and then she saw me, stopped and hit me in the chest.

“It’s ok Emily, he’s cured.”

Emily looked like she went into shock. I grabbed Marie and kissed her, “Ah yes my heart is better now. I came to give you a ride home.”

‘I have my car.”

“Look out the window”

“Who is driving my car?”

“Your dad, my dad is with him.”

Telling me to wait, she had a few things to do, and then she would be ready. “I’m sorry Emily to have scared you. I’m Adam and Marie is my girlfriend.”

“The way she talks about you it’s more like you’re her husband.”

“Oh really, hmm I’ll have to think of a way to get even.”

I drove Marie to my place. “I need to go home and change.”

“Why, if we were married would you go home to change?”

“But need I remind you we’re not married?”

“Are you asking me to marry you? That’s a little presumptuous, isn’t it?”

“I’m not asking you to marry me?”

“I thought we were boyfriend-girlfriend, and don’t they usually end up getting married?”

“Sometimes”\

“Which times?”

We were being silly and I did drive her home. “Want me to come in and wait?”

“No, I’ll shower and then come over in the boat.”

“I could help you shower, wash your back maybe?”

She held her ring finger up.

I knew what she meant, she gave me a quick kiss, and a see you later.

“How was the car?”

“Great, thanks, Dad. I’ll get good use out of it.”

“Is Marie coming for dinner?”

“Yes, Mom, she is changing from her work clothes. George, when does hunting season start?”

“Rabbit season or small game is in now but deer season starts the weekend after Thanksgiving. You plan on going hunting?”

“No, but I’ll need to be careful running in the woods.”

“I hear a boat, you should go down and meet her. Dinner won’t be ready for another 45 minutes.”

I walked down and waited while she docked. I sat on the dock, watching her get out of the boat. “You could help me.”

“Nah, this is more fun watching you.”

She sat on the dock facing me, I reached into my pocket and took out the small box, opened it, and showed it to her. She rushed me and I started to fall backward, I quickly snapped the box closed just before we hit the water. She was laying on top of me, laughing, and soon I was laughing as well. “Will you marry me?”

“No”

“Ok. I asked, the next time it will be your turn.”

“My turn for what?”

“To buy me an expensive ring and to ask me to marry you.”

“No way, it isn’t the woman who asks, it’s the man who asks.”

“Yes, this man did ask you and you said no, so if you want me to marry you, you’ll have to ask me.” She pushed me again, I went under. “Ok, I’ll marry you just don’t drown me.”

She started to laugh and I couldn’t help laughing as well. Think about it two mature people, sitting in a lake thoroughly soaked, laughing like a couple of school kids. That was us. We got up and set back on the dock, dripping wet. I took the ring out again and slipped it on her finger. I watched, she looked at the ring, she looked at me, and then the smile I grew to love. This time the kiss was the kiss of a lady in love reciprocated by the man who was in love.

“We need to change into dry clothes.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 20
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Well congratulations are definitely in order, it is going to be interesting to hear what the trustees are going to say, plus when are they going to lay charges against the previous employed

Knowing how devoted the trustees are to the Academy, you can bet they will be as greedy as Arlene.  They will want it all and Adam needs his army.  I think it's time to put a harness on the trustees and get them in line.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Adam will need his army, the trustees will want the food for free. They will need adjustment or new ones appointed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Adam will need his army, the trustees will want the food for free. They will need adjustment or new ones appointed.

you are right.  Adam has one ace, the Ambassador

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Kev

Posted (edited)

About ruddy time Adam!!! Way to go though falling in the lake together during the proposal, Bill will be able to build that story up for the boys as his best man's speech, mind it would be great to see Billy as Best Man.

Absolutely loving this story. Been a hell of a week on jury service (wasn't travelling other than there and back),  then today it all got dropped as they pleaded guilty and we were free to come home... This story and the others that I read have kept me grounded and sane. Thankyou.:2thumbs:

Edited by Kev
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Interesting way to pop the question. Adam probably haven't read fiance's manual "How To Ask A Woman To Marry You And Make It Perfect" but the result might be similarly good :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Kev said:

About ruddy time Adam!!! Way to go though falling in the lake together during the proposal, Bill will be able to build that story up for the boys as his best man's speech, mind it would be great to see Billy as Best Man.

Absolutely loving this story. Been a hell of a week on jury service (wasn't travelling other than there and back),  then today it all got dropped as they pleaded guilty and we were free to come home... This story and the others that I read have kept me grounded and sane. Thankyou.:2thumbs:

You are most welcome, Kev.  Adam sends his regards, now relax and have some fun

  • Like 3
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, Hlasota said:

Interesting way to pop the question. Adam probably haven't read fiance's manual "How To Ask A Woman To Marry You And Make It Perfect" but the result might be similarly good :)

I'll bet if these two get married, they will be laughing all the time. It's nice to have a partner with a sense of humor.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I suspect, given time and the boy's army, that the trustee's will be doing Adam's bidding! And bidding on the wine and whiskey!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

I suspect, given time and the boy's army, that the trustee's will be doing Adam's bidding! And bidding on the wine and whiskey!!!

Or they won't be trustees anymore, which is more likely

  • Like 3
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Kev said:

About ruddy time Adam!!! Way to go though falling in the lake together during the proposal, Bill will be able to build that story up for the boys as his best man's speech, mind it would be great to see Billy as Best Man.

Absolutely loving this story. Been a hell of a week on jury service (wasn't travelling other than there and back),  then today it all got dropped as they pleaded guilty and we were free to come home... This story and the others that I read have kept me grounded and sane. Thankyou.:2thumbs:

Ugh!  Been there. Done that.  I was on a jury several years ago and just as we were about to render our decision, they settled.  We had asked a question for verification and we think the two sides saw the direction we were heading and decided to make their own deal.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

Ugh!  Been there. Done that.  I was on a jury several years ago and just as we were about to render our decision, they settled.  We had asked a question for verification and we think the two sides saw the direction we were heading and decided to make their own deal.

People react differently to jury duties.  Some hate the interference with their daily routines while others can't wait to serve. I guess that is why there is a penalty if you are called and you don't have a verifiable reason to decline.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

People react differently to jury duties.  Some hate the interference with their daily routines while others can't wait to serve. I guess that is why there is a penalty if you are called and you don't have a verifiable reason to decline.

I had no problem with it.  I was called twice (2 weeks both times), but only served on a jury once.  My mom got called one time.  She reported and later told us they asked if there was any reason she couldn’t serve.  “Yes,” she said. “I work for lawyers and know what shysters they are.”  She was immediately dismissed and was never called again! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

I had no problem with it.  I was called twice (2 weeks both times), but only served on a jury once.  My mom got called one time.  She reported and later told us they asked if there was any reason she couldn’t serve.  “Yes,” she said. “I work for lawyers and know what shysters they are.”  She was immediately dismissed and was never called again! 

That's funny. What an answer, now all of my readers will read that and use it.  PERFECT 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..