Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,259 Words
  • 2,092 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 57. Chapter 57

The alarm went off at 4:30 but I wasn’t ready to get out of bed. You know how you say just 5 minutes more and it is longer, that was what I said but I was stupid, I set another alarm at five and you had to get out of bed to shut it off. Ok, I dressed for running, maybe that might wake me up. I passed the cafeteria and got a cup of coffee and headed for the track. Warm-ups help to waken the muscles but running in London didn’t help. On my first lap, Scotty could have “beaten me, but I kept at it and each lap became better. Of course, having the running team coming out helped a little. Johnny ran up beside me, “Sir, you look a little beat this morning. Too much partying in London” That did it, I started to push and when I finished my laps I felt better. Cool down lap, then cool down exercise, and I was ready for my shower and breakfast.

I took my coffee cup with me and wonder if the coach was still there, I didn’t have to wonder long. “There was a little extra in my check, that wasn’t a mistake was it.”

“No coach, the previous administration was charging you for food and room, that will not happen again. The extra was what they charge you less Uncle Sam’s share.”

“Thanks that helps, I send most of my money home to my wife.”

Showered, dressed, and heading toward the cafeteria. “Dr. Blake, after all of the last two days, I noticed my check contained a small increase. I’m afraid to cash it.”

“Bob, it’s right you can cash it. That little bit is what they have been taking from you for food and your room, that won’t happen anymore. Room and board are included in our contract. I’d appreciate it if you told the rest as well.”

Greedy people cheat their fellow employees out of a few dollars. Well, I need to sit down with them and tell them their new salaries.

I always enjoy walking into the cafeteria with a room full of boys. I went and got my breakfast and headed to the Knights table, “Sir, my dad said to tell you, good job.”

“Thank you.” Then I remember the gift I had for Ramon. “Ramon, when you are finished eating and don’t hurry, please come to my office, I have a gift from your mother.”

It didn’t take him long to finish his breakfast, he gulped his food down, “Ramon, take your time, I have to go to my rooms to get your gift. Boys make sure you get enough food so go back and get what you like.”

Ramon kept his eye on me while eating his breakfast. “Ramon, go and get another blueberry pancake and when you are done, come to my office ok.” He shook his head yes. It must be lonely for these boys to be away from home and in a different country as well. I quickly went to my room, got the gifts from my suitcase and headed to my office. I was surprised when he wasn’t there.

“Where’s Ramon, I expected him to be here.”

“He was here but he had to go to the bathroom, here he comes now.”

I handed him the gift, he hugged me and I hugged him right back. He started to leave with the gift, stopped, and turned around, “Thank you, sir”

“You’re welcome, Knight Ramon.” That brought a smile.

I worked all morning on adjusting payroll for staff. I also checked the secretaries and I called their school to ask what the starting salary was for a secretary from their school. Again, ours were underpaid. So I looked at the percentage raise for teachers and applied it to secretaries, now I had another list I needed. “James, can you go to our payroll clerk, and ask her for the payroll of all the secretaries?”

“We getting a raise boss?”

“Maybe a pay cut, I just checked with your school. Your starting wage was above the average wage.”

“Hey, I’m an above-average secretary, jack of all trades, errand boy, is that enough?”

He brought down the payroll. I sat down and applied the percentage increase for the cost of living plus a percentage for performance. As I went through the list, there seemed to be a lot of secretaries. When I had my list completed, I called James.

“James, I have reviewed your salary, this is your new salary,” I effectively doubled his salary.

“You know I was kidding.”

“James you are secretary to the President of this Academy. Plus you were underpaid, to begin with. The number is real. I’ll go to payroll and make sure it’s real. Now start with this list and call them to come to my office.”

From a list of 25 secretaries, we had 10 and not all of them were secretaries, a few were clerks. As the secretaries came, I told them what their new salary would be, some left with smiles some left with tears. One thing they all left with was anger at their previous boss. Now I need to go to payroll.

I sat down with the payroll clerk, and we began to adjust those I adjusted. Those that I didn’t, we deleted after I recorded the bank account number. “I need you to make sure, that no checks are issued to these dead accounts. For the first few weeks, bring the checks to my office, I need to sign them anyway. Destroy that automatic signing plate. Better yet, I’ll take it with me.”

Now I need to talk to the staff. “James I need you to call staff for me again one at a time.”

I went through the same spiel, there were a lot of smiling faces, and the one that smiled the most was the coach. I think he was so angry at the old group if he saw them, he would literally tear them apart.

On one more trip to payroll, we ran the new payroll numbers, again there were two that to my knowledge wasn’t on the payroll, we deleted them, then we ran a dummy payroll and it looked ok. I took the automatic signature stamp. "Make sure there are no more stamps around. If you find one, bring it to my office."

“Mr. President, it's lunchtime.”

“You know I haven’t signed those checks yet.”

“But you will. The staff and non-staff, if you want to call us that, are pretty angry at the previous directors.”

“I imagine they are. I know I’d be mad, but it’s over and in the past. We need to get on with the business of educating the leaders of tomorrow. What we need to do, is to turn that space that Arlene occupied, into a computer room. I’m going to hire someone to teach the boys how to program and operate a computer.”

He just looked at me, “You are a maverick you know that.”

“If you were a student here, what would you think?”

“Father image”

I never expected that “What in the world made you say that?”

“That’s the way the boys look at you. You’re their father substitute.”

“James, I can’t be that. If I was that and had to discipline one of them, it would hurt me too much.”

“That’s just it, they won’t cause you to discipline them.”]

I thought I need to discuss this with Mom and Marie.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 26
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMFG!!!! Twenty-five secretaries and only 10 physical bodies falling under that category. So the crooks were not only causing the Academy to hemorrhage money by embezzling, they were double dipping also by fictitious employees being added to the payroll. At this rate, the parents need to hold the Trustees accountable for their derelict of duty. And seriously, rubber stamping??? I guess that way Ole Bagpipes could deny accountability and "not knowing" that was going on ... until the agents traced the bank accounts back to her and all the other crooks Adam has dismissed. One does have to wonder if the staff won't request all the monies back that have been maliciously withheld from their check for room and board over the years. That's definitely going to be a pretty penny and something Adam should already be in the process of making happen as it's the only right thing to do to keep the staff from getting a thorn in the sides.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
CLJobe

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Chris L said:

OMFG!!!! Twenty-five secretaries and only 10 physical bodies falling under that category. So the crooks were not only causing the Academy to hemorrhage money by embezzling, they were double dipping also by fictitious employees being added to the payroll. At this rate, the parents need to hold the Trustees accountable for their derelict of duty. And seriously, rubber stamping??? I guess that way Ole Bagpipes could deny accountability and "not knowing" that was going on ... until the agents traced the bank accounts back to her and all the other crooks Adam has dismissed. One does have to wonder if the staff won't request all the monies back that have been maliciously withheld from their check for room and board over the years. That's definitely going to be a pretty penny and something Adam should already be in the process of making happen as it's the only right thing to do to keep the staff from getting a thorn in the sides.  

Adam didn't go back, but what did was to raise their salaries by taking a national average for private schools And applied a COL adjustment And topped it off with a hefty salary increase, a move that, they were happy, but heaven help the old staff if they ever see them.

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Call the police these bozos that ran the place need putting away... that payroll alone would have been well and truly ripping the trustees and parents off and making a laughing stock out of the whole academy. Arlene must have been laughing all the way to the bank and back!

I want an Adam in my life, maybe not a lover but I could do with a friend. :thankyou:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

Call the police these bozos that ran the place need putting away... that payroll alone would have been well and truly ripping the trustees and parents off and making a laughing stock out of the whole academy. Arlene must have been laughing all the way to the bank and back!

I want an Adam in my life, maybe not a lover but I could do with a friend. :thankyou:

If you look you'll fining an Adam.  I'm sure Adam will have the police on them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, so he has started to sweep clean , I suspect that some previous employees are going to need to hide or get their affairs in order before getting new accommodations in a cell

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, so he has started to sweep clean , I suspect that some previous employees are going to need to hide or get their affairs in order before getting new accommodations in a cell

I suspect the Academy is in for a windfall when the Frds start to confiscate the Director's money, particular the off shore accounts. Good times ahead, maybe

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..