Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,782 Words
  • 2,173 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 95. Chapter 95

I walked to Hans’s office, “Hans the chalets look great. Would it be possible to build another 6? I was thinking of a circle around a large fire pit. Or maybe a semi-circle with an opening to the cabin and the lake.”

“It’s possible, you may need more land.”

“I have purchased more land behind the chalets you have built. There is a good buffer zone now. I also need busses to take the kids, I’ll get my dad on that. Give it some thought and then come and see me on Friday”

Walking back to my office I heard someone saying, “I’m sorry but I don’t have any more coins.”

“But I’m hungry, please.”

Now no boy was going to be hungry, I walked into the Dining Hall, and there’s Andy with one of the new students. “Andy, what’s the problem?” I put my arm around the boy who was crying.

“Sir, Alex, wants me to give him some coins to get a snack. He’s hungry and seems to always be hungry.”

I knew what Alex’s problem was. He was very thin and I would bet he was hungry a lot. “Here, Andy, are 10 coins, Alex, come with me. “

The poor boy was shaking, “Ms. Wilson, this young man is hungry, can you fix him some food. Alex, sit here and Ms. Wilson will see that you get enough food to fill your belly.”

I watched as a sandwich and a glass of milk were set before him. There was no question he was hungry, he ate that sandwich very fast, then a bowl of soup with butter bread, I watched that being consumed, “Alex when you have had enough come and see me ok. You know where my office is, right?”

He nodded, I kissed him on the head. “Don’t worry sir, I know what’s wrong and I’ll have him full in no time.”

Walking back to the office, Alex needs to have a check-up now. His appetite is not normal for a boy his age. “James, ask Doctor Montain to come and see me with Alex Sapner’s medical records.”

“Hello Uncle” We both laughed. “Doc, I have a new student and I hope that is his medical record.”

“Yes, I’ve looked it over, except for being underweight everything else appears ok.”

“Is it routine to check for an overactive thyroid on a 12-year-old?”

“No, normally those boys are thin because they burn off the calories as fast as they can in sports and other activities.”

“I have a student, that one you have in your hand, he can’t get enough to eat. He’s sitting in our kitchen being fed by Ms. Wilson. He has put away enough food for a whole day in less than 20 minutes. Come with me and I’ll bet he’s still eating.”

We walked to the Dining Hall and into the kitchen. Alex was still sitting there eating a bowl of noodle soup. “Sir, he has eaten two sandwiches, and that's his third bowl of soup. I have used cream and double the noddles content and he has just now slowed down. I had a neighbor that had a similar problem but not as severe, her mother fed her a lot of heavy starchy foods.”

“Doc?”

“Let him finish eating, then I’ll run some tests on him, he’s too young for thyroid but there is another possibility.”

Doc left, I sat down and watched him eat. I smiled as he ate, “Good right?” He nodded.

Ms. Wilson asked if he wanted another bowl, he shook his head no. “Thank you.”

“Let’s go for a walk, the Doctor seems to have an idea of what your problem is that causes you to be hungry all of the time.”

I walked with him to the doctor’s office, I had him by my side, a hand on his shoulder pulling him a little into me. Walking into the medical office, I remember my first visit to that office. “The doctor is waiting for you, go on in.”

“Hello, Alex, did you eat enough?”

‘Yes sir”

“Alex I need to take some samples, I need a small sample of your blood, I need a small sample of your urine and I need a small sample of your bowel movement. So, can I take the small sample of blood now?”

Alex looked at me, I sat in a chair, picked him so he sat on my lap, held his head to my chest as Doc took the sample. “Alex, are you ready for me?”

Alex nodded yes and grabbed my arm real tight. Doc started to laugh, Alex turned and saw the vial of blood. He looked at his arm and saw the bandage. Smiling, “I didn’t feel anything.” We laughed.

“Now Alex, could you go into that room and urinate in this bottle?”

Alex looked at me, I whispered “Pee in the bottle” he giggled.

When he went into the room, “Doc, are you thinking what I am?”

“I’ll know for sure when I exam the stool. It is unusual for one of our students but I’m not sure where he has been”

“Sir, I need to go to the bathroom.”

Doc smiled, “Here take this pan and see if you can go there ok.”

We waited a few minutes, “Sir I need wipes”

Doc handed me a box of Wet Wipes. I opened the door a crack and held the box out to him. He took the box, I shut the door.

When he came out, “Sir where do I put the pan.”

“Just leave it, the janitor will clean it for me.”

I watched Doc write out a prescription and then call the pharmacy in town. I sent James to get the prescription. “Alex, will you be ok until Dinner?”

“Yes sir”

At the office, I called Doc. “Is it what I suspect

“Yes, and a very bad infestation, you need to find out where he spent the summer and what food he ate.”

“Any side effects from the medicine.”

“No, but he needs to be with someone for the next 48 hours. After taking those pills, every exit from his body will be the worms, he’ll need help. You up for it?”

“He’s one of my boys.”

“I suggest you use the infirmary, I’ll show you how to use the equipment.”

“James is back and it almost Dinner time. Is there anything he shouldn’t eat?”

“No, just know, what goes down will come up.”

“James, pull Alex’s file and see if we have information on where he spent the summer and even last year?”

“Doc, here is the prescription. Do you know what this medicine does?”

“Yes, let’s go to Dinner.” Standing in line, “James, who are Alex’s teachers?

“ Malory and Lutz.”

“When you have the chance tell them due to a medical condition, Alex will not be in class this afternoon.”

Doc told me what he shouldn’t eat, he suggested a high-protein soup. His body might be able to digest some of the nutrients before the meds began to work. “Alex, I have a special soup that Marcel has made for you. After dinner, we are going back to the infirmary and we’ll spend the evening there. I’ll be with you and hopefully, by morning, you will be able to eat like a normal boy, that means only two trips to the food bar.”

I could see he was scared, his eyes had tears in them. I knew that in the morning, he would be feeling much better. I smiled at him, put my arm around his shoulder giving him a little squeeze.

I took my tray, which only had a salad on it, and went to sit down. Alex sat next to me. Caleb brought him a bowl of soup. The souped smelled good and of course boys being boys wanted to know what kind of soup that was. Art wanted to know why he was only eating soup. “Alex has more medical tests to take.”

The way the boys looked at him, you could see sympathy in their eyes. No child likes to hear the words doctor and tests in the same sentence.

After finishing dinner, we walked to the clinic. I gave Doc the prescription, he checked it, and then we went to the infirmary. He gave Alex a hospital gown and showed him where he could change. “He’s going to need clean clothes in the morning. Can you have someone bring them over

“Sure, I’ll call James and he can take care of it.”

Alex came out of the bathroom with the gown on, holding the back together. I pulled the sheet back and helped him in bed. Doc gave him the tablet with a glass of water.

I had my copy of King Arthur in my case. I started to read it to Alex, he relaxed and even chuckled a little as I tried to sound like Arthur. “Sir, I need to go to the bathroom.”

I helped him up and into the bathroom. I could tell he was a little embarrassed but the need overtook the embarrassment. I expected his bowels to unload but not his stomach. Someone handed a pan to me. I took it and held it for Alex. He was scared, “It’s ok Alex, you need to get that all out of your system.” I looked into the pan, I was shocked. I knew what the medicine would do, but I never really expected it. Alex looked at me, tears were running down his cheeks.

“Alex, it’s ok, the medicine is working. You’ll feel better in the morning.”

“Alex, the Doctor is right. By morning you’ll feel like a new boy.”

“I’m not sure he heard me, he was still retching. I felt sorry for him, Doctor handed me a sample bottle, I took a sample from the basin. I watched for 15 minutes as Alex continued to rid himself of the worms.

“Doc, is one treatment sufficient or will he need to go through this again?”

“Normally, one treatment is sufficient, but I’ll think about giving him another treatment in the morning. I need to analyze these samples and then I can make the decision.”

Alex must have been empty. He was now doing what is termed as dry heaves. “Is he going to do this again tonight?”

“Yes, I expect he will.”

I helped Alex to get cleaned, picked him up, and carried him to bed. He was exhausted.

“Doc handed me a wet face clothe, it felt cool. I wiped Alex’s face with it. He smiled and then closed his eyes and slept. While he slept, I called Dad.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 16
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
  • Sad 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Chris L said:

This chapter just exemplifies the love and compassion Adam & Co have for these boys. Ole Bagpipes probably would've let the poor boy starve to death or sent his parents a bill for the extra food he was consuming. Such a contrast and so refreshing the direction Adam has taken the Academy in ... the right direction!!!

Adam's parents need to take a bow in raising such a man. Adam's compassion is unusual but then if he didn't have the compassion he has, then the boys would never have someone they can look up to and hopefully learn and copy.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Andre Delport said:

Sounds absolutely horrendous.

It was until a method of having the body eject the parasite. One tablet and everything came out.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Scary stuff.I wonder if Dr.McMillian would have missed it.

In my opinion yes, he would have. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Such a simple thing, understanding how to relate to children and have the ability to act with care and compassion when needed!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Such a simple thing, understanding how to relate to children and have the ability to act with care and compassion when needed!

It would seem so, except when someone puts themselves ahead of everything else, including the welfare of children 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Yes, it seems that Doc and Adam had a clue. I bet they thought it was a tape worm.

That’s what was going through my mind.  This sounds much worse.  I really don’t know what the treatment for tapeworms is, so…

Poor Alex must be feeling miserable right now.  Lucky for him, Adam stops at nothing to make sure his boys are OK. He also got the right doctor to take care them, too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Chris L said:

This chapter just exemplifies the love and compassion Adam & Co have for these boys. Ole Bagpipes probably would've let the poor boy starve to death or sent his parents a bill for the extra food he was consuming. Such a contrast and so refreshing the direction Adam has taken the Academy in ... the right direction!!!

I think the Old Guard would have called his parents to come and get him

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

That’s what was going through my mind.  This sounds much worse.  I really don’t know what the treatment for tapeworms is, so…

Poor Alex must be feeling miserable right now.  Lucky for him, Adam stops at nothing to make sure his boys are OK. He also got the right doctor to take care them, too.

He did, I remember when a drug was tested ion South America that cleansed the body of this worm infestation. The worm lives and breeds in. snails

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, CLJobe said:

He did, I remember when a drug was tested ion South America that cleansed the body of this worm infestation. The worm lives and breeds in. snails

And people love to eat snails, thereby easily infecting the diner.  They really need to contact his family and tell them to seek medical treatment.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Poor little one... Adam is definitely more than a dad to the kids now. I remember when my kids were young, and I hate to say it it always started with the girls, but the things that they got into caused mild infestations as described in the chapter. It is not a nice experience, especially since the medication had to be taken by the whole family😭

No knowing where some of these kids come from, I am not surprised that the problem has arisen. I dare say that if asked Alex would say that many in his country suffer from the same thing. For it to be affecting him like it was it must have been pretty advanced. My friend served a nursing mission in Manila and was warned never to drink the water... She ran out of bottled water one hot day and guess what? Well apparently one tablet sorted her out, but what she had left her with nasty little things in the blood that can not be gotten rid of.

Excellent chanpter:thankyou:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..