Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 951 Words
  • 2,413 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 53. Chapter 53

Dinner that evening was an informal dinner. It was at the home of the trustee that questioned me at the meeting. He was very cordial to me but still a little cool. A few of the guests came to talk to me and politely asked about my book. One of the guests asked what I did before joining the staff at the Academy. I told them I was teaching at a University and tutoring children who were having a difficult time learning. This led to my favorite subject, the training of school teachers. One of the guests mentioned the public schools in England never had that problem because they always had a group of prefects that looked out for the students. That set off another discussion, I just listen. When they asked me what I thought, I told them a piece of wood never taught anything but humiliation and pain, in my opinion. One of them said it got their attention, I told them an ice cream cone would have got their attention as well.

“Don’t you believe in corporal punishment?”

“No, I don’t. If a child misbehaves, there’s a root cause and until that root cause is removed, the child will always misbehave.”

Our host announced dinner is served. “Dr. Blake, as our guest, will you sit here?”

“Sir, are you testing me? If it pleases you, I think here would be appropriate.” I sat in the middle on the left side of the table.

Dinner was excellent. The conversation was a little boring. I never discussed business over dinner, it causes indigestion. I listened, commented when the question was directed to me.

The gentlemen at the dinner proceeded to the study for brandy and cigars and since I don’t do either professing I was still tired from my journey, left to go to my hotel. I was glad I was a small-town boy.

The next day was very interesting, I met the architect and we did discuss the plans for the Academy. He said there was a full basement under the building except for the extension which was added much later. When I asked him why was that area closed, he said they thought it wouldn’t be needed.

After convincing me that the drawings were correct, our conversation turned to the plans for the college. He wanted my opinion. “I’d think the trustees would have their opinions and since they control the purse strings I didn’t think I’ll have any input.”

“Didn’t they tell you?”

“Tell me what?”

“You are going to be the President of the college and the Academy.”

“No, they didn’t say anything about that.”

“Well, they’ll ask your opinion today, so let’s look at the plans I have sketched.”

He rolled out the plans, I suggested that he moves the library to the first floor, next to the offices. Classrooms looked ok on the second floor, I told him that we’d need one large room for presentations, seminars, particularly if we bring in experts from outside of the school.

“Where are the staff quarters and student dorms?”

“That’s something we need to add, what ideas do you have?”

Looking at the drawings for the building, what would I do. I certainly want the staff close to the college since we are outside of the mainstream. “Where are you putting the gymnasium?”

“I haven’t included that, I guess I could put that in the basement.”

“How about, we construct two wings extending here. One wing will be for staff apartments, recognizing a lot of staff will be married and may have children. And then we construct another wing here, with the first floor being a gymnasium and the second and third floor be student dorms.”

“That looks like one of the universities here in England. What about swimming, for meets?”

“I would like to build an indoor pool and an outdoor pool somewhere between the two schools. That way both schools could benefit. The indoor pool with be a championship pool for racing and diving, two boards, one at 3 meters and one at 5 meters. The outside pool will be designed as a large swimming pool, which will probably be used mostly by the Academy. Between both pools, they will share the same change rooms and showers. I’d like that area reconstructed for maximum privacy particularly if they are shared. That’s my idea”

“I think that’s a good idea, it may be hard to convince the trustees.”

“Didn’t you say that the layout reminded you of one of your universities?”

“Yes, I could get a picture and if they say no, I’ll show the picture I think one of the trustees went to school there.”

“ Brilliant"

Rather than have lunch, we headed out to take pictures. We found the school, took a face picture, and then climbed to the top and took a picture of the back. We smiled, “I need to get these developed and maybe we can grab some fish and chips or onion pie.”

Onion pie, that has to be interesting. We dropped the film off to be developed and blown up for presentation. While that was happening, we stopped at a pub, I had some kind of orange drink, non-alcoholic, and onion pie. He had steak and kidney pie, smelled good but none for me. The onion pie was good and it was baked onions in a pie shell.

“How was the onion pie?”

“It was very good. I think I’m going to ask my mom to make it.”

“She won’t make it because the crust is made with suet. I don’t think you can buy it anymore.”

“Then we’ll make an American version and when you’re over, I’ll treat you to it.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 15
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, it seems that most of the trustees are very "old school" in their thinking, he will no doubt be digging and finding the extra spaces in the school and be putting them to good use when he returns.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

One has to wonder if the school is ancillary to the Trustees daily functions. It appears that it is but a minor part of their, individual business worlds. The lack of oversight, or understanding of what is going on where they have placed their sons, to further their educations, is stunning. Quite frankly the fundamental lack of care or concern is troubling. As examples...think the status of the kitchen or the slipshod manner in which their sons health was overseen.

These folks are the current movers and shakers we are led to believe, do they pay a similar lack of attention to their other endeavors?

Edited by drsawzall
  • Like 4
Link to comment

I love the layout plans for the new school. The trustees have me wondering where they are all coming from though. They all sound as if they have money, but they also seem to lack leadership and be pulling in different ways with the cold fish seeming to want to take control of them all. That was most likely what caused the problem last time. 

President of both schools, now that is a turn up for the books... I just hope that they listen to Adam about what should and should not be included in the plans. It would have been good a little communication as well; I mean finding out that you are the new president of the school from the Architect... WOW!:fight:

Now I was born and bred in England. My family were the ones that the generations made crawl out of the mines unlike evolution thinks of everyone else. I also love pies but I think my learning is a little limited as I have never had just onion pie; absolutely love cheese and onion pie, but never had just onion pie. Sounds good, but I reckon you'd have to stand well down wind if you were eating all those onions.

Absolutely in love with Adam still:2thumbs::kiss: 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Hlasota said:

Maybe they find some lard to use for onion pies. 

Yes lard can be used and I think that is available in the US. I know that English recipes that call for suet are substituting lard.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Chris L said:

Another chapter where I should've ate before reading! LOL!!! Sounds like Adam is well on his way to building a proper university and upgrading the school in the process. Wonder if a raise and new contract comes with being President of both! 😂

I'm sure it does. I think soon Adam will name his own salary and they will pay

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, weinerdog said:

The Trustees still don't communicate adequately.Adam had to hear from the architect about being the college president.Maybe some of the Trustees don't because he didn't have a brandy with them.It will definitely be a challenge but Adam is up to it

Hmmm Onion Pie.Never had it but it sounds great.

No they don't. It's unfortunate that Adam had to hear from the architect. I had onion pie one time at an English pub. It wasn't what I expected but it was quite tasty.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, it seems that most of the trustees are very "old school" in their thinking, he will no doubt be digging and finding the extra spaces in the school and be putting them to good use when he returns.

Yes, definitely;y old school. I like his come back to the use of the switch or rod.. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

One has to wonder if the school is ancillary to the Trustees daily functions. It appears that it is but a minor part of their, individual business worlds. The lack of oversight, or understanding of what is going on where they have placed their sons, to further their educations, is stunning. Quite frankly the fundamental lack of care or concern is troubling. As examples...think the status of the kitchen or the slipshod manner in which their sons health was overseen.

These folks are the current movers and shakers we are led to believe, do they pay a similar lack of attention to their other endeavors?

That is a  good question. I get the I'm press ion that this function of trustee is just another line on a  curriculum vitae

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

It looks like Adams job has got even bigger with the new college

Yes, but with an adequate staff in the Academy, an intelligent Board of Directors for both, and hand selected teachers, he should be able to handle it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
11 hours ago, CLJobe said:

A lot of what Adam does seems to be logical. When I was in High School, I was teach when it came to math and science. I used a little of that experience in this story.  But for me, a lot of it seems to be common sense, I think.

I said in a previous chapter that teaching is an art.  I still affirm this.  However, there is a lot of common sense in there that seems to get lost in the shuffle, especially from Administrators.  And the higher up in the chain of command they are, they worse they seem to get. Granted these are individual examples. We have an issue going on here right now where the Superintendent has just resigned because he hired a guy for an administrative position with an acknowledged sketchy background in another state after the guy ‘promised’ not to do anything again.  Guess what?  He was recently arrested for molesting a kid in a neighboring city.  In another issue, a local administrator is lamenting how he is being ‘forced’ to leave because of issues in the system.  I just found out from a good friend who has rental property that the guy convinced him into renting property to the guys father and uncle.  The two then terrorized the elderly couple below them where the husband was bedbound and dying.  Police were called multiple times due to noise and harassment complain!ts.  Then they stopped paying rent because they figured they couldn’t be evicted due to the moratorium.  My friend finally did get them evicted and was left with over $15,000 worth of damage.  Where was the administrator in all this?  The guy who promise to take care of any problems?  He spent the time avoiding calls and any contact.  All this while my friend was fighting leukemia and fighting for his life (he is doing great now). 
 

It seems that power goes to peoples’ heads. I doubt that will ever change. Sorry. I didn’t mean to go on a rant there.  Just found out about everything my friend was going through last night.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

I said in a previous chapter that teaching is an art.  I still affirm this.  However, there is a lot of common sense in there that seems to get lost in the shuffle, especially from Administrators.  And the higher up in the chain of command they are, they worse they seem to get. Granted these are individual examples. We have an issue going on here right now where the Superintendent has just resigned because he hired a guy for an administrative position with an acknowledged sketchy background in another state after the guy ‘promised’ not to do anything again.  Guess what?  He was recently arrested for molesting a kid in a neighboring city.  In another issue, a local administrator is lamenting how he is being ‘forced’ to leave because of issues in the system.  I just found out from a good friend who has rental property that the guy convinced him into renting property to the guys father and uncle.  The two then terrorized the elderly couple below them where the husband was bedbound and dying.  Police were called multiple times due to noise and harassment complain!ts.  Then they stopped paying rent because they figured they couldn’t be evicted due to the moratorium.  My friend finally did get them evicted and was left with over $15,000 worth of damage.  Where was the administrator in all this?  The guy who promise to take care of any problems?  He spent the time avoiding calls and any contact.  All this while my friend was fighting leukemia and fighting for his life (he is doing great now). 
 

It seems that power goes to peoples’ heads. I doubt that will ever change. Sorry. I didn’t mean to go on a rant there.  Just found out about everything my friend was going through last night.

There will always people who have no conscience and feel that it is a joke when they harass other people. I'm sorry your friend had to go through that and I'm glad he is feeling better. I could never understand when people decide that  their obligation stops when they think a problem has been solved., As a teacher you know what the students hear, "When you are finished, go back and check it over, look for errors". Obviously the person who found those two A**holes the apartment didn't go back and check. I pray your friend continues to have the peace of a quiet home.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, CLJobe said:

have you eve had onion and  potato pie? I'll bet that would be good as well.

Yep... and it is really gooooood. At the moment my favourite is Corned Beef and Onion pie, just allowed to cool and with a little ketchup.:thankyou:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Kev said:

Yep... and it is really gooooood. At the moment my favourite is Corned Beef and Onion pie, just allowed to cool and with a little ketchup.:thankyou:

That sounds good.  I like corned beef.  I'll have to look up the recipe

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..