Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,078 Words
  • 2,132 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 67. Chapter 67

I didn’t open the letter, instead, I went to the Dining Hall and gave each boy 5 coins. “I was very proud of my Knights today. You did yourself proud and the school proud. I’m honored to know you.”

I left and walked back to my office. Now I opened the letter. “Adam, you wowed the pants off them, I think that’s what you say when someone is astonished. I didn’t tell them anything about you or the Knights of the Square Table. Richard said you didn’t know about it and I believe him. I am thankful you are teaching my son. He’ll grow to be a strong man and a strong leader in this world, you have got to be thanked for that.”

I read that letter several times. I know I had tears in my eyes. I also had anger in my heart. Anger at what these boys had to endure before I join the Academy.

I think the rest of the week I floated. James had the go-ahead for the auction and so he mailed the letters.

The next morning, when I walked into the Dining Hall, the boys started to give me hugs. Why? I didn’t know. Richard was the last, he wanted me to bend down, when I did he whispered his dad called him last night he was to give me a message. I looked at him, the message was a surprise is coming.

“Do you know what the surprise is?”

“No, Father said just to tell you that.”

“Did all of you get your 5 coins as a special bonus?”

They indicated yes. “Yesterday was a very important day. Our visitors are very important to our Academy and I must say you behaved as true Knights. I couldn’t have been prouder of you. Gentlemen, I salute you.”

Of course, we had the rah-rah-rah.

I took the drawings and headed to the cellars, I followed the walls and then I came to a dead end. According to the drawing, there should have been a hallway here. I saw one of the janitors and asked if he had a heavy hammer. He left and came back with two hammers. “According to this drawing, there should be a hall here.”

He tapped it, “I think it is hallow behind this wall.”

“The architect drawings said it shouldn’t be hollow. You or me?”

“Both” We hit that wall and it cracked. My partner took a few more whacks at the wall and it began to crumble.

“Do you think you could open this as originally designed?”

“Sure I’ll get some guys to help me, when we are done you won’t know it was there.”

Walking into my office, “Where were you?”

“Busting a wall in the basement, there’s a room there that was closed off. I’m anxious to find out what was in that room.”

“What do you think is there?”

“Look at this, this is a large room. The entrance is here, and on this end, looks like a smaller room running along this wall. You know what this might be, a gym.”

“That would be great if it is.”

“The janitors said they will have it all cleared out by tomorrow morning. I need to find a custodian to oversee everything, Those visitors opened their eyes when they saw the murals. They were very impressed when I said he was our resident artist.”

“Abel stopped by, he said he’ll be in the kitchen.”

“You want to come, he’s going to be surprised.”

Walking to the kitchens, a few of the boys were in the Dining Hall. They came to say hello, and they walked away with a hug. Walking into the kitchen, the staff were seated around a table eating. “Abel, I have another project for you and I have another surprise for you. Those gentlemen were very impressed with the Oath. They also noted your name under our Camelot. It’s a rule when you create art and sign your name to it, then someone must be paid. You impressed some very important people, here’s your money.” I gave it to him in an envelope. “Don’t forget to come to my office before you leave.”

“You know you’ll need to do something for the others.”

“Caleb will be training as a chef, if he produces something exceptional, he’ll get his. Joe is going to start an herb garden and I need to talk to Charlie about that.”

“How do you feel about today?”

“I’m not sure how to feel. If your mom and dad wanted a tour, I’d treat them the same way. I was taught to treat people like I’d like them to treat me. Doesn’t always happen, but I’m in charge of my life, not the others.”

 

“James, I have a project that will need working on. At the end of school, I want a three-day Renaissance type fair. Do you have one of your crazy friends who do that sort of thing?”

“This may surprise you but I do. He has a small company that puts on these fairs. I’ll ask him.”

“I’d like to meet him, what are those chances?”

“Good, I’ll bring him with me on Monday.”

I had dinner with the boys. The soup was made from leftovers and it was good. There were grilled cheese sandwiches and they were made at the line, I asked to have tomato and onion on mine. Larry was watching, “Is that good?”

“The best”

I saw Ms. Wilson, waved her over, “I think you’re going to get a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato and onion.” She headed back to the kitchen. “When you slice the onion, slice it very thin.” She nodded and smiled.

We took our sandwich and soup to the table. The soup was good. “This soup is good, my Mom made a soup like this.” I watched as the boys who didn’t have any soup got up to get a bowl. It was good. They liked it. Then the grilled cheese sandwich. Ralph looked at my sandwich.

“What’s on your sandwich?”

“A slice of tomato and onion. It's good, ask Larry.” He gave thumbs up. I bet I could get them to eat liver, but I wouldn’t do that to anyone.

I took my plate back, “Sir, you should eat here every day. They cleaned us out.”

“If they asked for something else, try to get them to eat a salad.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 18
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, just getting back and 3 chapters to take in. So much happened that made me smile, become emotional, and laugh out loud all at the same time. Adam literally is close to walking on water! lol I too was intrigued by the reasoning of closing the rooms off and, after reading your explanation, had another thought as well ... if Ole Bagpipes was running a draconian institution, anything that would elicit fun would abnormal and should be boarded up. If behind the great wall in the basement truly is the gymnasium - with all of its' equipment still left in tact - we can surmise that Ole Bagpipes wasn't just a thief but also a very mean and unhappy person at heart that wanted to inflict the same on everyone around her ... except those she had to pay off in her embezzlement scheme in order for them to remain loyal and silent. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great chapter, he keeps introducing the the boys to new things ,they are open to a lots of new experiences, and they just lap it up, he is along the giving the. Life experiences

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I bet he could!!!

We took our sandwich and soup to the table. The soup was good. “This soup is good, my Mom made a soup like this.” I watched as the boys who didn’t have any soup got up to get a bowl. It was good. They liked it. Then the grilled cheese sandwich. Ralph looked at my sandwich.

“What’s on your sandwich?”

“A slice of tomato and onion. It's good, ask Larry.” He gave thumbs up. I bet I could get them to eat liver, but I wouldn’t do that to anyone.

I agree he could . If he told them. to eat straw they would but only after he had the first serving

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Kev said:

Cheese and onion, my favourite... but with tomato??? I try to avoid those pesky little things. I was forced fed them when I was younger (first memories)... Now he can make liver and bacon any time for me. The boys are something special and I thing that is totally because of the man at the head of them. Dying to find out what is in that room... He must have a will made of steel... how could he walk away without exploring and finding out what was there? I'd have been the first one in there scurrying around... Love exploring old houses, used to visit stately homes and churches when mam was alive... was never the same once she died.

Absolutely loving the Knight and their leader...:2thumbs::thankyou:

I think it's odd how we develop our love or hate of particular types of food. I do to like fried liver, yet I enjoy liver pate. You figure

  • Like 4
Link to comment
CLJobe

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Billy Martin said:

Wonderful story.

Thank you. How would you have like to be taught by someone who practiced Adam's philosophy 

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Chris L said:

Wow, just getting back and 3 chapters to take in. So much happened that made me smile, become emotional, and laugh out loud all at the same time. Adam literally is close to walking on water! lol I too was intrigued by the reasoning of closing the rooms off and, after reading your explanation, had another thought as well ... if Ole Bagpipes was running a draconian institution, anything that would elicit fun would abnormal and should be boarded up. If behind the great wall in the basement truly is the gymnasium - with all of its' equipment still left in tact - we can surmise that Ole Bagpipes wasn't just a thief but also a very mean and unhappy person at heart that wanted to inflict the same on everyone around her ... except those she had to pay off in her embezzlement scheme in order for them to remain loyal and silent. 

I didn't think that but thinking about her greed, I believe she was a frustrated dungeon master who took her bitterness out on the boys. Maybe a man hater

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, he keeps introducing the the boys to new things ,they are open to a lots of new experiences, and they just lap it up, he is along the giving the. Life experiences

The sad thing is if the previous administration had the interest of the boys instead of their pockets, they could have enjoyed what Adam is enjoying, devotion of the boys.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Hlasota said:

I wonder why there is such bad press about liver.

 

I just know when my mother cooked it,. my dad loved liver and onions, I couldn't eat it, the taste of fried liver just didn't appeal to me. I've had barbecued liver and the same reaction,  I know some people think it it is very good and highly prize fried with onions. For me, it's the taste of fried liver.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I agree with Kev 100%. The idea of thin sliced onions on a grilled cheese sandwich gets my mouth to watering, but getting a slice of tomatoe in there — well, it would be too much like a hand-held pizza then. Not that pizza is bad, but for me it needs sliced sausage to make it complete. Oh hell, now I am drooling on the computer keyboard.

Mr Will

  • Like 1
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

I agree with Kev 100%. The idea of thin sliced onions on a grilled cheese sandwich gets my mouth to watering, but getting a slice of tomatoe in there — well, it would be too much like a hand-held pizza then. Not that pizza is bad, but for me it needs sliced sausage to make it complete. Oh hell, now I am drooling on the computer keyboard.

Mr Will

You are right in that you could make a grilled cheese sandwich a pizza sandwich.  You would have to replace the tomato with a tomato sauce or at least a tomato paste.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..