Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,078 Words
  • 2,077 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 29. Chapter 29

Ann came out with a small overnight case and what looked like a cosmetic case. As soon as she was in the car, I headed to the camp. Mom was surprised to see Ann but Mom being Mom got over it and smiled. Billy and I unloaded the car while Mom took Ann inside to show her where she could put her things.

“Adam, I was surprised to see Ann. Why is she here?”

"Billy wanted to use the car and go pick her up. Knowing how fast they are moving I wanted to make sure that we didn’t have a shotgun wedding."

“You know there’s no way to control that if they want to go further. You can’t be with them 24 hours.”

“I know, but at least I don’t have to be the one to make it easy for him. I know Bill and Jen would be very upset and I don’t want them to be upset with me.”

Mom just smiled at me, I knew that if they wanted to go further than kissing there was no way I could stop them. But I can make it harder for them.

Dinner was a lively affair, Scotty kept asking Billy if Ann was his girlfriend when Billy said yes, Scotty made a face and said yuk. We all laughed and as a result every time Billy looked at Scotty, we heard yuk. I laughed the first time but after a while, it ceased to be funny. I think Scotty realized that and stopped, that the piece of apple pie Mom set in front of him occupied his time.

I offered to help Mom with the dishes, Dad went and sat on the porch with Scotty in tow. Billy and Ann went for a walk to the lake. I knew Dad could see them from the porch.

“Are you ready for your interview?”

“The question is, are they ready for the interview. Although this is a prestigious school and the pay is good, they have to have an open mind to my methods.”

“If you get the job where will you live?”

“If I don’t mind driving I could stay here otherwise I’ll have to rent an apartment. I probably will still spend weekends here. I like the quiet.”

“And not to mention Marie across the lake.”

“Are you trying to play matchmaker?”

“Mom laughed and gave me a wink. She was trying to play matchmaker. I liked Marie, she was a dedicated person and thankfully not a teacher. But I was not going to jump into something and I’m not sure how she feels about me. Time moves slowly and so do I.

Dad came in, “Do you know where that moose horn is?”

Mom went to the bedroom and brought it to him, “What are you going to do with that?”

“I’m going to have a little fun. Come outside and watch.”

We walked out to the porch with a cup of coffee. I looked around and couldn’t see Billy and Ann. “Watch”

Dad took the moose horn and blew into it. The noise was loud and if you didn’t know different it did sound like a moose. Now what was funny, there are no moose anywhere close to where the cabin was located. On the second blow, two kids came running out of the woods.

“There’s an animal in the woods. It sounded close so we came here.”

“Well, it’s getting dark and a lot of wild animals come out at night looking for food. Best you stay around here.”

 

I wasn’t sure if Billy stayed in his room all night or not. I was a little concerned about Ann pushing Billy into doing something he might not be ready to do. Falling asleep, I just prayed that Billy would use common sense.

I woke up early, I wanted to arrive at the Academy for Exceptional Youth early. I wanted to check out the area with the idea of available rentals, the kind of community that existed in the neighborhood of the school. I also wanted to be able to drop off Ann at the diner as soon as possible.

I made coffee and evidently, Mom smelled it or she heard me. “Do want me to make you breakfast or will you eat at the diner?”

“I think I’ll eat at the diner. I need to get Billy up and perhaps you could get Ann up.”

Taking a cup of coffee, I headed upstairs to roust Billy out of bed. Wasn’t sure what I’d find if I open the door, so I pounded on the door and yelled Fire.

I grabbed Billy as he ran out of the room. He took a look at me and his expression caused me to laugh, and I laughed very hard and loud. Didn’t have to worry about Mom waking Ann, she and Dad came running out of their rooms with a blanket wrapped around them.

Dad took one look at me and swatted me on the head as he went back to bed. Billy had an angry look and Ann didn’t know what to make of this madman. After I stopped laughing I finally was able to tell them to get dressed and we’ll have breakfast at the diner.

When I got downstairs, “Adam, what was that all about?”

“I wanted to get the kids up and I was afraid to walk in on Billy, not sure what I’d find. So I yelled fire and it did the trick. All three came running out of their rooms, Dad swatted me on the head and I think he went back to bed. As soon as the kids get here, I’ll take off. I want to check out the area where this school is located.

I refilled my coffee cup and went to get dressed for my interview. When I came back downstairs, the kids were ready to go for breakfast. I got dirty looks from Billy and Ann must have thought I was crazy. “Mom, are you and Dad going to come to the diner?”

“No, I think we’ll have breakfast here. It’s quiet here and I think I’ll enjoy sitting on the porch this morning.”

“Let’s go guys.”

“I drove to the diner in total silence. Every time I looked at Billy he had a scowl on his face. I knew he’d get over it and would be a happy and smiling Billy again.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 5
  • Haha 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Better to yell 'fire' than toss a bucket of cold water!!!

Yes, that would be funny but not sure Billy would have forgiven Adam

  • Like 5
Link to comment

What was Adam afraid to walk in on?His Mom went to get Ann up if she didn't find her then he would know he didn't have to yell fire.If Billy is mad about that then better not tell him about the Moose horn.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

FIRE!!!! Wouldn't mind giving my friends a reason to wake me up like that... I'm sure Billy was good; Ann would say verrry very goood🤭Young love, come on I was Adam to find love.... Please, :kiss:absolutely love Adam.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I'd chose ice cubes and left the fire to the real thing. What did Adam think he was going to find, morning wood or, worse, Billy awake and doing the morning ritual. Definitely nothing Adam hasn't done himself I'm sure. Think I'd just respected privacy, banged on the door with the announcement and then if that didn't work, bring the crushed ice in a bucket of cold water. Next time, at the slightest knock, Billy would be at the door and ready to go! lol 

Edited by Chris L
  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, fire  call is not funny , that old adage about crying wolf comes to mind ,I hope that all goes well on the drive and interview, 

I think that was a little over done on Adam's part. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

What was Adam afraid to walk in on?His Mom went to get Ann up if she didn't find her then he would know he didn't have to yell fire.If Billy is mad about that then better not tell him about the Moose horn.

Mom  never made it to Ann's room

  • Like 2
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Kev said:

FIRE!!!! Wouldn't mind giving my friends a reason to wake me up like that... I'm sure Billy was good; Ann would say verrry very goood🤭Young love, come on I was Adam to find love.... Please, :kiss:absolutely love Adam.

I think Adam bought Ann was a little forward

  • Like 3
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Chris L said:

I'd chose ice cubes and left the fire to the real thing. What did Adam think he was going to find, morning wood or, worse, Billy awake and doing the morning ritual. Definitely nothing Adam hasn't done himself I'm sure. Think I'd just respected privacy, banged on the door with the announcement and then if that didn't work, bring the crushed ice in a bucket of cold water. Next time, at the slightest knock, Billy would be at the door and ready to go! lol 

Adam has a feeling that Ann is a little further along the dating game than Billy. Billy being a virile young man. would not say no. I'm, sure Adam's concern is  based on how he has read the interaction between the two.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..