Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,051 Words
  • 2,175 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 106. Chapter 106

I called Dad, he was at the cabin and he wondered if I was planning on coming over for the weekend. I told him that will depend on my workload even though it appeared that James had it under control. I knew Maria wanted to get back to her Clinic.

Before I could do anything, I had to take a tour of the college and the Academy. From what I could tell the college will open for the fall term. Walking around the grounds, I was glad to be back. I stopped and saw Joe, he gave me an herb to smell. He said it was a cross between basil and cilantro. Clever boy

I went and checked on Anton, Marie being there as well may have helped me to make my decision. Hans was there as well as Marie. “Have you had a chance to examine him?”

“Yes, from what we can tell, his bones were broken at the thigh level, it looked like someone ran over him. If it was a car accident, the front seat must have broken and slammed into his legs. He said he was sitting behind his father.”

“It is hard to imagine a seat falling on him would break his legs.”

“I don’t think that was what broke his legs, I think when they tried to extricate him from the back seat was when his legs were broken.”

“Hans, ask him if he is comfortable?” I use Hans as my translator.

“He said that he wishes his grandmother was here. I think he’s a little afraid and lonely.”

“I’ll send some of the boys over to talk to him. I think we have some books in German, ask him if he would like to read a book?”

“He said he would like that.”

“Tell him I’ll send one over with a snack.”

I walked back to my office after getting a cup of coffee. “James, see if you can locate Gerry?”

“He’s in your office.”

I looked at him, he’s getting to know me very well. “Gerry, I have a project for you. Anton is bored, see if there is a book in the library that he might like to read and take a snack to him.”

Gerry just smiled, I got a hug and he was gone. “James, it appears that the college will be opened in the fall for students. I need to begin the search for instructors, I’d like them to be on board by the end of May or a little sooner. They will need to outline their courses as well as order books and anything else they may need.”

“Are you going to advertise or depend on friends?”

“I’ll call Henry but we should look at those who attended my summer seminars, there were a few that I thought held potential. Can you get me the list of attendees?”

I didn’t feel like doing much work, I must be getting old. After a goodnight's sleep, I’ll feel better as well as getting back to running.

“Doc, we need to inform Hans about bringing Anton over for Dinner.”

“So is he on his way?”

He just looked at me, “James, I know you already told him. I appreciate you taking the initiative.”

Actually, James was an excellent right-hand man. He made sure nothing drops through the holes. I signed invoices and checks until it was time for dinner. I need to get some people to do this.

Dinner was always a pick-me-up for me. The boys waited until Marie and I entered the Dining Hall, I stood at the front of the line like I always did, each boy got a pat on the shoulders as they passed in front of me. Hans had Anton and Lawrence was helping him with his tray. I watched as he would ask Hans what this was and what that was. When his tray was filled, Hans carried him to the table. I watched as the boys congregated around him. I think every boy who spoke German was within earshot of Anton. My boys certainly made him feel comfortable. If I know Hans, there will be a surprise for him after supper tonight.

“I’m not sure I’ll be going to the cabin tomorrow, but if I don’t I’ll see that you do. I have a few business meetings and I’m not sure how long they will last. If I can get a good night's sleep, it will help.” I got a jab in the side for that.

After supper, the boys sat around the table talking to Anton. I’m not sure what was said, my German is very weak. Hans looked at me and smiled so I knew everything would be ok. The boys didn’t have class the next day, but they were given homework assignments.

Marie and I met with Uncle to see what arrangements could be made for the operation. Marie suggested the hospital connected to her and Uncle’s university. I asked Doc to make the arrangements and let me know.

“Dad, can Anton stay in the dorms?”

“We’ll need someone to stay with him.”

“I’ll stay with him. The beds are big enough that a couple of boys can sleep in them.”

“Did you find a book for him to read?”

“Yes, I think he’ll be very interested in this book.”

“Gerry, Monday he will be leaving for the hospital to have his legs corrected. You may mention that to him but keep it upbeat. He’s probably scared, new country, new operation, and a totally new experiences.”

Friday morning I was beginning to feel like myself, I did go and run and soon enough my runners were with me. I had to take a few jabs at getting old. I ended up chasing them for one lap but I knew I couldn’t keep that up.

Finishing my run, giving the boys a hand wave, I headed to my room. Marie was still sleeping and I was thinking about joining her, but I needed a shower and when I finished she was awake.

“I’m not sure about going to the cabin tonight. It’ll depend on how much work I get done. But I’ll see where I am after dinner. If I don’t go, I’ll get Hans to drive you over.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 20
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

46 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

That college is building up very fast. This is not that important to the story but what laws and requirements did Adam have to meet to open a new college?It's obvious that Adam is qualified but I'm curious what he had to do. 

I love the way the kids are treating Anton.

I don't think there are any laws that would apply in this case since the college, like the Academy, is regulated outside of the USA. He did need a permit from the local government, he would need to pay taxes on the property and become accredited by the proper European authorities. Not sure about the USA.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Something fishy happened here and it needs to e reinvestigated!

It may be to late for an investigation.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, CLJobe said:

It may be to late for an investigation.

I think if Adam has Hans start digging, things will startcoming out, whether incompetence or something else. I have no doubt Adam can figure it out.

Edited by Clancy59
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Interesting chapter, it seems that Adam has way way more on his plate than he needs , I think that more help will be needed sooner rather than later, Anton is being very courageous, but it will hopefully get a lot better

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Things seem to be moving nicely, but worried about those legs. Why would they need to break the bone to free him of the car? Adam needs to look into this as others could be suffering if that is the level the rescue services are at.

Loving how Geary and Lawrence are stepping in with Anton as it sounds as if he has long road to recovery.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

I think if Adam has Hans start digging, things will startcoming out, whether incompetence or something else. I have no doubt Adam can figure it out.

I am not sure if Adam will ever get all of the facts. I would bet that the boy was extracted by untrained people. Probably local people who saw the accident.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, mikedup said:

Interesting chapter, it seems that Adam has way way more on his plate than he needs , I think that more help will be needed sooner rather than later, Anton is being very courageous, but it will hopefully get a lot better

Gerry has taken Anton under his wing. Adam has the support of his staff, which back him 100 percent. Marie gives him emotional support, that helps.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

Things seem to be moving nicely, but worried about those legs. Why would they need to break the bone to free him of the car? Adam needs to look into this as others could be suffering if that is the level the rescue services are at.

Loving how Geary and Lawrence are stepping in with Anton as it sounds as if he has long road to recovery.

Lawrence has taken on the role of big brother, not only for Anton but also for some of the other Knights. About the accident, I don't know how much Adam will be able to discover.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Things are moving along nicely.

Yes, and now we need to focus on the operation.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I am not sure if Adam will ever get all of the facts. I would bet that the boy was extracted by untrained people. Probably local people who saw the accident.

Adam will probably find out about this and make sure they have the proper training. 
 

Our faith is in Prince Adam! :joe:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

I think if Adam has Hans start digging, things will startcoming out, whether incompetence or something else. I have no doubt Adam can figure it out.

He would have to go back into France, that may not be possible at this time. The time to do the investigation would have been within a short time when the accident occurred.  Anton is 12 years old, it has been longer than 7 years since the accident.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

He would have to go back into France, that may not be possible at this time. The time to do the investigation would have been within a short time when the accident occurred.  Anton is 12 years old, it has been longer than 7 years since the accident.

OK. I’ll give on that one. 😉  I didn’t realize it had been so long.  
 

Adam can still arrange for proper training, if it hasn’t already been done.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

OK. I’ll give on that one. 😉  I didn’t realize it had been so long.  
 

Adam can still arrange for proper training, if it hasn’t already been done.

I think that could be a college course taught by the medical people 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hey, CLJ, I would recommend you learn the difference between 'to' and 'too'. That is one homophone which you mess up frequently and it is one of the easiest to learn correctly. It would make a lot of difference in your readibility.

I do not hold out much hope for the results of an investigation into Anton's accident; it just happened too many years ago. But the investigation process itself may disclose faults in the system that can be corrected or improved.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

Hey, CLJ, I would recommend you learn the difference between 'to' and 'too'. That is one homophone which you mess up frequently and it is one of the easiest to learn correctly. It would make a lot of difference in your readibility.

I do not hold out much hope for the results of an investigation into Anton's accident; it just happened too many years ago. But the investigation process itself may disclose faults in the system that can be corrected or improved.

Thanks or the tip. I'll be extra careful when I add a chapter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..